Curfew In Chiang Mai & Situation Updates

iainiain101

Doi Saket District is a big place.. Doesn't have to refer to the town I guess?

The Chiang Mai Mail has reports of people burning tyres in Doi Saket district this afternoon

You are correct Mr. WTK but a reputable news organization would give a location not a tung in cheek comment.

Apologies for the delay, I am not on ThaiVisa regularly. Huay Hong Krai according to the police report we received.

It was also announced at the weekly press conference at City Hall this morning that the Army and police will be setting up joint checkpoints around the city starting around 6 PM today.

The Army bus that was torched was parked at a garage for repairs when it was set it on fire.

Thank you Chiang Mai Mail for your response and update.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess its a civil war when the visa stampers get new bosses? Be easy enough to hide from trouble in Chiang Mai but for the visa runs...tick tock.. over$tay paranoia creeping in. Be very interesting to hear what the US consulate here advises if the kee hits the padlom - (although I dont believe it will up here)

I've got a visa extention today w/o any problems.

So the current situation in the north is that a few tyres were burned in the countryside and a firework was thrown at a bank's atm at 2am the other day. In England children commit these sorts of acts all the time but they aren't reported as attempts to overthrow the government. It's commonly know as hooliganism.

Edited by Loaded

Now this is a fact. There are about 200 red shirts are positioned in front of the governor's throwing firecrackers and they have just started a fire on the lawn and brought a bunch of tires to burn. They are walking up and down the bridge throwing the yellow flags into the river. Some have just started to build a barricade on the Chiang Mai-Lamphun side of the bridge. The police have the road closed off. More people seem to be showing up.

There are a bunch of idiots in the group and most have their faces covered up.

I heard that a large number of petrol bombs (those small ones in m-150 bottles) have been stockpiled today in cm. the reds seem to be waiting for some kind of a signal from their leaders to go for sala klang but that obviously isn't going to come now considering what nattawut was saying prior to getting arrested.

hopefully peace will prevail.

Does anyone live near the railway station? Can they confirm where the black smoke is coming from? I can see it from my balcony off of Nimmenhaemen Rd. It looks like a huge fire or something.

Confirmed reports that the Red Shirts are trying to blockade Narawat Bridge with burning tyres, shooting on the scene. Our MD was just there and reported gunfire and we have a reporter on the scene who was punched by one of the Red shirts.

Edited by ChiangMaiMail

OK, as had to go town anyway (I live near Mai Rim), I decided to see for myself. This is between 2:00PM and 3:00PM. Things can change.

I saw virtually no activity at City Hall as I went into town. On my way home. as I approached City Hall, I saw a large amount of smoke which was disconcerting, but it turned out to be a good sized brush fire, unrelated. There was a group of maybe 30 people near City Hall with some red flags and busy on their cell phones, but not creating any problem.

I rode by the Red Shirt encampment in Chiang Mai. There were an estimated 100 people listening to speeches. Soon some small groups excitedly left, picking up bamboo sticks on the way. They were giving motions like "follow me", but not many did.

post-3361-1274256219_thumb.jpg

I later found that group on Narrawat Bridge wielding signs in Thai and one in English saying "Help Us Please". They were on the side of the road, and although there was some traffic congestion, a couple of cops were directing traffic, and there was not much of a problem.

Now, the Railway Station. They have set up a stage in the car park (WHY do they let them do that?) and it is full of cars, although not that many people yet. I rode around the traffic circle immediately in front of the entrance to the terminal and there did not seem to be any impediment to traffic.

post-3361-1274256269_thumb.jpg post-3361-1274256338_thumb.jpgpost-3361-1274256367_thumb.jpg

I am hearing on CNN as I type this, the demonstrations in BKK are allegedly over. Whether that will affect the above is anybody's guess.

yes, i was just heading into town from my home by nawarat bridge and had to turn back. they've blocked off the bridge and it looks like they've set fire to the governor's mansion - or at least to some tyres in front of it. big fire with thick black smoke so it must be tyres.

the scene is either portentous with danger or fraught with pointlessness. i couldn't tell. one man kindly advised me to step away from an electrical box that seemed to have had its wires cut - maybe to the traffic lights.

a police truck went by and everyone started screaming at them to get out of there and they sped away as if frightened. lots of guys with handkerchiefs covering their faces. lots of lookie-loos just hanging around. kids, old ladies. a "festive" atmosphere.

just got home and the sound of firecrackers and small explosives can still be heard.

no idea what they plan to do, but i'm staying in.

given that chiang mai is red shirt friendly what can they hope to accomplish by screwing up their stomping grounds? is it all a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing, or is there something to be gained?

Chiang Mai: shooting at Narawat Bridge just near the Night Bazaar in the last 15 mins - red shirts trying to block the bridge and burning tyres etc. STAY RIGHT AWAY.

Source: ThaiVisa News

There were no tyres or rowdyism when I passed about 2:45PM, but I guess things can change rapidly. I would like to see some confirmation of this report.

According to the Breaking News section on TV shots have been fired there

Best we all STAY AWAY..or better still STAY AT HOME for the rest of the day...better safe than sorry

My Wife was just about to go shopping at AP Plaza, but I have convinced her its really better not to go toady, just see how things pan out over the rest of the day.

IMO this thing is far from over

Edited by ThaiPauly

As posted in the other thread, this is not a friendly scene, one of our reporters is on the scene and has been punched by a red shirt. He has been told to get out of there now.

There are hundreds there, the Bridge has been closed, and shots have been reported (not just firecrackers).

Edited by ChiangMaiMail

Chiang Mai: shooting at Narawat Bridge just near the Night Bazaar in the last 15 mins - red shirts trying to block the bridge and burning tyres etc. STAY RIGHT AWAY.

yes, saw it myself. no shooting i don't think - just firecrackers. but a big pile of burning tyres in front of the governor's mansion. i commented in another thread.

I can confirm this. This was announced in our school just as it was letting out today. We are not to use/pass the Nawarat bridge on our way home. Burning tires and people shouting as another poster mentioned. It is a great hassle to me as I live along the CM-Lamphun road and is a long way home via the highways.

I don't understand what they hope to accomplish by this. Perhaps just some agitators, but who knows what they're capable of? Let's hope this doesn't escalate to the level of the Bangkok crisis.

Edited by freeurmind2

yes, saw it myself. no shooting i don't think - just firecrackers. but a big pile of burning tyres in front of the governor's mansion. i commented in another thread.

sorry, i could be wrong. other threads say that has been some shooting. of what i can't imagine. into the air?

just about to set off to open the bar , down end of loi kroh , not sure if i should stay at home ? :)

I really saw little out of the ordinary in town, until I went looking for it ( I don't plan on making a habit of that). The groups I did see were relatively small and were not creating problems. This can change quickly. One has to use their own judgment I guess.

Two other topics merged into this one, so you will need to read back to get all posts-- if they seem a bit odd its because I had to merge two threads into one. Please try to keep these kinds of things in one thread, thanks.

decided to venture back out to the 711 by nawarat and everything seemed oddly quieter than fifteen minutes before. but that was because they closed off the river road (that runs behind good view and riverside, etc).

i drove up to the intersection and there were hardly any people around anymore but the lamp post was on fire and there were some small barricades set on fire. the police booth had had its windows smashed in. a few young lads were scuttling around with smashing utensils in their hands. there didn't seem to be much of a plan. i wonder where all the crowds went.

when i got to 7-11 the door had been newspapered up and a sign up that said "closed!!!" but i opened the door and they served me anyway. i guess my green shirt helped.

Police were diverting traffic from Nawarat bridge at 1500. Went around to Rim Ping condo to get to CMIS. Went home (hang dong rd) via moat , downtown no problem. The fireworks were going off in bridge area. Police doing what they do best, nothing, directing traffic away from police barricade.

a few military helicopters just went overhead. sounds of a woman talking over a loudspeaker echoing from far away.

hopefully they won't burn down chiang mai the way they're now burning down bangkok. several shopping malls there are on fire.

Guest siamjourney

Police are not allowing people to turn down Chang Moi road at Mike's Hamburger intersection. Also Taipai road had a few dozen police marching up from the river towards the gate with riot shields about 15 minutes shouting in Thai "Go away! Danger!"

I'm staying away from any potential hotspots today. I don't have tv here, so am listening online to some local radio news. I'm waiting for a CM update, but it seems quite a bit of stone throwing and glass breaking over in Udorn since just after noon. Here's the CM radio link for any people wanting Thai news in Thai, it's 93.25 FM

http://radiotime.com/station/s_1699/Radio_...ngmai_9325.aspx