Moving To Phuket Next Year

I have just sold my business in the UK and would like to move to Phuket permantly in January 2006. I am married and would bring my wife and three kids too. I am too young come on a retirement visa ( only 44! ) Can anyone advise me what the best visas would be to apply for, and if it would be better to apply for them while we are still in the UK? Also what are the rules for buying and running a car in Thailand, my wife and I have international driving licences already. Any other advice would be much appreciated.

I hope that you have thought this move out in more detail than it appears at fight posting as it is not going to be a trip across town.

Providing education for three kids is going to be very expensive so be prepared. The is health care to fund. And many other factors. You should also retain a fall back as this may not work out as you expect.

For a visa at your age there is not much choice. The best would be an investment visa of 3 million baht (or more if you are so inclined) as outlined below.

Application for extension of stay of persons investing a minimum of 3 million Baht in the Kingdom

Required Documents

Evidence of transfer of at least 3 million Baht from abroad into Thailand. The applicant must be either the sender abroad or the recipient in Thailand of the investment.

Evidence of investing the transferred money after the transfer is completed in one or several of the following cases:

Deposit the money in a fixed account of a state bank (Krung Thai Bank, Government Savings Bank, Bank for Agriculture and Cooperative, Ratanasin Bank, Srinakhorn Bank, Nakhornluang Thai Bank, Housing Bank)

Buy bonds issued by a state agency or government enterprise. The bonds must be purchased directly from a state agency or government enterprise or an authorised dealer.

Buy an apartment or condominium at the price set and registered by the Land Department.

Any kind of investment deemed beneficial to the country by the Immigration Bureau.

Conditions for permission

The foreign national must permanently possess the investment. If he wishes to change the kind of investment, he first has to ask for permission to change the kind of investment and may tghen change to a new permanent kind of investment.

Note

For more information, please call 0-2285-5148

Edited by lopburi3