Tourist visa vs non-immigrant visa

In the middle of March I leave to Thailand to complete some dive courses. This will take 2 or 3 months. Afterwards I will look for a job as dive instructor in Thailand.

Can I already try to get a multiple entry non-immigrant visa instead of a double entry tourist visa? Does this make a difference in getting easier a work permit after my education?

Which type of non-immigrant visa can I already apply for? The diving organization of Thailand is willing to send a fax to the Thai Consulate in my country in order that I can apply for a multiple entry non - immigrant O visa (or maybe a B visa). Does this make sense, because I have understand that I will need a non-immigrant B visa to get a work permit?

Once I have found a job after my education, what do I have to do then for being conform with the Regulations of visa and work permit (in the case that I have not yet a B visa)?

Thanks in advance for replying!

Hello Saskia, amd welcome to Thailand Expat Forum.

Yes, you can try to get a "NON-B" instead of a Tourist "TR", but it's not sure they will give it to you without a supporting letter.

Can you ask the diving company to issue a supporting letter,

Example letter ?

Attach that letter with your NON-B application, copy of the company papers, and it will be more easy. What nationality are you?

A NON-B is your choice, beacuse then you don't need to change visa and travel out again in order to apply for a work permit.

The embassy/consulate would NOT accept fax normally, you better bring the original letter on a decent letterhead with company chop etc.

For work permit

read here.

Good luck!

Dear George,

Thanks for your reply.

My nationality is belge.

As I have understand my best choice would be trying to get a multiple entry non-immigrant B visa. You said that I need an original letter from the diving organisation. Is it OK if they send me the letter by e-mail and that I will accompany this letter with the visa B application form?

If I cannot get a B visa, does it makes then any sense to apply for an O visa?

Thanks...

• 2 weeks later...
I'M 44 yrs. old single.  Living in Thailand for past 5 yrs.  I own 2 condos and recently purchased a house creating a Thai Ltd. "sleeper" company.  I have copy of my company license and share-holder certificate.  No tax papers, financial statement, or work permit as there is no activity in my company.  I need a non-immigrant visa to renew my Thai driver's license.  Lately its been a problem getting a new visa in SEA.  I don't plan on going back to the U.S. as I am redoing the house.  What can be done?  What are the chances of getting a one year multiple entry visa.  I was planning on going to Manila or maybe Jakarta.  Last time Manila only issued a single entry saying I could extension in BKK when I get my work permit.  Needles to say I didn't try as I don't work.  Jakarta gave me double entry but, that was over 2 yrs. ago without any company "I just said I was an investor and showed copies of my condo deed.  Phnom Phen wanted all my tax papers and financial statements.  They only gave me "TR" visa but, with 3 entries.   Any suggestions?  Thanks ???

Thanks for the quick reply. Should I also take my condo title deeds and bank passbook copies for additional supportive information.  Will this help or hurt? In using your sample letter I notice it does not state nature of business.  Should this be included? And what if any?  Also if I state my possition as Managing Director is this O.K.? Thanks ???  

dr.-pat-pong.  Thanks for the quick advice.  Just one more detail. My U.S. passport is chock full of Thai visas Non-Immigrant and "TR" from Cambo and P.I. Could this be a problem?  Hate to fly all the way to Brisbane and get turned down as in Cambo and P.I.  Thanks for your advice. ???

If I go to Brisane as suggested on this forum and receive a One Year Multiple Entry "B" Visa but, get no work permit on return will this be a problem? Or will they ask for work permit applying for a re-entry?  Thanks ???