Dual Nationality

Can a child born in England to a Thai Mother apply for dual nationality? We spend approx 4 months of the year in Thailand, I need a visa no probs, however my child who is now two needs to apply for the same visa as me even though his mother is Thai. Does any one have any helpful info on this.

Yes you can, although I am not yet sure of all the ins and outs as yet, but the missus was on the phone to the Thai Consulate in London the other day trying to find out further info.

We are just waiting for the info pack to arrive now, when it does i'll post an update :o

No need to 'apply' for dual nationality per se.

You need to apply to Thai embassy in London for a Thai birth certificate first. This will require evidence of the mothers Thai nationality and the UK birth certificiate. Once this is done, the child is considered registered as a Thai national. Following this, you can apply for a Thai passport through the same embassy for your child.

When travelling, you depart the UK on the British PP, enter Thailand on the Thai PP. On the way back, depart Thailand on the Thai PP, and enter the UK on the British PP by walking though the EU/EEA channel at the airport.

I see that your child is a boy. At this stage, I don't recommend that you he gets put on his family's house registration in Thailand. That puts him on the radar for the eventual military draft when he turns 18. If he isn't living in Thailand, there is no point putting him through that.

On the assumption that either you are British or the mother has indefinite leave to remain in the UK, then your child can legitimately hold both a British and Thai passport.

Scouse.

Yes i am British and my wife has indefinite leave to remain in the Uk. So i take it i need to contact the thai embassy in London.

Yes you can, although I am not yet sure of all the ins and outs as yet, but the missus was on the phone to the Thai Consulate in London the other day trying to find out further info.

We are just waiting for the info pack to arrive now, when it does i'll post an update :o

Thanks for your reply, it looks promising from what you have all said

No need to 'apply' for dual nationality per se.

You need to apply to Thai embassy in London for a Thai birth certificate first. This will require evidence of the mothers Thai nationality and the UK birth certificiate. Once this is done, the child is considered registered as a Thai national. Following this, you can apply for a Thai passport through the same embassy for your child.

When travelling, you depart the UK on the British PP, enter Thailand on the Thai PP. On the way back, depart Thailand on the Thai PP, and enter the UK on the British PP by walking though the EU/EEA channel at the airport.

I see that your child is a boy. At this stage, I don't recommend that you he gets put on his family's house registration in Thailand. That puts him on the radar for the eventual military draft when he turns 18. If he isn't living in Thailand, there is no point putting him through that.

Thanks samran, i will speak to the embassy in london to apply for a birth certificate. I am well impressed with the responce from you all. Once again Thanks.

Can a child born in England to a Thai Mother apply for dual nationality? We spend approx 4 months of the year in Thailand, I need a visa no probs, however my child who is now two needs to apply for the same visa as me even though his mother is Thai. Does any one have any helpful info on this.

I've just done it. I am British living in France with my Thai wife & we are moving to live in Thailand this month. Went to the Thai Emabassy in Paris & I month later my 9 year old son has a Thai passport. This means he will inherit our house in LOS ( no inheritance tax). As for national service I've heard that there is a system of white or red straws and if he pulls a red there is always someone willing to buy it off you ...

I've just done it. I am British living in France with my Thai wife & we are moving to live in Thailand this month. Went to the Thai Emabassy in Paris & I month later my 9 year old son has a Thai passport. This means he will inherit our house in LOS ( no inheritance tax). As for national service I've heard that there is a system of white or red straws and if he pulls a red there is always someone willing to buy it off you ...

there are more legit ways to avoid it. Do a search under my name and you will find out how.