The Ladies Of Surin..

ozzieovaseas

คน สุรินทร์ดื่มสุรา A generalization, I know but it is what Thai people from other regions of Thailand say about Surinians (?) The people of Surin drink spirits. The inference is that they indulge heavily. Funnily enough, the vast majority of people I know who come from Surin are heavy drinkers.

Perhaps not so heavy drinkers, as to consistence ones - as the reputation of Surin preceeds it. Most good folk of Surin are generally hard working and, more often than not, do not allow the Surin myth to obstruct their lives. What makes the local society unusual, is the manner in which the local custom for females to imbibe......no, they're not stumbling drunks - but choose to select their takings in the social gatherings as to be expected. I am associated with a great percentage of the Surin population, and I will find that a great deal of women that don't care to partake and never have. It's those unconventional {and small circles} that escalate the provincial stigmas, making Surin a drunkard's paradise. Within the broader Thai society {even though Surin isn't really Thai}, these social factors are wired to find the unorthodox a bit odd. Men folk of Surin are quite famous for their alcoholic intake, mind most get on perfectly well in the confines of the local climate - things get done, etc. I've never found the mean-spirit and angry character in Surin drunks as anyone might surely find throughout their Thai counterparts.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Wife is from Surin, She is honest and hardworking, one thing to keep in mind these girls typicaly come from poor backgrounds and I guess this shapes who they are. They also have strong ties to family and a deep seated guilt to provide for there parents, this guilt is something that does not vanish because they get involved with a farang, I think this one aspect is the one thing most farangs struggle with. I know it caused me a little grief and thoughts of Her putting her family before our marriage.

Most of the other girls I have met from Surin and nearbye provinces are similar to my Wife in my opinion. Money will be raised at some point when it is look at it with open eyes and don't be swayed by the negative stories you read on here.

Kudos, Rick! Closer to the truth, than not!:jap: