10.04 Install Trouble

edwardrake

downloaded 10.04 OK, twice to be sure the size was right, 716,230 Kb on both. Burned ISO to 3 Princo disks.

Burn process appeared normal on all 3 disks.

CD#1 shows empty, CD#2 shows all files, CD#3 shows full in Properties but shows no files in Explore. Bad DVD writer? bad disks?

On reboot from #2 CD, (boot from CD is set as first choice in BIOS) ,, machine does not recognize CD & boots straight through to XP.

If I reboot with an XP OS disk in the CD writer I get the prompt to press any key to boot from CD.

Any ideas?

Are you sure you try to install Ubuntu? Ubuntu 10.04 LTS comes on only one CD and the size of the CD-image is 697.6 MB (ISO file). Some download sites also offer you a Ubuntu 10.04 LTS DVD but that one is 4.1 GB.

If you keep getting the problems with the CD/DVD it is very likely that your DVD writer/player has problems, especially that booting from a Windows XP os disk also produces a negative effect.

Edited by Richard-BKK

Richard-BKK, here's where I downloaded from http://www.ubuntu.com/

I explained things badly, the machine will boot from the XP disk in the CD tray but not the Ubuntu disk. BIOS is set to fire up from CD first.

lost_in_space & dave_boo, last effort was at 8x, no go.

Is there someone in HH who would set things up for consideration of course.

Please PM if so I'd like to get Ubuntu running in the next few days if poss,,,

Edited by edwardrake

Richard-BKK, here's where I downloaded from http://www.ubuntu.com/

I explained things badly, the machine will boot from the XP disk in the CD tray but not the Ubuntu disk. BIOS is set to fire up from CD first.

lost_in_space & dave_boo, last effort was at 8x, no go.

Is there someone in HH who would set things up for consideration of course.

Please PM if so I'd like to get Ubuntu running in the next few days if poss,,,

This link may get you up and running, but please note that it's only 32 bit if that's a problem...

Actually when I think about it, maybe I saw this behavior on Karmic once... but I just dismissed it as a CD player problem in the machine I was going to install.

It had previously been installed with WinXP by our It department so the CD-player probably worked at that time.

I didn't have time to find out and I always carry a bootable USB stick but it was an older version Jaunty and I just let it install and the upgraded while I was doing other things...

That whole operation was without any problems...

Martin

When you manage to boot with the UBUNTU CD you can also make a CD check from the main menu on boot to verify the written data. But generally once you can boot there shouldnt be any issues.

Princo CDs are often sensitive, so we burn ISOs often with 4x or slower to make sure the process works.

Old princo CDs often degrade with time (even if not used) so they cant get data written on them.

regards

Tibor