BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
innerspace

3g In Pattaya

I have heard reports of 3g trials taking place in Pattaya but none of the operators seem to advertise any coverage.

Can anyone confirm whether you can pickup 3g in Pattaya and if so :-

What network?

How fast?

How reliable?

How much?

I would be prepared to wait a long time for current technology to invade. If you cannot buy it at Tukcom you aint going to see it for a while.

I could be wrong but check with AIS I thank they are in Pattaya on 3G

There is currently 3G service available in Pattaya. AIS had announced a pilot project for Bangkok and Chonburi but, to date, only the Bangkok pilot project has started.

The phone shops are proudly advertising their latest models are 3 G but if the networks don't provide it whats the point .....even if they go to 3G, it will probably be shit anyway, like their internet services ???

there is no 3G service in Pattaya. none. not AIS, not DTAC, not Hutch, not Tukcom, not Centan Fetiban.

yet.

Now Hutch is in Pattaya and the Speed is not bad. It may be not 3G however when a Guy did compare CAT (same set up as Hutch with EVDO) with the 3G available in Phuket he wrote that EDVO is faster and has less drops.

I use Hutch here and I am happy with it. I also use it as back up at my workplace. When the Internet there drops out I just change to Hutch.

Actually Pattaya and surroundings is almost entirely covered with 3G service, albeit not the common version (HSDPA over GSM).

Hutch offers CDMA -EVDO, with speeds p to 3.1 Mbps, average more like between 0,5 and 1,5 Mbps.

Still between 2 and 6 times faster then GPRS/EDGE on a very good day!

For long time Hutch users, you do need a new dongle to get those speeds!

http://www.hutch.co.th/mbi/postpaid/index_en.htm

Actually Pattaya and surroundings is almost entirely covered with 3G service, albeit not the common version (HSDPA over GSM).

Hutch offers CDMA -EVDO, with speeds p to 3.1 Mbps, average more like between 0,5 and 1,5 Mbps.

so how does that work with a 3g phone------------my uk 3g phone is a year old and fires up like a goodun in uk but back to edge here. do i need to check handbook and change sim card any help please. ta

so how does that work with a 3g phone------------my uk 3g phone is a year old and fires up like a goodun in uk but back to edge here. do i need to check handbook and change sim card any help please. ta

Won't work.

Different network, your phone uses 3G through the HSDPA network, Hutch offers 3G through the CDMA network. Not compatible.

3G is not really a technology, it is a standard. It basically only sets a minimum attainable speed before a system can be called 3G. Both CDMA (EV-DO) and GSM (HSDPA) reach that minimum speed so both can be called 3G.

Won't work.

Different network, your phone uses 3G through the HSDPA network, Hutch offers 3G through the CDMA network. Not compatible.

3G is not really a technology, it is a standard. It basically only sets a minimum attainable speed before a system can be called 3G. Both CDMA (EV-DO) and GSM (HSDPA) reach that minimum speed so both can be called 3G.

ok thanks i understand-----i think-----so 2 sorts of op system for say computer dongels-----hutch and the rest such as a dtac card in an type of dongel and then the phone HSDPA. so just wait for the phone type to become more available

So, can you confirm that what people usually call 3G for cellphones is not currently available anywhere in Thailand ?

People who pretend to use 3G only use CDMA with a special card plugged on their computer? (but not cellphone)

Thanks.

So, can you confirm that what people usually call 3G for cellphones is not currently available anywhere in Thailand ?

People who pretend to use 3G only use CDMA with a special card plugged on their computer? (but not cellphone)

Thanks.

Do your research or search the board. Don't be lazy. It is available in some places.

Thanks.

Do your research or search the board. Don't be lazy. It is available in some places.

I checked the international speedtest to hutch3G and it is about 120 to 280 kps in Sout Pattaya in theyr Office at 4 clock afternoon. Not fast, but faster than normal mobilephones. Not sure how it is in BKK. Pattaya maybe not ready yet.

Thanks.

I checked the international speedtest to hutch3G and it is about 120 to 280 kps in Sout Pattaya in theyr Office at 4 clock afternoon. Not fast, but faster than normal mobilephones. Not sure how it is in BKK. Pattaya maybe not ready yet.

Don't know what happened to TOT promised completion date of April for their 3G rollout in Pattaya.