2010 Football World Cup, How To Get English Commentry

localexpat

Hi,

I did some searches and could not find this item covered.

I have just got fixed up with True Vision HD channels sport and HBO.

I knew that the 2010 Football world cup would be in Thai commentry only on the True Vision HD channel.

What I hope to do is to mute the sound on the HD channel and supliment this by live radio commentry of the matches by internet.

The only internet radio channel I could find that may do this is BBC radio 5 sports live.

However I am not sure if BBC radio 5 will cover the world cup football matches.

For example yesterday during the French Open they were covering Bangaladesh cricket.

I did email and asked them but they never replied.

So, can anyone please advise how to get live commentry for the football world cup via the internet.

I think many expats are asking this question.

Thanks in advance

Are you sure you tried adjusting "1st choice" and "Second choice" language defaults to English on the True box? They have one for voice and one for text. Use either the menu or guide button on the remote to navigate to the language option section, depending on which True box you have.

Any online streaming will likely be delayed so much as to be not very useful to what you will be watching live on True.

Try Googling "watch sports online" or "watch world cup online" to get live video and audio feeds. I have used atdhe.net, justin.tv (may be blocked by MICT?), and channelsurfing.net. Sometimes you may need to install software such as a special player to get the live feed.

afaik True wont be having the WC with english commentary, theres a thread running on the CM forum discussing which bars will have the WC with english commentary, with some bars saying they have been promised by True that there will be, abiet only verbally, i think this will only end in tears for those that have signed up for the HD box on the basis that the WC will have english commentary

I have just been on the phone with the lovely people at True Visions. Even in HD, the commentary will be in Thai. There will be no choice. It is possible on the terrestrial channels, 1-5, that there might, just might be commentary in English.

As a long time listener of BBC 5 Live online, what normally happens is that less than premium events (such as England Vs Bangladesh in cricket) are broadcast internationally. When a premium event takes place, e.g. big football, rugby, cricket match, they do not broadcast internationally. To illustrate this point - I recently listened to every round of the 20/20 World Cup up to and including the semi-final. However, the final was not broadcast.

Last world cup, many bars had the South African or Indian feed which had English commentary although I think this is pricey to install at home.

We can't do anything else than put up with the monopoly power of True Visions. If there was any other choice, I'd change like a flash!

I have just been on the phone with the lovely people at True Visions. Even in HD, the commentary will be in Thai. There will be no choice. It is possible on the terrestrial channels, 1-5, that there might, just might be commentary in English.

As a long time listener of BBC 5 Live online, what normally happens is that less than premium events (such as England Vs Bangladesh in cricket) are broadcast internationally. When a premium event takes place, e.g. big football, rugby, cricket match, they do not broadcast internationally. To illustrate this point - I recently listened to every round of the 20/20 World Cup up to and including the semi-final. However, the final was not broadcast.

Last world cup, many bars had the South African or Indian feed which had English commentary although I think this is pricey to install at home.

We can't do anything else than put up with the monopoly power of True Visions. If there was any other choice, I'd change like a flash!

Just received this answer to my enquiry with TrueVisions so don't hold your breath

'Please allow us to inform you that The World cup matches have been secured the sole right by TV Pool (Thai TV) here in Thailand not TrueVisions. You will be able to watch it on Thai Free TV. However, we also regret to inform you that TV Pool has bought only a picture license not included the original commentary. This means, the commentators will be Thai (only). TrueVisions has bought a license from TV Pool; there will be only Thai commentators as well.'

Thanks for the comments / advice todate

I did try the links suggested to try to get an internet english commentry to use during the matches.

Best I could do was a video/audio feed which was a minute behind the True Vision HD french open coverage.

I think this is due to the video so I think just a live audio feed maybe the answer.

Noted the comments on BBC 5, so we cannot rely on this.

If anyone can find a audio internet feed only for the 2010 World cup most appreciated

Thanks

Just received this answer to my enquiry with TrueVisions so don't hold your breath

'Please allow us to inform you that The World cup matches have been secured the sole right by TV Pool (Thai TV) here in Thailand not TrueVisions. You will be able to watch it on Thai Free TV. However, we also regret to inform you that TV Pool has bought only a picture license not included the original commentary. This means, the commentators will be Thai (only). TrueVisions has bought a license from TV Pool; there will be only Thai commentators as well.'

Hello,

BBC radio 5 live are covering every game of the world cup live.

To get commentary just go to the BBC website and navigate to radio then click on the 5 live icon.

The only problem with the commentary is that it is about 1-2 seconds ahead of the television pictures.

To overcome this annoyance I am watching pictures from CCTV which is almost in sync.

Yes! It's infuriating that the Radio5Live commentary has now been blocked. They were obviously teasing us.

If this hasn't already been posted, it explains why getting an English language commentary in Thailand will be difficult. Blame FIFA.

I'd be really interested to know whether the big sports bars like Gullivers have managed it.

TrueVisions explains lack of English commentary

In response to Graham Doven's letter of June 9 regarding the lack of English commentary for the upcoming World Cup, TrueVisions would like to outline reasons for this situation. Unfortunately, TrueVisions is not able to provide an English-language commentary because, as the purchaser of the coverage from the local license holder, RS International Broadcasting and Sports Co Ltd, such service is not on offer.

In the past, TrueVisions had never broadcast the World Cup, as it has always been carried on free TV. However, as we have just launched our high definition service, TrueVisions believes it is good timing to be the sub-broadcasting licensee for the HD signal. Football fans can always watch the tournament on free TV but we wish to provide a crystal clear HD signal to our subscribers.

It is not a matter of TrueVisions paying extra for English commentary, but because that service is not available for us to purchase from the licence holder. TrueVisions' is only the sub-broadcasting licensee for the high definition signal.

This is not the fault of RS International Broadcasting but is due to restrictions by the original provider of the World Cup, Fifa, which is not allowing English commentary in Thailand due to the high broadcast piracy problem among neighbouring countries.

However, suggestions will be considered for the improvement of our service in the future.

Chulathai Saligupta

Senior Manager: Sports Programming TrueVisions

Edited by brewsterbudgen

was listening to 5 live upto about 25 mins into the second half and then got an announcement that due to rights restrictions there would be no further coverage,anyone else had this?

yes i did! dam_n annoying as i had worked out how to delay the 5 live commentary using two laptops and a audio cable (and radio delay software) i had the perfect set up and then it cuts out...will it be like this for all the games....arrrgh

Well I found an internet audio feed, but it will be more than a minute delay most likely and it's American.

2010 FIFA World Cup Coverage on 710 ESPN - ESPN Los Angeles is the schedule...

And it doesn't work! All I get is some American rubbish called The Herd.

It works here, although the time delay is a minute and a half from the Thai TV video. But the game didn't start until 9 PM Thai Standard Time. You tuned in at 2 PM TSD... It wasn't on then. I'm just watching in Thai. I know what's going on, no one needs to tell me. The times on the schedule were EDT, Eastern Daylight Time. TSD minus 11 hours. Hope that helps...

Well I found an internet audio feed, but it will be more than a minute delay most likely and it's American.

2010 FIFA World Cup Coverage on 710 ESPN - ESPN Los Angeles is the schedule...

And it doesn't work! All I get is some American rubbish called The Herd.

It works here, although the time delay is a minute and a half from the Thai TV video. But the game didn't start until 9 PM Thai Standard Time. You tuned in at 2 PM TSD... It wasn't on then. I'm just watching in Thai. I know what's going on, no one needs to tell me. The times on the schedule were EDT, Eastern Daylight Time. TSD minus 11 hours. Hope that helps...

Well pissed off!

The thai TV commentary is so so so without any atmosphere as they are stuck in bangkok and the sounds from the stadium are cut to almost silent. I would have thought the thai football fanatics would have complained about this. Probably used to this and know no better :-(

:):D:D:D

Edited by jflundy

How have you got the audio feed from ESPN? I have just been to their website, but if you are not using an affiliated ISP you dont seem to be able to do it?

This is so infuriating! Aaaaaaaagh!

Having asked earlier for links to listen to English commentary I've been suggested to use the following which I will try tonight;

http://www.iraqgoals.net/ this one has good picture feed as well I've been told

SBS Radio

so just turn off sound on TV and listen through computer. If you have home theater system or music system, get a lead from computer and plug into aux and you are there.

Edited by VictorMeldrewBKK

For the last world cup in 2006 I watched the games on Thai TV with the sound turned down then connected over the internet with a friend in the UK via skype and had him put his PC microphone near his TV so I could hear the UK commentary through my laptop. We found that if he had his TV on a terrestrial channel there was a picture/sound sync problem, however if he watched the game in the UK via his Sky box the 'built in digital delay' that you get with all satelite digital channels meant the picture/sound sync problems virtually disappeared and, although not always 100%, it was certainly accurate enough not to spoil my viewing.

I heard Australia was playing in the world cup. I didn't even know Australia had a local competition I guess that is why there is no media coverage of this game in Aust. Any way thought I would have a look. Talk about a game that gives you a headache and puts you to sleep. What is with the constant buzzing sounds like I was stuck in a bee hive or on an airport tarmat. Then the game absolutely most boring thing I had ever seen it is like watching paint dry. A very slow game lacking action or entertainment but I guess some people are easily amused. No wonder we don't have it in Australia

Having asked earlier for links to listen to English commentary I've been suggested to use the following which I will try tonight;

http://www.iraqgoals.net/ this one has good picture feed as well I've been told

SBS Radio

so just turn off sound on TV and listen through computer. If you have home theater system or music system, get a lead from computer and plug into aux and you are there.

Unfortunately I tried this last night and got nowhere. I've replied to those who gave me these tips for more info and will update if successful. 

Yes! It's infuriating that the Radio5Live commentary has now been blocked. They were obviously teasing us.

If this hasn't already been posted, it explains why getting an English language commentary in Thailand will be difficult. Blame FIFA.

I'd be really interested to know whether the big sports bars like Gullivers have managed it.

In response to Graham Doven's letter of June 9 regarding the lack of English commentary for the upcoming World Cup, TrueVisions would like to outline reasons for this situation. Unfortunately, TrueVisions is not able to provide an English-language commentary because, as the purchaser of the coverage from the local license holder, RS International Broadcasting and Sports Co Ltd, such service is not on offer.

In the past, TrueVisions had never broadcast the World Cup, as it has always been carried on free TV. However, as we have just launched our high definition service, TrueVisions believes it is good timing to be the sub-broadcasting licensee for the HD signal. Football fans can always watch the tournament on free TV but we wish to provide a crystal clear HD signal to our subscribers.

It is not a matter of TrueVisions paying extra for English commentary, but because that service is not available for us to purchase from the licence holder. TrueVisions' is only the sub-broadcasting licensee for the high definition signal.

This is not the fault of RS International Broadcasting but is due to restrictions by the original provider of the World Cup, Fifa, which is not allowing English commentary in Thailand due to the high broadcast piracy problem among neighbouring countries.

However, suggestions will be considered for the improvement of our service in the future.

Chulathai Saligupta

"This is not the fault of RS International Broadcasting but is due to restrictions by the original provider of the World Cup, Fifa, which is not allowing English commentary in Thailand due to the high broadcast piracy problem among neighbouring countries." We see. So Fifa's position is that there are blocking the English commentary to combat the problem of neighboring countries pirated the broadcast. So they are saying no body would want the coverage without commentary. And of course, they are correct.

What is troubling about True Visions corporate-speak is that they knew this was going to be a problem for their English speaking subscribers. Had they announced this early on, say a week or two in advance, we wouldn't be scrambling around for an alternative audio feed. If they had more concern about their subscribers rather than assigning right or wrong to this issue, they wouldn't be having the PR problem they are having yet again.

Chulathai Saligupta

"This is not the fault of RS International Broadcasting but is due to restrictions by the original provider of the World Cup, Fifa, which is not allowing English commentary in Thailand due to the high broadcast piracy problem among neighbouring countries." We see. So Fifa's position is that there are blocking the English commentary to combat the problem of neighboring countries pirated the broadcast. So they are saying no body would want the coverage without commentary. And of course, they are correct.

What is troubling about True Visions corporate-speak is that they knew this was going to be a problem for their English speaking subscribers. Had they announced this early on, say a week or two in advance, we wouldn't be scrambling around for an alternative audio feed. If they had more concern about their subscribers rather than assigning right or wrong to this issue, they wouldn't be having the PR problem they are having yet again.

Total b*llocks if you ask me, Malaysia and even Myammar has commentary in English so are they not worried about being pirated from these countries :).