Is This Working...?

We are moving to the Khorat area ( 1-1/2 hours from Khroat to a small Town, )

When we enrolled my step daughter ia a small private school the principal of the school asked me if I would be willing to " help out " teaching English to the childresn ( 4-10 year old's ) The principal said it would be good for the children to hear a Native English Speaker, and talk to the children . I would be doing it purely on a voluntary basis with no form of payment made to myself , it would be for Two - Three hours a week. , The thing I am concerned about , would my voluntry help be considerd as " working " ...? . The last thing I want is to move to a new location and find myself in trouble with the Immigration !!, , but on the other hand The Principal of the school was very enthusiastic about having a Native English Speaker to talk to her students, but I don't really want to say no and start off in our new location upsetting some one who seem's to be of a " high" standing with the local community.

If I asked the princial to write out a letter stating that I am only doing some voluntary un paid help for Two - Three hours a week, would Immigration accept that...? or does some one have any other ideas , as I would really like to help the school, and start off on the right foot with the new community.

Thanks........

Ps sorry if this is in the wrong forum section

Thanks..dr_Pat_Pong,

The last thing we want is a problem with Immigration, when moving to a new area, Ive alway's found here if you keep within the Law, keep your head down ,don't make a big fuss things tend to work out OK...

Thanks again.....

I was in the exact same situation and volunteered for 4 years, but dropped doing it when all the hub-bub over work permits cropped up. I did make some excellent contacts and it's always nice to be talked up well by influential people such as the prinicipal. Most likely he isn't even aware of the work permit/volunteering issue and I might suggest that you ask him to attempt to secure you a work permit, through the Ministry of Education, to the Ministry of Labor. As the dr. has said, it's unlikely to be a problem within a small community, but then... why take the chance? A disgruntled citizen with an axe to grind for some ridiculous reason is all it would take to cause trouble... as the bottom line is that you would still be working illegally. I frankly wasn't willing to take the chance, although I miss it dearly.

Best of luck to you irregardless of your decision.

:o

Edited by sriracha john

We are moving to the Khorat area ( 1-1/2 hours from Khroat to a small Town, )

When we enrolled my step daughter ia a small  private school  the principal of the school asked me if I would be willing to " help out " teaching English to the childresn ( 4-10 year old's ) The principal said it would be good for the children to hear a Native English Speaker, and talk to the children . I  would be doing it  purely on a voluntary basis with no form of payment made to myself , it would be for Two - Three hours a week. , The thing I am concerned about , would my voluntry help be considerd as " working " ...? . The last thing I want is to move to a new location and find myself in trouble with the Immigration !!, , but on the other hand The Principal of the school was very enthusiastic about having a Native English Speaker to talk to her students, but I don't really want to say no and start off in our new location upsetting some one who seem's to be of a " high" standing with the local community.

If I asked the princial to write out a letter stating that I am only doing some voluntary un paid help for Two - Three hours a week, would Immigration accept that...? or does some one have any other ideas , as I would really like to help the school, and start off on the right foot with the new community.

Thanks........ 

Ps sorry if this is in the wrong forum section

I was asked to do a similar thing also in the Korat area.

Before I had even said yes or no to the request, a political opponent of one of my brother-in-laws whose daughter attends the school heard about it.

He was on to Immigration immediately. Fortunately a friend of my brother-in-law who works for the local MP heard about it and told us.

I declined the offer in writing and nothing more was heard of the matter.

Shame I couldn't help the kids with some native English.

So beware is my advice. :o

I do however help my nieces and nephews with their English so perhaps you could try the same. :D

Thanks for the replys,

dr_Pat_Pong You hit the nail right on the head with you comment , its a shame !!!!

It really is a waste and a shame. A willing volunteer prevented from helping Thai kids. Pity.

As I said I want to keep within the Thai law, so It looks as if I will have to say no

and just feel a bit sad at the situation

Thanks ......... Mumbo

PS ... any one in the Soeng Song Area ...?

I would still suggest talking to the principal. It might help with his understanding of why you wish to decline. By putting the onus on the Labor/Immigration departments where it belongs and not on you. Besides, you might get surprised and they may agree to do it (sponsor a work permit). If he has the right contacts, I believe it's possible. Either way, you still come out of being sincere and there's no ill feelings on anyone's part.

It really is a waste and a shame. A willing volunteer prevented from helping Thai kids. Pity.

didn't you once say that the government turned a blind eye to legitimate volunteer work doc?

Things like Christian organisations get by with Non O visa's and no WP and the blinkers are well and truly on the authorities, but that is doubtless based on principles of religious freedom in Thailand. I doubt that there'd be a problem in the circumstances outlined, but I can appreciate that the guy doesn't want trouble. The principal may be able to sort it out with his department.

Thanks for the replys,

dr_Pat_Pong You hit the nail right on the head with you comment , its a shame !!!!

As I said I want to keep within the Thai law, so It looks as if I will have to say no

and just feel a bit sad at the situation

Thanks ......... Mumbo

PS ... any one in the Soeng Song  Area ...?

Not sure where Soeng Song is and one and a half hours from Korat covers a pretty large area....... :o

I am near NoneThai which is 40kms north of Korat on the road to Chaiyaphum.

Let me know if this is near you. :D

didn't you once say that the government turned a blind eye to legitimate volunteer work doc?

It's very silly overall. I volunteer in Canada and can provide more than adequate references to any organization. I could have easily given up two to three days a week teaching English or computer applications. :D

But ask me to trust a blind eye and I look the other way. It just puts you someone's pocket. :o

Not my loss...

Yeah I forget how hard it can be for Thais to ring up a goverment department and ASK what is needed to be done

Actually in Isarn it seems to be much easier than Bkk.

They all know each other. It gives them an excuse to go and visit too, taking a morning off work.