Raw Sewage On Lamai Beach

What's going on here is the guy's septic tank is full and he's letting it outflow on the beach.

I was in Samui a couple of weeks ago and noticed that there were several foul smelling green puddles about, seepage from underground tanks.

Sadly, this is a problem that isn't going to go away until they install a central treatment plant and sewers, a very expensive exercise.

One point is that they're probably not pumping it out every day.

I took me twenty years to get Pattaya to install a central sewage treatment plant. The first 10 years was spent trying to explain to the Thais what pollution is. You have to understand that they had no idea that there was something wrong with the "Nahm Ting or Nahm Seah" flowing down the street into the sea. It had always done it for Generations. The only sewage plant existing was at the old Marina Hotel left behind by the American forces.

Eventually I was able to persuade individual hotels to install proper sewage plants by showing them they could save Bmillions by using the treated water for irrigating their gardens. Previously they were being ripped off by the Thai Mafia, who made them buy tankered water to water the hotel gardens.

Similarly, although I was able to sell Pattaya Council on the idea of a central sewage plant, nothing was done until I suggested that Khamnan Poh should form a Waste Water Treatment Company. As you may know this worked because, Sumit Grade, Khamnan Poh's Company won the Contract and are now operating the plant.

It is no good trying to fight against the Thai system in Koh Sumui, the only way to get things done is to persuade the Local Mafia that they can profit by installing a Centralised Water Treatment Plant. If they think they can make money out of it, it will go ahead.

If you want to fight the system, try Green Peace Thailand.

Incidently, having spent 20 years in the UK trying to stop Companies polluting, 99% of Companies do not care about reducing pollution and only install plants if they have to, or if they can recycle the water and save money.

Edited by Estrada

OK, to inject a bit of reality here from a small bungalow owner. No, we would never pump raw sewage onto our beach but that said the only way to get the septic tanks emptied is to get the truck to come pump it out or do it yourself with a bucket and digging another pit nearby to dump the sewage in. The septic tank for our restaurant was full and it took 2 weeks to get the truck to come and pump it out. (No way was the husband going to do it himself and I don't blame him). Our customers used a bathroom in a bungalow which we kept empty for those two weeks. The toilet truck is run by the OrBorDor, an entirely useless outfit by my opinion. First they claimed it was being repaired, and then, after we saw it driving around, they said we were on the list and they would get to us. Wonder how much they wanted?

The owner of that resort is completely irresponsible and should get in trouble for his actions but perhaps he has a reason for doing so? Not a good excuse, but it might make his behavior a bit more understandable than just sheer laziness or greed.

Yep. Nice guy actually. Has morals  :o

this makes me laugh. I hope the sewage stinks up his resort and his business goes into the sh1tter. (no pun intended)

PKG

u r right, absolutely! Must be a German or French a.h.

Im offended being american , maybe why thailand is going to waste is because there are so many european people there that dont give a sh!t . hmmm makes you wonder .

Let's be very ######ing careful about what you are implying there.  First of all, there are no Thai mothers and fathers that want their little boys or girls to get sick from diseases from playing on a polluted beach (polluted by feces from foreigners no less).

Polluted by feces from foreigners? You can tell which race of person it came from? You sure know your sh*t. :o

they pump raw sewage into maenam beach too it is bloody awful to see. as for lamai i haven't been back since i saw a a young thai girl take a big khrap on the sandcastle her dad had made. i hate to see that kind of thing but what can you do eh?

Can you tell me where please in Maenam. I don't believe it and I want to go film it to show the Tessabaan, as they will not be happy. I'll be really mad if it's some one from my own familly, but I will still report them.

OK, to inject a bit of reality here from a small bungalow owner. No, we would never pump raw sewage onto our beach but that said the only way to get the septic tanks emptied is to get the truck to come pump it out or do it yourself with a bucket and digging another pit nearby to dump the sewage in. The septic tank for our restaurant was full and it took 2 weeks to get the truck to come and pump it out. (No way was the husband going to do it himself and I don't blame him). Our customers used a bathroom in a bungalow which we kept empty for those two weeks. The toilet truck is run by the OrBorDor, an entirely useless outfit by my opinion. First they claimed it was being repaired, and then, after we saw it driving around, they said we were on the list and they would get to us. Wonder how much they wanted?

The owner of that resort is completely irresponsible and should get in trouble for his actions but perhaps he has a reason for doing so? Not a good excuse, but it might make his behavior a bit more understandable than just sheer laziness or greed.

Can understand on your island there is probably only one choice and tea money might be involved but this is the big island so it should not be that hard to find either government (very cheap) or private (bargain hard) source to pump. If you run a business it should be part of your operating budget. He may have a reason but he has no excuse imho.

Let's be very ######ing careful about what you are implying there.  First of all, there are no Thai mothers and fathers that want their little boys or girls to get sick from diseases from playing on a polluted beach (polluted by feces from foreigners no less).

Polluted by feces from foreigners? You can tell which race of person it came from? You sure know your sh*t. :o

Not surprise by the allegation, there are more aliens here than the locals.

Well I walked down there again this morning and it was all looking pretty clean, so for the time being my beach walks are resumed! I still didnt see a name of the resort though, but if I see it again, ill definately do more investigating and get the sods reported (for all the good it will do?!?!)

I also work in a resort and know of the problems that can be involved in getting the septic tanks drained. It seems to me that there is only one small lorry for the whole area! This certainly remains to be a problems for all resorts, big or small.

Anyway this is Samui, already on its way to being a garbage dump, lets hope things change pretty soon :o

I can promise you that if you do the wrong thing to a Thai that you could and probably will be dealt with quietly.  There is no need to publicly show it.

I've got a couple of anecdotes to highlight what I'm talking about.

...[stories removed cos they were too boring to repeat!]...

I agree that thais have ways of dealing with issues quietly (though it is usually ineffective or brutally final), but your stories didn't illustrate anything except that there are a lot of boorish brits in thailand! Their actions would be considered inappropriate and rude in their own country too!

Enough said, you're clearly incapable of constructing a reasoned argument so I won't waste any more of my time on you.

My stories may have been boring to some, but they prompted a response from you...so in effect they were constructive. My post was in response to the post by dezeure and his ensenuation that it's only foreigners who go around complaining all the time, and that the Thai's would never do anything to fix a terrible problem.

There is a lot of Thai bashing going on in these discussion forums. Mostly by us foreigners living in Thailand. We could stand to do a little bit of introspective thought on our own actions from time to time.

As far as the lady. I'll admit, that I didn't need to add the adjectives "overweight" or "older" or even "british" in the description of the situation. But they painted a little more defined picture of what was happening. I'd bet that if you (and the same goes for most of the people participating in this thread) were in the Thai girl's position, and the "lady" tried to tell you what to do, that you'd have some choice words for the "lady."

As far as the feces coming from foreigners. Thais don't typically stay in resorts on the beach along Lamai unless they are middle class or well to do Thais coming from Bangkok (or other parts of Thailand). In those cases, they stay in the more reputible resorts. I guess it's fair to say that some of the shit may have come from Thai staff working at the resort though. But that's beyond my point.

Edited by cookiesunshinex

Imagine the new advertising publicity line for Phuket----"Business is up in Koh Sumai, in fact brimming over....to be seen and smelt on the beaches". ..."Come to beautiful Phuket- No little floaters in Phuket waters".  :D

It's all a big plot folks; business rivalry .  :D    (Seriously though one would hope they get their act together).

Ohh really:- :D

large.jpg

this is one of the beaches in Phuket (East side that is) away from the tourist sites of-course.

I'm surprised that after reaping the financial rewards of tourism, they haven't made more effort to 'hide the crap'.

Well Phuket hide this one BTW very nicely. :o

Yours truly :D:D

Kan Win

Try writing to the "Community Magazine"...errr. no actually,they'll be too busy writing kiss-ass restaurant or spa reviews :o

Couldn't agree more. This monthly of a publication is seen as a joke on the island. They try to preach morals and constantly urge people to protect the (Samui) island, highlighting environmental and conservation issues. Then open it up and you will see full page write ups on the benefits of having your own swimming pool installed, after previously asking residents to conserve water!. You will also see promotions for resorts that have blatantly breached the building height restrictions (Grand Cabana View). The editor also refused to condemn the practice of the taxi mafia ripping off tourists, stating that we should pay more because we have more money (!) than the locals.

The issue of raw sewage pumping out will hardly get a mention in the next publication - maybe a few lines towards the back. They suck up, kiss ass and don't like to rock the boat, proving that the real issues it cares about are how much money its owners can make from it. Well done Community magazine for taking such a an admirable stand!

Yep. Nice guy actually. Has morals  :o

this makes me laugh. I hope the sewage stinks up his resort and his business goes into the sh1tter. (no pun intended)

PKG

u r right, absolutely! Must be a German or French a.h.

Im offended being american , maybe why thailand is going to waste is because there are so many european people there that dont give a sh!t . hmmm makes you wonder .

That's Right take the morel high ground! Then retreat and blast it back down to the US level!

You think your offended by a Thai's remarks what about yours!

They suck up, kiss ass and don't like to rock the boat, proving that the real issues it cares about are how much money its owners can make from it. Well done Community magazine for taking such a an admirable stand!

I think it is more about survival. This magazine is read more and more by tourists. And you don't want to offend an influential person. It will shorten your stay on the island. If you live here you will understand. When in Thailand keep a low profile and don't upset anyone.

They suck up, kiss ass and don't like to rock the boat, proving that the real issues it cares about are how much money its owners can make from it. Well done Community magazine for taking such a an admirable stand!

I think it is more about survival. This magazine is read more and more by tourists. And you don't want to offend an influential person. It will shorten your stay on the island. If you live here you will understand. When in Thailand keep a low profile and don't upset anyone.

No , the top quote is correct in a way...The owner of the magazine is Thai, so this is a good example of how Thai people here think. There are are a couple of farangs working with the Thai on this mag, but mainly writers, and not on the editorial, as , as you say, everyone must be a little careful and not rock the boat.

Seems to be a bit of a Brit American thing on this forum...Where does that stem from ? A farangs a farang init?

(OlRedEyes @ 2005-06-18 00:16:12)

Yep. Nice guy actually. Has morals  :o biggrin.gif

To disagree with the current US executives policy is freedom of speech and thought, to ban a nation of 300m is moronic or is that the essential ingredient of being Thai ? I think so, a nation of self serving morons or quasi intelligent thieves, but only the ones I have met so far, starting from '71.

Mmmm... seems like freedom of association to me. Notice the :D:D ... see now there s two. :D

[....a nation of self serving morons or quasi intelligent thieves....] maybe... but then that can be said about some of the largest most developed nations too, I won't specify which :D ... ever heard of imperialistic expansion and the 'utilisation' of other continents resources to enrich themselves and impoverish the 'donors'? Something many nations are still struggling to recover from.

Methinks I was commenting on the neighbouring resort owners reaction, not the offending one. Dumping sewage is no joke. Read before you shoot....

These self-rightous, paternalistic, quasi-intelligent, psuedo-intellectual etc attitudes are what is endearing some currently militarily powerful nations to so many in the world. A trace of panic about the shifting balance of power in the world perhaps? Paranoia? Fear? Who knows.

Relax and have a Chang.