BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
iainiain101

Curfew In Chiang Mai & Situation Updates

In view of the current situation, could we have a thread with no political views, just news, sightings and warinings for Chiang Mai.

For instance yesterdays red shirt procession around the moat and onwards. Whether you support it, hate it or just dont care is not the point. It was a potentially volatile situation which I would like to try and avoid with my family.

Obviously there will not be daily updates (I hope), so could this thread, or one set up for the process be pinned by the mods?

Thanks

Iain

.....ok, this just in, smoke sighted near CM gate, believed to be red shirts burning charcoal in anticipation of grilling chicken.

Very quiet in CM, nothing different from any other day. Businesses open, people going to work and hard to tell we are in the same country as Bangkok.

Warden Message - TRAVEL WARNING: THAILAND‏ Monday, May 17, 2010 4:32:15 PM

Travel Warning: Thailand

Travel Warning

United States Department of State

Bureau of Consular Affairs

Washington, DC 20520

THAILAND

May 15, 2010

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens traveling to and residing in Thailand of ongoing political demonstrations and unrest in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Due to escalating violence in central Bangkok, including gunfire near the U.S. Embassy, demonstrations in Chiang Mai, and other incidents throughout Thailand, U.S. citizens should defer all travel to Bangkok and defer all non-essential travel to the rest of Thailand. The Department of State has authorized the departure of all non-emergency U.S. government personnel and eligible family members from Bangkok. This replaces the Travel Alert dated April 28, 2010, and is in response to updated information on increased violence and security concerns. The Department of State recommends against travel to Bangkok and non-essential travel to Thailand at this time.

Warden Message - TRAVEL WARNING: THAILAND‏ Monday, May 17, 2010 4:32:15 PM

Travel Warning: Thailand

Travel Warning

United States Department of State

Bureau of Consular Affairs

Washington, DC 20520

THAILAND

May 15, 2010

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens traveling to and residing in Thailand of ongoing political demonstrations and unrest in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Due to escalating violence in central Bangkok, including gunfire near the U.S. Embassy, demonstrations in Chiang Mai, and other incidents throughout Thailand, U.S. citizens should defer all travel to Bangkok and defer all non-essential travel to the rest of Thailand. The Department of State has authorized the departure of all non-emergency U.S. government personnel and eligible family members from Bangkok. This replaces the Travel Alert dated April 28, 2010, and is in response to updated information on increased violence and security concerns. The Department of State recommends against travel to Bangkok and non-essential travel to Thailand at this time.

Dont panic dont panic sh*t panic panic run for the hills..........

demostrations in Chiang Mai?

On my travels today I went to City Hall, and found one sleepy policeman at the gate as I drove in. Apart from the odd barricade, all was normal.

The only part that was not normal, was the road alongside the government offices that heads up to the 700 year stadium. They have increased the height of the barricades and topped them off with razor wire!!

Do they know something we don't?

post-7622-1274093120_thumb.jpg

post-7622-1274093134_thumb.jpg

post-7622-1274093149_thumb.jpg

Maybe it's the times but the wife and I were in Carrefour around 2:30 this afternoon and the store had very few customers, I mean like hardly any. Just by the absence it was like someone was speaking. :)

Which Carrefour? The one in Hang Dong is usually fairly quiet.

David

Which Carrefour? The one in Hang Dong is usually fairly quiet.

David

Sorry. The Carrefour on the super highway its alwasy packed but not this afternoon.

FYI, The US Embassy in Bangkok has finally gotten a clue and changed their "Town Hall Meeting" to be online this time. This will allow those of us outside of BKK to participate as well.

The announcement and details can be found here:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/051810townhall_meeting.html

UPDATED: AMERICAN TOWN HALL NOTICE

Due to ongoing security and safety concerns, the Town Hall for American citizens in Thailand scheduled for Tuesday, May 18 at 2:00pm has been re-formatted into a virtual Town Hall meeting to be held on-line. This will allow for a greater number of American citizens residing in Thailand to participate in a discussion with the Ambassador, the Embassy Security Officer and our American Citizens Services Chief.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause but believe this will be a more effective means of reaching the greatest number of people without putting them in harm’s way. The safety of American citizens remains our primary concern.

The virtual Town Hall meeting will be held from 4:00-5:00pm on Tuesday, May 18.

1. To join us go to https://statedept.connectsolutions.com/bangkok

2. Enter as Guest (type your desired screen name)

3. Submit your question

The Ambassador and other key embassy officials will be available to take your questions.

If you are unable to join us, a transcript of the webchat will be made available on our Embassy website at http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/

Questions may be submitted in advance of the Town Hall webchat beginning at 8:00am on the morning of Tuesday, May 18 (Bangkok time). Just enter the site above to submit your question.

-Mestizo

Let's all hope this thread dies from a lack of situations in Chiang Mai to update.

Let's all hope this thread dies from a lack of situations in Chiang Mai to update.

I'll second that idea TD.

Anyone else lost their True/UBC signal? All of our channels have been out since late afternoon. Normally I'd chalk it up to poor service, but these days I can't help but wonder...

Edited by cm das