How Is It Done? (Visa question)

Ikky Plush

I think you need to tell us under what circumstances are you staying in Thailand. I.e if you have a non Imm B now, why can you not get another, or why would you need to change from a B to an O, and what qualifies you to get this Visa...

More info please.. :o

totster :D

I think you need to tell us under what circumstances are you staying in Thailand.  I.e if you have a non Imm B now, why can you not get another, or why would you need to change from a B to an O, and what qualifies you to get this Visa...

More info please..  :o

totster  :D

Thanks for the reply.

I'm on a 'B' to study for a TEFL in Bangkok. I had a go at the course in Febuary but something came up and I didn't complete it. I'm now in the UK working and will return to Bangkok next month where I will complete it. After I've done this I intend to look for work teaching in Udon as I like it there. I've been married to my Thai wife for six years. She is originally from Sakorn Nakhon but I met her in Khon Kaen. We have lived in the UK up to now. Our first child will be born around Christmas time and it's our intention to be in Thailand at that time.

If I have not found full-time work by the time my visa expires I believe I cannot re-new my 'B'? I would have to get an 'O'? Then I can continue my hunt for work in Udon? Could you tell me how I would go about the visa process in Nong Khai and Laos?

Cheers.

Are you sure you have a "B" and not an "ED"... anyway not that it matters to the reply much.... :o

You will be able to get a Non Imm O visa based on the fact that you are married to a Thai. This has to be applied for outside of Thailand. This could then be extended for a year (which would mean no three monthly visa runs) as long as you satisfy the conditions, mainly having an income of Bt40,000 per month or bt400 000 in your Thai bank account.

As regards to where to get this visa, i asked this question also and the opinion seems to be that the best place to obtain the Visa is Penang. No one has given advice as to whether it can be obtained easily In Vientiane/Laos.

Totster :D

Are you sure you have a "B" and not an "ED"... anyway not that it matters to the reply much.... :o

You will be able to get a Non Imm O visa based on the fact that you are married to a Thai.  This has to be applied for outside of Thailand. This could then be extended for a year (which would mean no three monthly visa runs) as long as you satisfy the conditions, mainly having an income of Bt40,000 per month or bt400 000 in your Thai bank account.

As regards to where to get this visa, i asked this question also and the opinion seems to be that the best place to obtain the Visa is Penang.  No one has given advice as to whether it can be obtained easily In Vientiane/Laos.

Totster  :D

Cheers Totster.

I asked someone else this question before and they said Penang. I presumed they had said that because they lived in Bangkok. I thought I would be able to re-new a visa in any country (apart from Burma) that bordered the region of Thailand that I happened to be in when my visa expired. Strange one that.

One more question (sorry to bore you). Can I work on an 'O' as a teacher and will it give me a straight year in Thailand without the 90 day thing?

Sorry mate, I know it's getting late over there.

Cheers Totster.

I asked someone else this question before and they said Penang.  I presumed they had said that because they lived in Bangkok.  I thought I would be able to re-new a visa in any country (apart from Burma) that bordered the region of Thailand that I happened to be in when my visa expired.  Strange one that.

One more question (sorry to bore you).  Can I work on an 'O' as a teacher and will it give me a straight year in Thailand without the 90 day thing?

You can obtain a Work permit using your Non Imm O visa, you will get the year extension as long as the employer has satisfied certain obligations such as capital and Thai / Farang ratio.... but I'm sure you would be able to just do this on your O visa (based on marriage) with bt400000 in the bank or if your monthly salary is bt40000 or more.

BTW, i'm in UK at present.. :o

Cheers Totster.

I asked someone else this question before and they said Penang.  I presumed they had said that because they lived in Bangkok.  I thought I would be able to re-new a visa in any country (apart from Burma) that bordered the region of Thailand that I happened to be in when my visa expired.  Strange one that.

One more question (sorry to bore you).  Can I work on an 'O' as a teacher and will it give me a straight year in Thailand without the 90 day thing?

You can obtain a Work permit using your Non Imm O visa, you will get the year extension as long as the employer has satisfied certain obligations such as capital and Thai / Farang ratio.... but I'm sure you would be able to just do this on your O visa (based on marriage) with bt400000 in the bank or if your monthly salary is bt40000 or more.

BTW, i'm in UK at present.. :o

I'm in Essex. I can't wait to go back. I'm fed up of talking about the weather. Where are you?

Cheers Totster.

BTW, i'm in UK at present.. :D

I'm in Essex. I can't wait to go back. I'm fed up of talking about the weather. Where are you?

I'm in Cheltenham / Gloucester..... I'll be going back in October.. :o

Weathers crap isn't it...! :D

Not raining in Bangkok. You can probably obtain a single entry O visa without much trouble in Vientiane but not sure about a multi entry valid for one year (which is what most people want if not sure of employment). For the one year type Penang is always the best choice. At any Consulate you will need your marriage certificate and a copy of her ID card.

You are best served to extend your stay at immigration on the basis of supporting Thai wife so that you do not tie your visa to employment that might end and leave you in the lurch.

Not raining in Bangkok.  You can probably obtain a single entry O visa without much trouble in Vientiane but not sure about a multi entry valid for one year (which is what most people want if not sure of employment).  For the one year type Penang is always the best choice.  At any Consulate you will need your marriage certificate and a copy of her ID card.

You are best served to extend your stay at immigration on the basis of supporting Thai wife so that you do not tie your visa to employment that might end and leave you in the lurch.

Thanks for the advice lopburi3. Just sent you another post on 'visa' section.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm on a 'B' to study for a TEFL in Bangkok. I had a go at the course in Febuary but something came up and I didn't complete it. I'm now in the UK working and will return to Bangkok next month where I will complete it. After I've done this I intend to look for work teaching in Udon as I like it there. I've been married to my Thai wife for six years. She is originally from Sakorn Nakhon but I met her in Khon Kaen. We have lived in the UK up to now. Our first child will be born around Christmas time and it's our intention to be in Thailand at that time.

If I have not found full-time work by the time my visa expires I believe I cannot re-new my 'B'? I would have to get an 'O'? Then I can continue my hunt for work in Udon? Could you tell me how I would go about the visa process in Nong Khai and Laos?

Cheers.

I think that Khon Kaen is a much better city than Udon. Why on earth would someone choose to live in Udon if they didn't have ties there?

I guess it is midway between your wife's home and Khon Kaen.

Jobs for teachers in KK are much better. KK Uni is great to teach at. In a different class to anything Udon has.

Good luck and btw, you can work on an "o" visa. Send me a PM if you need any help in finding work. I have contacts in Udon, Sakorn Nakhon, and Khon Kaen.

If this helps!!!!!.......I was recently in Vientiane for a renewal of my multiple entry 'O' visa. I could only get a single 90 day 'O' visa...they told me that they did not/would not issue multiple entry 'O' visa. I asked 'why not if I could do this in Penang'.....and was met with a large amount of mumbo jumbo which left my Thai wife perplexed also, but not willing to push the matter. So, I have to make a trip to Aus in August so will do it in Brisbane...(very easy to deal with).

Its a shame as I live in Khon Kaen and Vientiane is so convenient.

Has anyone out there managed to get a Multiple Entry from Vientiane...?????

Cheers

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers.

I think that Khon Kaen is a much better city than Udon. Why on earth would someone choose to live in Udon if they didn't have ties there?

I guess it is midway between your wife's home and Khon Kaen.

Jobs for teachers in KK are much better. KK Uni is great to teach at. In a different class to anything Udon has.

Good luck and btw, you can work on an "o" visa. Send me a PM if you need any help in finding work. I have contacts in Udon, Sakorn Nakhon, and Khon Kaen.

Thanks. I'm keeping an open mind on where I will teach in Isaan. I like both Khon Kaen and Udon. I really liked Khon Kaen but my wife has family in Udon and it's only an hour and a half drive to her family home in Sakorn Nakhon province. By the way, I've never been to Sakorn Nakhon city. How does it compare in general to KK and UT?

When I go for my 'O' visa does the account need to be in my name? If so, which bank will do this? Thanks again.

If this helps!!!!!.......I was recently in Vientiane  for a renewal of my multiple entry 'O' visa. I could only get a single 90 day 'O' visa...they told me that they did not/would not issue multiple entry 'O' visa. I asked 'why not if I could do this in Penang'.....and was met with a large amount of mumbo jumbo which left my Thai wife perplexed also, but not willing to push the matter. So, I have to make a trip to Aus in August so will do it in Brisbane...(very easy to deal with).

Its a shame as I live in Khon Kaen and Vientiane is so convenient.

Has anyone out there managed to get a Multiple Entry from Vientiane...?????

Cheers

Thanks Aussman. Can you tell me how I reply to a post without quoting it?

For the support Thai wife extension of stay the money can be in a joint account with your wife.  You do not normally need any bank account information for obtaining the visa from a Consulate.

You need to show the 400,000 on a bank statement though don't you, to get the 'O' VISA?

Not to get the Visa.... but if you want the extension yes.. :o

For the support Thai wife extension of stay the money can be in a joint account with your wife.  You do not normally need any bank account information for obtaining the visa from a Consulate.

You need to show the 400,000 on a bank statement though don't you, to get the 'O' VISA?

Post #11, first paragraph, third sentence. :o

You need a marriage certificate/copy and copy of her ID card.

So chaps, to summarise.

Go to Penang to change my 'B' to an 'O'. I will only need my wifes' ID card and our marriage certificate to do this. When this expires, I will need to go to Penang again but this time with the marriage certificate, ID card and proof of THB 400,00 in the bank.

Correcto?

So chaps, to summarise.

Go to Penang to change my 'B' to an 'O'. I will only need my wifes' ID card and our marriage certificate to do this. When this expires, I will need to go to Penang again but this time with the marriage certificate, ID card and proof of THB 400,00 in the bank.

Correcto?

No need to change your Visa... When B expires go to Penang and get the O with ID card and Marriage certificate...

You only have to prove bt 400,000 when you apply for the 1 year extension

So chaps, to summarise.

Correcto?

No. No.

So chaps, to summarise.

Correcto?

No need to change your Visa... When B expires go to Penang and get the O with ID card and Marriage certificate...

Got it mate, thanks. Can you tell me how long the 'O' lasts? Is it the same length as the 'B', with the extra 3 months on the end if you leave and come back just before it expires?

So chaps, to summarise.

Correcto?

Got it mate, thanks. Can you tell me how long the 'O' lasts? Is it the same length as the 'B', with the extra 3 months on the end if you leave and come back just before it expires?

Yes...

So chaps, to summarise.

Correcto?

Yes...

Cheers. Just been in the garden - it's red hot!

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(Ikky Plush @ 2005-06-18 18:26:03)

QUOTE(lopburi3 @ 2005-06-18 16:51:11)

QUOTE(Ikky Plush @ 2005-06-18 15:45:41)

QUOTE(lopburi3 @ 2005-06-18 15:26:54)

Post #11, first paragraph, third sentence. 

So chaps, to summarise.

Correcto?

totster 

Ikky, you don't have to leave the country.

I had a non-imm B, and before it expired I went to Suan Phlu and applied for my marriage visa, waited a few weeks then got it. I had to show 200,000 baht, but this was Jan 2004. Last time I had to show 400,000 baht.

If you have or can get the marriage certificate you can take care of getting the non-immigrant O visa in the UK at a Thai embassy. I am an American so I did not do mine in the UK, but I just went thru this a couple of weeks ago.

I gave the embassy the marriage certificate, copy of wife’s passport (you can us the ID card as well), and proof of income. There are also two forms the embassy requires you to fill out – a personnel history form, and a visa application form. Received my multiple entry O valid for one year.

Even if you have to settle for a 90 day single entry up front, once you get to Thailand you can get it extended and allow for multiple entry without leaving Thailand. To get the extension you will need to be able to prove income level or prove 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account. If you take the 400,000 baht option yo also have to prove the money came from outside of Thailand (copy of the wire transfer info).

There are a couple of companies that advertise on Tv that can help with this in Thailand if you need the help – Sunbelt Asia, and Indo-Siam.

If you take the 400,000 baht option yo also have to prove the money came from outside of Thailand (copy of the wire transfer info).

I never needed a copy of the wire transfer info.

I have done it once in Bangkok and once in Nong Kai.