The Ladies Of Surin..

ozzieovaseas

Am I correct in thinking that Lao / Isaan sounds a bit like Vietnamese?

Or, I suppose, does anyone else also think that they sound similar?

SC

Neither Issan nor Khmer are tonal languages like Thai and are very different to each other.

Issan, of course originates from Laos and Kymer from Cambodia., but remarkably the languages spoken on both of these countries today is not the same as that spoken by Thais.

As Surin woman will tell you that she speaks Khmer but not Cambodian, but many of them learn to speak a little Cambodian in border areas.

Of course if they went to live in Laos/Cambodia it wouldn't take long before they were able to speak the local dialects.

Many Issan people use a lot of Thai words in their daily conversations and if you speak Thai, you can often figure out what they are talking about.

But when I went to Roi Et recently, their Issan was so 'pure' that I hadn't the faintest idea what they were saying.

They all learn 'government Thai' when they go to school, as only Thai is spoken there and often the teachers have come from 'Thai speaking' parts of Thailand.

So they all grow up being totally bilingual - many trilingual. Only the very old folk have trouble speaking Thai.

Not bad for poor Issan folk.

A pity they can't speak better English - probably would if the teachers knew how to speak it.

I was surprised to hear that Issaan and Khmer were not tonal, but when I can't be bothered to make up a fact or statistic for myself, I use wikipedia to get one someone else made up earlier, and sure enough, Khmer is allegedly not tonal, while Lao has six tones, according to random strangers who create wikipedia web pages.

So it would be Lao that would sound a bit like Vietnamese, then?

SC

Rubbish that Issan is not tonal, unless you are referring to Suwei which is spoken in remote areas in Surin and Sisiket, but that is not Issan. The Issan dialect of Thai is 100% tonal. As for Laos, it is tonal. Laos and Issan Thai are 80-90% interchangable. However, Venetiene Laos is like north eastern Thai, where as Luang Prabang Laos is a crossover of Issan Thai and Northern Thai. I know, because I chaired meeting in Luang Prabang last week with 15 Communist Party Execs in Northern Thai/Issan/Thai mix. They understood 99% of the presentation.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After neary 4 years in Issan, i would say its definitely tonal, we live 50ks south of Laos, and if we go to BKK her accent changes, also, a lot of english speaking falang have told me to very careful if learning Issan, because every word can have up to 5 different tones, a wrong tone might get me into a fight! I always reply, oh really? and english doesnt have the same? for me, [in english] its the facial expression that gives away the tone that its meant in, same for Thais i would think!

Cheers, Lickey,,

Let's try to make it simple, wherever "they" come from...

Whether they come from Surin, Buriram, Sisaket, Roi Et, Khon Kaen...Sweden, Australia, France, the Netherlands or Germany....they are women!

And...wherever "they" come from should not mean anything to your relation with "her"!

Personal experience? I am living with a"Buriram - very close to Surin - girl. 7 years already. She speaks Thai, Khmer, and Suay and sometimes English too.

She never asked for anything, she has a great family, I am home at "her" home, she is home at "my" home, I am very happy with her, I believe she is very happy with me as... we are happy together!

And this is the only thing that matters!

If you fell "it" is worth a try, try!

If you have reservations... up to you!

Don't know about Surin, but Buriram is quite close and I have stayed

there, guessing they are both about the same.

Lets just say I was glad to leave, reason being the surroundings

and the people.

A lot of foreigners staying in Thailand saying you need to stay in

Isaan or Northern Thailand to take in the REAL THAI CULTURE.

I am sorry but <deleted> to all of that, as a foreign person stick

to the beach resorts and enjoy yourself. Take in culture of a

country that takes itself a little more seriously.

The local inbreds in Isaan will never really except you and no amount

of whiskey drinking will change that reality as you are a alien to them.

Sorry for going some what off topic.

My beautiful wife is from Surin......she has all the qualities and attributes you would wish for in a wife and more.....I am very proud of her and our children.....she gives me absolutely no reason not to be.......

Hope yours turns out to be the same Ozzie

Good to see that you have been accepted in the beach resorts.

hey ozzie , this sounds like my ex, she wis from surin , one of the most mild mannered and good natured girls i have ever met in my life, not hot tempered like most thai girls, wish i was still with her actually but like a fool i blew it, anyway her names not "ying" by any chance :D or jutamas ? :)

and the people.

Spoken like a true TOURIST(2 week Millionaire) :):D:D

I'd stick to Benidorm next year, if I were you. The prisons nice (I've been locked in it) :D

Edited by Dave the Dude

Surin is not a small town, it is quoted in 'Lonely Planet' as having a surprisingly wild nightlife that starts very late in the night. We have a fair range of good Thai/Farang restaurants too.

The girls are just fine, thank you and please all keep away.

There are a few dogs as well, though Dave. :)

I'm not into Subs&Doms, Ray but that leads me onto another topic

Hey all, thanks for the replies, all very informative and interesting.

The language issues being debated have been educational too..

Seems to be more positive reports than negative which is nice to see. Hope you find what you are after kevos,to bad it didnt work out.

And good to see comments from Khutan and Dave, seeing how you guys are living in Surin.

I notice a quite a few posts from guys with high post counts too,always good to hear from the experienced.

Maxman,dmax,jayjay thanks for your input, and nice touch from 473ego,thanks...sounds like all you guys have hit the jackpot in the love stakes,good for you...and no dmax, those names dont ring a bell.

Nice to hear your positive stories anyway and best of luck for the future. :)

Edited by ozzieovaseas

Living up country tends to make you softer and shyer than an urban upbringing. Certainly most of the girls around here seem to fit the soft/shy mode. A few months in a bar or go go soon changes all that of course.

You have to get into the background and upbringing of anyone if you want a relationship IMO. Don't accept the 'I'm not telling line' - that's no recipe for a future together in any culture. Before I was married I blew off girls who seemed incurious to know what shaped me (to use the words of another thread on the incurious nature of Thai girls).

Let's try to make it simple, wherever "they" come from...

Whether they come from Surin, Buriram, Sisaket, Roi Et, Khon Kaen...Sweden, Australia, France, the Netherlands or Germany....they are women!

And...wherever "they" come from should not mean anything to your relation with "her"!

Personal experience? I am living with a"Buriram - very close to Surin - girl. 7 years already. She speaks Thai, Khmer, and Suay and sometimes English too.

She never asked for anything, she has a great family, I am home at "her" home, she is home at "my" home, I am very happy with her, I believe she is very happy with me as... we are happy together!

And this is the only thing that matters!

If you fell "it" is worth a try, try!

If you have reservations... up to you!

Hi Krungbin,

Glad to hear another positive experience of happy falang/thai relationship..thanks for sharing.

I get your point about the single most importance about being happy together,no matter where the couple are from.

Still i have noticed some subtle differances that can be explained from Santi sanuks (previous) post. This girl also asks for nothing and if i offer she seems to only want that which she could afford herself. We browsed through a mall (on 3rd date) and since i had bought clothes for myself, i offered to buy her something she liked..she walked past the exclusives and picked out a 199baht top from an export shop.

A few years ago I remember a certain girl asking for 300 baht for a taxi home...this after i already knew she lived not more than 10 minutes away :)

Farang definition of good = an indication of quality

Isaan definition of good = Cheap.

Me and the 'trouble & strife' have had many a "discussion" about that, over the years, building our home, buying truck/clothes ect.......

Oh that explains everything, tiger woods mare is from surin, no wonder he butterfly too mutt,go ISAAN

regards songhklasid

Its been reported her family is from Korat.

Mare Woods also seem to have forgotten her roots or got her geography confused, she has reinvented herself and now claims to be from Bkk.

and the people.

Spoken like a true TOURIST(2 week Millionaire) :):D:D

I'd stick to Benidorm next year, if I were you. The prisons nice (I've been locked in it) :D

My post was a bit negative but..................

Chai mai, I think you will find it is a lot more important to be

accepted into a village with a population of 60 then be accepted

into a tourist area.

As for Dave;

Never been to Spain will not go there.

I think you will find that your type of being a big farang fish in a small isaan bowl

is in the minority. Two week millionaire, usually go for a month or two actually.

My girlfriend comes from Buriram and she does not rate Isaan either.

Apoligize for my negative post. Not really like that usually.

Been a bit bored and depressed the last week, probably why

I have been posting on this forum.

Apoligize for my negative post. Not really like that usually.

Been a bit bored and depressed the last week, probably why

I have been posting on this forum.

I know how your feeling :):D:D

I am sorry you have found Isaan so bad, different strokes for different folks I suppose but I am a little surprised what you say about your girlfriend.

Sure, I have met some ladies that have been hit by the 'rich' stick and turn their noses up at others less fortunate, but they are few and far between (luckily).

Most are quite proud of their upbringing and beam from 'ear to ear' if someone else speaks their local language.

Kev, I'm no big farang fish in an Isaan fishbowl and I would suggest, a few guys here who know me personally, might confirm that. I do hold my hands up to "p!ss taking" but

do not look down on people like the ladies mentioned above.

Maybe its time for another holiday Mate, but anyways, Good Luck

Am not sure i could tell the difference from say a lady from Surin or a lady from Udon Thani.I've met some great ladies from Isaan and all are not money grabbing.With regards to "area types" for sure the population up north are generallu quieter,more white skinned because of chinese genes,have rounder eyes and more oval faces.Down south they are darker skinned,talk louder,and often more excitable.Enjoy your new Surin lady ossieoverseas,hope it works out(within your budget of course)

What I found that they themselves ar usually very "racist" in the sense of who is who and where from!

Starts with dialect, food preferences and of course language/dialect!

besides the notion that some people think that people from Surin all have Khmer roots and therefor strong connection

to sorcerers and black magic!

Don't ask me why... is just my perception over 2 decades!

My wifes family is from a small village between Buriram and Surin. A few things that stand out about this village and the people.

1) The children are actually disciplined...... a kid talks back to an elder and he will probably get wacked with a piece of bamboo. For some reason, I find the kids to be very helpfull and polite (Always looking over their shoulder though) :)

2) Many of the men actually can grow a full beard......

3) For some reason, a lot of the people in the village have curly hair, not just a few but probably more than 25%.

On the Khmer language subject. The family and I live in Chiangmai during the school year then return to Buriram during the vacation time. In Chiangmai, of the many Farang/Thai parents, a lot of the wives are from the Surin/Buriram area. These wives enjoy having their conversations in Khmer just to irk other Thai mothers, since they can't be understood.

You know this already, but I would be more concerned with any baggage issues the girl may have.

To quote you "Actually trying to find anything deeper about her,(life in general,wants,feelings) is often, if not always, met with "mai bor"..not telling. She definately seems a bit gaurded for some reason."

This is the hard part trying to seperate truth from fiction.

Going upcountry and being told her child is actually a niece or nephew, for instance.

What debts may the family have etc etc.

Take your time, thats what courtships are for.

Got to agree whole heartdly with rgs,

Knew a guy called "samong yai"(big brain) he was married for a while until recently, cost him 2 mil baht if rumor is correct, guy was devastated when he found out she was shagging about, and involved with a copper from her local area. As for me I am a FNg at the marriage game only 8 years to a Prasat (south of surin) lady. Married her when I was massively in debt to the bank, and she knew this. We managed relative bliss from truth, and gentleness; rather than alcohol, abuse, and me trying to control her. Such is life. Relationships are partnerships rather than a businesses, but baggage is baggage from both sides. We managed why can't you?

Edited by YHJB

We're getting quite specific in racial profiling now, aren't we?

Still, a good set of stereotypes can save a lot of time and avoid wasted effort at the start of a relationship, so thanks for the effort

SC

" Is an elephant from Surin different to one in Buri Ram?" No more to add.

คน สุรินทร์ดื่มสุรา A generalization, I know but it is what Thai people from other regions of Thailand say about Surinians (?) The people of Surin drink spirits. The inference is that they indulge heavily. Funnily enough, the vast majority of people I know who come from Surin are heavy drinkers.

Edited by GarryP

My Wife is from Surin, She is honest and hardworking, one thing to keep in mind these girls typicaly come from poor backgrounds and I guess this shapes who they are. They also have strong ties to family and a deep seated guilt to provide for there parents, this guilt is something that does not vanish because they get involved with a farang, I think this one aspect is the one thing most farangs struggle with. I know it caused me a little grief and thoughts of Her putting her family before our marriage.

Most of the other girls I have met from Surin and nearbye provinces are similar to my Wife in my opinion. Money will be raised at some point when it is look at it with open eyes and don't be swayed by the negative stories you read on here.

My Wife is from Surin, She is honest and hardworking, one thing to keep in mind these girls typicaly come from poor backgrounds and I guess this shapes who they are. They also have strong ties to family and a deep seated guilt to provide for there parents, this guilt is something that does not vanish because they get involved with a farang, I think this one aspect is the one thing most farangs struggle with. I know it caused me a little grief and thoughts of Her putting her family before our marriage.

Most of the other girls I have met from Surin and nearbye provinces are similar to my Wife in my opinion. Money will be raised at some point when it is look at it with open eyes and don't be swayed by the negative stories you read on here.

Wise words :):D :D

Wise words :D:D:)

I'll definitely second this motion :D:D:D

All your opinions taken into account guys, thanks..

I suppose its a matter of knowing what you are getting yourself in for, and if you think it is worth it or not.

For me,at the moment,i dont know if this girl is legit or not..maybe i've let the broader opinions of jaded guys on TV sway me to much, and henceforth my mind has been poisoned with to much paranioa.

At the moment i am thinking these girls are a product of the culture they have been brought up in, and from what you guys have said the majority report their women as jai-dee.

Of course i am happy with that, but having said that, others who might voice negative experiences would be listened to in the same light....

Im thinking maybe the "small town" attitude speaks in all languages???

• 2 months later...

hi all, siskatmike,,, elephants never want my money weather they are from burriram or surin,,lol,, are you the same mike that was working in brazil,???with petrology,, if so im ron the repair welder/forman,,take care all,, and just pay and smile,,