Curfew In Chiang Mai & Situation Updates

iainiain101

cm108.com:

19.38 น.

มวลชน ประมาณ 100 คน พยายามจะบุกเข้าไปในโรงแรมแม่ปิง

มวลชน ที่จะบุกโรงแรมแม่ปิง ได้เปลี่ยนเป้าหมาย จะเดินทางไปยังธนาคารกรุงเทพ สาขาท่าแพ

Translation:

7:38pm: About 100 citizens are trying to enter the Mae Ping Hotel

7:42pm: The group that was trying to enter the Mae Ping Hotel has changed its target to Bangkok Bank's Thapae Branch.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's got me wondering if it's the runaway redshirts from BKK or local boys?? I find it hard to believe it would be people from up north........stupid to litter your own yard, but 'they' have proven themselves to be stupid in their actions so far.

So, this could go on for a while??

Any reports from other cities??

My girls shool let out early today - closed tomorrow (asked to phone regards Friday) - Airport Plaza in darkness as I passed at 6pm ish - took me an hour to get home from Mad Dogs to Hang Dong Rd because of road closures.

As this is a city dependant on tourism, curfew at 8pm (thus closing Loi Kroh and late markets like night bazaar etc) will not help - especially as so far all the burning and attacks have been during the day, blatantly infront of the BiB.

BBC/CNN et are still noly concentrating on BKK as if the rest of the country is fine.

I expect countries stating avoid BKK will raise their alerts to all of Thailand tonight. Maybe even flights being axed from Europes/USA.

Thinking seriously of sending my kids for a break at grandma's back in Europe until it cools down

More cm108.com

19.58 น.

กลุ่มมวลชน ประมาณ 50-60 คน ได้ขว้างปาสิ่งของใส่กระจกของธนาคารกรุงเทพ สาขาประตูเชียงใหม่ เสร็จแล้วรีบขี่รถออกไปทันที

"About 50-60 people threw objects at the glass windows of Bangkok Bank's Chiang Mai Gate Branch, then fled."

19.50 น.

ที่แยก พุทธสถาน ตำรวจ ทหาร ได้ยิงปืนขึ้นฟ้า เพื่อผลักดันมวลชนบริเวณดังกล่าว จนทำให้กลุ่มมวลชนถอยร่นจากแยกดังกล่าวแล้ว

"At Puttasatan intersection, police and soldiers fired into the air to warn off the people assembled there, who then withdrew."

Edited by Puwa

According to my friend who has a bar opposite Imperial Mae Ping, around 200-300 red shirts on motorbikes drove by screaming hooligan style, and then left. Possibly to Bangkok Bank as cm108 stated.

Good as long as the bar-stewards don't stay local!

Wonder if we will loose the internet soon?

Any one else notice how slow its getting - or is it just me?

From Twitter: CRES has announced curfew for Chiang Mai.

Edited by wolf5370

Apparently there has been an announcement by the police that there is no curfew in Chiang Mai.

Soooo....local police say there is no curfew....but CRES clearly says there is.....why am I not surprised.

Just news updates in this thread please. Please start new threads for opinions, remarks, comments, observations, witticisms etc. Mods please keep this thread clean. If there was ever a time to keep the Board info organized, I'd say it's now. Thanks

CM108.com:

20.03 น.

รับ แจ้ง มีกลุ่มมวลชน ประมาณ 60คน ใช้รถจักรยานยนต์ประมาณ 30 คัน ได้ไปถึงบริษัทเชียงใหม่คอนฯ แล้ว และได้ขว้างปา สิ่งของเข้าไปภายในบริษัทดังกล่าว แล้วหลบหนีไปทางแอร์พอร์ตพลาซ่า

About 60 people traveling on 30 motorcycles has thrown objects at the office of Chiang Mai Construction, and reportedly gone off to Airport Plaza.

20.00 น.

กลุ่ม มวลชนจากถนนท่าแพ ได้นัดกันเดินทางไปยังบริษัทเชียงใหม่คอนสตรัคชั่น ของพ่อตานายนาวิน ชิดชอบ ถนนมหิดล

The group from Thapae had gone to the office of Chiang Mai Construction, owned by the father of Newin Chidchob, on Mahidol Rd.

Carrefour was being evacuated when I was there around 19:00. Most shops were already closed and they announced over the P.A. system in Carrefour that a curfew had been imposed. Meechock Plaza is closed as well as the gas stations on the Mae Jo Road.

George keep those shutter down tight - second hand books in summer heat will go up like tinder! Wouldn't surprise me if a few rivals use the problems to burn out a few farang bars, restaurants and business - stay safe out there guys - my Cafe is shut until Friday, then well see...

CM108.com:

20.03 น.

รับ แจ้ง มีกลุ่มมวลชน ประมาณ 60คน ใช้รถจักรยานยนต์ประมาณ 30 คัน ได้ไปถึงบริษัทเชียงใหม่คอนฯ แล้ว และได้ขว้างปา สิ่งของเข้าไปภายในบริษัทดังกล่าว แล้วหลบหนีไปทางแอร์พอร์ตพลาซ่า

About 60 people traveling on 30 motorcycles has thrown objects at the office of Chiang Mai Construction, and reportedly gone off to Airport Plaza.

20.00 น.

กลุ่ม มวลชนจากถนนท่าแพ ได้นัดกันเดินทางไปยังบริษัทเชียงใหม่คอนสตรัคชั่น ของพ่อตานายนาวิน ชิดชอบ ถนนมหิดล

The group from Thapae had gone to the office of Chiang Mai Construction, owned by the father of Newin Chidchob, on Mahidol Rd.

Wasn't Chiang Mai Construction the bunch who got the contract to build the underpasses a few years ago and then stopped work for 18 months because they wanted more money. If I had known they were going to throw rocks at their offices, I would have joined them.

Apparently there has been an announcement by the police that there is no curfew in Chiang Mai.

Soooo....local police say there is no curfew....but CRES clearly says there is.....why am I not surprised.

There wasn't a curfew until it was announced half an hour ago. But the translation from the original (first) CRES announcement was not clear I guess. That's why there was a lot of confusion about whether or not the curfew was only for Bangkok. Clearly now it has been extended to other places as well.

Edited by whatsupdoc

Saw it on TV Thai news about 5 mins ago, Chiang Mai was included on a list of provinces on curfew order. They said don't go anywhere after 20 mins (9:00p.m.).

Whatsupdoc -- if you could post the link, that would end this speculation. I can't find the info on the Chiangmai Mail website.

At 19:30, I took a long walk from Changklan plaza to Nimmanhaemin. Other than a few closed stores and restaurants and about a 70 percent of normal traffic flow, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. People taking things pretty easy. As for Nawarat Bridge, from the TV, it looks tamer than on a normal Loy Krathong night. I should add that my walk took me past the fire station near Prathoo Chiangmai. All four fire engines were standing in their accustomed location. I am naturally aware that the situation could get out of hand, but panic will not help.

Maybe this is being paranoid, but can the fact that the only TV working is government TV, which reports every incident to create panic be a prelude and justification to a mass assault that will result in many deaths?

Maybe this is being paranoid, but can the fact that the only TV working is government TV, which reports every incident to create panic be a prelude and justification to a mass assault that will result in many deaths?

Well seen as this thread is mostly from us locals reporting what we can see - and being pretty sure gov isn't sensoring or influencing my eyes at least -then it seems truth will prevail (here at least)

Edited by wolf5370

BBC / CNN are on Truevisions.. Al Jazeera is on cable and online.. Twitter is everywhere. I don't really feel cut off.

Well, somewhat paranoid yes... I am afraid that having the Red TV station back on air would at this moment be far more likely to lead to many deaths.

The government aren't who we have to worry about. huh.gif

That's right... It's those street vendors trying to squeeze that extra 5 baht from us since we are farang. :)

But seriously should I hit the store tomorrow and stock up?