Curfew In Chiang Mai & Situation Updates

iainiain101

Curfew Remains in Bangkok, Public to Remain Indoors Tonight from 8 P.M. - 6 A.M.

Dr. Panitarn Wattanayakorn of the Center for the Resolution of Emergency Situation (CRES) has confirmed that the curfew will still be in effect for provinces under the Emergency Decree tonight. Under the curfew the public is prohibited from being out of their private residences from 8 P.M. - 6 A.M.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice and quiet roads around Nemenheman road last night 11pm, group of about 8 teenage soldiers looking VERY SCARED, but with big guns, at the crossroads of Hauew Kow and Neimen'... most of them hiding behind shrubbery looking very sheepish. No traffic was being stopped.

Did notice a lack of any colours, went for a mookataa bbq - only one red shirt to be seen in about 100 customers, zero yellow.

But as happened 2 years ago with the coup, a distinct lack of students out shopping on what should be the busiest week of the year for our student orientated market on huew kaew.. But luckily my local biker bar was open and defiant as usual :)

Just for some perspective, my neighbour is a redshirt, saw him yesterday having just returning from a quick jaunt down to the bridge, where he burnt a few tyres, smashed some shit up perhaps, before coming home in time for tea and cakes, and an evening in front of the TV...

Edited by whiterussian

is the immigration office open today?? have to go for the 90days report..

You have 7 days grace on 90 day reporting

You sure about this? Is it written anywhere as in the past I have been a day late and no problem but this last time I was 5 days late and it cost me 2k baht...

(Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread with a visa issue......)

But as happened 2 years ago with the coup, a distinct lack of students out shopping on what should be the busiest week of the year for our student orientated market on huew kaew..

Could be because the CMU summer courses have finished and the new students have not yet arrived for the new term starting soon, though some will be arriving from BKK by train TODAY.

CMMCB

One of my staff just told me that "many" redshirts are gathering in the area near Rimping ond the Duke's across the Narawat bridge from the Night Bazzar. There are also a lot of soldiers (who are hopefully there to prevent any problems).

Can anyone confirm this?

One of my staff just told me that "many" redshirts are gathering in the area near Rimping ond the Duke's across the Narawat bridge from the Night Bazzar. There are also a lot of soldiers (who are hopefully there to prevent any problems).

I checked on this any didn't see anyone. Looks quiet.

Can anyone confirm this?

I saw about 20 ish hanging about in the said area lastnight.

I checked on this any didn't see anyone. Looks quiet.

This was 2 or three hours ago. Maybe they have moved elsewhere. :)

I was told by a Thai friend that the internet was going to be shut off, presumably nationwide, starting at 11am today. Apparently there was an announcement on TV. Has anyone heard about this?

No, but you posted your comment at 11:15:23.

From another TV tread: Bangkok Red-Shirt Rally - Live Thursday, THURSDAY MAY 20

CRES is set to announce curfew extension for 3 more days, Nation Govt House reporter /via @tukky_nt

People will be banned on the street from today 9pm-5am in the morning from Thursday to Sunday /via @tukky_nt

AFP: Thailand imposes curfew for three more nights

AFP: Thai authorities on Thursday imposed a curfew for three more nights in Bangkok and 23 other provinces

Here's the Cineplex number: 053 283939... guess if they answer sometime after 10:00 it is. :D
Any news on Airport Plaza - open or staying shut? Anyone? (I guess its wise to stay shut, but you never kno TiT)

Stroll on. Call them or would you like me to? :)

A friend just phoned...said he passed an ambulance & Army EOD truck speeding south on Chotana Road near the Lanna Golf Course. Any reports on what their destination might have been?

I was told by a Thai friend that the internet was going to be shut off, presumably nationwide, starting at 11am today. Apparently there was an announcement on TV. Has anyone heard about this?

Nope, but I can confirm that the internet is currently extremely crap. Sort of trivial in the great scheme of things, though, I guess.

Curfew changed to 9pm-5am, extended to Saturday

It has been confirmed that a curfew will be extended to Saturday, but shortened to 9pm-5am, effective in all Emergency Decree declared areas throughout Thailand.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-05-20

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

A friend just phoned...said he passed an ambulance & Army EOD truck speeding south on Chotana Road near the Lanna Golf Course. Any reports on what their destination might have been?

Most likely to the hospital. My wife is a nurse and you wouldnt believe the amount of ambulances in CM

From cm108.com

11.15 น.

เปิด แล้วสะพานนวรัฐ หลังจากปิดการจราจรไปตั้งแต่เหตุความไม่สงบ ตอนนี้เปิดการจราจรแล้ว (11.15น.) รวมถึงที่หน้าริมปิงซูปเปอร์สโตร์ก็เปิดการจราจรแล้วเช่นกัน

10.25 น.

ตำรวจ ได้ช่วยกันนำยางรถยนต์และอุปกรณ์สิ่งกีดขวางที่หน้าโรงแรมแกรนด์วโรรสออกไป ไว้ที่ป่าช้าสันกู่เหล็ก

และที่หน้าโรงแรมนั้นเวทีได้ถูกรื้อแล้ว โดยมีคนของเชียงใหม่51ส่วนหนึ่งร่วมเป็นพยานการขนย้าย แต่ไม่มีการชุมนุม

11:15am

The Nawarat Bridge is now open to traffic, following a closure caused by the unrest. The road is also open in front of Rimping.

10.25am

Police have removed tires and other objects from the road in front of the Grand Warorot Hotel and moved them to a nearby empty area. And the stage in front of the hotel has also been dismantled, with members of the "Rak Chiang Mai 51" group observing but not protesting.

yeah, there's been no reports of trouble so far today have there? so either they're really organised and have plans made to kick off in certain places at certain times or it's going to be flash-mob stylee mobile phone-arranged ad hoc stupidity. this afternoon should be a decent pointer as to how long we might have to expect nonsense.

Was driving around this morning. One army truck parked at Rincome intersection, two soldiers on guard at the NE corner, under some trees and a billboard, two others in the truck.

Lotus is open, and most everything else seems to be open along Nimmanheimin. Muang Mai market as normal.

93.25 radio reported a number of incidents last night that had not appeared in other reports, including some "ping pong" bombs thrown at the Bangkok Bank branch at Sanpakoy and tires that were lit on the second ring road (didn't say where). I did not catch the whole report.

Got in a couple of minutes ago from a shopping round that took me from the Airport Plaza (closed;see other posts about the big shopping centers), Chiang Mai-Lamphun Road to Arcade, through Thapae and Central Kad Suan Keow, across Nimen to CMU and back across the canal road (don't remember its name). Everything looked normal, to me, given schools and banks closed. Nawarat Bridge open and messes that have been reported elsewhere cleaned up with the exception of the burned vehicles near Rimpring (two farang taking pictures- no army, police ) and no power for stoplights at that intersection. A couple of canopies near the car park at the rail station with no more than two dozen hanging around in the shade. I don't know if that was the rally spot but wasn't anything like a rally. Noted a few soldiers sitting in front of Central chatting and not looking particularly tense. The ATM's behind them were in use as I observed elsewhere in the city. Two soldiers at Huay Keow-Nimen intersection in the shade, rifles apparent and looking somewhat more attentive. Kids swimming in the klongs, motorcycles, tuk tuks, songthaeows. Seemed as if most small shops were open, at least the ones normally open at this hour in slow season. Just my observations to share.