Bangkok Gripped By Looting And Arson

george

My GF said it was on Thai TV that many "protesters" captured today where Cambodian.

Who knows the truth? But this seems to be a common rumour coming from both sides over recent days.

The protestors are Cambodian, the military is using Cambodians/Burmese etc etc.

Seems to me like a form of communal denial from all sides that Thai is fighting Thai. Because we can't have that can we?

Yeah, they're blaming foreigners for their frightened troops that shoot unarmed protestors - bit like Karzai blaming election corruption on foreigners. Almost all the 'victories' that the Thai armed forces have won in history have been on Thai soil fighting either their own people or foreigners who they surrendered or lost Thai land to in the first place, particularly the Burmese, French and Japanese. I'm not blaming the conscripts for that - just the commanders.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to set aside the blame game and prey for peace..........

On the contrary, it should never be forgotten what the red shirts have done to the country. Shame on them and their tyrant leader Thaksin.

Thank you Abhisit for finally taking strong action. I just wish that this had been done a month ago. better later than never though.

Not the red shirts per se- I don't think most of them knew that they were being used by Mr. T. and his cronies in a plot that had a very simple goal: Get T's money and position back, and his jail sentence waived. Most of them thought and still think they're fighting for the poor masses and against the elites. Exception, the leaders of the reds - pure scum - and T himself.

What pisses me off most about the reds leadership is that they have, from the very beginning, betrayed all those who believed in them. What they did in order to harm their enemies was not good - but what they did harming their friends is unforgivable.

A sad day for Thailand and its people.

I hope this unrest is sorted throughout this evening and the army can take back control of Bangkok before its too late.

Too late for what, hoss? For this place to continue being exactly as you like it?

How many people are going to be out of work tomorrow as a result of their place of business being burnt down?

How many farang business's are going to pack up and leave in the near future?

How long will the tourist stay away from Thailand bringing their economy to a complete standstill?

As to your first question: 12 full-timers and 3 part-timers.

As to the 2nd: let's hope a lot.

As to the 3rd: on average, 3 weeks and 4 days.

Who will pay for the damage?

Wow... that's the best question of all!! Why didn't I think of that earlier? Well let's see... I can chip in a thousand I suppose. You?

This is a disaster...

Is it now?

--

Somchai

Dear Thaksin,

There is no pit in hel_l low enough for you. Your role in the suffering of Thailand will be a permanent stain on Thai history. A human travesty.

Let the law of Karma do its job!

naa - the military and their guns will do a much better job and its quicker - with the curfew in place their orders will be to shoot to kill and I wish them great success

Good hunting of those rats and take care boys

I have posted this on another thread but in case some of you haven't seen it, I am posting it here.

The following is an extract from an article from today's Nation Newspaper (I know, I know - not a great fan of Thaksin) The interesting part is where the Puea Thai Party confirm that Thaksin was heavily involved.

The defiant crowd presented another snag after Thaksin allegedly made demands that could not be met by the government. According to a government source, Thaksin, through his representatives, appeared uninterested in an early end to the red shirts' protests and riots as long as he did not get what he wanted.

"As long as Thaksin does not get what he wants, he won't let this end so easily," said the source. "His latest condition is that he wants not only amnesty in the different cases against him, but also have his passports returned. Those conditions cannot be met by the government."

Violence continued but with decreased intensity in Bangkok, with Bon Kai and Rajprarop remaining the most sensitive areas, where sporadic gunshots and explosions were still heard. The fatality toll since last Friday was 37, excluding Maj-General Khattiya Sawasdipol. Nearly 300 people are injured.

Thaksin's influence in the ongoing secret talks between the government and the red shirts was confirmed by another source from the opposition Pheu Thai Party.

The source, who is close to the ex-premier, said that certain Pheu Thai leaders and Thaksin's close relatives were also involved in the secret talks. In addition to other conditions, such as the date for a new election, Thaksin also made his personal demands.

"Up till now, there have been no positive responses to the demands. These include a return of part of assets from the asset-seizure case and a return of Thaksin's passports," said the Pheu Thai source.

The source also said that Thaksin has a "trump card" in hand that he would use if the talks fail.

"The real strategists [Thaksin's allies from the military] will play an underground game by staging sabotage acts in different areas throughout the city and other major provinces in order to pressure the government to accept Thaksin's conditions," the source said.

Unquote

Also did you see all the denials that Thaksin gave to the international media today? In all the time that Thaksin was in power and all during the time that he has been in exile, not once has he accepted responsibility for his actions. It has always been someone else's fault but never, ever his. The nearly 3,000 deaths in his drug war was never his fault. The several hundred deaths of the Muslims who died in the military trucks was never his fault. The coup against him was never his fault. He must not have heard that the buck stops at the PM's desk.

What an utterly, contemptible, despicable and miserable little sh-t Thaksin is. Wherever he goes and whatever he does, he leaves a very bad smell.

He also mentioned that the troops on the street were from Myanmar and Cambodia.

I kept my mouth shut and left him to it.

MY gf told me the same, when she left our neighborhood 2 days ago passing the military checkpoint, the soldiers did not spoke any thai, they were from Cambodia she said...

Sigh... :)

It is very sad that you actually repeated this.

My GF said it was on Thai TV that many "protesters" captured today where Cambodian.

Yeah, they're blaming foreigners for their frightened troops - bit like Karzai blaming election corruption on foreigners. Almost all the 'victories' that the Thai armed forces have won in history have been on Thai soil fighting either their own people or foreigners who they surrendered or lost Thai land to in the first place, particularly the Burmese, French and Japanese. I'm not blaming the conscripts for that - just the commanders. The problem arises when Thai school children are taught fabrications in Thai history. I wonder what the official histories will say about 2010.

Edited by Token

Yeah, they're blaming foreigners for their frightened troops that shoot unarmed protestors - bit like Karzai blaming election corruption on foreigners. Almost all the 'victories' that the Thai armed forces have won in history have been on Thai soil fighting either their own people or foreigners who they surrendered or lost Thai land to in the first place, particularly the Burmese, French and Japanese. I'm not blaming the conscripts for that - just the commanders.

Which unarmed protestors would those be?

The ones unarmed with M79 grenades maybe?

The red leaders were complete morons!

Just last week they had the government on its knees.

I was even contemplating that the government was going to give in.

Should of taken that Nov 14th offer.

Hope they like their jail cells. However don't some of the leaders have some sort of amnesty like being MPs or have some political backing?

They should receive maximum sentences e.g. life in prison for terrorism and treason, but I bet some Phea Thai MPs would force an amnestry for reconciliation.

I just corrected that because I know some of the red shirts have been reported as being armed, but it doesn't mean those who were killed were the same ones. Remember a disproportionate number of reporters have been wounded or killed - were they armed? In fact, all the weapons used by the reds I've seen on TV have been firecrackers and slingshots and firework rockets fired from metal tubes.

Edited by Token

I'm surprised there have only been 2 or 3 reported deaths today.

Fire trucks should have accompanying troops with rifles ready. When the truck is impeded, trying to get to a blaze, the troops should shoot any punks who impede firefighters from doing their job. Ok, maybe be nice about it, and shoot the punks in the legs, though if the punk has a weapon (or bomb), he could fire back. While he's writhing in pain on the ground, put cuffs on him and haul him off to a hospital and then book him accordingly. If you need to put masking tape on his yelling mouth, then do it.

Also, let's see some troops shooting the guys torching the buildings. Call me bloodthirsty if you want, but I'm happy to draw the line: Get caught torching (or about to torch) a building in the big city, and get shot. Simple as that.

I just corrected that because I know some of the red shirts have been reported as being armed, but it doesn't mean those who were killed were the same ones. In fact, all I've seen on TV have been firecrackers and slingshots and firework rockets fired from metal tubes.

dude, are you legally blind?! Go to youtube. Countless videos of the well over 100 shots from M79s. I got nearly hit by bombs today at On Nut. Please get a clue before you post and make an a_s out of yourself. I dont know what TV channel you were watching, but it must've been thaksinzonelive in order NOT to notice the weapons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

......all the weapons used by the reds I've seen on TV have been firecrackers and slingshots and firework rockets fired from metal tubes.

Then you haven't been paying attention to what's really been going on. Please don't act dumb and innocent while attempting to paint the Reds as victims. Get real, pal.

Of course not. Abhisit should have worked harder to negotiate. Instead he took the lazy and stupid way out, by bringing in the troops. Actually he knew very well what would happen if he did that - and, he most certainally got it. Abhisit belongs behind bars.

I have seen a few of your posts and i wonder when you got hit on your head. Its either that or you were born this way either way i just feel sorry for you.

Abhisit did the right thing he negotiated with the reds and they backed out of their word, they wanted this its on their hands.

......all the weapons used by the reds I've seen on TV have been firecrackers and slingshots and firework rockets fired from metal tubes.

Then you haven't been paying attention to what's really been going on. Please don't act dumb and innocent while attempting to paint the Reds as victims. Get real, pal.

Anybody know what happened to the SET Building?

It would be interesting to get evidence of this either way. Yesterday I saw a red shirt woman interviewed on Thai TV saying they had been told the army had dressed up Khmer mercenaries in Thai army uniforms because Thai soldiers refused to shoot Thais which effectively scared them into not leaving the rally site for fear of being shot on sight by the barbarians. The Australian National University's red shirt and ant-monarchist website, New Mandala, had a clip with a Thai soldier shouting something they claimed was in Khmer. I played it back many times and it wasn't any discernible language. I think it was most likely Thai played backwards. Anyway the Thai officer corps seems to have enough trouble disciplining their own Thai conscripts and I can't imagine they would dare recruit Cambodians, although there are certainly many Khmer speaking Thai conscripts from Surin, Burin and Si Saket. Probably the worst thing you can accuse some one of being in Cambodia is a Thai mercenary or paid protestor.

Or like the famous general did say, dead now, that Thai soldiers were using homosexual tactics (whatever it means he meant it in a derogatory way).

So now the troops are Cambodian? What a peace of nonsense. It makes you think about the educational system in this country if people believe this kind of thing.

Edited by macwalen

I just corrected that because I know some of the red shirts have been reported as being armed, but it doesn't mean those who were killed were the same ones. Remember a disproportionate number of reporters have been wounded or killed - were they armed? In fact, all the weapons used by the reds I've seen on TV have been firecrackers and slingshots and firework rockets fired from metal tubes.

I picked the wrong day to go to the temporary office of the US Consulate but I needed additional pages in my passport in preparation for a trip. I couldn't go earlier because I have been dealing with renewal of my work permit and visa which my university kept putting off until last week. We have a liason who takes care of this who had my passport in his possession for several days. Anyway, I decided to eat lunch in the hotel since I was down there.

All of a sudden, the management asks me to move away from the windows as they have received word protests are going on down below. (This is the Westin Grande at Sukhumvit Soi 19). When I finished my lunch, I attempted to leave the hotel. There were no taxis available. The hotel tried to call for one but the streets had been blocked off.

I was locked in this hotel for two hours while moto taxis/protestors drove around the neighborhood creating havoc-doing burning and other things. I could not see much as they put plywood on their windows. I was stuck in the lobby with two families. Other guests checked out earlier and took the hotels 5 limo cars ahead of us. One of the other individuals was in contact with a work colleague who was at the Marriott at Sukumvit 2 and that hotel was not letting anyone leave-staff or guests-they were all told to spend the night.When we were finally allowed to leave and I got a taxi home to Lad Prao area, we went by Asok,Petchaburi, Din Daeng, and some other areas trying to get through as streets were blocked.

I saw several protestors starting to light tires across the street in full view of police officers (they had several bands on their shirts so they had some higher rank).They stood there talking like there was no care in the world. They did not care that the indiciduals were starting to light a fire. I'm suprised they did not go over and offer them a match or light it themselves!

This is who I place a lot of of blame on behind the red shirt protestors/leaders, of course. The police who not only did not enforce the arrest warrents but stand and watch as crimes are being committed and do nothing.I have seen similar videos on TV with some of their pictures. They should immediately be fired and lose all of their benefits not a transfer to an inactive post. I wanted to take a picture but once the light turned green and the road was open, the taxi hauled out of the area too fast to get a picture. Shame on the police-they should be fired.

This is a terrible blow for Thailand. There has to be more respect for the rule of law. This is what happens when you let protesters have their way, anywhere and anytime. They also should have stopped the yellow shirts before they occupied the airport too. It is a mindset that has to stop in Thailand. Protests are fine, given the govt. controls the time and place. The rule of law must come back to Thailand or these anarchists will have their way. Nothing democratic about what is happening now.

I hope a lesson is learned and those responsible will face harsh penalities. Thailand, as we know it, is at stake.

Anybody know what happened to the SET Building?

Sorry I dont but I live in On Nut and there was a bomb that went off there today near Tesco Lotus and friends witnessed some shooting from people on motorbikes. Later this evening I heard a huge bang anyone have more info on On Nut?

You must be watching CNN, try looking at other sources where plenty of reds have been filmed using handguns, assault rifles and grenade launchers. See the photos of the soldier and reporter severely wounded by a grenade blast? Maybe they got those injuries from a tickling stick?

Well, it's now been reported the reds have openly called for shooting reporters, so I guess we know who has been shooting them. This is pretty well confirmed now that they are tourching entire buildings with hundreds of people in them to get that the news stations.

Edited by rabo

I just corrected that because I know some of the red shirts have been reported as being armed, but it doesn't mean those who were killed were the same ones. In fact, all I've seen on TV have been firecrackers and slingshots and firework rockets fired from metal tubes.

dude, are you legally blind?! Go to youtube. Countless videos of the well over 100 shots from M79s. I got nearly hit by bombs today at On Nut. Please get a clue before you post and make an a_s out of yourself. I dont know what TV channel you were watching, but it must've been thaksinzonelive in order NOT to notice the weapons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just being the devil's advocate - you really should try not to get soooo upset, Baby Boo Boo, it's only Thaivisa. :) You sure u weren't hit by that bomb - better check again!

This is a terrible blow for Thailand. There has to be more respect for the rule of law. This is what happens when you let protesters have their way, anywhere and anytime. They also should have stopped the yellow shirts before they occupied the airport too. It is a mindset that has to stop in Thailand. Protests are fine, given the govt. controls the time and place. The rule of law must come back to Thailand or these anarchists will have their way. Nothing democratic about what is happening now.

I hope a lesson is learned and those responsible will face harsh penalities. Thailand, as we know it, is at stake.

If Thailand does not get rid of the coruption that is in all layers of police, government...

There will not be much respect for the law

Actually it started with Abhisit, who knew very well what would be the outcome of a harsh crackdown, yet insanly and irresponsibly proceeded with it.

Of course, blaming everything on Thaksin is the convinient excuse that relieves one of using the grey matter... as to the real cause of the problem.

There is some relief knowing that one day Abhisit will pay for his crimes behind bars.

What harsh crackdown? The reds are rioting because their leaders surrendered.

And where is the international condemnation? There isn't any, since every western country would have dealt with this in exactly the same way, or in a way leading to even more deaths.

Most western governments would have sent in their trained riot police at the end of the first day of the street protest, cracked a few heads and kept it under control on a daily basis.

Even Greece can manage that (more or less).

A continuing national shame for Thailand that it has no functioning police force.

Where are they when the looters are in the streets?

Well, it's now been reported the reds have openly called for shooting reporters, so I guess we know who has been shooting them.

Oh so it's well confirmed then - must be true as all the evidence is in your little pearl of wisdom.

I picked the wrong day to go to the temporary office of the US Consulate but I needed additional pages in my passport in preparation for a trip. I couldn't go earlier because I have been dealing with renewal of my work permit and visa which my university kept putting off until last week. We have a liason who takes care of this who had my passport in his possession for several days. Anyway, I decided to eat lunch in the hotel since I was down there.

All of a sudden, the management asks me to move away from the windows as they have received word protests are going on down below. (This is the Westin Grande at Sukhumvit Soi 19). When I finished my lunch, I attempted to leave the hotel. There were no taxis available. The hotel tried to call for one but the streets had been blocked off.

I was locked in this hotel for two hours while moto taxis/protestors drove around the neighborhood creating havoc-doing burning and other things. I could not see much as they put plywood on their windows. I was stuck in the lobby with two families. Other guests checked out earlier and took the hotels 5 limo cars ahead of us. One of the other individuals was in contact with a work colleague who was at the Marriott at Sukumvit 2 and that hotel was not letting anyone leave-staff or guests-they were all told to spend the night.When we were finally allowed to leave and I got a taxi home to Lad Prao area, we went by Asok,Petchaburi, Din Daeng, and some other areas trying to get through as streets were blocked.

I saw several protestors starting to light tires across the street in full view of police officers (they had several bands on their shirts so they had some higher rank).They stood there talking like there was no care in the world. They did not care that the indiciduals were starting to light a fire. I'm suprised they did not go over and offer them a match or light it themselves!

This is who I place a lot of of blame on behind the red shirt protestors/leaders, of course. The police who not only did not enforce the arrest warrents but stand and watch as crimes are being committed and do nothing.I have seen similar videos on TV with some of their pictures. They should immediately be fired and lose all of their benefits not a transfer to an inactive post. I wanted to take a picture but once the light turned green and the road was open, the taxi hauled out of the area too fast to get a picture. Shame on the police-they should be fired.

I agree with you entirely. The police in this country have been an absolute disgrace for years and have proven themselves over the last few weeks to be a complete and utterly rotten shambles. Grinning idiots watching while a hospital was invaded, while crimes were comitted and now while Bangkok burns. When the smoke settles, the government should make it a priority to sack EVERY member of the police force and get them to re-apply if they want to join a new force, made up on completely new lines with a total eradication of the stinking, corrupt system they have had up to now. Start by getting those thieving cops of the streets stealing money in broad daylight off innocent motorists and kick them out right to the very top.