Went into my local Kasikorn bank today and asked for an application for a credit card...I was politely refused as the banks records show (and are correct) that I am a student on an ED visa and dont have an income. I do have a debit card with the KK bank and have lived in Thailand for 9 months minimum balance in this a/c has been 300k of THB throughout my 8 months here...I pointed this out but still no go.

The reason for my credit card request was to have the ability to purchase items online...airtickets etc etc....it wasnt as if I asked for a 1 million baht credit facility at the KK bank.

The stupid part of this is that my classroom attendance is 2 days per week for 3 hours per day...leaving me with a heap of spare time in which to be able to participate in some employment...but my ED visa is clearly marked including my passport that employment is prohibited.

In my experience elsewhere most students are hard at work following their class lessons earning those extra $.

By the way I am 57 years of age and have a genuine interest in learning the Thai language hence my attendance at the school, and am certainly not at the language school for an easy way out on visa extensions.

The KK bank informed me that my debit card can only be used for ATM withdrawals...and this appears to be the case. I have tried to purchase items on the internet with the debit card details and my password but these transactions simply dont proceed

1. Does anyone know of a bank that would issue me with a credit card (subject of course to their conditions)

2. Is it correct that a KK bank debit card can only be used ATM withdrawals or have I been "blocked" behind the scenes in the banks system viz-a-viz my student visa ED status.

Appreciate some thoughts answers from other folk...thankyou

You need to go back to the Kasikorn bank and ask for a K-web shopping card.

This is a virtual card (you do not receive a physical piece of plastic) which is backed by visa and you can use only on line.

It lets you purchase goods and services on line only. It is not actually a credit card, but an on-line debit card

If you have Internet banking you can also apply for this card on-line

This is a virtual card (you do not receive a physical piece of plastic) which is backed by visa and you can use only on line.

It lets you purchase goods and services on line only. It is not actually a credit card, but an on-line debit card

Thankyou for the above info....no mention of the K-Web card to me at the KK bank by the "Customer Service" people...amazing....

Thankyou for the above info....no mention of the K-Web card to me at the KK bank by the "Customer Service" people...amazing....

That is because you asked about a credit card and not about Internet shopping TIT :)

Kasikorn do a card which you can use online. You first have to "load" it with some cash then use it online. It is very useful for online shopping as you only need to put the amount on it that you want to spend and no-one can use it fraudulently to run up a big debt.

As for a Thai bank giving some foreigners a credit card, I can understand their reluctance. The numbers of people who would leave without paying their debts..............

Bangkok Bank's B1st Debit Card can be used for on-line shopping.

If you have an older B1st card that doesn't have the VCC code on the back, you can go to Bangkok Bank and get it replaced for a card that does have the code at no charge.

With the B1st Debit Card, I receive an SMS message on my mobile phone when my account is debited other than by an ATM. Works great since you don't receive a statement like with a credit card.

I've also used the B1st Debit Card to set-up a Thai PayPal account.

By the way I am 57 years of age and have a genuine interest in learning the Thai language hence my attendance at the school, and am certainly not at the language school for an easy way out on visa extensions.

As for working there is nothing preventing you finding work if you want. But you can not use that visa for a work permit. You do not need an ED visa in order to study.

Kasikorn do a card which you can use online. You first have to "load" it with some cash then use it online. It is very useful for online shopping as you only need to put the amount on it that you want to spend and no-one can use it fraudulently to run up a big debt.

As for a Thai bank giving some foreigners a credit card, I can understand their reluctance. The numbers of people who would leave without paying their debts..............

With respect, I don't think you 'load' the card (a lá a pre-paid card) but rather link it to your account.

As a side note you can use a web card for Google Pay, opening a whole bunch of shopping options up. Have only seen one site refuse that payment...

Bangkok Bank's B1st Debit Card can be used for on-line shopping.

If you have an older B1st card that doesn't have the VCC code on the back, you can go to Bangkok Bank and get it replaced for a card that does have the code at no charge.

With the B1st Debit Card, I receive an SMS message on my mobile phone when my account is debited other than by an ATM. Works great since you don't receive a statement like with a credit card.

I've also used the B1st Debit Card to set-up a Thai PayPal account.

Yeap...agree...B1st Debit Card works good, to include items you buy at Lotus, Big C, HomePro, etc...etc..etc. You just need enough money in your account at the time of product/service buy; otherwise, the payment rejects since a debit card payment is based on immediate payment from a person's savings/checking account. Now if a person is looking to spread out payment over X-amount of time, then a debit card ain't going to work for them.

Sign up for kasikorn's cyber banking and you can issue yourself a web card for online shopping.

It's a good service, widely accepted and enrolled in verified by visa for extra security (which also helps it get accepted online from a thai ip address)

As dave_boo said, the card is linked to your account although how much of your balance is alloted as a "credit limit" is up to you.