Rental Housing In Chiang Rai

jackcrawford

residents of chiang rai, your opinions sought please, and appreciated (you may private message me your responses if you prefer):

1. Quantity: do you feel there is enough, or a lack of, rental housing in chiang rai?

2. Quality: do you feel that the rental housing available is of good quality, good style, and well thought out in design and construction?

3. Value: There seems to be all range of prices for rental houses in the area: everything from 2,000 baht per month to 40,000 baht. would you be willing to pay between 12,000 and 15,000 baht for a stylish, new, well-designed house close to the city?

4. Location: what is your ideal distance from town if you are living in rental housing: right in the city? less than 7 km from city? less than 15 km from city? or do you prefer further out?

5. Do you prefer the house to be isolated and very private? or with a few similar houses in fairly close proximity? or prefer the more closely packed developments?

6. If the house were located on a scenic pond would that matter to you?

7. Size: what is your ideal house rental size: 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, 3 bedroom?

8. Swimmimg pool: is this a feature you'd be very interested to have or not so much. Would you be willing to pay more for this feature?

thank you kindly for your time.

Probably a lot safer than trying to catch Hannibal Lecter.

Jack

Seriously, I don't mind if he runs a bit of a survey.

I don't personally know a lot about the rental situation in the 'Rai but if someone wants to take the time to reply it's not going to bother me.

I'll have a 4 b/r house with swimming pool right in the centre of town and all mod cons for 6,000 baht per month, the going rate in Chiang Rai.

Sorry, you better try somewhere else, maybe Nan, lots of our folk like going there.

I'm sure you will be happy there.

I have a nice 3 bedroom bungalow with 2 air-cons, 2 bath rooms, furnished for 7000bht a month near ChiangMai

If you can do me a substantially better deal, I might be interested, but CR is a bit out in the wilds.

At 12kbht+ it would need to be a palace!

Not to mention foreigners are leaving Thailand in droves, exchange rate bad ......... prospects for future rentals seem bad, many empty properties, prices are getting cut throat.

Edited by sarahsbloke

I don't mind if he is trying to sell something, as long as he keeps it as abstract and remote as his initial post.

Truth is, I am getting pretty fed up with living in Chiang Mai. Getting way too busy and noisy for me.

I have thought about and have threatened to move to Chiang Rai for years.

I altogether love the feel of the place; every visit I say to myself....this could be "it".

It has the same pollution/smoke and hot weather problem as CM....but it is just like CM 10 or 15 years ago in terms of development.

I live in probably the best district in CM (by CMU, far west end, almost at the base of Doi Suthep) in an apartment with a spectacular view of the mountain, and to the north toward Mae Rim. I live in the city (10 min. away) but I don't see the city, at all.

If members want to respond, and post their observations on the rental market in Chiang Rai, I will be interested to read the responses.

But don't worry...there are very few Chiang Mai locals that feel as I do. They love the place, and most have zero interest in moving. Wife, kids, businesses, etc.....

My opinions, based on what I see and hear. I haven‘t been here all that long.

1. Quantity: There is a surplus at this time. A BIG surplus. Most open rentals aren’t even advertised except by word of mouth or an easy-to-miss paper sign stuck on the wall of some café or on a post near the street.

2. Quality: From what little I have seen, the homes available are, for the most part, of inferior quality. While some of the styles may be okay, most of the homes for rent seem to be thought out from the view of saving baht. That of course is the way of this society. Those homes were not built for rentals. They were built for budget conscious families and later, became rentals, sometimes with some small concessions made for Farang clients. Overall, not up to snuff for Farang but maybe surpassing the expectations of some of the locals. Even with the remodeling, silly mistakes in planning are evident and what one house gains in the way of a nice add-on kitchen is lost when the new addition isn’t sealed up against rodents.

3. Value: I rented initially when I came here to stay. I would not have even considered the higher prices you mention, no matter what amenities were offered. I don’t know any person here that would consider a place with those prices.

4. Location: I lived in the country, initially, six km’s out. That was too far for the wife. The outer edge of town would be perfect for us, which is pretty much where we are now. Convenience trumps a view, in our book. However, any place that has a karaoke bar within earshot is out. So, even if you build in the country, it is important to make sure that some bamboo bar isn’t going to be constructed within a half km in the near future. And if one is built close by, and it shows any indication of success what-so-ever, several more will pop up within a few weeks. The owner of the rentals where I stayed initially has lost plenty of customers because of the late-night partying nearby. Make sure you have the right people on your side if you build. You might need their help later on to keep the pop-up bars at bay. The place where I rented before has ten houses on 16 rai. It was isolated and quiet when the guy first started building. It is still isolated, out in the country, but there are two bars within 100 meters of the place now.

5. Isolated or not: Neighbors are good but not closely packed. 100 meters or more is a good distance. Too few neighbors, as in totally alone, invites crime.

6. Pond- Ponds are okay but the negatives about equal the positives. More snakes, bugs, etc.

7. Size: 3 bedroom

8. Swimmimg pool: Nah.

thanks mcgrif, sarahsbloke and kandahar for the intelligent responses... and i don't mind the cynical and sarcastic ones- though i'm surprised they exist here- i lost that side of me when i moved to thailand ;-)

in the interest of transparency, i'm not trying to sell anything, just a little non-committal market research for a pipe-dream idea that may never happen... (and if it did- well don't we all say there is a lack of forethought in endeavors here???)

two friends had a tough time finding houses to rent in chiang rai in the last 3 years is one reason i ask. now i don't doubt there are some 3-5000 baht houses that are available. but what both my mates we're looking for was a notch up in terms of the building being in good shape, well-designed, and having some of the other benefits i asked about.

from what i see there are a few classes of offerings, the lower end 3-5k places that have been around for a while, probably aren't built with a foriegner's lifestyle in mind, and the higher end stuff you see on some of the property websites which can hover close to 20k month. i always thought that if iwere looking for a place in chiang rai, it'd be nice to have something in between, ie: a well designed place for a mid range price.

if anyone thinks i have the market segments wrong- please do speak up- thats why i started this post.

thanks again,

jack

thanks mcgrif, sarahsbloke and kandahar for the intelligent responses... and i don't mind the cynical and sarcastic ones- though i'm surprised they exist here- i lost that side of me when i moved to thailand ;-)

in the interest of transparency, i'm not trying to sell anything, just a little non-committal market research for a pipe-dream idea that may never happen... (and if it did- well don't we all say there is a lack of forethought in endeavors here???)

two friends had a tough time finding houses to rent in chiang rai in the last 3 years is one reason i ask. now i don't doubt there are some 3-5000 baht houses that are available. but what both my mates we're looking for was a notch up in terms of the building being in good shape, well-designed, and having some of the other benefits i asked about.

from what i see there are a few classes of offerings, the lower end 3-5k places that have been around for a while, probably aren't built with a foriegner's lifestyle in mind, and the higher end stuff you see on some of the property websites which can hover close to 20k month. i always thought that if iwere looking for a place in chiang rai, it'd be nice to have something in between, ie: a well designed place for a mid range price.

if anyone thinks i have the market segments wrong- please do speak up- thats why i started this post.

thanks again,

jack

Jack

Sorry for the cynical and sarcasticn remark.

Go ahead and let us know if you ever get the relevant information.

:)

I have to say there are plenty of Farang built houses for rent all over the area.

Ferang dies, moves out, gf/wife hangs sign out 'for rent' on the gate.

Cruise the soys and there are plenty to find.

Some are really nice (I am living in such a property near CM)

1. Quantity: do you feel there is enough, or a lack of, rental housing in chiang rai?

Yes I do feel there is a lack of quality rental housing in CR.

2. Quality: do you feel that the rental housing available is of good quality, good style, and well thought out in design and construction?

We've been looking for houses, 1-3 bedrooms, and so far we haven't really seen any that we're truly happy with. The best so far are the ones at Chiang Rai Country Homes, but the way the living spaces are designed just doesn't flow. And quality of construction is of course a far cry from what we're used to.

3. Value: There seems to be all range of prices for rental houses in the area: everything from 2,000 baht per month to 40,000 baht. would you be willing to pay between 12,000 and 15,000 baht for a stylish, new, well-designed house close to the city?

Would we pay 12-15k? Probably not. Wages are lower in CR. For that kind of rent, I'd be very tempted to build instead...

4. Location: what is your ideal distance from town if you are living in rental housing: right in the city? less than 7 km from city? less than 15 km from city? or do you prefer further out?

Maybe no more than 10km from the city? In CR, 10km could take you quite nicely into nature. If more than 10km, it should be quite special..

5. Do you prefer the house to be isolated and very private? or with a few similar houses in fairly close proximity? or prefer the more closely packed developments?

Don't like packed developments. We came out to CR to escape that! Similar properties in close proximity - well if it's at least 40-50m from the next house?

6. If the house were located on a scenic pond would that matter to you?

Yes it matters, but it's not a priority.

7. Size: what is your ideal house rental size: 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, 3 bedroom?

Currently we are two with a baby, so 1-2 bedrooms. 3 bedrooms is good as well if the price is right?

8. Swimmimg pool: is this a feature you'd be very interested to have or not so much. Would you be willing to pay more for this feature?

Depends on how much more.

Hope this helps.

Edited by skygazing

I don't mind if he is trying to sell something, as long as he keeps it as abstract and remote as his initial post.

Truth is, I am getting pretty fed up with living in Chiang Mai. Getting way too busy and noisy for me.

I have thought about and have threatened to move to Chiang Rai for years.

I altogether love the feel of the place; every visit I say to myself....this could be "it".

It has the same pollution/smoke and hot weather problem as CM....but it is just like CM 10 or 15 years ago in terms of development.

I live in probably the best district in CM (by CMU, far west end, almost at the base of Doi Suthep) in an apartment with a spectacular view of the mountain, and to the north toward Mae Rim. I live in the city (10 min. away) but I don't see the city, at all.

If members want to respond, and post their observations on the rental market in Chiang Rai, I will be interested to read the responses.

But don't worry...there are very few Chiang Mai locals that feel as I do. They love the place, and most have zero interest in moving. Wife, kids, businesses, etc.....

but it is just like CM 10 or 15 years ago in terms of development.

Not in the least bit like CM 10-15 years ago... More like 30-40 years ago :)

Not in the least bit like CM 10-15 years ago... More like 30-40 years ago :)

You have been around here that long time! Good to have you here in the forum so we can ask questions how it was that long ago!

When did the first train arrive in CM?

And what was the name of the Hotel to stay in CM at that time?

I am very interested to know about Thai history and here in CR we have dr Limbo that gives info about the old CR.

And now we have dr LJW to give info about CM!

:D:D:D

Sounds like someone is trying to sell something or figure out a way to make a living here in the Rai. :D

Or get someone to visit a website? :)

Silly me. There I was running around looking for the OP's website, when it finally dawned on me. Guess I'm a little slow today, after a weather induced, sleepless night. :D

What is the difference between a farang house and a Thai house?

kitchens mainly. I've seen a few high priced Thai made houses in up-scale developments, which have some nice touches (parquet floors, ornate porches, etc) but essentially no kitchens, except for a cement slab for a table in a back room with no windows. Also, Thais sometimes have giant hallways which serve no apparent purpose other than taking sq.footage away from other rooms. Thai bathrooms are usually minimum sized. Also, Thai houses usually have less bug screens, exposed plumbing and wires, no ground on the electric, and I've never seen a Thai built house with thru-the-roof venting for plumbing drains. And I've never seen a woodstove or a properly made fireplace (though I've seen a few fireplaces which were for show only). ....and it gets a bit cold here each December and January.

If anyone knows where I can purchase a metal woodstove, or can assist me in constructing one out of a metal barrel, let me know, thanks. Am planning to build a sauna heated by firewood.

Welcome back Brahms, I,ve missed you.

Yeah Welcome back Brahms, I've missed Chang35baht :)

I've often thought about having a fireplace myself, should be pretty easy to construct. I do have a woodburner made of sheet metal (Stainless) but It gets too hot because its too thin. It would take your skin off if you accidentaly touched it. Wouldn't want to be sat in a small Sauna with it for sure. I suspect you've already seen a few sauna's here but I've only seen one that interested me. It was at the Ahkka Hill House guesthouse/resort. A bit off the beaten path for sure, but well worth a look

• 1 month later...