Briton In Red Shirt Demonstration Regrets Video Arson Gibe

george

Continued from here

Briton in Red Shirt demonstration regrets video arson gibe

Richard Lloyd Parry, Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- A British Red Shirt who was shown on YouTube promising to burn down a Bangkok shopping centre has expressed regret for his words and insisted that he had nothing to do with the arson attack that destroyed the luxury mall four days later.

Jeff Savage, of Tonbridge in Kent, said that his outburst, which has caused outrage among Thai internet users, was sarcastic and came at a moment of frustration because of the imminent suppression of the Red Shirt demonstrators by the Thai Army.

“I hold my hands up — it was me, and I’m ashamed that I lost my temper,” he told The Times by telephone from his home in the Thai resort town of Pattaya. “I was tired and emotional and full of steroids. I said we’re going to burn down Central — I was being sarcastic.”

The 74-second video was removed from YouTube by the young American man who filmed Mr Savage, 48, on Saturday as he walked down a street occupied by the anti-Government Red Shirt protesters. It showed him dressed in the black clothes of the protest movement’s guards and brandishing a stick which he throws down in anger.

Amid much swearing he is heard to say: “We’re going to burn down Central World,” and threatening to loot gold and jewellery from the shopping centre. To Mr Savage’s embarrassment, Central World was burnt down by a mob on Wednesday, after Red Shirt leaders handed themselves in to Thai police and called off their protests.

He insisted that he had played no part in the mayhem, and that at the time he was watching — although not taking part in — another arson attack on a Thai television station. But he defended the destruction of property as a weapon in the “class war” which he believes the Red Shirts are fighting.

“I was not involved [in either arson attack], it was far too dangerous,” he said. “But from what I heard it was some of the guards which did it to Central. I heard rumours that it was planned and that stuff had been put inside — gas canisters and stuff. It didn’t just go off because someone put a lighter to it.”

An Australian man has stood up and given speeches at Red Shirt rallies but Mr Savage is the only Briton known to be an active member of the movement. He said: “I don’t mind if they knock on my door and throw me out of the country. But I would be disappointed to end up in a Thai jail.”

-- TimesOnline, UK 2010-05-21

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it was him in the other photo on the BTS stairs too so how does he explain that?

He should be punished just like others but he knew that if he took part what the consequences would be for foreigners and should expect nothing less that what was stated prior to the demonstrations.

“I hold my hands up — it was me, and I’m ashamed that I lost my temper,” he told The Times by telephone from his home in the Thai resort town of Pattaya. “I was tired and emotional and full of steroids. I said we’re going to burn down Central — I was being sarcastic.”

A Brit, tattoos, steroids, empty threats, throws tantrums, home in Sisaket and lives in Pattaya. I get the picture.

But it was him in the other photo on the BTS stairs too so how does he explain that?

He should be punished just like others but he knew that if he took part what the consequences would be for foreigners and should expect nothing less that what was stated prior to the demonstrations.

As for the Thai leaders. This happened this time because they weren't tough enough last time. If they do nothing it won't be the end of future violence. This will have been seen as a test of the government. One whereby they learn each time how the government is likely to respond to any given situation and simply adapt and improve their tactics next time. It's high time that those involved in this have to be made an example of to discourage others from taking part in future violent destructive demonstrations.

If they do nothing now they deserve everything in the future.

Idiot. He should try to do this in London after his jail term in Thailand!

Must be the old colonial thinking in his genes which made him believe that he has the right to join a political rally here and cause damage to public and private property.

I hope there is no double standard in his case.

?????????????????

Does someone have that photo we can see?

This dude needs to be exported to England. He can play terrorist there with the _ _ _ _ _ _ _.

A Brit, tattoos, steroids, empty threats, throws tantrums, home in Sisaket and lives in Pattaya. I get the picture.

Please do not generalize (neither Brits nor Pattaya), although one is tempted to do so, in reading his story.

Jail term for joining group to insist unrest.

Then kicking out of the country for getting involved in internal affairs.

Such a soft brain bring us foreigners in a bad light.

You're a prick of the first order, pal, and need a right kick up the jacksy. <deleted> do you think you're playing at? This place has enough problems without twisted aliens like yourself adding to them. You're an embarrassment and deserve to be treated more harshly than the natives.

poor soul...

he's not supposed to be involving himself in the first place, less sporting a red guard shirt...

what he said were all but lame excuses. i guess he's now rushing on his flight out of the kingdom as we discuss his stupidity...

The man is only 48 years old, he still have several years to grown up. It is good that mothers overlook many faults of their children, but this one would likely be pushing his father's understanding. Experiment gone bad, springs to mind.

You should not let your mouth write checks you ass cant cash. Maybe a few years in a Thai jail would give him a new look on life

You don't have a problem with a foreigner broadly announcing to commit arson and looting in a foreign country?

Get him in jail.

Idiot. He should try to do this in London after his jail term in Thailand!

Must be the old colonial thinking in his genes which made him believe that he has the right to join a political rally here and cause damage to public and private property.

I hope there is no double standard in his case.

Old colonial? Was that what the British Empire was built on? Hardly.

"Class war" my arse. Just another gobby yob... there's at least one in every pub in England Pattaya.

PS. Jeff, do you have a WP?

Edited by NanLaew

"I hold my hands up — it was me, and I'm ashamed that I lost my temper," he told The Times by telephone from his home in the Thai resort town of Pattaya. "I was tired and emotional and full of steroids. I said we're going to burn down Central — I was being sarcastic."

"I was being sarcastic" Doesnt sound like sarcasm to me.

Steroids, Pattaya, tantrums....yeah that all fits. Does Pattaya advertise specificaly for this kind? He probably has a big car too....maybe a yellow hummer... to make up for his tiny....... (you complete the sentence).

As a farang its really hard to live a normal life here without being embarrassed by the actions of a few idiots.

Go back to London and throw sticks around there please, see how long you last. Or maybe you cant go back because you have already prooved your worth there, spearchucker!

Please do not generalize (neither Brits nor Pattaya), although one is tempted to do so, in reading his story.

You're right, no one should generalize. But it's inevitable. And like it or not, fair or not, behavior like this tars us all to some degree. These are precarious, dangerous times in Thailand, and people are getting hurt. Thailand has a right to expect us to keep out of their business. This guy had no right to interpose himself into their process. If he ends up in a Thai jail before he's returned home, I won't be donating to the defense fund to get him out. He's eligible for at least a short stay for being stupid if not for speaking incitefully. And after he gets home I wouldn't shed any tears over perhaps some limitations on his future ability to travel abroad. Yeah - free speech IS important, but you have to take responsibility and bear the consequences for what you say.

I am a brit, I live & work in Pattaya. I am ashamed.

If I see this guy anywhere in Pattaya I will call the cops myself.

There are lots of scumbags here, yes, but please I urge you all not to think that we are ALL the same here, it's simply not the case.

Let's hope that this scumbag gets what's comng to him, Im sure that it won't be pleasant.

You're a prick of the first order, pal, and need a right kick up the jacksy. <deleted> do you think you're playing at? This place has enough problems without twisted aliens like yourself adding to them. You're an embarrassment and deserve to be treated more harshly than the natives.

Thank you, jackr. I would have probably put it more politely out of habit, but this is exactly what was going through my mind. :)