3g In Pattaya

innerspace

I have heard reports of 3g trials taking place in Pattaya but none of the operators seem to advertise any coverage.

Can anyone confirm whether you can pickup 3g in Pattaya and if so :-

What network?

How fast?

How reliable?

How much?

there is no 3G service in Pattaya. none. not AIS, not DTAC, not Hutch, not Tukcom, not Centan Fetiban.

yet.

Now Hutch is in Pattaya and the Speed is not bad. It may be not 3G however when a Guy did compare CAT (same set up as Hutch with EVDO) with the 3G available in Phuket he wrote that EDVO is faster and has less drops.

I use Hutch here and I am happy with it. I also use it as back up at my workplace. When the Internet there drops out I just change to Hutch.

Actually Pattaya and surroundings is almost entirely covered with 3G service, albeit not the common version (HSDPA over GSM).

Hutch offers CDMA -EVDO, with speeds p to 3.1 Mbps, average more like between 0,5 and 1,5 Mbps.

Still between 2 and 6 times faster then GPRS/EDGE on a very good day!

For long time Hutch users, you do need a new dongle to get those speeds!

http://www.hutch.co.th/mbi/postpaid/index_en.htm

Actually Pattaya and surroundings is almost entirely covered with 3G service, albeit not the common version (HSDPA over GSM).

Hutch offers CDMA -EVDO, with speeds p to 3.1 Mbps, average more like between 0,5 and 1,5 Mbps.

so how does that work with a 3g phone------------my uk 3g phone is a year old and fires up like a goodun in uk but back to edge here. do i need to check handbook and change sim card any help please. ta

so how does that work with a 3g phone------------my uk 3g phone is a year old and fires up like a goodun in uk but back to edge here. do i need to check handbook and change sim card any help please. ta

Won't work.

Different network, your phone uses 3G through the HSDPA network, Hutch offers 3G through the CDMA network. Not compatible.

3G is not really a technology, it is a standard. It basically only sets a minimum attainable speed before a system can be called 3G. Both CDMA (EV-DO) and GSM (HSDPA) reach that minimum speed so both can be called 3G.

Won't work.

Different network, your phone uses 3G through the HSDPA network, Hutch offers 3G through the CDMA network. Not compatible.

3G is not really a technology, it is a standard. It basically only sets a minimum attainable speed before a system can be called 3G. Both CDMA (EV-DO) and GSM (HSDPA) reach that minimum speed so both can be called 3G.

ok thanks i understand-----i think-----so 2 sorts of op system for say computer dongels-----hutch and the rest such as a dtac card in an type of dongel and then the phone HSDPA. so just wait for the phone type to become more available

• 2 months later...

So, can you confirm that what people usually call 3G for cellphones is not currently available anywhere in Thailand ?

People who pretend to use 3G only use CDMA with a special card plugged on their computer? (but not cellphone)

Thanks.

Do your research or search the board. Don't be lazy. It is available in some places.

So, can you confirm that what people usually call 3G for cellphones is not currently available anywhere in Thailand ?

People who pretend to use 3G only use CDMA with a special card plugged on their computer? (but not cellphone)

Thanks.

Do your research or search the board. Don't be lazy. It is available in some places.

I checked the international speedtest to hutch3G and it is about 120 to 280 kps in Sout Pattaya in theyr Office at 4 clock afternoon. Not fast, but faster than normal mobilephones. Not sure how it is in BKK. Pattaya maybe not ready yet.

Thanks.

I checked the international speedtest to hutch3G and it is about 120 to 280 kps in Sout Pattaya in theyr Office at 4 clock afternoon. Not fast, but faster than normal mobilephones. Not sure how it is in BKK. Pattaya maybe not ready yet.

Don't know what happened to TOT promised completion date of April for their 3G rollout in Pattaya.

Thanks.

Don't know what happened to TOT promised completion date of April for their 3G rollout in Pattaya.

They are now busy on the countrywide roll-out of high-speed WiFi...in line with the governments recent pronouncement that Thailand can be a world class WiFi "hub." LOLOL

!.5 years ago i went down to the hutch shop and got the cdma evdo. The sales girl was worried it would not work at my place (VT1 jomtien) and said to try it overnight and bring it back for full refund if it didnt work. She said the network was really designed for pattaya. I take it home and it worked AWESOME for 1.3 years! i mean never down! not even for a minute. Speeds were .3 to 1.5 Mb to new york depending on time of day.

Then 2 months ago i move to central pattaya and hutch went to complete crap! i was thinking this thing is is really gonna fly now that i am in pattaya. I go to hutch shop and complain and salesgirl says "sorry sir your speed depends on how many people use phone". So went out and got a DTAC stick and its pretty stable but slow and

been somewhat happy with it. It has dropped a few times for 10-15 mins.

I want a backup so i am going to try hutch again but this time with the new stick modem (I had the old wire attached modem) if they will let me try it overnight just for the heck of it. I miss my old hutch.

on my last visit i seen a big poster saying 3G was coming soon.

• 9 months later...

Is anyone using Trueonline 3G in Pattaya?

Spoke to a guy in the Apple Reseller place in Central & he said he is on a plan with unlimited access for just over 700 Baht. I'd kind of like to hear from a few other users regarding reliability & level of coverage first though.

Edited by Tom Kagai

Is anyone using Trueonline 3G in Pattaya?

Spoke to a guy in the Apple Reseller place in Central & he said he is on a plan with unlimited access for just over 700 Baht. I'd kind of like to hear from a few other users regarding reliability & level of coverage first though.

True 3G is ok downtown, not everywhere though. check their coverage on heir webpages. I have an unlimited card in my IPAD. Nationwide coverage is poor though, that annoys me when on biz trips.

go to AIS like i did buy a 3g dongle get promised the earth go home no good ring call centre no 3g in Pattaya, usual pack of fibs at the shop and i am sill paying as i had a 3 month contract.

The map here on the AIS website says they have 3G coverage in all of lightside Pattaya...

Does that look like Pattaya Bay to you? Looks like Chonburi to me.

Have you checked this?

Would have been good for many. :) Here's a map(Pdf) given you a clearer idea of the location and scope of coverage.

Looks as if it begins at Saen Suk and ends at Bang Pla Soi/Makham Yong if you are coming from Pattaya. Obviously the other way around if you are coming in from Bangkok.

So if you live in the vicinity of Central Plaza Chonburi, it should work.

Last month I was in chonburi and got a 3G signal with AIS. I was surprised to see it, however when testing, it did not seem very fast bringing up web pages as I would thought. I was in the northern part of chonburi on sukumvit. I have never got that signal anywhere in pattaya.

Last month I was in chonburi and got a 3G signal with AIS. I was surprised to see it, however when testing, it did not seem very fast bringing up web pages as I would thought. I was in the northern part of chonburi on sukumvit. I have never got that signal anywhere in pattaya.

How did you test it? Did you have to purchase a package or a Net SIM?

They are a little misleading on their website.

• 4 weeks later...

No more unlimited access for you. Only 3GB and then a slowdown to 256kbps.

Not sure where you're coming from with this mate. I got unlimited coverage without a problem and it's working great in town. As 'Moo9' says though, poor to non-existent outside town, even as close as Jomtien. :blink: