Boring Question

bunta71

I was chatting with someone a few days ago and we were discussing pro's and con's of the Krabi area. He was saying that some groceries,etc. were almost double in the Krabi area as compared to the North Phuket area. Anyone else feel that way/

From what you hear from saying, is the start from your lies

Not sure what that means...I am contemplating a move and last time down there about a month ago I never thought to compare grocery prices. He said he had compared prices in Tesco/lotus in Krabi with Tesco/lotus in Phuket along with other shops and found many things 100% more expensive...Who knows?

To clarify, it was me who told Bunta71 that many items that we purchased in Krabi were much more expensive than similar items in Phuket.

After living in Phuket for 4 years, I had a job in Pattaya for 1 year and then relocated with my partner to Krabi a few months ago. After being surprised at how high some prices were in Krabi when compared to similar items that we bought in Phuket, we started to keep a list of such items.

I'm talking about items bought from Tesco-Lotus, Big C, local shops, market etc. All the typical everyday items that one has to buy.

I didn't say that ALL items cost 100% more in Krabi. I said that some items cost 100% more. But when comparing our weekly shopping bill in Krabi to that in Phuket, the Krabi bill was on average, about 40% higher!

Why? When we started to compare identical items in Big C/Tesco, we found that the prices differed between Krabi and Phuket stores. Krabi was always more expensive, (which is why I posted this question in the General Forum a few weeks ago).

I was very surprised. My partner asked local Thais about this and they also said that Krabi living costs were more expensive than Phuket. The price of fruit/veg in the local markets was also much (MUCH!) higher than the markets in Phuket (we have been travelling to Phuket for 1 day each week, so have verified this)

I'm not being tight-fisted! But we both see little point in paying over the odds. (My partner IS tight-fisted, which is not a bad thing...)

I have to say that I was very surprised that our Phuket shopping bill was less than Krabi.

Also, when we lived in Pattaya, the same shopping bill was even cheaper than Phuket.

Anyway, we are relocating next month back to north Phuket. Krabi is a lovely area, and our little rented wooden house on stilts is in a beautiful location. But my partner attends college in Phuket and it really doesn't bother me where I live; so off to Phuket we go.

Simon

right i bought some rambutton friuts in a big store in krabi last week 19 bht a kilo how much are they in phuket

you say some items are 100% more expensive ,you say you even kept a list could you just give me some examples off the 100% items as i live and shop alot in krabi

have closed my business for low season so have time on my hands to look into this sounds complete rubbish to me

Well, perhaps the locals see us for an easy touch then :)

Let's see. Last week we went shopping for vegetables in the local Thai market. Don't ask me exactly what my partner bought, a range of herbs and green vegetables for cooking Thai food. We also did the same in a market in north Phuket. The difference in overall price between the two localities? Approximately 90%!. What costs 5 baht in Phuket was priced at 10 baht in Krabi for exactly the same quantity of the same item.

She went to buy a shirt, 299 baht in Tesco Krabi, 199 baht in Tesco Phuket, (99 baht in Tesco Pattaya).

Although many will say that we are nit-picking' over what is, after all, only a small amount of money, why should we pay out 3,000 baht a week for food when we can buy exactly the same for 2,000 baht? It's only common sense to question the price difference, regardless of whether the cost is a drop in the ocean for you.

I actually appreciate very much that my partner is concerned over these price differences - it gives us more money to spend on beer, which BTW is also more expensive than Phuket by a few baht.

Simon

Edited by simon43

im not convinced obviously if you are shopping in the tourist areas of krabi (ao nang) which i believe is on par with phuket for prices but krabi town is cheap cheap as for beer well i can buy crates off beer cheaper in england than thailand.

Hi Taninthai, this is shopping in local markets and local shops for Thais. I don't do 'farang' foods anymore :) So the price difference is mainly affecting Thais, not tourists or expats. The price difference is not crippling of course, but once you know that there is a difference, then it is irksome.

But the price of goods is not the primary reason at all for moving back to Phuket.

- My partner attends university in Phuket

- (boring reason), I am a radio amateur and it is a bonus to be located on an island (many other 'hams' jump at the chance to contact island-based hams, just one of those things...)

Simon

mmm well it depends on what you buy and what area you are in no doubt some things are cheaper in phuket and other things are cheaper in krabi me and the misses use makro alot and i do notice there prices go up and down every week i just do not think the cost off living in krabi is more expensive than phuket i went phuket last week had to pay 50 bht to park car by small beach then had to pay to sit on sunlounger on the beach you do not have these charges in krabi (well i just sit on sand so do not pay) but these are all extra living costs.

i thought it was pretty common knowledge phuket is 1 off the more expensive parts off thailand................

Edited by taninthai

i thought it was pretty common knowledge phuket is 1 off the more expensive parts off thailand................

Yes, that is common knowledge, and having lived in Phuket for the past 4 years, I can say that it certainly is more expensive than living in Pattaya for example.

And that common knowledge about Phuket makes it all the more surprising to find prices in Krabi are higher for many items!

I rarely venture down to Patong/Kata.Rawaii etc etc. So I are not really exposed to the 'farang' prices of Phuket. Certainly, I have never paid to park my car by the beach. I don't really have time to sit on the beach :)

My partner has asked local Thais in Krabi about the prices, and they that prices in Krabi are higher than Phuket because the local government 'does not look after the prices' (whatever that means!)

Anyway, it's not something to get too concerned about. I'm certainly happy to move back to Phuket to catch up with old friends

Simon

not concerned just think your comments are ridiculous you dont have time to sit on beach but have time to make lists off prices and compare them in 3 different shops hundreds off kilometers apart i do not think half the local thais from krabi have even been to phuket let alone know anything about different prices we could start a whole topic on this double pricing in different areas sure beats the usual farang /thai double pricing,i think we will just agree to disagree.

p.s. wow never known this forum to be so lively.....................

Simon, I appreciate your insight and apologize for dragging you back into this contentious issue. When we get down to the area, I hope to be included in your circle of amigos, Action Jackson

P.S. if the food is too expensive I may not eat as much and may be able to fit into my tiny Betty Boop leathers finally. No photos please!

Edited by bunta71

Hi Bunta71, as I have been emphasizing in this thread, SOME everyday items are more expensive than the equivalent in Phuket, not ALL items - and this fact surprises both me and my partner.

Taninthai - the locals that we have spoken with in Krabi are stating their own views about local prices, and are not comparing prices to those in Phuket. I am comparing them! Since I travel to Phuket every week (looking for a property to rent), and since I previously lived in Phuket for 4 years, I recognise that there is a price difference. Perhaps if it worries you so much, you can do some research to prove my comments incorrect.

I have no time to sit on a beach - I'm working here, not retired or on holiday. But I do have to go shopping each week.

Bunta71 opened this thread after a conversation with me about the pros and cons of Krabi. Apart from the high humidity levels, I said that I was very happy about living in Krabi. But my own circumstances meant that I needed to relocate.

Simon

Well, I need to save up some money before I consider opening another hotel! I can't say that Krabi Airport Hotel would be on my plans, although I have toyed with ideas about opening some type of resort in the Krabi area.

To be honest, I am working flat out on software projects, and now isn't the best time to open a new hotel

The hotel in Phuket seems to have gone downhill since I left, judging by the customer reviews that I've read. Can't say I'm surprised :)

Simon

Well, I need to save up some money before I consider opening another hotel! I can't say that Krabi Airport Hotel would be on my plans, although I have toyed with ideas about opening some type of resort in the Krabi area.

To be honest, I am working flat out on software projects, and now isn't the best time to open a new hotel

The hotel in Phuket seems to have gone downhill since I left, judging by the customer reviews that I've read. Can't say I'm surprised :)

Simon

I think between Ao Nang and Khlong Muang a Health, Sport & Spa resort would fly.

Tennis, beach volleyball, croquet, an indoor facility (for when it's raining), saunas and pools. A large buffet for breakfast and lunch (including a wine buffet), changing into a restaurant in the evening.

Activity Director (I'll nominate myself) to set up tennis, volleyball games, shuttles to the beach and local attractions.

You buy I'll fly ;-)

• 6 months later...

hi Simon, i don't know why people are giving you such a hard time here. you are obviously very knowledgeable about Krabi and North Phuket and are kind enough to share those experiences with us.

i would have automatically assumed Krabi would be cheaper than Phuket given it's mainland and less touristy so its an interesting data point to know about prices and i will definitely check out the cost of living for the stuff we usually buy next time i go to Krabi.

i'm thinking about buying land and building a house in the Nai Yang beach area of Phuket (just south of the airport) but have seen some interesting looking places on the internet in Krabi. I don't know Krabi very well having only visited Ao Nang area a few times so i need to find out a lot more about the area before deciding which one. you made an interesting comment:

Apart from the high humidity levels, I said that I was very happy about living in Krabi.

i worry about the weather a lot. i like cooler and wetter climates and can't stand the hot dry weather we get here in Hua hin, that's why i want to move back down south. but how would you compare North Phuket to Krabi for overall climate comfort? i like a lot of rain so that's not a problem for me but don't want to live in a suana.

thanks, steve

Hi Steve - right now I am back at my airport hotel in Phuket for most of the week, swapping over for a few days with my partner in Ao Nang. So we are travelling weekly between these two locations. With the airport expansion, my business is very busy.

Ao Nang is definitely much more humid than north Phuket. This seems to be because rain clouds from the west can travel over north Phuket (no high hills), but then hit the Krabi hills and cannot pass over them - this releasing their rain in that area. So it certainly rains more in Ao Nang than north Phuket.

I do prefer Phuket, due to the presence of international hospitals, shops etc on the island - plus the plus points for my radio amateur hobby.. Nai Yang is getting busier, but is still a peaceful and safe place when compared to the Patong/Rawaii areas.

Simon

Dont forget that as you are comparing many items bought at the markets, this would include veg/fruit that are seasonal so prices fluctuate depending on the crop......also some crops are regional, so what is grown in one province will obviously cost more elsewhere due to transport costs.