Mae Hong Son - Chiang Mai Tunnel Proposed

george

Mae Hong Son-Chiang Mai tunnel proposed

MAE HONG SON: -- The journey from Mae Hong Son to Chiang Mai in the North of Thailand is along windy mountain roads, but now local businesses want to cut through this problem by building a tunnel linking the two provincial capitals.

Mr. Phoonsak Suntharapanichakul, President of the Mae Hong Son Chamber of Commerce, said that the tunnel would become cost-effective, given the continuously rising price of fuel.

Under the proposals, the government would provide financial support for the construction of a tunnel, which would slash the journey time between the two provinces.

The tunnel would pass through the Thanon Thongchai mountain range, and would pass by tambon Huay Pu Ling and into tambon Wat Chan in Chiang Mai.

--TNA 2005-06-15

Mae Hong Son-Chiang Mai tunnel proposed 

MAE HONG SON: -- The journey from Mae Hong Son to Chiang Mai in the North of Thailand is along windy mountain roads, but now local businesses want to cut through this problem by building a tunnel linking the two provincial capitals.

Mr. Phoonsak Suntharapanichakul, President of the Mae Hong Son Chamber of Commerce, said that the tunnel would become cost-effective, given the continuously rising price of fuel.

Under the proposals, the government would provide financial support for the construction of a tunnel, which would slash the journey time between the two provinces.

The tunnel would pass through the Thanon Thongchai mountain range, and would pass by tambon Huay Pu Ling and into tambon Wat Chan in Chiang Mai.

--TNA 2005-06-15

:o Got to be a joke right? The way it's written makes it sound like it's one big tunnel they're thinking of which would be 100kms plus as the crow flies.

I've ridden there and back on a motorbike. It's the windingest road I've ever been on, including in Chihuahua near Copper Canyon. Can't imagine how long the tunnel would be, or how many tunnels. We're talking in the billions of dollars, trillions of baht, right?

It's that very remoteness that preserves Mae Hong Son as a remote place. As Don Henley wrote, "If you call that place Paradise, you'd better kiss that place good-by." Joni Mitchell wrote, "They've paved paradise and put up a parking lot." Axl Rose sang, "Welcome to the jungle, paradise city."

Well if they can't finish the underpasses on the various superhighway junctions around the city. I don't fancy their chances on a 100km tunnel!

Not to mention the continual increase in cost of construction materials - or did they forget to work that one into the equation.

Some people obviously need a reality check!

This tunnel has the capability to supply a continuous supply of grease to alot of politicians in the north for a long long time.

Agreed that the only reason they'd build this tunnel / road would be to make money / line their pockets.

They've talked about this road as short cut from Cnx to MHS for many years, but having ridden it again a few weeks ago it is not really any shorter. My calculation was that it's about 15 kms less than route 1095, (the Cnx- Mae Malai - Pai - Soppong – MHS road.) Consider that the Wat Chan - Huai Pu Ling - MHS routed is more rugged than the Pai - Soppong - MHS route then there is no way it can ever be any shorter travel time wise.

Now some smart businessmen have a dream (scam) to build a tunnel & shorten the distance. I reckon that if they'd spend just a third of the cost of the tunnel & new road on improving route 1095 then we'd end up with a first class motorway to MHS & a travel time of just 3 1/2 hrs from Cnx to MHS. And you could not beat that going Cnx - Samoeng - Wat Chan - HPL - MHS.

I first did the MHS – HPL – Wat Chan road over 10 years ago, & after doing it again just a few weeks ago it has not changed a lot.

The only development is at the west MHS end with some concrete / asphalt getting to HPL. Then after HPL to Huai Tong / Wat Chan it is the same old unused rutted forestry track. This area is one of the last “pristine” forests left in North Thailand. It is an incredibly beautiful area with excellent forest cover, extremely traditional villages & NO cars.

Why they need any sort of highway through here defies any sort of rational logic! Except perhaps for some government officials & businessmen to make money & line their pockets.

What's laughable to me is that just a few weeks ago the governor of MHS was claiming that one of the main attraction of MHS for tourists was the natural scenery of the area & the winding roads getting there. But now it’s a good idea to spend billions of baht on tourists avoiding this. So what’s the logic then?

If you want to see some pix take a look at

http://board.gt-rider.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=748

Unsurprisingly enough the people who's pockets get greased know absolutely nothing about tourism. In a place like Chiang Mai which largely depends on tourism, it is frightening to hear how little they grasp reality.

Brilliant idea for a geologically active region. The grease would continue for ever. Quick shake, whoops, we must start again.

Makes you wonder, especially considering the trouble they are having with the tunnels between Italy and France/Swizerland.

They could call it the 'Tunnel of Love' as a tribute to Bruce Springsteen and Boy George at the same time. With plush covered walls, light elevator music and heartshaped, pink lights, it could become a tourist attraction in its own right.

Meadish, I think TAT has a position open with your name written all over it!!!!

Update:

Mae Hong Son wants tunnel to Chiang Mai

MAE HONG SON: -- The Mae Hong Son Chamber of Commerce has urged the government to approve the construction of a tunnel road through the mountains to link the northern city with Chiang Mai.

While acknowledging that such a tunnel road would cost about Bt1 billion, Poonsak Sunthornpanichkij, the chamber’s president, said the new transport route was needed to ease the burden of isolation on the Mae Hong Son community.

Reports from the northern city say consumers must pay higher prices for fresh goods and businesses are suffering from the upsurge in fuel prices.

Mae Hong Son’s geographical position means the cost of most goods is higher than in other parts of the country because of high transport costs.

The province is unable to produce many crops and most products sold in markets are trucked in. The problem has been exacerbated by high fuel prices and the low tourist season.

Also, airfares from Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son have recently increased, forcing travellers to consider a five to six hour road journey instead.

Poonsak said Mae Hong Son urgently needs the government to either adopt the tunnel road proposal or upgrade existing highways.

He said the best option would be the tunnel road from Samoeng district, northwest of Chiang Mai, to Muang district, Mae Hong Son. It would offer the shortest transportation route.

A tunnel road would reduce the prices of goods, assist the local tourism industry in the long term and give a boost to cross-border trade, he said.

--The Nation 2005-06-21

I like Mae Hong Son, and will probably take 'the long and winding road' to get there next month. But when you choose to live at Land's End, you know where you are. It's not a prison farm. I used to tell people in Brownsville, Texas or on the Mexican-Guatemala border, "You can always move to the big city in the interior of the country."

One billion baht - before you know it, you're talking about a lot of money. Three billion baht is probably closer to the truth. Why should the national treasury pay out almost fifty baht for every person in Thailand, to build a third road to remotest Thailand?

After they pave paradise, they'll put up a parking lot.

It could be a carefully coordinated ploy to make a Chiang Mai mass transit rail project seem logical in comparison. :o

Other than that, this April's fools joke is a bit late.

How about a monorail to Om Koi? Or a panama canal to Doi Tao? And an international airport in Li District, Lamphun? Really the opportunities are endless.

Cheers,

Chanchao

It could be a carefully coordinated ploy to make a Chiang Mai mass transit rail project seem logical in comparison. :D

Other than that, this April's fools joke is a bit late.

How about a monorail to Om Koi?  Or a panama canal to Doi Tao? And an international airport in Li District, Lamphun?  Really the opportunities are endless.

Cheers,

Chanchao

A magic waterslide from the top of Doi Pui to San Kamphaeng is what I have always suggested, but the third time I showed up with my blueprints at Sala Klang they gave me 500 baht to go buy myself some tea and not show up again. :o

• 9 months later...

Can you believe this? Yep, there is too much money involved:

http://etna.mcot.net/query.php?nid=8017

Mae Hong Son chamber worries over delays in infrastructure projects

MAE HONG SON, April 8 (TNA) - Infrastructure projects worth several billions of baht, approved by the outgoing government of caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, may now be delayed, said the chief of the Chamber of Commerce of this northern resort province.

Poolsak Sunthornpanichkij said on Saturday that he was concerned that several projects, especially a plan to construct a tunnel and a road linking between Mae Hong Son with Sa Merng District of nearby Chiang Mai Province, which would cost about Bt1billion (US$250 million), would be delayed now that Mr. Thaksin had announced that he would not take up the prime minister post after the April 2 general election.

Mr. Poolsak said as a new and capable prime minister has to be appointed, anti-Thaksin groups led by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) should now stop rallying activities so that the country's economy could move forward.

Several government-run projects may have to be stalled for the time being, he said, adding that he was confident that the government would eventually be able to solve the problems, especially on investment and tourism.

Huhu, I'm very sceptic of the feasability of such a tunnel in Thailand. :o

In Switzerland the longest rail tunnel of the world (Saint-Gothard) has needed 10 years of studies and the construction will during 15 years. So if this is a brand new idea of the non less brilliant thai politicians the tunnel should be achieved in.....2030-2035 ? Without considering the astronomic cost.

The very well detailed official link of the project: http://www.neat.ch/pages/e/index.php

and this one in french but with an interesting pictures gallery: http://www.linternaute.com/savoir/diaporam...othard/17.shtml

A magic waterslide from the top of Doi Pui to San Kamphaeng is what I have always suggested, but the third time I showed up with my blueprints at Sala Klang they gave me 500 baht to go buy myself some tea and not show up again. :o

I am not sure about a suspended skyward water slide out towards Sankhampeng. But perhaps a scenic eco-tourist water slide or two from say about Phuping Palace winding down the mountainside ending in a 10 meter splash down drop into Huay Tung Tao resevoir in front of the admiring hordes of lao khao enhanced picnicers has real possibilities. We could even incorporate a new Mong village to pass through along the way and station and elephant here and there.

This excerpt from post #21, above:

"Mr. Poolsak said as a new and capable prime minister has to be appointed,..."

That would also be around year 2035.........

But then, being from Texas, I'm convinced that CAPABILITY has nothing to do with qualifications for your chief executive.

Hmmm, I wasted my 2000th post on that gem above.....my judgment's slipping. :o