More Bloodshed In Bangkok As Red Siege Continues

webfact

It's strange how the international media always seem to leave out the 'Thaksin link' when they report on this. It's such an important piece in the puzzle that to me it even feels suspicious that they don't mention this, almost like he's greased a few palms in the west (oh it does happen!). Instead they talk about the 'rural poor' versus the 'elite', and associate the word democracy with the very people who ruin the very idea by happily selling their vote fot the price of a couple of beers!

I think that the bbc/cnn and the rest of these 'non-biased' organisations should get to the real truth which is far more interesting than the story which they're currently reporting.

Why don't they ask the red shirts how much they're getting paid? Ask them why they think Thaksin is so great and what he could do for the country should he return. Ask them how they think that Thaksin, as a convicted criminal, could possibly plan to be taken seriously by the international community, should he manage to bully his way back into office.

Ask them why they are using women and children as a human shield.

Ask them why they risk their lives for a greedy evil billionaire?

Why can't the press get an interview with Thaksin? A few well placed questions will simply destroy him.

Why don't the international media do their job rather than appearing to be the heroes in the danger zone, reporting alongside the red-shirt 'freedom fighters'?

My point? It appears that Thaksin has more than just a few red-shirts in his back pocket!!!

No blood and guts or area for sensational and manipulated reporting - the old adage "why let the truth get in the way of a good story"

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's strange how the international media always seem to leave out the 'Thaksin link' when they report on this. It's such an important piece in the puzzle that to me it even feels suspicious that they don't mention this, almost like he's greased a few palms in the west (oh it does happen!). Instead they talk about the 'rural poor' versus the 'elite', and associate the word democracy with the very people who ruin the very idea by happily selling their vote fot the price of a couple of beers!

I think that the bbc/cnn and the rest of these 'non-biased' organisations should get to the real truth which is far more interesting than the story which they're currently reporting.

Why don't they ask the red shirts how much they're getting paid? Ask them why they think Thaksin is so great and what he could do for the country should he return. Ask them how they think that Thaksin, as a convicted criminal, could possibly plan to be taken seriously by the international community, should he manage to bully his way back into office.

Why can't the press get an interview with Thaksin? A few well placed questions will simply destroy him.

Why don't the international media do their job rather than appearing to be the heroes in the danger zone, reporting alongside the red-shirt 'freedom fighters'?

My point? It appears that Thaksin has more than just a few red-shirts in his back pocket!!!

absolutely agree.

It's not strange to me. The international press especially the networks have to make their news stories less than 2 minutes, i.e. no one wants to think when they are watching TV. So they try to make it simple. The newspapers are similar. It would probably take a couple of pages at least to adequately explain this situation to the un-informed.

Unfortunately this is a very very complicated and convoluted situation. Thaksin and his allies have been building up this situation for more than a year. And this includes high-powered PR firms in Europe and US who create sound bites for the international media using half truths. This last week there was a report of yet another high-powered PR firm (from Holland I think) THaksin has hired to in essence put out bad propaganda on the current Thai Govt.

These simplified versions (half-truths leading to false conclusions ... usually 180 degrees from reality) that are being fed to the international media are usually bought hook line and sinker because ... well let's face it .... most international journalists, especially the ones not based in Thailand, cannot begin to understand all the complications and convolutions of Thai politics, who's related to whom, etc etc. These journalists can't even pronounce the names of the main Thai personalities ... and outside of a handfull of the leaders, some of them probably can't remember who is who.

In some cases they are being fed (in a sophisticated manner) nice well written soundbites that makes their job easy especially if they simply characterize this as a "rich" against "poor". THaksin and his machine have been feeding the UK media this jibberish (indirectly and in a sophisticated manner) for years already. That's why the BBC and Economist have been so far off on this situation. And those two institutions don't like to admit they are wrong.

The danger is ... some of this crap is being quoted and used to "document" other similarly misled news articles ... the international media begins to start quoting each other to substantiate their own articles ..... and this is how history is re-written in these modern times.

The Thai Government needs to fight Thaksin on this front also.

Of course what people think it Thailand matters more. However Thaksin will never quit trying to overthrow the Govt here as long as he continues to get sympathy from abroad. After all he lives abroad he doesn't live here in Thailand, he doesn't care what people think in Thailand. Although he could be a bit insane if he really believes that a majority of people in Thailand like him. His party won those elections on his money and also using the same tactics .... using half-truths to spin a story and sound bites that unsophisticated people will believe.

It is the same tactics now. Anyone who has listened to that red shirt propaganda crap knows what I have said is true.

Thai people (and farang too) who understand politics and what has happened here in the political arena over the past 10 years know that this is an insurrection and a power play by Thaksin (and and few other wealthy and influencial people) who expect to make millions (billions of baht) out of this when they win and take over "Thailand incorporated".

In the end it may indeed be "rich against poor" but the international media has mis-identified who is the "rich" in this mess.

Edited by rogerdee123

:) Excellent post!

Couldn't agree more..

Couldn't agree less. If you think that the likes of the BBC are biased in this, then I suggest you consider the possibility that the bias is within yourself.

For a very long time now very few people on the red side has seemed particularly interested in Thaksin. (With a couple exceptions). They know they're on their own now.

Secondly, to think that protesters risking life and limb to bring wounded people to safety under live fire are doing this for 550 baht a day is quite sick. Clearly they believe in a cause, rightly or wrongly.

International news media realize this. Local "mainsteam" (LOL) news media just want to paint one side black. (==bias)

Could`nt agree Less..... This is ALL about Thaksin and his money..!!

Has anybody else seen the news footage of the soldiers truck being ambushed, the few soldiers who were in it being pulled from the cab and the rear and then the soldier being shot by his own gun?

It was linked to quite a few posts on TV yesterday.

Yeah, but there no reports of the soldier dying and the red-supporters on here are still harping on about the reds being unarmed. I appreciate the gun may have been taken from the soldier but are we to believe that if a Red did take it, he has since returned it??

What a load of tosh, paid terrorists, evil billionaires, using women and children as a human shield

These are just your opinions. Respectable news stations try to stick to the facts which is why none of your content is reflected there.

I am no fan of Thaksin but I have to agree with you.

People putting their lives at risk for Bt500 a day?

More to the point what I see from the TV is that (1) there has been no military action attempting to penetrate the Reds area. (2) All the action has been at the fringes so (3) women, children within their camp are not really affected (4) while the military are supposed to be closing down the camp it appears to me that the more 'aggressive Reds' are actually taking the battle to them.

here is a report from a spot where unarmed red shirts were shot repeatedly...by Thai soldiers. If it is true that there is only shooting by the military in self defense, then why were these guys shot up? rivetting stuff:

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2...e-killing-zone/

They look like innocent civilian just passing by, don't they?

Just passing by a war-zone! Unbelievable....

here is a report from a spot where unarmed red shirts were shot repeatedly...by Thai soldiers. If it is true that there is only shooting by the military in self defense, then why were these guys shot up? rivetting stuff:

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2...e-killing-zone/

They look like innocent civilian just passing by, don't they?

Just passing by a war-zone! Unbelievable....

My point exactly.......!

They are here on purpose.....at their own risk.....

Does this make sense?

The Thai military leader tells the press that there are now only 5000 people holding the area of Bangkok.

So the thai military cannot push out 5000 men women and children?

I see the area there and know it well.

NO way could 5000 people hold that area.

So why is it the Thai military cannot push them out?

After all we see Thai military snipers shooting and killing unarmed civilians on the streets. They have shot 4 reporters.

BUT--they seem unwilling to go toward the shopping area.

Why do you suppose that is?

Here is what I hear, and know Thai officers personally.

While it might be true that there are 5000 to 10000 in the immediate area of the old World trade, it is also true that there is likely at least another 10,000 and very likely many more Thai reds all around the area ready to attack.

Now I do not have to tell you all how bad it is for a military attack to be flanked from behind.

Imagine charging toward machine gun, bazooka, and military rifle fire and then to be attacked from behind and from all sides.

Now maybe some of you believe that the Thai army is afraid to attack unarmed Thais with spears and slingshots but I do not think that is what they fear. They fear those men in black that are all over the area and who are eager to take revenge for the loss of their Thai General, shot while doing an interview.

I hear that assassinations can go both ways.

The Thai military is afraid it will split apart soon.

If it does, where will you run too?

I'am shure it will find a end in the next days. Not completly, but for now.

The 2 month school holidays finish next week and the most Woman and Kids must go home.

Than they lose the last protectionshield and the army can go inside full.

I think the onliest way to stop the disaster is a new election. But even that will not solve all problems. Who knows, perhaps then after it give again a military coup ..., or the yellow shirts start crazy ..., or ... the farangs start demonstrate, ..... :-)

I don't know ....

For those of you that have Facebook... Someone uploading a video...

People taking cover from what looks like sniper fire... Ide like to know what they are doing there and why they were getting shot at...

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=123968350962277

Anybody entering a 'war-zone' runs the risk of being pinned down by gunfire. What makes you think it is 'sniper fire'? The simple solution to this is don't enter a war-zone unless you have a dam_n good reason to do so!

True, might not be sniper but they are obviously being fired at from someone... And yes they shouldnt be in a live fire area... But at the same time you have to remember that the soldiers should still follow rules of engagement and, at least from what you can see on the vid, they are unarmed...

There are also too many people involved to make assumptions on whos shooting who.. Is it the army shooting reds, the blacks shooting the army, the reds shooting the arm or the reds shooting other reds and the army..

Anyone still in this area needs to go home for their own safety!!! Too many lunatics running around with guns... regardless of what side they are on...

Absolutely agree. You can;t see from the video who is responsible for what does sound like gun-fire and from their obvious terrified jerks, it does look as though they are iin the firing line, so to speak. However, I still find it unbelievable that anybody who is not directly involved is in an area that has the potential to explode at any second. Suicide!!

The BBC is World renowned as being unbiased as they are not politically controlled and not owned by profit seeking investors, its where reporters can report without hindrance from upstairs, Does not make them right but makes them unbiased CNN probably the same, slightly different from THE NATION

after the david kelly assasination, cover-up, almost exposure but then all the decent people at the bbc were fired; most of them now are with al-jazera.

every incident of violence, every drop of blood, will be written on the stone of Abhisit's government, that is his portfolio forever :-(

sadly, this is exactly the trap that the reds prepared from the day one - they want 'blood' !

reds are screaming for democracy, yet how many of them today who has the heart for a better tomorrow, not even for a better future for the country ?

STOP VIOLENCE, STOP ATTACKING, STOP RIOT !!

The BBC is World renowned as being unbiased as they are not politically controlled and not owned by profit seeking investors, its where reporters can report without hindrance from upstairs, Does not make them right but makes them unbiased CNN probably the same, slightly different from THE NATION

Good point about BBC reporters being less in thrall to their owners, but bias can be simply the product of one's background, context, identification with peers ("groupthink"), education, etc.

We all see things from one of a range of possible perspectives. BBC and other western reporters tend to come out of a similar mindset. They are not intentionally biased (i.e. giving the boss what he wants), but they are biased nevertheless, as are all the rest of us.

As you say, one can be conscientiously "neutral", but still misled and confused.

every incident of violence, every drop of blood, will be written on the stone of Abhisit's government, that is his portfolio forever :-(

sadly, this is exactly the trap that the reds prepared from the day one - they want 'blood' !

reds are screaming for democracy, yet how many of them today who has the heart for a better tomorrow, not even for a better future for the country ?

STOP VIOLENCE, STOP ATTACKING, STOP RIOT !!

[b]A big Texan stopped at a local restaurant following a day roaming around in Mexico .

While sipping his tequila, he noticed a sizzling, scrumptious looking platter being served at the next table. Not only did it look good, the smell was wonderful. He asked the waiter, 'What is that you just served?'

The waiter replied, 'Ah senor, you have excellent taste! Those are called Cojones de Toro, bull's testicles from the bull fight this morning. A delicacy!'

The cowboy said, 'What the heck, bring me an order.' The waiter replied, 'I am so sorry senor. There is only one serving per day because there is only one bull fight each morning. If you come early and place your order, we will

be sure to save you this delicacy.'

The next morning, the cowboy returned, placed his order, and that evening was served the one and only special delicacy of the day.. After a few bites, inspecting his platter, he called to the waiter and said, 'These are delicious, but they are much, much smaller than the ones I saw you serve

yesterday.'

The waiter shrugged his shoulders and replied, 'Si, Senor. Sometimes the bull wins.'[/b]

[/size]

Yeah, but there no reports of the soldier dying and the red-supporters on here are still harping on about the reds being unarmed. I appreciate the gun may have been taken from the soldier but are we to believe that if a Red did take it, he has since returned it??

From all accounts 90% of Reds are probably unarmed.

Of the 10% that are armed 7 out of 10 of them have peashooters etc. There are clearly (imho) some well trained, well armed agitators within the mob but very few.

Look one thing you see in every video is that when anyone gets hurt be it a soldier or a Red, everyone does everything they can to see he gets immediate medical care. There is no real animosity between the army and the Reds.

What I do not understand is why a trained army cannot handle this situation.

This fight is going to go on and on and on....

I do not think it will take 5 years or 3.

This fight will end in a bloody French like revolution unless the idiots on the elite side wise up.

There is NO chance of that so the Battle of Bangkok has likely begun.

Banks will be attacked and burned down.

The airport will be wrecked and closed down.

This place will end up looking like Beirut after its war.

War is hel_l and Bangkok is now where Satin is partying.

I thought they were peaceful protesters wanting democracy.

Is this the sort of RED DEMOCRACY we should expect if they are in power?

This fight is going to go on and on and on....

I do not think it will take 5 years or 3.

This fight will end in a bloody French like revolution unless the idiots on the elite side wise up.

There is NO chance of that so the Battle of Bangkok has likely begun.

Banks will be attacked and burned down.

The airport will be wrecked and closed down.

This place will end up looking like Beirut after its war.

War is hel_l and Bangkok is now where Satin is partying.

Well, you're just a little bundle of sunshine, aren't you? :)

What he says is sad, but it is very true IMO

I grew up in Quebec Canada during the FLQ uprising

and this situation is very similar ...

Does this make sense?

The Thai military leader tells the press that there are now only 5000 people holding the area of Bangkok.

So the thai military cannot push out 5000 men women and children?

I see the area there and know it well.

NO way could 5000 people hold that area.

So why is it the Thai military cannot push them out?

After all we see Thai military snipers shooting and killing unarmed civilians on the streets. They have shot 4 reporters.

BUT--they seem unwilling to go toward the shopping area.

Why do you suppose that is?

Here is what I hear, and know Thai officers personally.

While it might be true that there are 5000 to 10000 in the immediate area of the old World trade, it is also true that there is likely at least another 10,000 and very likely many more Thai reds all around the area ready to attack.

Now I do not have to tell you all how bad it is for a military attack to be flanked from behind.

Imagine charging toward machine gun, bazooka, and military rifle fire and then to be attacked from behind and from all sides.

Now maybe some of you believe that the Thai army is afraid to attack unarmed Thais with spears and slingshots but I do not think that is what they fear. They fear those men in black that are all over the area and who are eager to take revenge for the loss of their Thai General, shot while doing an interview.

I hear that assassinations can go both ways.

The Thai military is afraid it will split apart soon.

This is urban guerrilla warfare. unfortunately 500 armed fighters (who know what they are doing) could tie down the Thai military in Bangkok (especially when the military is trying to limit the effect on civilians) indefinitely.

But I don't think they really know what they are doing ... but if it's a military solution you are looking for, it won't happen.

This will end when one side is unquestionably winning.

I would say watch the news for the Red (or Govt) leaders and allies to start fleeing the country or going into hiding... this will be the sign that there is hope (?) and the end of this is near.

Edited by rogerdee123

The Nation story says:

"By 4pm, a Dusit Poll revealed a disturbing figure: 51 per cent of respondents backed the military crackdown. It's not clear what the other 49 per cent thought."

Disturbing to which side? I would think that adjective should be ONLY 51 percent backed the crackdown. It's a cr*p story at any rate, but if only that percentage backs its own government in clearing a mob engaged in a host of illegal activities it shows strong support for the underclass activists.

I was surprised by the word "disturbing" myself, but for the rest, you couldn't be wronger. It does not show strong support, it shows that not even half the population(*) is against moving them out by force.

Edit: (*) - The poll-pulation, of course.

No one wants this people to be moved by force, but most do wants the protesters to go and peace to be returned. However, that didn't happen.

They look like innocent civilian just passing by, don't they? Just passing by a war-zone! Unbelievable....

"At lunch time I went to Samliem Din Daeng to observe the protesters there. There were a few protesters around, not more than a few hundred. Lots of debris from last night’s clashes. A burned out military truck, still smoldering. People brought tires to build barricades. A municipal water truck was brought.

After a while the protesters moved the truck along Rajaparop Road towards the military lines, to use as a barricade against army fire. A few protesters moved a few dozen tires to build a barricade. One of the protesters joked around with a slingshot, in front of the cameras of us photographers: “See – that are our weapons against the soldiers”."

moving vehicles towards the army lines, building barricades, 'pretending' to throw something with a slingshot.....

all this in a 'life fire zone' and you don't expect a lethal response?

They look like innocent civilian just passing by, don't they? Just passing by a war-zone! Unbelievable....

"At lunch time I went to Samliem Din Daeng to observe the protesters there. There were a few protesters around, not more than a few hundred. Lots of debris from last night's clashes. A burned out military truck, still smoldering. People brought tires to build barricades. A municipal water truck was brought.

After a while the protesters moved the truck along Rajaparop Road towards the military lines, to use as a barricade against army fire. A few protesters moved a few dozen tires to build a barricade. One of the protesters joked around with a slingshot, in front of the cameras of us photographers: "See – that are our weapons against the soldiers"."

moving vehicles towards the army lines, building barricades, 'pretending' to throw something with a slingshot.....

Agreed. It's suicidal thinking! I guess you were wearing a green press arm band at the time? If not, what the he_ll do you think you were doing going there??

Live firing zone

"CRES emphasised troops are following the law and international standard practice in handling with the crowd but the protest leaders used armed supporters to attack security checkpoints and during the officials' operation, Mr Sathit said.

Acting government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn added troops are largely outside the Ratchaprasong rally site and at their checkpoints but they were attacked by armed protesters, so they had no choice, but to respond to the attacks.

Mr Panitan reiterated security forces will use live ammunition only to protect their own lives and the general public, as well as to stop armed groups from attacking people."

http://www.mcot.net/cfcustom/cache_page/56...14493a607910329

"However, there are groups of armed militants out there, trying to stop the security forces from doing their work. I insist that our containment policy is necessary as we cannot allow the movement to use armed militants to overthrow the government.

"This policy is currently the only way to restore law and order in this country, as we earlier attempted to use other methods, such as holding negotiations [but they failed]. Now we need to have the protesters end their rallies if we wish to see minimum losses.

"As long as there are rallies, there will be attacks from armed militants. Hence, I asked the public to cooperate with authorities by getting themselves out of the current conflict so that officials can do their work on your behalf," the premier said.

Abhisit also urged the public to be cautious about rumours and untrue stories as his administration remained committed to a free press.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/...n-30129461.html

bold added for focus

True true... I hope people now get the message and go home... They were lucky to get away with their lives...

This is urban guerrilla warfare. unfortunately 500 armed fighters (who know what they are doing) could tie down the Thai military in Bangkok (especially when the military is trying to limit the effect on civilians) indefinitely.

But I don't think they really know what they are doing ... but if it's a military solution you are looking for, it won't happen.

This will end when one side is unquestionably winning.

I would say watch the news for the Red (or Govt) leaders and allies to start fleeing the country or going into hiding... this will be the sign that there is hope (?) and the end of this is near.

thaksin family, chavalit and a couple more have already fled apparrently.

For those of you that have Facebook... Someone uploading a video...

People taking cover from what looks like sniper fire... Ide like to know what they are doing there and why they were getting shot at...

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=123968350962277

Anybody entering a 'war-zone' runs the risk of being pinned down by gunfire. What makes you think it is 'sniper fire'? The simple solution to this is don't enter a war-zone unless you have a dam_n good reason to do so!

being shot at?? BS then I would not relaxed look on my mobile like the guy in white is doing, and a sniper, then you wouldn't be able to video this because a sniper spots you and you'll be the target.