Insane Drinking After Exercise

Curiously this has occurred at a time when I'm getting very fit.

And the backdrop to this is that I miss smoking terribly (I gave up 2 years ago).

Usually after strenuous exercise I succumb to the strong temptation to drink a few beers with sometimes awful consequences, usually severe dehydration and vomiting. I don't drink at other times.

I don't think there is a medical weakness as such as I have always not needed much to make me drunk.

I like beer very much, but don't want this at all, and think it's best to quit full stop.

Is there any technique to make me think twice about getting in this mess.

All advice valued.

Try drinking Shandy, 50/50 beer/Lemonade, or 75/25 is even better in your situation.

Definitely worth a try if you are just drinking alone.

Also try drinking water or an ionic drink as you are exercising.

However if you go out on the piss with your mates from the Gym, or the local Hash, then that is a bit more difficult... :)

The best drink after exercising is CAMPBELL V8 (mixed vegetable juice), easy to find in supermarkets.

:D

I am 65 years young and have been exercising the majority of my life and even now try to get in 90 minutes training which includes a 5-7 km run 6 days a week. I literally sweat buckets during the exercise, so much so that my running machine was stopping and discovered the reason for this is I was sweating so much that the rotating belt was getting soaking wet,dripping on the motor casing and causing the motor to short out - I now wear a top to help absorb some of the sweat. I include this only to let you know that I am a reasonably fit person, but one must still take precautions against dehydration.

In this climate, most foreigners when exercising will loose a great deal of fluid and we need to re-hydrate a lot more than you would think. Even without exercising, most of us are walking around, gently perspiring away - ergo loss of fluid. My regime is to run first before doing the rest of my upper and lower body exercises, but as soon as I stop running, I drink nearly a liter of stuff called chlorophyll and then drink another half liter during the remainder of the exercise. If I do a longer run, I take on board more fluids to compensate. Chlorophyll is a natural product that is very similar in composition to blood and is absorbed into the system exceptionally quickly - I have also found that hangovers are much less uncomfortable due to it's re-hydration properties.

Baring some underlying medical problem, which might just be worth checking out, it would sound like you are dehydrating yourself through exercise and then of course compounding the situation by drinking alcohol which is further de-hydrating you. A little tip (no pun intended) when you go for a pee, check that the colour is not dark - it should be clear, or nearly clear. If it is a bit dark, you are dehydrated and need to re-hydrate quickly. Dehydration can be very serious. Hope it works for you :)

Drink a lot of water or diluted orange juice or something before you start on the beer.

It will also help you drink the beer slower by filling your belly...

SC

The key to appropriate rehydration is to drink fluid regularly rather than a large amount at the end of exercise. In the Middle East where working in extreme heat is a major concern for the industry and extensive programs and training are in place to prevent heat stroke and heat exhaustion.

Workers can lose 3-5 gallons of sweat during a working day (depending on the Heat Index and type of work activity) so work is broken into shorter periods and workers drink approximately 200mls of fluid every 20 minutes. Thirst drive is not an accurate measure of dehydration under these circumstances.

Isotonic fluids for fluid replacement is ideal as it is absorbed easily and also replaces electrolytes.

It is essential to be well hydrated before having beer; the diuretic effect of the alcohol will surely aggravate the situation.

Three beers and you're vomiting?

Mate, when was the last time you had a physical including a readout on your liver function?

In Phuket we play two man beach volleyball, granted later in the day when its not as hot, but we'll get in five games, definitely strenuous. After we'll throw back 3-5 big beers.

Typically some cramping but otherwise that's about it. I think if you're healthy, you should be able to have a few beers after a workout.

Edited by grumpyoldman

Mate, when was the last time you had a physical including a readout on your liver function?

In Phuket we play two man beach volleyball, granted later in the day when its not as hot, but we'll get in five games, definitely strenuous. After we'll throw back 3-5 big beers.

Typically some cramping but otherwise that's about it. I think if you're healthy, you should be able to have a few beers after a workout.

Are you for real?

I want to punch your face in!

If I do have a liver complaint it would hardly be a pull your socks up thing would it?

Get back to the muppets you twXt.

Are you for real?

If I do have a liver complaint it would hardly be a pull your socks up thing would it?

Calm down, man! Your opinion of the other fella is no excuse for you to act like an eejit.

Maybe he's got a point - if you're throwing up in those conditions, maybe you should ask a doctor what's wrong, before trying to find a way to work round it.

SC

Are you for real?

Calm down, man! Your opinion of the other fella is no excuse for you to act like an eejit.

Maybe he's got a point - if you're throwing up in those conditions, maybe you should ask a doctor what's wrong, before trying to find a way to work round it.

SC

Agreed.

Looking at other MommysBoy threads,

29/05/2010 - This thread

11/05/2010 - "Severe Vomiting"

07/04/2010 - "Some blood in vomit"

The guy has a problem, and a basic medical seems like excellent advice, including a standard liver function test.

A doctor will be able to give far better advice than ThaiVisa members, if there is no problem it will provide reassurance that all is well.

Rather surprised at the "Punch your face in" comment, sounds almost like violent denial, a symptom of late stage alcoholism. :)

Are you for real?

SC

Agreed.

29/05/2010 - This thread

The guy has a problem, and a basic medical seems like excellent advice, including a standard liver function test.

A doctor will be able to give far better advice than ThaiVisa members, if there is no problem it will provide reassurance that all is well.

Rather surprised at the "Punch your face in" comment, sounds almost like violent denial, a symptom of late stage alcoholism. :)

Well, yes I have a problem for sure, and that git didn't help it any.

I'm probably going back to Blighty to get checked over, but it seems most likely extreme dehydration and strong alcohol is the main cause here given my general fitness which actually also includes muscle gain lately too, which is unexpected at near 50.

And yes I obviously have some form of alcohol problem and came on here to get advice not on how to drink better, nor improve my tolerance, but how to ditch the stuff!!!

Obviously no wisdom forthcoming in that direction though !!!

I would have thought that your stated problems (plus any unstated ones?) would be reason enough for any sane person to kick the stuff permanent.

Sometimes we need meducal advice and sometimes we don't. From the OP it appears that deep down inside you know what you must do but lack the willpower to do it.

There's no magic potion anybody can offer you, you just have to want to quit.......................or die.

So which is it?

I would have thought that your stated problems (plus any unstated ones?) would be reason enough for any sane person to kick the stuff permanent.

Sometimes we need meducal advice and sometimes we don't. From the OP it appears that deep down inside you know what you must do but lack the willpower to do it.

There's no magic potion anybody can offer you, you just have to want to quit.......................or die.

So which is it?

It's not a question of sanity is it!, that's the nature of addiction.

And from a rudimentary look at liver ailments, alcohol intolerance is not really a sign of poor liver function anyway!!!, in fact not reacting is.!!!! All things being equal, when well rested and with a full stomach I tolerate 10 beers and a few shorts anyway, but I don't drink at all at the moment anyway save these episodes. I think the caffeine addiction, and the stress of running a business is much more of an issue at present, and as stated I dreadfully miss cigarettes.

As to other problems all I can say is I've stated it the way it is, at present as far as I'm aware I'm particularly healthy, and in fact it's this health that has led to a surge in activity and a return to youthful excess. On the 3 occasions it happened I got awfully sick, just like food poisoning, on the first occasion the strain of retching was so intense I probably burst a blood vessel most likely, and there was some blood. But this is common, and my stomach feels A1 since giving up drinking in the main. At first I thought it was a definitve medical problem and placed a posting on the general site but as it unfolds there would appear to be no issue, although to my mind I need to see whether pre-diabetes is an issue, and the neurological issues of consuming so much caffeine.

I'm clean out of will power though at present in this particular syndrome, ie, the sudden desire to drink beer coinciding with severely dehydrating exercise, which is why I came on the board. Not to have the pXXX taken out of me. There's none left after all I'm always dehydrated :)

Luckily I don't feel like a drink at all at present, so maybe the problem is solved already, and if the urge should come again I'll focus my mind on the very painful events that are sure to follow. That's all I can think of doing.

But yes I agree only I can do it, that much is honestly soberingly, staggeringly clear. :D

I really would like some form of practical help and was really after some coping techniques if they exist.

Ill visit my GP when I get back and I'm expecting him to recommend no tests in all honesty. Although I will ask about pre-diabetes.

Are you for real?

SC

Agreed.

29/05/2010 - This thread

His advice was poor and factually incorrect! No way in any medical literature will it ever say that a normal person will be able to consume 3-5 beers, that's just plain wrong . As I'm finding out, it is in fact rather dangerous thing to do. This guy is possibly young, also just flopping about on the beach with a ball in the late afternoon convincing himself he's exercising, whereas I'm out in the midday sun playing a strenuous game . It's basically sunstroke and heat exhaustion which is the big danger and of course adding alcohol in to the mixture is nuts, and it's because I am doing it that is why I'm posting.

He got what he deserved. A truly poor troll posting IMHO. More fool me for falling for it though.

whereas I'm out in the midday sun playing a strenuous game . It's basically sunstroke and heat exhaustion which is the big danger and of course adding alcohol in to the mixture is nuts, and it's because I am doing it that is why I'm posting.

Is it possible you are confusing cause and effect? What happens if you don't got out in the sun one day and just sit quietly in the shade a drink a couple of beers.

whereas I'm out in the midday sun playing a strenuous game . It's basically sunstroke and heat exhaustion which is the big danger and of course adding alcohol in to the mixture is nuts, and it's because I am doing it that is why I'm posting.

Is it possible you are confusing cause and effect? What happens if you don't got out in the sun one day and just sit quietly in the shade a drink a couple of beers.

Ah well! then in this instance I have a very nice time, and in fact I have done this probably 50 -100 times over the last couple of years, but not for the last 3 months. I am conscious that I don't feel good if I haven't eaten something beforehand. Likewise if I am relaxed, well hydrated and drinking on a fullish stomach, then I can do a 9 hour leisurely booze up, with say 8 smll bottles and a few shorts, with snacks in between. I'll roll back fairly drunk, go to sleep and wake up ok the next day.

1.If I exercise strenuously in a shaded gym then no repercussions at all as long as I drink 2-3 litres of water over 2-3 hours, and of course don't touch alcohol.

2. If I exercise in the sun for say 1 hour then later I may start to feel like I have mild chill, hot and cold, and stiff neck for instance, and I'll be off my food.

3. If I exercise strenuously in the sun for a few hours, and then drink. well believe me it's not nice, severe violent vomiting in 3-4 episodes over the course of 4-5 hours. It's just like food poisoning.

4. But once I actually had the same by just not eating, being dehydrated, and then sunbathing and drinking 4 small cans. I think the temp was about 40 that day.

Come to think of it an empty stomach is always a precurser too!

Yes I know what you mean about cause and effect, and this whole thing may be a smokescreen for some underlying health condition that only becomes apparent under strain,eg, mild or yet to form diabetes, but as I sit here feeling healthy it's difficult to believe that. I think it's a product of a drink problem, a caffeine addiction, and perhaps not coming to terms with the strenuous exercise ( I mean I'll be running on a treadmill for 1.5 hours maybe. in 37 degree heat).

As to the actual episodes, well my guess is I'm not good at handling alcohol, and when I drink with a very empty, tired and dehydrated body, the alcohol is ingested very quickly in to the blood stream, viewed as poison, my stomach shuts down, bile is pumped out, and you can guess the rest. I wonder if this is a plausible.

Why are you waiting until you get back to the UK to go to the quack's. Just go and see a doc in Thailand, okay if you haven't got medical cover it's going to cost a bit but that's better than not knowing. Also I don't know how easy it is to just walk into your doc's in the UK these days and get immediate service.

Are you for real?

Just now saw this response to my post.

Also just noticed the handle, that might explain it.

Are you for real?

Just now saw this response to my post.

Also just noticed the handle, that might explain it.

Shouldn't you be out playing slap ball, the sun's gone down! :)

Your drinking sessions that you mention of 8 beers and a few shots is quite a lot in my opinion.

I don't know what other people drink but that would be a once in a year drink for me.

As for the exercise and dehydration I lived in the ME for many years and we played squash on the weekend for a couple of hours and then went drinking and it was stinking hot.

I don't remember any of us guys having any real issues. If the urine was dark we rehydrated with sports drinks and water.

In fact we used to weigh ourselves after squash and we would sometimes lose 2 kilos through sweat in a big session.

I would be getting checked out if i was you. It may not be anything to worry about but it still bears looking into.

Your drinking sessions that you mention of 8 beers and a few shots is quite a lot in my opinion.

I don't know what other people drink but that would be a once in a year drink for me.

As for the exercise and dehydration I lived in the ME for many years and we played squash on the weekend for a couple of hours and then went drinking and it was stinking hot.

I don't remember any of us guys having any real issues. If the urine was dark we rehydrated with sports drinks and water.

In fact we used to weigh ourselves after squash and we would sometimes lose 2 kilos through sweat in a big session.

I would be getting checked out if i was you. It may not be anything to worry about but it still bears looking into.

With the 8 beers etc, I was just giving an example, it's the sort of thing I do once a year or less.

I think it's still not the same as playing soccer in the sun for a few hours more than that. As I mentioned (I think) I can do a few hours indoors no problem too. The rehydration beforehand is probably a key issue.

I did a search on the net and it seems it is quite common after all, the report I read suggested that the fitter you are the more you might suffer from alcohol intolerance, it also has anecdotal reports from people who experienced much the same, mainly from paratroopers as I recall.

Maybe something wrong, maybe quite the opposite.

I'm just mindful that I have a drink problem and caffeine addiction, and this is why I came and posted on this board.

But all the posts just hanker on about me going to the doctors. I cant see the point if there's nothing wrong with me!!

With the 8 beers etc, I was just giving an example, it's the sort of thing I do once a year or less.

I think it's still not the same as playing soccer in the sun for a few hours more than that. As I mentioned (I think) I can do a few hours indoors no problem too. The rehydration beforehand is probably a key issue.

I did a search on the net and it seems it is quite common after all, the report I read suggested that the fitter you are the more you might suffer from alcohol intolerance, it also has anecdotal reports from people who experienced much the same, mainly from paratroopers as I recall.

I'm just mindful that I have a drink problem and caffeine addiction, and this is why I came and posted on this board.

But all the posts just hanker on about me going to the doctors. I cant see the point if there's nothing wrong with me!!

Nothing wrong with me, either, except that I'm surrounded by loonies and projecting hypochondriacs. Wouldn't do any harm to get a second opinion, though.

That's a bit of 'pot calling the kettle black', by the way. I've had this mild occasional pain from my groin to my knee for about three years that I've considered going to the doctors' for, but never done so. Difference is, I am quite happy to live with it, and never complained till now. And, to be fair, its got worse recently and seems now to be a bit of a joint or tendon pain. Anyway, what's the use of complaining, no one listens, so you might as well not bother.

I thought you came and posted becuase you worried you were seriously poorly because you vomited after a small amount of drinking following exercise, or maybe for constructive advice on how to avoid said vomiting. SO anyway, drink plenty of water or sports drinks before, during and after exercise.

I can't believe you only drink more than 8 pints once a year. That doesn't seem worth boasting about, but I suppose we all need to start somewhere. If you can count how much you drink, you've scarcely even begun to suffer. Plenty to look forward to.

Very best wishes, and keep in touch - let us know how it all pans out (so to speak)

SC

Nothing wrong with me, either, except that I'm surrounded by loonies and projecting hypochondriacs. Wouldn't do any harm to get a second opinion, though.

That's a bit of 'pot calling the kettle black', by the way. I've had this mild occasional pain from my groin to my knee for about three years that I've considered going to the doctors' for, but never done so. Difference is, I am quite happy to live with it, and never complained till now. And, to be fair, its got worse recently and seems now to be a bit of a joint or tendon pain. Anyway, what's the use of complaining, no one listens, so you might as well not bother.

I thought you came and posted becuase you worried you were seriously poorly because you vomited after a small amount of drinking following exercise, or maybe for constructive advice on how to avoid said vomiting. SO anyway, drink plenty of water or sports drinks before, during and after exercise.

I can't believe you only drink more than 8 pints once a year. That doesn't seem worth boasting about, but I suppose we all need to start somewhere. If you can count how much you drink, you've scarcely even begun to suffer. Plenty to look forward to.

Very best wishes, and keep in touch - let us know how it all pans out (so to speak)

SC

How tedious for you so sorry! Well in my case the only thing I've been projecting is vomit.

No I posted because I wanted advice about giving up drink, stated as much, and hey what do know :D ...this is the I drink too much forum. :)

I wasn't boasting I was just stating you nut, and I've had my fair share of illness and great good health too.

Still be interesting to learn how you managed to equate severe prolonged vomiting with a mild occasional pain caused by a touch of muscle burn. Presumably the same way you equated indoor squash for a couple of hours with running up and down the football pitch for a few hours in the burning heat.!!

Rest that leg up now, we wouldn't want any further slight occasional twinges would we :D

Why are you waiting until you get back to the UK to go to the quack's. Just go and see a doc in Thailand, okay if you haven't got medical cover it's going to cost a bit but that's better than not knowing. Also I don't know how easy it is to just walk into your doc's in the UK these days and get immediate service.

I don't like going to see Thai doctors and I assume a Western doctor would be very expensive. I also don't think there is any underlying medical condition other than addiction to caffeine, and the peculiar drinking problem described above.

8>< SNIP: NESTED QUOTES DELETED ><8

How tedious for you so sorry! Well in my case the only thing I've been projecting is vomit.

No I posted because I wanted advice about giving up drink, stated as much, and hey what do know :D ...this is the I drink too much forum. :)

I wasn't boasting I was just stating you nut, and I've had my fair share of illness and great good health too.

Still be interesting to learn how you managed to equate severe prolonged vomiting with a mild occasional pain caused by a touch of muscle burn. Presumably the same way you equated indoor squash for a couple of hours with running up and down the football pitch for a few hours in the burning heat.!!

Rest that leg up now, we wouldn't want any further slight occasional twinges would we :D

If that's all you drink, and you can count how much you drink, then I don't think its worth your while giving up the drink. And I don't see any reason to give up the drink because of your vomiting problem.

I agree with you, that the problem is not that you drink too much, based on what you've said. And you'll be able to just say 'no', and stop by yourself. Come back when you can't remember how much you drank, or when you think its the drink that's damaging your health, not the football, or when you've tried to stop for a few months and found yourself drinking more every time you've stopped.

In the meantime, consider to drink fresh orange, or soda water, instead of beer; or even coke - I know its diabolical poison, but you could try it, for a change. As I said earlier, when you finish your exercise, drink a pint or a litre of water before you drink anything else. That will give you the 'down in one' satisfaction that you get from beer.

But I still reckon you should go to a doctor; as mentioned by others, there are perfectly good doctors in Thailand, and if you're going to get treated by a stranger, then maybe you're as well going to the same one you'll see next time, in a few months or years, when the next problem comes up, so find one near where you live.

Anyway, drifting off topic, I'd recommend sticking to the sarcasm and avoiding actual abuse when posting. Also, in my opinion obscenity comes out poorly on this forum, because of the 'spell-checker' censor, but there's no excuse for obscenity anyway (in my opinion) - even mild obscenities; anyway, enough &lt;deleted&gt; (spell-checker test) and hypocrisy from me; I have a caffeine adiction to feed.

Sorry to drift off-topic but that just made me think...

I have an opened bottle of whisky in the apartment that I haven't touched in the month or so that its been there - I forget when it was brought round; and I don't drink coffee at home either. But there's no way that I could have a jar of coffee in the house and not drink it - possibly not true, as I don't even know if I have a kettle... Anyway, just like the beer, I only drink coffee when I'm out with my friends, or (unlike beer) at work.

Very best wishes

SC

If that's all you drink, and you can count how much you drink, then I don't think its worth your while giving up the drink. And I don't see any reason to give up the drink because of your vomiting problem.

I agree with you, that the problem is not that you drink too much, based on what you've said. And you'll be able to just say 'no', and stop by yourself. Come back when you can't remember how much you drank, or when you think its the drink that's damaging your health, not the football, or when you've tried to stop for a few months and found yourself drinking more every time you've stopped.

In the meantime, consider to drink fresh orange, or soda water, instead of beer; or even coke - I know its diabolical poison, but you could try it, for a change. As I said earlier, when you finish your exercise, drink a pint or a litre of water before you drink anything else. That will give you the 'down in one' satisfaction that you get from beer.

But I still reckon you should go to a doctor; as mentioned by others, there are perfectly good doctors in Thailand, and if you're going to get treated by a stranger, then maybe you're as well going to the same one you'll see next time, in a few months or years, when the next problem comes up, so find one near where you live.

Anyway, drifting off topic, I'd recommend sticking to the sarcasm and avoiding actual abuse when posting. Also, in my opinion obscenity comes out poorly on this forum, because of the 'spell-checker' censor, but there's no excuse for obscenity anyway (in my opinion) - even mild obscenities; anyway, enough &lt;deleted&gt; (spell-checker test) and hypocrisy from me; I have a caffeine adiction to feed.

I have an opened bottle of whisky in the apartment that I haven't touched in the month or so that its been there - I forget when it was brought round; and I don't drink coffee at home either. But there's no way that I could have a jar of coffee in the house and not drink it - possibly not true, as I don't even know if I have a kettle... Anyway, just like the beer, I only drink coffee when I'm out with my friends, or (unlike beer) at work.

Very best wishes

SC

THE WHISKY : Needs to go.

Come on that's just an incident waiting to happen!

Making your home a 'free-zone ' is a good strategy.

Anyway, drifting off topic, I'd recommend sticking to the sarcasm and avoiding actual abuse when posting. Also, in my opinion obscenity comes out poorly on this forum, because of the 'spell-checker' censor, but there's no excuse for obscenity anyway (in my opinion) - even mild obscenities;

SC, you are way too nice to mommysgirl who 1. doesn't understand your leg analogy and 2.if can't stomach drink needs to come on a forum to ask about giving up drinking (lunatic maybe? Troll for sure).

mommysgirl the attention you seek is out there, just buy a lady drink, but stick to OJ there to keep from vomiting (yes, I too remember my first drink....).

Very best wishes

SC

THE WHISKY : Needs to go.

Come on that's just an incident waiting to happen!

Making your home a 'free-zone ' is a good strategy.

If I can't live with a bottle of whisky on the shelf, then I shouldn't be living on a street where I have to walk past a pub every day (not actually literally past the pub, but just round the corner, across the main road and down a bit... funnily enough, those direction would take you to a pub no matter which way you walked out my building...).

No, the whisky is not a temptation; never really has been, except maybe when I'm raging drunk already. Thinking back, the last few times I had a whisky in the pub (and this is going back three or four years), I don't think I ever had a second; I'd carry on knocking the pints back like there was no tomorrow though...

You've cured me of any temptation to exercise, as well...

SC

I don't like going to see Thai doctors and I assume a Western doctor would be very expensive. I also don't think there is any underlying medical condition other than addiction to caffeine, and the peculiar drinking problem described above.

Forget that it is YOU, imagine it is your best mate who has the same symptoms as you have.

What would you recommend???

A. UK Health service

- Wait X months till next visit to the UK

- Make an appointment to see the NHS doctor, the receptionist says you must wait five days.

(are you still eligible for free NHS treatment, or will you be charged ??)

The doctor may well be Indian or Asian, (a Western doctor as you prefer)

- Wait two hours in a grotty waiting room full or ill mothers and kids, very few of whom speak English.

- Get referred to the local hospital for tests, your appointment is in two months time.

- Two months later, wait for two hours in a grotty waiting room...

(Or do you think you deserve priority treatment?)

or B. Thai Health service

Attend a local doctors surgery and wait ten minutes.

Immediate referral for hospital tests if the doctor thinks they are needed.

Tests completed, hopefully a clean bill of health and a pack of Rennies.

Pleasant memories of the nurses. :)

Based on my own personal experience I far prefer Thailand for medical and dental treatment.

In Thailand you can choose the doctor or hospital and get immediate first rate treatment.

I have had a couple of full medical check-ups at Bumrungrad hospital in Bangkok, are you interested? Full details on their website.

At the very least see a local doctor, it only costs a few hundred baht, you have no excuse not to!

Good luck.

davee58. I don't think I'm ill at all.

I've been talking with my best mates (3), and the pharmacist, and the girlfriend too, they don't think I'm ill either.

But I have always suspected my liver isn't as strong as it might be, and I am giving credence to the idea of pre-type 2 diabetes.

I don't think I'm in denial. And no ants in the pan as yet.

Any idea how to cope with the dreaded insane urges?