Troops, Armoured Vehicles Converge On Bangkok Protest Site

webfact

The red shirt leaders now understand that this is a fight to the end. No negotiated compromise. The leaders will either end up in jail for a long time or be shot dead. I wonder if they will stand and fight or flee to Paris and go shopping for Louis Vuitton with their glorious leader Thaksin the brave. I think the people will fight but leaders are always a little more 'pragmatic'.

This is going to be a long note, but I want my overseas friends to understand what has been happening here in Thailand. You would only see the soldiers' shooting scenes or injured people being carried away on international TV channels for 30 seconds, but never got to know about the background. The truth is, the Thai government has been too accommodating by withholding the use of force since the rally started 2 months ago (with the exception of 10th April event, when the soldiers were ordered to move in without live weapons and subsequently got slaughtered by unknown gunmen shooting from the 'Red Shirt' protesters).

The majority of us support the government in dealing with the terrorists hidden amongst the protesters. It held talks with the rally leaders and offered peace solutions to them 10 days ago. The Prime Minister publicly urged the protesters to disperse for fear of violence created by the terrorists. But the plan wasn't accepted. So, it's time to block food and water supplies entering the center of the protest. If the protesters were peaceful, they wouldn't rush out to throw rocks, firecrackers and even bombs at the soldiers' barricade -- thus, causing the soldiers to defend themselves by firing rubber bullets and live rounds.

It has been very frustrating for the law-abiding citizen of Bangkok -- we even voiced our dissatisfaction at the government for its failure to uphold the laws. The situation was like Bangkok was being held for ransom. A lot of businesses got affected because it's right in the middle of the major commercial area.

Again, think what your government would do if there were a large group of protesters blocking all traffic at Orchard Road in Singapore; Times Square in NYC; Ginza in Tokyo; or Knightsbridge in London for two months. They set up barricades to search through personal belongings of everyone travelling through the area. Also think what it would do if those protesters invaded a nearby hospital, causing doctors & nurses to evacuate patients -- some of whom are newborn babies in incubators and those in ICU -- to other hospitals. And most important of all, think what it would do if the protesters were found to have large stockpile of M79 grenades, M16 & AK47 assault rifles.

Do you think your government would be as tolerant as the Thai government?

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its not going to be good Today - looks like the Army will wipe out the camp this Morning, Thailand needs to resolve this I suppose, I hope they realize the World is watching

The press in the US is giving this minimal coverage. All of my family/friends say nothing has been on the news of what's going on over here. :)

Just heard from a colleague that Chula Hospital was set on fire.

Can anyone confirm this?

Near Chula. Not exactly good for any respiratory illness patients.

chula.jpg

Smoke from burning tiers rises near Chulalongkorn Hospital in downtown Bangkok, Thailand, Wednesday, May 19, 2010. Thai troops and armored vehicles converged early Wednesday around the barricaded encampment of anti-government protesters in downtown Bangkok and opened fire in what appears to be a final crackdown to disperse them.

Edited by KMUTT

Its not going to be good Today - looks like the Army will wipe out the camp this Morning, Thailand needs to resolve this I suppose, I hope they realize the World is watching

The press in the US is giving this minimal coverage. All of my family/friends say nothing has been on the news of what's going on over here. :)

They've got their own problems to worry about: Oil spill, Earthquake, etc.

us.cnn.com (US Edition)

edition.cnn.com (International Edition)

They do need to wipe out the camp today... cause it will take at least 3-4 days to clean up the mess... not to mention fixing damaged stores/buildings.

Just heard from a colleague that Chula Hospital was set on fire.

Can anyone confirm this?

Near Chula. Not exactly good for any respiratory illness patients.

chula.jpg

Smoke from burning tiers rises near Chulalongkorn Hospital in downtown Bangkok, Thailand, Wednesday, May 19, 2010. Thai troops and armored vehicles converged early Wednesday around the barricaded encampment of anti-government protesters in downtown Bangkok and opened fire in what appears to be a final crackdown to disperse them.

Where's Amnesty International on this one?

Those who take children into this are worse than the terrorists themselves. Have they no conscience ?

How can they call themselves parents... :D:D:)

d day for the reds.how many leaders will stay and fight now.or will they run and hide

IMO - they are already gone

Your family must be watching different news shows than my sister in Michigan. I tell her not to worry about me way down here in Phuket where heavyweights on both sides of the struggle own nice properties. Most of the poor rural folks that came to Phuket to get work are losing their jobs as their red brothers in Bangkok destroy the tourist industry.... I doubt there is much sympathy for the red cause on this island. Sorry, I got a little off topic.

They've got their own problems to worry about: Oil spill, Earthquake, etc.

us.cnn.com (US Edition)

edition.cnn.com (International Edition)

They do need to wipe out the camp today... cause it will take at least 3-4 days to clean up the mess... not to mention fixing damaged stores/buildings.

RED Rivers is on cnn TV now

7.39am - A group of "men in black" try to break into Klong Toey MRT subway by smashing door and window glass. They reportedly pour petrol in their attempt to set fire.

it just shows how stupid these red people are

when the army, police and press from every corner of the world are looking for 'men in black'

'the men in black' wear ................................BLACK!

We live out on Jaengwhattana, surrounded by 3 army bases (some large some small).

Over the last few days there has been a buildup of army personnel transport vehicles, mostly buses some army trucks, jeeps, etc, Estimate about 20 to 25. This morning they have all disappeared. Pictures.

post-102665-1274234359_thumb.jpg post-102665-1274234371_thumb.jpg

Edited by rabo

Thaskin is definatly the cause and the financial organizer of this protest

Panic and chaos will allow him to return

But the question is

Is Thaskin the head of all of this

or just a puppet himself

There are many of my business friends who say he is but a puppet of The New World Order

and Thailand is a test site for bigger things to come

First it was your missus telling you what to say, and now your 'business friends' :)

You're right about Thaksin though. Contrary to what a lot of people might claim, he is simply a catalyst and not the root cause, which is public dissatisfaction with the system. When Thaksin goes, somone else will take his place.

lumpini.jpg

Thai soldiers spray water cannons to anti-government protesters barricaded near Lumpini Park in downtown Bangkok, Thailand, Wednesday, May 19, 2010. Thai troops and armored vehicles converged early Wednesday around the barricaded encampment of anti-government protesters in downtown Bangkok.

Gun battle at Lumpini. Filmed black shirts with assault rifles firing at troops in park. At least 5 protesters injured /v @aleithead

This is going to be good PR for the government. The black shirts won't be able to hide during the day.

The red shirt leaders now understand that this is a fight to the end. No negotiated compromise. The leaders will either end up in jail for a long time or be shot dead. I wonder if they will stand and fight or flee to Paris and go shopping for Louis Vuitton with their glorious leader Thaksin the brave. I think the people will fight but leaders are always a little more 'pragmatic'.

The Red Leaders won't be killed, the "hot air ballons" will escape, live off their thousands they received from Mr. T and the Red Sheep (the common protesters) will face danger.

Dan Rivers forced to mention Red Shirts by CNN after expat pressure?

Sounds a bit like a petulant child to me at the end.

"The situation could get much worse unless a ceasefire is declared soon."

I don't think there's any doubt which side Mr Rivers is taking?

Edit:

Forgot to mention: What colour shirt is Nattawut wearing? Does he look like he's telling the truth to you?

Edited by seahorse

Gun battle at Lumpini. Filmed black shirts with assault rifles firing at troops in park. At least 5 protesters injured /v @aleithead

This is going to be good PR for the government. The black shirts won't be able to hide during the day.

filmed black shirts firing at troops ..... how are they still called protesters?

It was time to clean all that mess with some APC.

I hope the government will end now this anti-democratic protest.

apcn.jpg

An armoured vehicle breaks through a barricade during an operation to evict anti-government "red shirt" protesters from their encampment in Bangkok May 19, 2010. Thai troops and armoured vehicles broke through barricades of tyres and staves on Wednesday in a fresh offensive to evict thousands of anti-government protesters from their fortified camp in central Bangkok, witnesses said.

Much of this could have been avoided if there had been a designated protest site - a large field with basic facilities outside downtown Bangkok. That's what the Cambodians just arranged - for future protests in their country. Granted, it's easier said than done, but if the initial protesters had been funneled to a large field somewhere, then things would not have gotten so far out of hand.

Plus, recent reports of freezing accounts of many big businesses and big shot Thais associated with Thaksin and the Reds is BIG NEWS. You can bet there are a lot of big shots close to the Shinawats, who are cussing and shouting and banging furniture against walls.

They should be announcing over loud speakers that all the red's bank accounts have been frozen and a 100,000 baht payout is not going to happen. We are now entering the most dangerous stage where all Thaksin has left is any connections he has within the army to try and overthrow the current army command.

it just shows how stupid these red people are

when the army, police and press from every corner of the world are looking for 'men in black'

'the men in black' wear ................................BLACK!

they might as well paint a big red target on the front of their shirts and ''shoot me'' on the back

PM Abhisit in his TV address on 15 May 2010: ?Losses will have to be endured. It is the only way to righteousness.?

When Somchai Wongsawat?s actions as PM led to the death of two PAD protesters in October 2008, Abhisit sounded very much different (according to Matichon Weekend, 23-29 April 2010):

?Regarding the entire incident, the prime minister cannot reject being responsible for not performing his duties, or for intending that this incident would occur. But what is worse is to blame the officials, that is, to slander the people. I could not think or dream that we would have a state that does harm to the people, even including deaths and severe injuries, and still have a state that even shifts responsibility to the people. This behavior is unacceptable.

I have heard the government asking this or that person whether they were Thai or not. But regarding your [somchai Wongsawat] behavior, are you a Thai or not? Are you human or not? Today, politically, your legitimacy is gone already. We demand that the prime minister shows responsibility.? Abhisit referred to resignation or the dissolution of parliament. If Somchai remained idle, this would do harm to the country and to the political system.

?There is no democratic political system in this world in which the people are harmed by the state, but the government that came from the people does not show responsibility. ? Even if the PAD had done something wrong, the government had no right to do harm to the people.?

When the reporters asked Abhisit at that time how come that there could be such a big crisis, while the PM could still remain in office, Abhisit briefly but clearly answered:

?I cannot answer this. I have never been such a person. The normal human beings that I know are not of this kind.?

The paper concluded, ?Abhisit?s words in the past and his actions in the present are totally opposite.?

BBC showing APCs and water cannon in action.

Looks like this is the end.

Sorry for the poor dupes who thought they were protesting for democracy (which they already have).

We now know this was all about power and money.

Hats off to Abhisit!

I am watching the events unfold like many of you and am surprised and dissappointed at the dismal coverage by the bbc,considering the large expat community in Thailand,the other international news crews seem to be covering the situation much better!

Those who take children into this are worse than the terrorists themselves. Have they no conscience ?

Agreed,the women whosmugly told the cameras that they would "die for the cause" should have their children taken off them,and then be granted their wish

Much of this could have been avoided if there had been a designated protest site - a large field with basic facilities outside downtown Bangkok. That's what the Cambodians just arranged - for future protests in their country. Granted, it's easier said than done, but if the initial protesters had been funneled to a large field somewhere, then things would not have gotten so far out of hand.

Plus, recent reports of freezing accounts of many big businesses and big shot Thais associated with Thaksin and the Reds is BIG NEWS. You can bet there are a lot of big shots close to the Shinawats, who are cussing and shouting and banging furniture against walls.

Thaskin is definatly the cause and the financial organizer of this protest

Panic and chaos will allow him to return

But the question is

Is Thaskin the head of all of this

or just a puppet himself

There are many of my business friends who say he is but a puppet of The New World Order

and Thailand is a test site for bigger things to come

Those Illuminati fellows are back again...here I was thinking Angel & Demons had gotten that sorted out :)