I Want Thai Traffic Rules In English

I am living here in Thailand since a couple of years. I would appreciate to have from you guys

reference to the Thai traffic-rules written in english.

I drive here after what I consider to be good driving, and I am competing with 8-10 year

old boys/girls on the streets and there seems to be next to nothing of rules in the traffic...

Where can I find the traffic-rules written in english please..

Thanks in beforehand...

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

Some good links there, but in my experience these rules are never adhered to, and indeed not enforced. As a fralang driving it is very difficult to prove you was in the right.

Interesting to see some of the laws though. Like no overtaking on the nearside !! <deleted>!!

Car/Motorbike must be roadworthy, that is just a joke right?

1) Don't hit anything unless it's in the way

2) You're allowed to stop in the middle of a busy road for these reasons only

- to buy or sell food

- to talk to your mates

- (only for tuk tuks) to shout "Hey you where you go?" at foreigners

3) The rider must wear a helmet while riding a motorbike, other 4 passengers don't need to.

4) Drive on the left unless you're going to somewhere on the right, or cutting across a junction

Any more to add?

This has been discussed before Post #2 in this thread have attached "The Land Traffic Act" in English, albeit a bit old, from 1979.

Doesn't seem to be anything more recent in circulation. (You can also find this document on Thailaws.com)

I have been "booked" by a traffic cop who did show me a list of rules - I crap you not. It was at Sathorn/Rama IV junction. He booked me for going straight on when I was in the lane to turn right.

There were about 10 of them, written in English, printed on to a lamented card. Should of asked to keep it for a souvenir.

^^ Are you referring to passages such as " .... if the road is divided into 2 or more traffic lanes in the same direction, the driver shall keep to the outermost left-hand side lane ...."? Seems quite straightforward to me - the inner lane is where the different traffic directions are closest i.e. the centre of the road, on the RHS in Thailand.

Must admit, though, there are many places where it is a bit unclear. Maybe something's been lost in translation.

^^ Are you referring to passages such as " .... if the road is divided into 2 or more traffic lanes in the same direction, the driver shall keep to the outermost left-hand side lane ...."? Seems quite straightforward to me - the inner lane is where the different traffic directions are closest i.e. the centre of the road, on the RHS in Thailand.

Must admit, though, there are many places where it is a bit unclear. Maybe something's been lost in translation.

The inner lane is the one nearest the pavement, the outer lane is the one nearest the centre.

The inner lane is the one nearest the pavement, the outer lane is the one nearest the centre.

To make it clear: The inner lane is for parking, the second lane is for Busstop, the thirt lane is for taxi stop and the fourth lane (if have), is for u turn or turn right.

To make it clear: The inner lane is for parking, the second lane is for Busstop, the thirt lane is for taxi stop and the fourth lane (if have), is for u turn or turn right.

So which is the driving lane ??

So which is the driving lane ??

Now you got it! There is no driving lane anymore, therefore allways those traffic jams everywhere and one thing more: Greedy landlords building their shophouses in every soi, directly to the road, without and parkingspaces. They forgot that we living in 2010 (not in 1950). Peaple owning cars today, therefore all the sois are locked up with parked cars, left and right all over and no space for drive.

The funny thing: In Phnom Phen they build their shophouses always 5 meter away from the road, so peaple can parking, without dirsturbing the traffic.

Edited by stingray