Airport Rail Link (again Sorry)

Some advice if you will...

I have two friends arriving on Tuesday morning at Suvarnabhumi, at 7am. I'm going to get the train out there (reckon if I get the first train I should be there well before they get through customs etc). However, coming back, do you think it'll be worth us getting the train or just jumping in a taxi? I don't know what the traffic is like out that way in the morning, hence my dilemma! I live right next to Ari bts so the train would be handy, although three people, with luggage, might be a problem at Phayathai and then again on the bts. Any thoughts? Cheers.

At Phaya Thai you will have to carry all your luggage down three long levels of stairs then walk over to the BTS (~ 500 m to the left where there is an UP escalator), then make your way through the larger turnstiles, up the escalator to the platform and them try to squeeze onto the BTS with your luggage. At Ari you'll have to carry the bags down two levels of stairs to the street. Excellent exercise after a long flight, although you might be sweating pretty heavily.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some advice if you will...

I have two friends arriving on Tuesday morning at Suvarnabhumi, at 7am. I'm going to get the train out there (reckon if I get the first train I should be there well before they get through customs etc). However, coming back, do you think it'll be worth us getting the train or just jumping in a taxi? I don't know what the traffic is like out that way in the morning, hence my dilemma! I live right next to Ari bts so the train would be handy, although three people, with luggage, might be a problem at Phayathai and then again on the bts. Any thoughts? Cheers.

At Phaya Thai you will have to carry all your luggage down three long levels of stairs then walk over to the BTS (~ 500 m to the left where there is an UP escalator), then make your way through the larger turnstiles, up the escalator to the platform and them try to squeeze onto the BTS with your luggage. At Ari you'll have to carry the bags down two levels of stairs to the street. Excellent exercise after a long flight, although you might be sweating pretty heavily.

The Airport Link station at Phayathai has a lift immediately beneath the arrivals platform, taking you to ground level.

I disagree with the 500 meter, more like 200 meters.

Frm-Bkk

Hey, just thought I'd say hiw it went in case it helps anyone else.

Got the first train at 7am from Phayathai, it made a few stops and we arrived at Suvarnabhumi at 7:21. Easy. Collected friends, were back on the train at 8:20. TRain dead easy back, managed to miss the lift so carried the bags down the three flights of stairs. I agree with above poster- it's really not far then to the BTS, probably 200m is more accurate. BTS was a little difficult with big rucksacks at that time in the morning, and I'm not sure if we'd have coped going into town (those trains far busier and no space available). Not so bad going northbound to Ari though. All in, door-airport-door took slightly under 2 hours, and cost me 25baht. Amazing!

I just got to my hotel at 9am having arrived at BKK around 6. The airport train was ok. Made a few stops. But once at Phayatai the fun ended. The BTS trains were packed solid, which meant going north to Mor Chit then changing platform to go out to Prakanong. Cost was 40 baht in total, but next time I'll take a taxi, even if it costs 400.

I just got to my hotel at 9am having arrived at BKK around 6. The airport train was ok. Made a few stops. But once at Phayatai the fun ended. The BTS trains were packed solid, which meant going north to Mor Chit then changing platform to go out to Prakanong. Cost was 40 baht in total, but next time I'll take a taxi, even if it costs 400.

Sorry, can't quite follow the route you took.

Prakanong = Suk 71 - right? So from the airport you went all the way to Phaya Thai, then north to Mor Chit - just to go like half way back towards the airport?

What am I missing?

Prakanong = Suk 71 - right? So from the airport you went all the way to Phaya Thai, then north to Mor Chit - just to go like half way back towards the airport?

What am I missing?

At Phaya Thai the train bound for On Nut was full so he had to go down/up to the other platform where a train bound for Mo Chit was relatively empty, then at Mo Chit crossed back to get on a train bound for On Nut, which at the terminus had some room. I agree it was a round-about journey.

Again, the BTS and MRT are not really designed for airline passengers toting more than a briefcase. On the SARL they'll have to limit bags on the City Line trains as there will be no room for commuters at the local stations.

Take a ride on the Airport Link!

By the way, there's some incorrect information posted above. The ramp between the City Line station at Phaya Thai and the BTS station is now clearly under construction. I don't think there's any problem about having it finished by August. Then you'll be able to walk right into the concourse of the City Line from the Skytrain turnstyle level.

What am I missing?

At Phaya Thai the train bound for On Nut was full so he had to go down/up to the other platform where a train bound for Mo Chit was relatively empty, then at Mo Chit crossed back to get on a train bound for On Nut, which at the terminus had some room. I agree it was a round-about journey.

Again, the BTS and MRT are not really designed for airline passengers toting more than a briefcase. On the SARL they'll have to limit bags on the City Line trains as there will be no room for commuters at the local stations.

You got it.. Trains going the right way from Phayathai were packed solid. I let 3 go as there was no way on, even with my small case. At Mor Chit, there was a constant flow of people onto the platform. So by the time each train arrived, the platform was full. I went to Phayathai so I could get the BTS and not have to mess around with connections and get to see the city as I've not been for more than a year. Next time, I'll get a taxi from Ramkhamhaeng.. And hopefully the BTS will buy some new rolling stock as the 3 car trains are just too short or the number of people travelling.

By the way, there's some incorrect information posted above. The ramp between the City Line station at Phaya Thai and the BTS station is now clearly under construction. I don't think there's any problem about having it finished by August. Then you'll be able to walk right into the concourse of the City Line from the Skytrain turnstyle level.

As of today I could not see any construction work on this connecting ramp.

BTW, check out the SARL viaduct spur at Phaya Thai, so on the west side of the BTS station. One of the largest bees nest I've seen is hanging off the viaduct.

The ramp between the City Line station at Phaya Thai and the BTS station is now clearly under construction

From what I've heard (someone working at Siemens said it), it seems they can't decide who's going to pay for that gap separating the two transportation systems...

Nobody wants to pay the 1.5 metres of concrete...

I'll build my own wooden bridge and I'll sit on a chair asking 2 baht per person, might get rich ^^

Is the first Train from PhayaThai 7am or 6am .. the newspaper today wrote 6.am..

I'm dying to know the answer to this one too. Actually, on the leaflet, they say 7.00 but I hope they plan to put it at 6.00 like the MRT and BTS cauz' I got to sign in at 7.30 at my workplace (and it's near Radklabang train station)...

Anybody better informed on this ?

In summary from official SRT site

FREE Trial since June 1.

Monday to Friday (only) between 7-10am and 4-7pm for every 20 mins run during these times.

They are not stopping all station at the moment and will be stopping 2 more staions in July.

In service

Phaya Thai (Yes)

Ratchaprarop (July)

Makkasan (No)

Ramkhamhaeng (Yes)

Hua Mak (Yes)

Ban Thap Chang (July)

Lat Krabang (Yes)

Suvarnabhumi (Yes)

route-map.jpg

Enjoy your ride

The ramp between the City Line station at Phaya Thai and the BTS station is now clearly under construction

From what I've heard (someone working at Siemens said it), it seems they can't decide who's going to pay for that gap separating the two transportation systems...

Nobody wants to pay the 1.5 metres of concrete...

I'll build my own wooden bridge and I'll sit on a chair asking 2 baht per person, might get rich ^^

Is the first Train from PhayaThai 7am or 6am .. the newspaper today wrote 6.am..

I'm dying to know the answer to this one too. Actually, on the leaflet, they say 7.00 but I hope they plan to put it at 6.00 like the MRT and BTS cauz' I got to sign in at 7.30 at my workplace (and it's near Radklabang train station)...

Anybody better informed on this ?

AS far asI can gather, although only from reading newspapers, visiting the station and listening to radio etc, then it's opening at 7 at the moment, but after the full trial it'll be 6. Hope so anyway!

In summary from official SRT site

FREE Trial since June 1.

Monday to Friday (only) between 7-10am and 4-7pm for every 20 mins run during these times.

They are not stopping all station at the moment and will be stopping 2 more staions in July.

In service

Phaya Thai (Yes)

Ratchaprarop (July)

Makkasan (No)

Ramkhamhaeng (Yes)

Hua Mak (Yes)

Ban Thap Chang (July)

Lat Krabang (Yes)

Suvarnabhumi (Yes)

route-map.jpg

Enjoy your ride

As of today the train is now stopping at Ban Thap Chang and Ratchaprarop. Come on Makkasan!!!!

As per a previous poster, there is no one working on the construction of the walkway to the Phaya Thai BTS.

Very impressed with the service and I now use it 3 or 4 times a week. Hope Makkasan opens soon being that I go to Asoke!

Ok all looks super,but for me nd missus going to mid Suhkumvit its 300TB on the airport link and another 60-90 in a taxi to our condo from Makkasan plus time in traffic,so getting in a taxi at the apt nd getting out again at condo entrance with all our bags nd not feeling sweaty or tired is definately worth it and I suggest to you all not any more expensive than taking apt express line........... :whistling::rolleyes:

What am I missing?

You got it.. Trains going the right way from Phayathai were packed solid. I let 3 go as there was no way on, even with my small case. At Mor Chit, there was a constant flow of people onto the platform. So by the time each train arrived, the platform was full. I went to Phayathai so I could get the BTS and not have to mess around with connections and get to see the city as I've not been for more than a year. Next time, I'll get a taxi from Ramkhamhaeng.. And hopefully the BTS will buy some new rolling stock as the 3 car trains are just too short or the number of people travelling.

Getting off at Ramkhamhaeng and catching a taxi would have been much quicker and easier giving you time to do the sight seeing later. As you say next time......

On the new rolling stock , BTS has purchased 12 sets of 4 car trains (http://www.bts.co.th/en/news/newTrain.pdf) from chinese trainmaker CNR and most have now been delivered (they were originally meant ot enter into service at the start of 2009 but hey 18 months late is not so bad).

However, they need to be tested (some expect realiability may be a prob) and will only be used on the Silom line.

It seems that we might have a surprise with the Queen's birthday next month and that perhaps some changes will occur with the airport link....

This is very cryptic?! Not sure what surprise you mean? Commencing full services is hardly going to be a surprise. If they could commence full service along with the CAT check-in service now that would be a surprise.

Umm, everyone expected the ARL to commence full services on 12 Aug as is the usual practice (esp since they announced 12/08/09 and then 05/12/09 and previous opening dates but missed those) but the SRT and MOT have announced 23 Aug.

Ok all looks super,but for me nd missus going to mid Suhkumvit its 300TB on the airport link and another 60-90 in a taxi to our condo from Makkasan plus time in traffic,so getting in a taxi at the apt nd getting out again at condo entrance with all our bags nd not feeling sweaty or tired is definately worth it and I suggest to you all not any more expensive than taking apt express line........... :whistling::rolleyes:

I agree with you and this has been one of the issues for the SRT and operator. The Airport Link and Makkasan (CAT) is just not going to attract most people heading to/from the airport until there are a few other mass transit lines around BKK and that is 5 years away. (The Makkasan rail land is going to be developed with many office and residential buildings but that is a decade away - 1 plan 5 years ago had 4 100 plus storey buildings being built!!).

For most travellers it is not going to be more cost effective and will only really save time when traffic is really bad to/from the airport (morning/afternoon peak or when it rains heavily). Especially if one is travelling with heavy luggage. If you reside or are staying adjacent to an MRT station or BTS station then it may be a convenient service.

For workers at the airport area they already have cheaper bus and van options which are located closer to the residence.

The Cityline is cost effective and will attract many pax as a defacto metro line for the growing eastern corridor esp for those going Ramkhamhaeng and Hua Mark way. However, to take the Express to/from Makkasan at 150 baht is rarely going to be cheaper or less hassle than a taxi door to door. Even once the check-in facilities are operating at the CAT it will hardly be a great added benefit (as opposed to Hong Kong Station).

That is why the SRT and operator have been looking at an initial price of 100 baht for the first 6-12 months for the Express Service once full operations commence from 23 August..

However, the SRT Governor has just announced a very cheap fare structure for the first year of operations which will ensure heavy usuage;

1. The Express Line will have a fare of 50 baht for the first year of operations,

(Every 15 mins and journey time of 15 mins)

2. The City Line will have a fare of 10 baht for 1-7 stations and 20 baht between Phayathai and the Airport for the 1st year of operations.

(Every 20 mins and journey time of 28 - 30 mins)

Both will operate from 5am until 1am.

http://www.prachacha...&day=2010-07-12

If anyone lived near Ratchapraprop Station in Pratunam or Ramkhamheang station you could travel to/from the Airport for 10 baht!B)

However, the SRT Governor has just announced a very cheap fare structure for the first year of operations which will ensure heavy usuage;

1. The Express Line will have a fare of 50 baht for the first year of operations,

(Every 15 mins and journey time of 15 mins)

2. The City Line will have a fare of 10 baht for 1-7 stations and 20 baht between Phayathai and the Airport for the 1st year of operations.

(Every 20 mins and journey time of 28 - 30 mins)

Both will operate from 5am until 1am.

http://www.prachacha...&day=2010-07-12

If anyone lived near Ratchapraprop Station in Pratunam or Ramkhamheang station you could travel to/from the Airport for 10 baht!B)

This schedule, operating hours and pricing, if accurate, seems ideal, better than I had hoped for. Now I just hope the signalling system works as that's a lot of trains rolling.

The City Line trains will be packed.

^^ the above promotional fare information is correct. the city line train will sure become quite packed at 10 or 20 baht. one caveat is that the city line train only allow cabin-size hand luggage.

The train will not operate 24-hours though (like some airport links elsewhere)... last trains depart at about after midnight.

Any update on the Airport Rail Link?

Has anyone taken it lately?

1) Is there a bridge from Phayathai BTS station to the Airport Link station?

2) What time does it close? (my flight is at 12 midnight, so I have to be at airport by 10pm)

3) Any English language official website of the link? I can't seem to Google it.

:blink:

2) What time does it close? (my flight is at 12 midnight, so I have to be at airport by 10pm)

3) Any English language official website of the link? I can't seem to Google it.

It is still runnning as per the above info - lots of pax.

1) It is being built quite quickly but will be finished a few weeks after the opening ones suspects ...or at least the BTS ticket barriers will be installed late.

2) If you have read the thread, the current operating times are clear. If your flight if after 23 Aug, you will be ok.

3) The SRT and operator are still yet to have their site operating to my understanding, probably in the week before full services start it will come online?? There is a Siemens site with technical info , the SRT has had a page link to their main site but the info is dated and not helpful.

1) It is being built quite quickly but will be finished a few weeks after the opening ones suspects ...or at least the BTS ticket barriers will be installed late.

2) If you have read the thread, the current operating times are clear. If your flight if after 23 Aug, you will be ok.

3) The SRT and operator are still yet to have their site operating to my understanding, probably in the week before full services start it will come online?? There is a Siemens site with technical info , the SRT has had a page link to their main site but the info is dated and not helpful.

2) If you have read the thread, the current operating times are still current. If your flight if after 23 Aug, you will be ok.

3) The SRT & operator are still yet up and running, probably in the week before full services start it will come online?? There is a Siemens site with technical info , the SRT has had a page link to their main site but the info is dated and not helpful.

Archived