The Ladies Of Surin..

ozzieovaseas

I was wondering if any posters have had experience with women from Surin? Is your wife from Surin?

I know we shouldnt generalize people by region or race but i have noticed some startling similiarities in the thinking of people from the same regions.

Maybe its a differance in the upbringing,education,influences a thai girl has when growing up?

Ive heard it said that people from places such as Chaing Mai are very "soft", so i guess you could assume people there might think/behave a little differently than those of BK?

Anyway, i have befriended a girl from Surin and although we're taking it slow,im not sure what to expect and just paddling the waters of "Ok does this girl just want money..is she "skilled" at playing the game and maybe she has a gold logie winning plan in the making?

At a glance she seems a little different from the typical girls i've met in BK...she seems very soft,a little shy, and seems to have a very good nature..(not that BK girls arent same same) BUT i could never imagine her eyes being irate and angry (which is a first)

Shes very cute,caring, looks after herself...and OH, and she hasnt/doesnt ask for money...well not yet anyway :)

One thing that does impress is the total abscence of the "I luv you to mutt,I miss you to mutt" <deleted>...and she has never just told me what i want to hear.

Actually trying to find anything deeper about her,(life in general,wants,feelings) is often, if not always, met with "mai bor"..not telling. She definately seems a bit gaurded for some reason.

So,not to generalize to much,but have you noticed any distinquishing characteristics/behaviours from your Surin girl, wife or whatever??

Edited by ozzieovaseas

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're getting quite specific in racial profiling now, aren't we?

Still, a good set of stereotypes can save a lot of time and avoid wasted effort at the start of a relationship, so thanks for the effort

SC

Still, a good set of stereotypes can save a lot of time and avoid wasted effort at the start of a relationship, so thanks for the effort

SC

So you've never noticed any subtle differances in the attributes of people from different provinces?

hmm on the contrary thanks for YOUR effort, sounds like it was better than mine :)

SC

very good point.

My partner is from sth east Sa Kaeo, not far from Cambodian border.

When i went to Phuket last time, some people said 'keep away from those Isaan women' I said 'she's not Isaan - and she is my partner thanks very much'.

No response they seem programmed to say it.

Many of the people I know In Phuket have only ever transitted thru Bangkok, or flown direct to/from Phuket from their home country, I suppose they themselves are a stereotype.

Edited by genghis61

Why don't you post your picture and some more illicit details about yourself. Certainly that would help us more than giving you broad generalizations about women from particular provinces.

No, please don't. Illicit details should be kept to yourself, lest your wife should chance upon it and draw her own conclusions.

I have often found that the differences between individuals from any given province, race, profession or class far outweigh the differences between the groups, and stereotypes, while entertaining, do not provide a good basis for action. Notwithstanding that, sometimes a well-thought-out stereotype can help to understand why people are the way that they are, and may perhaps from time to time help us understand the actions of strangers.

SC

I think it's very foolish to try and generalise about women from a particular region.

There is good and bad everywhere and you really have to judge for yourself.

One thing to note though is that most women from Surin are ethnic Khmer, rather than ethnic Lao, and they tend to speak Khmer, not Isaan when at home or with fellow Surin family and friends.

There are some exceptions of course, and some speak Issan as as well as Khmer, and some are be from mixed backgrounds.

Well its starting to sound like my asking the question is offensive.

If i think back to times spent in different parts of Australia i recall many different characteristics of people in different areas..

ex. People in Tasmania are more laid back and friendly than mainlanders (as well as some not so flatterring comments) ect ect

I've heard a lot of things about people & places in Oz and sometimes found the comments accurate and sometimes not.

sorry if i offended anyone :)

Having established a quite sufficient set of bigotries and prejudices in my youth, I find no need for more.

However, what I have found is that my personal relationships do not particularly align with those prejudices, and if I were to rebuild my set of stereotypes based on the individuals that I know, I think they would be quite different.

But stereotypes often make entertaining, and it can be amusing to compare people to their stereotypes when you meet a person for whom you have one...

I don't think anyone has been offended to date - still plenty of opportunity for that - but I think some of us think you are embarking on a futile task which is unlikely to provide real benefit to anyone.

No doubt, after a while, it will attract posters full of prejudice and spleen who will feel obliged to vent to the detriment of the thread. I expect it to be closed by the moderators at the weekend...

SC

I think it's very foolish to try and generalise about women from a particular region.

One thing to note though is that most women from Surin are ethnic Khmer, rather than ethnic Lao, and they tend to speak Khmer, not Isaan when at home or with fellow Surin family and friends.

There are some exceptions of course, and some speak Issan as as well as Khmer, and some are be from mixed backgrounds.

Am I correct in thinking that Lao / Isaan sounds a bit like Vietnamese?

Or, I suppose, does anyone else also think that they sound similar?

SC

Am not sure i could tell the difference from say a lady from Surin or a lady from Udon Thani.I've met some great ladies from Isaan and all are not money grabbing.With regards to "area types" for sure the population up north are generallu quieter,more white skinned because of chinese genes,have rounder eyes and more oval faces.Down south they are darker skinned,talk louder,and often more excitable.Enjoy your new Surin lady ossieoverseas,hope it works out(within your budget of course)

Am not sure i could tell the difference from say a lady from Surin or a lady from Udon Thani.I've met some great ladies from Isaan and all are not money grabbing.With regards to "area types" for sure the population up north are generallu quieter,more white skinned because of chinese genes,have rounder eyes and more oval faces.Down south they are darker skinned,talk louder,and often more excitable.Enjoy your new Surin lady ossieoverseas,hope it works out(within your budget of course)

Hi Samui,

Thanks for the kind regards mate...and i defy anyone to call your observations stereotypes or generalizations..

you offered both fact and opinion, exactly what i was hoping to see :)

away from 'ladies'. When I met my partner's two brothers I had to look twice - one has a farm contracting business, other is an electrical engineer in Bkk. There goes the skin colour generalisation; I have about same 'tan' as bro #2, far more of a 'tan' then the EE who lives/works under fluro lights. They are quite different personalities too. The 'doer' and the 'thinker' maybe!

Unsure I've ever met someone from Surin; best wishes, we're all individuals. I'd hate to think someone thought i was 'just like' one of my three brothers (they may well think the same)

cheers

SC

Neither Issan nor Khmer are tonal languages like Thai and are very different to each other.

Issan, of course originates from Laos and Kymer from Cambodia., but remarkably the languages spoken on both of these countries today is not the same as that spoken by Thais.

As Surin woman will tell you that she speaks Khmer but not Cambodian, but many of them learn to speak a little Cambodian in border areas.

Of course if they went to live in Laos/Cambodia it wouldn't take long before they were able to speak the local dialects.

Many Issan people use a lot of Thai words in their daily conversations and if you speak Thai, you can often figure out what they are talking about.

But when I went to Roi Et recently, their Issan was so 'pure' that I hadn't the faintest idea what they were saying.

They all learn 'government Thai' when they go to school, as only Thai is spoken there and often the teachers have come from 'Thai speaking' parts of Thailand.

So they all grow up being totally bilingual - many trilingual. Only the very old folk have trouble speaking Thai.

Not bad for poor Issan folk.

A pity they can't speak better English - probably would if the teachers knew how to speak it.

Edited by Mobi

SC

Neither Issan nor Khmer are tonal languages like Thai and are very different to each other.

Issan, of course originates from Laos and Kymer from Cambodia., but remarkably the languages spoken on both of these countries today is not the same as that spoken by Thais.

As Surin woman will tell you that she speaks Khmer but not Cambodian, but many of them learn to speak a little Cambodian in border areas.

Of course if they went to live in Laos/Cambodia it wouldn't take long before they were able to speak the local dialects.

Many Issan people use a lot of Thai words in their daily conversations and if you speak Thai, you can often figure out what they are talking about.

But when I went to Roi Et recently, their Issan was so 'pure' that I hadn't the faintest idea what they were saying.

They all learn 'government Thai' when they go to school, as only Thai is spoken there and often the teachers have come from 'Thai speaking' parts of Thailand.

So they all grow up being totally bilingual - many trilingual. Only the very old folk have trouble speaking Thai.

Not bad for poor Issan folk.

A pity they can't speak better English - probably would if the teachers knew how to speak it.

I was surprised to hear that Issaan and Khmer were not tonal, but when I can't be bothered to make up a fact or statistic for myself, I use wikipedia to get one someone else made up earlier, and sure enough, Khmer is allegedly not tonal, while Lao has six tones, according to random strangers who create wikipedia web pages.

So it would be Lao that would sound a bit like Vietnamese, then?

SC

Been married to a Surin/Khmer woman for 10 yrs now and so far-so-good......not to say that they are all same same. What cultural group is same same??

One thing that I learned early about Suriners is that they do drink a lot and are proud of their reputation. luckily my wife has some control, maybe more than most, but I have seen some insane drinking down there.

In the boondocks of Surin, there is not much to do except drink and make babies.

Her Cambodian roots go back many generations altho she does speak Khmer in her family, she is educated and speaks Thai and has even picked up on the Northern Thai dialect as well as speaking decent English with me.

Surin is a small place and maybe my wife is related....PM me her family name if you want me to bounce it off my wife.

best of luck....

You know this already, but I would be more concerned with any baggage issues the girl may have.

To quote you "Actually trying to find anything deeper about her,(life in general,wants,feelings) is often, if not always, met with "mai bor"..not telling. She definately seems a bit gaurded for some reason."

This is the hard part trying to seperate truth from fiction.

Going upcountry and being told her child is actually a niece or nephew, for instance.

What debts may the family have etc etc.

Take your time, thats what courtships are for.

SC

Languages of the are Khmer family are generally not tonal. Surin, Si-Saket, and Buriram.

Lao/ Isan as well as Vietnamese languages on the other hand are generally tonal.

In terms of OPs question as to traits/ qualities each of the regions have their own nuances and wonderful subtle differences in "the average person". Much the same way you will find in the diversity of most countries. Of course people also move around and mix around, but the subtle diversities are still there. Much the same as say a Geordie, a Scouser, an Eastender, West country, Welsh-speaking Welsh, Scottish regions etc all vary in UK there are variations here although along different lines. Perhaps think back a few decades or so if using the UK as an analogy

Edited by fletchsmile

How is this so different from a Londoner asking about the difference between girls from Newcastle and Girls from Leeds. I am sure most northerners from either city could tell you some differences that appear in general.

Girls on the bigmarket are prone to "mooning" front and back, girls from leeds more likely to blow you if you have a nice car. etc... :)

I would suggest most Londoners are not at all interested in the differences between girls from Newcastle or Leeds and most wouldn't even know were those places were! :)

Surin is not a small town, it is quoted in 'Lonely Planet' as having a surprisingly wild nightlife that starts very late in the night. We have a fair range of good Thai/Farang restaurants too.

The girls are just fine, thank you and please all keep away.

Ozzie, maybe your lady is a tad embarrassed of her village/up-bringing because many are dirt poor around here. They are very friendly and good fun IMHO!

If you want to know anything about Surin, feel free to ask away by PM or here.

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

Surin is not a small town, it is quoted in 'Lonely Planet' as having a surprisingly wild nightlife that starts very late in the night. We have a fair range of good Thai/Farang restaurants too.

The girls are just fine, thank you and please all keep away.

There are a few dogs as well, though Dave. :)

I find this a particularly strange topic, but I have decided to add my opinion.

My wife is from Surin and over many years, I have spent a considerable amount of time there. Surin is a great place and in all honesty the people I have met are little different from anyone other Thai, other than possibly some local issues.

I have met a number of people from Surin and nearby working in Bangkok and they are honest and decent hardworking people. One of the best hardworking Database Analysts I know comes from Surin, and if he had a Twin Brother I would hire him also. I also know a lady who works in a nearby restaurant who is also polite and hardworking. Before you scoff, yes there are lazy people everywhere, but having spent a long time in Surin your attitude to life changes. Rather than waking up with a list of things to do, I would just find something to do and relax doing it.

Really for the locals who don't get an opportunity to work in BKK, I think they accept their lot in life and do their best to enjoy it.

Dave you are correct and there is plenty to do in Surin.

Oh, don't let these blowhards rattle your cage. If we want to talk about stereotypes, let's talk about fat, balding and semi-alcoholic middle aged-senior citizen white western/euro men chasing after young Thai girls because they don't stand a chance in their home countries. That should nail a decent number of guys on this board.

Yes, there differences between cultures regardless of what the politically correct morons try to tell you and there is no harm in your making inquiries. Bottom line for me, whatever your preference for women, if she starts hounding you for $$, show her the door and see what she does. But from what you've said about her, being guarded, etc. those are some good signs. Good luck.