Troops, Armoured Vehicles Converge On Bangkok Protest Site

webfact

Troops, armoured vehicles converge on Bangkok protest site

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Hundreds of Thai police and troops, backed by armoured vehicles, converged on the "Red Shirt" anti-government protesters' camp in Bangkok Wednesday, raising fears of an imminent crackdown.

AFP reporters saw 12 armoured personnel carriers (APCs) with machine guns mounted on top arrive in the Silom business district, and two took up positions in front of the protesters' homemade barricades.

Nearby, several trucks dropped off troops wearing balaclavas and carrying weapons and riot shields.

Hundreds of armed police were forming lines in Sukhumvit Road, a main thoroughfare leading into the protest zone, backed up by some 20 police vans on the roadside.

Thailand's army spokesman declined to comment on whether a crackdown was imminent against the protesters, who since Monday have defied a deadline to disperse after occupying Bangkok's main retail district for six weeks.

"I will not answer any questions," spokesman Sunsern Kaewkumnerd told AFP.

Red Shirt leaders warned late Tuesday that they were concerned a crackdown would be launched at dawn, after the government ruled out negotiations until the demonstrators abandoned their heavily fortified rally base.

Security forces had battled with protesters since Thursday last week as they attempted to seal off the sprawling protest site, triggering clashes on the perimeter that left 39 dead and hundreds injured.

The violence, which eased Tuesday with only sporadic gunfire, turned parts of the city of 12 million into no-go zones as troops used live ammunition against protesters, who fought back mainly with homemade weapons.

"There's a very significant reinforcement of troops on Silom," a police officer from Lumpini district near the protest site told AFP.

Asked whether a crackdown was under way he said: "Normally military will not inform police because this is a military operation alone."

A police spokesman said Tuesday that there were still around 5,000 protesters, including hundreds of women and children, at the fortified site despite the fighting and a campaign for them to return home.

Government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn said the campaign to contain the protest was progressing well but that the public "must be patient as the operation is taking time".

"The operation will go ahead but the government will try to avoid confrontation and if there are losses they will be minimised," he said Tuesday.

Amnesty International accused the army of "reckless use of lethal force" in its campaign to seal off the protest zone, which has left 39 dead and 279 wounded since Thursday.

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay on Monday called on both sides to negotiate an end to the violence, saying there was a high risk it could "spiral out of control" after the expiry of Monday's deadline.

"To prevent further loss of life, I appeal to the protesters to step back from the brink, and the security forces to exercise maximum restraint in line with the instructions given by the government," she said.

But protesters were in defiant mood at their encampment late into the night Tuesday, dancing and waving heart-shaped clappers in front of a stage as leaders rallied the crowd.

The Reds are campaigning for elections to replace the administration of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, which they consider illegitimate because it came to power with the backing of the army in a 2008 parliamentary vote.

The Reds are mostly supporters of fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra who was ousted in a 2006 coup. A controversial court ruling ejected his elected allies from power, paving the way for Abhisit's government to be appointed.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-05-19

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

URGENT: Soldiers Move in with Tanks into Sala Deang since 5 A.M.; First Round of Shots Heard at 6 A.M.

CRES starts operations to disperse rally at Ratchprasong intersection by moving in with tanks and water trucks. Tanks started moving into Silom area at around 5 A.M. this morning, before moving forward into Sala Deang.

High pressure water hoses used to destroy protesters' bunkers on the edge of Lumpini Park.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-05-19

Govt troops prepares to disperse UDDs at Rajprasong

Government troops, police tanks, armored vehicles are gathering at Silom, Saladaeng to prepare for possible crackdown to disperse UDDs at Rajprasong intersection eally on Wednesday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-19

The red shirt leaders now understand that this is a fight to the end. No negotiated compromise. The leaders will either end up in jail for a long time or be shot dead. I wonder if they will stand and fight or flee to Paris and go shopping for Louis Vuitton with their glorious leader Thaksin the brave. I think the people will fight but leaders are always a little more 'pragmatic'.

Edited by Loaded

I can't believe a rumored crackdown actually happened. I had become completely desensitized to the coconut telegraph. I genuinely hope there's minimal or no injury or loss of life on either side, but that's a pretty tall order with this much activity.

The fact is

They have a site where they can protest

and are safe

If they go outside this site then they are asking for trouble

I do not think the PM has any problems negotiating with a legal protest group of Thai's

So those who attack, provoke and enter the no mans area are only asking for trouble

The red shirt leaders have brain washed the hard core for 2 months that the army will not take them on

They are a law unto them selves

They believe they haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law."

Any deaths or injuries that a mob suffers must be the responibilities of the mob and their leaders

The Army are just upholding the law of the land

I can't believe a rumored crackdown actually happened. I had become completely desensitized to the coconut telegraph. I genuinely hope there's minimal or no injury or loss of life on either side, but that's a pretty tall order with this much activity.

I think we are going to see the barricades burn, but hopefully minimal loss of life. What can the crowd really do? And the eyes of the world are on the soldiers. My guess is the army feel the street fighters are spent.

The fat lady is going through her voice exercises just offstage. Maybe she will really go onstage this time - and sing?

People who want to blame Abhisit will find ways to do so. Fact remains, this dispersal needed to happen. A diseased kidney does not get excised with toothpicks.

The fact is

and are safe

I do not think the PM has any problems negotiating with a legal protest group of Thai's

So those who attack, provoke and enter the no mans area are only asking for trouble

The red shirt leaders have brain washed the hard core for 2 months that the army will not take them on

They believe they haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law."

Any deaths or injuries that a mob suffers must be the responibilities of the mob and their leaders

What do you mean? What site? The army are preparing an attack on the main gathering at Rachaprasong as far as I'm aware.

The fat lady is going through her voice exercises just offstage. Maybe she will really go onstage this time - and sing?

People who want to blame Abhisit will find ways to do so. Fact remains, this dispersal needed to happen. A diseased kidney does not get excised with toothpicks.

"Where's my song sheet?"

Much of this could have been avoided if there had been a designated protest site - a large field with basic facilities outside downtown Bangkok. That's what the Cambodians just arranged - for future protests in their country. Granted, it's easier said than done, but if the initial protesters had been funneled to a large field somewhere, then things would not have gotten so far out of hand.

Plus, recent reports of freezing accounts of many big businesses and big shot Thais associated with Thaksin and the Reds is BIG NEWS. You can bet there are a lot of big shots close to the Shinawats, who are cussing and shouting and banging furniture against walls.

Edited by brahmburgers

This would be a good day to catch a bus back to Issan if your wardrobe is primarily red. I hope the army has a quick success with a minimum of casualties.

The smartest thing the reds could do now would be to build a campaign platform for upcoming elections and use their passion in a sensible non-suicidal way.

The fact is

and are safe

What do you mean? What site? The army are preparing an attack on the main gathering at Rachaprasong as far as I'm aware.

I disagree

clean up the thugs and contain them

once contained it will be easy to finish

To attack the core would see to many innocents and children die

Much of this could have been avoided if there had been a designated protest site - a large field with basic facilities outside downtown Bangkok. That's what the Cambodians just arranged - for future protests in their country. Granted, it's easier said than done, but if the initial protesters had been funneled to a large field somewhere, then things would not have gotten so far out of hand.

Plus, recent reports of freezing accounts of many big businesses and big shot Thais associated with Thaksin and the Reds is BIG NEWS. You can bet there are a lot of big shots close to the Shinawats, who are cussing and shouting and banging furniture against walls.

Thaskin is definatly the cause and the financial organizer of this protest

Panic and chaos will allow him to return

But the question is

Is Thaskin the head of all of this

or just a puppet himself

There are many of my business friends who say he is but a puppet of The New World Order

and Thailand is a test site for bigger things to come

It had to happen sooner or later. Now I hope for two things: Firstly minimal casulties on both sides. And secondly for Abhisit to to go through with his roadmap inclusive early election plans instead of abusing a successful crackdown to suppress the opposition. What we need is real reconciliation. Without concessions to all the moderate red supporters in the provinces, i fear, it won't take long before more of them are radicalized.

Is there any chance to keep this topic about 'what is' going on now and not 'why' it is?

i will 2nd that! :)

How on-topic indeed.

But the question is

or just a puppet himself

There are many of my business friends who say he is but a puppet of The New World Order

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1154898/how_..._a_tinfoil_hat/

It had to happen sooner or later. Now I hope for two things: Firstly minimal casulties on both sides. And secondly for Abhisit to to go through with his roadmap inclusive early election plans instead of abusing a successful crackdown to suppress the opposition. What we need is real reconciliation. Without concessions to all the moderate red supporters in the provinces, i fear, it won't take long before more of them are radicalized.

You're nicer than I. I can see Abhisit going through with his 'roadmap' ....but he should not feel compelled to go ahead with early elections. The Reds had that option - wide open - but shunted it rudely. Early elections have not been on the negotiating table for a week. Thaksin and the Reds gambled and lost. Abhisit should go ahead and have elections at the end of 2011. And all expenses for dealing with the rallies/riots should be borne by T, and members of his friends and family who sponsored it.

But the question is

or just a puppet himself

Ozzieman, Yours is one of the most perceptive and at the same time the most chilling comments I have read on this forum.

I fear that your friends may be right.

Surely Thaksin has neither the courage nor the vision to pursue a campaign like this. Whoever is behind it is remaining predictably well hidden.

NWO? Quite possibly. They're not telling us, are they?

Nothing... Soi 11 and nearby thus far have been spared any of this stuff... the current edge of the red zone currently is a mile or so west near Ploenchit BTS.

Any news on what has happened at Sukhumvit Soi 11? Ambassador Hotel.

Using the Skytrain

Yahoo News

capt2c3741fba9364badb2d.jpg

Thai soldiers use elevated train tracks to move on anti-goverment protestors near Lumpini Park in downtown Bangkok, Thailand, Wednesday, May 19, 2010. Large numbers of Thai troops and armored vehicles marshaled Wednesday near the fortified encampment in downtown Bangkok occupied by thousands of anti-government protesters.

Maybe somewhere like Sanam Luang ...... ?