Recommend Good Dentist?

deadgigi

Just go back a few pages [to Click this text for dentist thread link /Meadish] and you will find the thread I started.

The majority of Posters recomended Grace Dental Practice (someone kindly out theirwesite in as a link)

That's where I have started having treatment. NOT CHEAP but more professional and better equipment than I ever saw in England.

Been twice now, havn't touched me yet as there is so much to do they have been getting several diffent dentists with diffenent skills to check me out before they came up with a plan of action. (Did not charfe for this). Only paid 100 baht for an x-ray. That part IS cheap!

Good luck

TP

TP,

This is a new section built in an old hospital (forgot the name because never used it) and now this section is called "Chiang Mai Dental Hospital". I use the "Lanna" hospital but this time not only CM Dental were cheaper but I was better impressed. It is almost opposit the Chiang Mai museum on the super highway.

BTW, I paid 9,000 for that work.

Edited by boxig

Just an update to a recommendation I have made before - for Grace Dental Clinic. At that time I had only had intensive cleaning and whitening (very good in both cases).

Now I'm in the middle of a complex root canal and crown replacement treatment. The quality and service is faultless - I couldn't be more impressed and pleased. Yes, they are a little more expensive than some others, but they explain everything and give you options - e.g. choice of whether crown material should be high gold-content or not. As they said to me: "if someone wants to spend the money and have the very best quality, he chooses this but the middle quality/price is certainly good enough for this work". I never get the impression that they are trying to sell me a more expensive treatment than I need and I trust them 100% - I think they realise that they have a very good reputation and they want to keep it.

They also have an amazing miniature digital camera that takes close-up pictures of the work in progress for their records and they can show you to discuss the treatment.

The OP mentioned "pain free". Having had pain problems during treatment in the UK before, I can also say that Grace pay a lot of attention to this aspect and I have no problems at all.

If you are going to have a lot of work done, it's worthwhile to visit more than one and ask for them to describe what they propose to do and what the cost for each element will be.

Was at Grace for a filling that fell out yesterday, expensive U.S. dentist did the work.

600 Baht for the filling that matched the tooth color.

The digital camera/t.v. screen "picture", mentioned by Steve2UK, showed before and after in such grafic detail all questions were answered. I really love the women detists there. Dr. Korkoret, whose daughter is named Grace, is the founder and she is an associate professor of dentistry at CMU, as are many of here associates.

She just returned from the world dental association seminar in Las Vegas where she picked up all the latest techniques, a yearly trip for her.

I was concerned that she may try to "push" for a crown, her speciality, however, she said I didn't need one on that tooth.

When questioning the need for a cleaning, she said every year was a good frequency, I said it has been a year and a half, do I need one now, answer, her answer "you should get one every year", really didn't answer my question directly, so Thai.

Anyway, their cleaning is done by Periodontists, so more expensive, 1200 baht. I savd money a year ago by going to a "local" clinic where I payed 400 Batht, 100 baht over published Thai rate, and it was such an unpleasant experience, I look forward to my cleaning on July 6 at Grace.

Just an update to a recommendation I have made before - for Grace Dental Clinic. At that time I had only had intensive cleaning and whitening (very good in both cases).

Now I'm in the middle of a complex root canal and crown replacement treatment.

Steve,

What are they charging for the root canal and crown? I need that done real soon. Thanks.

Edited by wimpy

Now I'm in the middle of a complex root canal and crown replacement treatment.

Steve,

What are they charging for the root canal and crown? I need that done real soon. Thanks.

I'll have to double-check for you when I'm back there this evening; because we looked at a range of options for this treatment as well as the cost for a replacement filling and more extensive replacement bridgework on three other teeth, I can't recall the separate figure just now. Sounds like I'm a dental disaster, I know - but at least they're still mostly my own teeth :o

Steve,

What are they charging for the root canal and crown?  I need that done real soon.  Thanks.

OK, the cost for my root canal, post and crown (medium as opposed to high gold content) comes to 23,000. Your mileage may vary and they already had my x-rays to hand. Hope that helps.

This evening's session (ceramic filling) went as smoothly as the others. Just beginning to wonder why I'm also paying rent for an apartment when I spend so much time on my back at Grace..... :o

When questioning the need for a cleaning, she said every year was a good frequency, I said it has been a year and a half, do I need one now, answer, her answer "you should get one every year", really didn't answer my question directly, so Thai.

The reply the dentist gave doesn't have to do with her being Thai. If you had been using a little bit intelligence, there would have been no need to ask her : "do I need one now"...

Grace Dental gets my vote. Had a tooth guard made there that was heads and shoulders above the one made in the States (which broke). And when I got the bill, I thought they'd made a mistake -- much less than Stateside. Cleaning was very thorough; report that some of my fillings would need to be replaced 'in the future' (this I knew from my last Stateside dentist visit) -- no pressure to do replacement work now. Professional, clean facility. Adequate parking.

fr11:  If you had been using a little intelligence, you would have discerned the differrence between what is a good practice, which was the dentist's advice, and my question regarding actual need.

Being defeated is hard, having the courage to admit being defeated is apparently even harder for you...

Hello.

I use Chiangmai Dental Hospital, and have used it for the past 10 years

First of all, they are very polite, and it is very comfortable.

Even when i told I was scared for dentists, he only laughed and said "everyone is".

So the problem was over.

The boss there (Dr. Pichit Kotrajarus) is a man around 60 years old, with a lot of experience and a good education from Boston, just take a look at his namecard.

For the crown, they charge 7000 B, pin-tooth is 1500.

Last time, I did a lot of work there, including 5 crowns. I was there maybe 10 times, they check and recheck to see that everything fits. Total around 40.000 B.

Adress is 84/3 Chiangmai-Lampang Rd

Tel. 053 411150 / 1, you need to book in advance.

I highly recommend that place, free of pain!

Good luck.

Grace Dental gets my vote. Had a tooth guard made there that was heads and shoulders above the one made in the States (which broke). And when I got the bill, I thought they'd made a mistake -- much less than Stateside. Cleaning was very thorough; report that some of my fillings would need to be replaced 'in the future' (this I knew from my last Stateside dentist visit) -- no pressure to do replacement work now. Professional, clean facility. Adequate parking.

It has been 2 years since I've been to Grace, but I still fondly remember the excellent chairside manner and the incredible attention from a team of expert dentists (for both myself and many visits for my Thai GF). Also the equiptment was highest standards. Price-wise they were only about 10% to 20% above other good dentists and dental clinics that I investigated in Chiang Mai. I tend to be a bit keeneow, but in this case found that Dr. Korakot's standards were well worth the small difference.

After being a Ram 1 Dental patient tried to follow advice here and checked out Grace.

The Wife and I both had cleaning took about 1 hour each total was 2600 baht.

They are at high western standards in my Opinion.

very pleased with grace versus my 500 baht cleaning at Ram.

I am going back to get an implant of a lost tooth a few years back so that will be the ultimate test!!!

After being a Ram 1 Dental patient tried to follow advice here and checked out Grace.

The Wife and I both had cleaning took about 1 hour each total was  2600 baht.

They are at high western standards in my Opinion.

very pleased with grace versus my 500 baht cleaning at Ram.

I am going back to get an implant of a lost tooth a few years back so that will be the ultimate test!!!

In an earlier thread Sabaijai recommeded Kitcha dental clinic on Chang Loh Rd at least for cleaning. It seems worth checking out as it was only 400 baht at that time and he felt he got a better quality cleaning than he got at Grace as well. also Dentaland comes highly recommended. I think I will visit these various clinics next time I am in town, though as I said earlier, I have been very happy with Grace (though I seem to recall that I passed on having a cleaning done while there as it did seem pricy at the time).

In an earlier thread Sabaijai recommeded Kitcha dental clinic on Chang Loh Rd at least for cleaning.  It seems worth checking out as it was only 400 baht at that time and he felt he got a better quality cleaning than he got at Grace as well.  also Dentaland comes highly recommended.  I think I will visit these various clinics next time I am in town, though as I said earlier, I have been very happy with Grace (though I seem to recall that I passed on having a cleaning done while there as it did seem pricy at the time).

I recently did a crown and cleaning at Kitcha, which was fine. While getting that done I complained about sensitivity in an older crown. He xrayed it and said that it was infected and I would need to do a root canal if it started to hurt.

Well, that side of my mouth started to hurt so I gave Grace a try. First off, she found two huge areas of decay on teeth adjacent to the old crown that Kitcha totally missed. How, is a mystery to me. These are what were causing the discomfort. She also said the old crown is not infected but should be replaced. She said there is no way that you could tell if it was infected by looking at an xray, since it is soft tissue and won't show up!

Needless to say, I'm not real happy with Dr. Kitcha. So far my experience at Grace has been perfect. Yeah, she costs a bit more, but this is one of those cases where you actually get what you pay for. IMHO

It has been 2 years since I've been to Grace, but I still fondly remember the excellent chairside manner and the incredible attention from a team of expert dentists (for both myself and many visits for my Thai GF). Also the equiptment was highest standards. Price-wise they were only about 10% to 20% above other good dentists and dental clinics that I investigated in Chiang Mai. I tend to be a bit keeneow, but in this case found that Dr. Korakot's standards were well worth the small difference.

I think 10-20% underestimates the cost differences, but then I suppose it depends on who you're comparing them to. I've only tried Grace once (about a month and a half ago), and was charged roughly three times what the same treatment (scaling) cost at my regular dentist (Kitcha Clinic, Chang Loh Rd), and not quite as good. Beautiful offices though, and a huge staff.

I think 10-20% underestimates the cost differences, but then I suppose it depends on who you're comparing them to. I've only tried Grace once (about a month and a half ago), and was charged roughly three times what the same treatment (scaling) cost at my regular dentist (Kitcha Clinic, Chang Loh Rd), and not quite as good. Beautiful offices though, and a huge staff.

Also depends on which treatments. Mainly I was checking root canals and basic fillings. I had many mercury fillings removed and replaced with composite. Excellent work and color matching. They all look like real teeth now and I have had no trouble in the 2 years since then. The prices on these were not much more or same or less than a few other clinics I was referred to and checked out before choosing Grace.

Also as someone mentioned previously they did not charge for evaluation and xray was only 100, which is about as inexpensive as it gets.

They also replaced the back half of a front tooth that had sheared off which I previously had to have fixed for an outrageous amount in the US and which came off within one year. No problems in 2 years now since it was done at Grace.

I wish I could remember the exact price I paid for the filling removal and replacement but in 2 years the price may have risen anyway.

In an earlier thread Sabaijai recommeded Kitcha dental clinic on Chang Loh Rd at least for cleaning.  It seems worth checking out as it was only 400 baht at that time and he felt he got a better quality cleaning than he got at Grace as well.  also Dentaland comes highly recommended.  I think I will visit these various clinics next time I am in town, though as I said earlier, I have been very happy with Grace (though I seem to recall that I passed on having a cleaning done while there as it did seem pricy at the time).

I recently did a crown and cleaning at Kitcha, which was fine. While getting that done I complained about sensitivity in an older crown. He xrayed it and said that it was infected and I would need to do a root canal if it started to hurt.

Well, that side of my mouth started to hurt so I gave Grace a try. First off, she found two huge areas of decay on teeth adjacent to the old crown that Kitcha totally missed. How, is a mystery to me. These are what were causing the discomfort. She also said the old crown is not infected but should be replaced. She said there is no way that you could tell if it was infected by looking at an xray, since it is soft tissue and won't show up!

Needless to say, I'm not real happy with Dr. Kitcha. So far my experience at Grace has been perfect. Yeah, she costs a bit more, but this is one of those cases where you actually get what you pay for. IMHO

Wimpy - glad that you're happy with the Grace experience. Since the time you asked me about the cost of my root canal and crown work, I've been even more impressed with their approach. I was short of time during my trip to Chiang Mai and Grace did everything possible to sort out infection in my root canal before I had to leave; by my count, they had me in for three additional sessions at nearly an hour each to check and insert fresh antibiotic. At the end, they still weren't happy to fit the final crown and I have a temporary one until I'm back in CM in a couple of months. No extra charge for any of this. To my mind, this is exemplary attention to detail and to doing what's right for the patient.

Meanwhile, a perfect major ceramic filling (I can't see the join) and a regular one - both immaculately carried out.

Seeker108 - I tried e-mailing Fortune with a general query to get an idea of costs for this work and got a confusing reply back; basically, it just told me US$250 (10,000 baht) per tooth. I tried to clarify this (after all, fillings wouldn't cost the same as crowns?) and was none the wiser with the second answer. Impressive website but I wasn't filled with confidence. So I went with Grace - and I will again for a 3-tooth bridge that needs replacing.

I have only found three things in Thailand that I can refer to as "world class" and one of them is Grace.

I was lucky to find Dr. Korakit the first time and her crown work and filling repair are excellent.

I did "wander" when she quoted 1300 Baaht for the cleaning, however, she did explain only dentists are allowed to go into a patients mouth in Thailand and that is why cleaning costs as much as in the U.S. when it is done by a technician.

I went to my Thai's dental clinic and it appeared in all respects to be of good quality, however, when the dentist did the cleaning it felt like he had his foot in my mouth to hold down my jaw for access and I was drenched with water spray when he finished. He did use untra-sound so I am at a loss as to why it was so stressful. I paid 400, when thep posted price was 300, explanation "Falang" price.

Suffice to say I have a cleaning scheduled for July 6th at Grace at 1300 Baht. (Unrelated: bought the latest fax, voice answering digital chordless Panasonic machine this week and paid 7600 Baht with discount, U.S. discount price on the web is $99. Japanese "fair trade" practices in full force, fair trading is illlegal in the U.S., thus Italian products are cheaper in the U.S. than in Italy. Distribution and social welfare costs, passed on to the consumer, are much higher in Italy)

By the way, Grace,s digital pencil camera with TV display is the greatest and you can see exactly what she will repair and how well she did it. Absolute complete transparency, a real joy at no extra cost. Likewise, patients don't pay directly for her annual trips to the U.S. dental seminars to keep abreast of the latest techniques. I wonder, as a clinical professor of dentistry at CMU, whether the University pays for her U.S. trips?

Edited by ProThaiExpat