'supposedly' Spayed Dog Not Spayed?

I'm a little concerned as a female dog that I adopted (that has supposedly) been spayed, bleeds occasionally on the bed at night (I wouldn't notice otherwise). I'd put it down to cuts or something, even though I couldn't see any cuts.

But, to add to my concerns, my one (un-neutered) dog developed a 'crush' on her over the last few days (after the bleeding on the bed was far worse than normal)!

Is it possible for a spaying op not to work? I thought they'd taken out all the ovaries etc.

Its possible they took out the uterus and not the ovaries... and if so, your dog will still go in heat (sorry for you and even sorrier for your dog) but wont' be able to get pregnant. Best take it to another vet for a consult asap.

Its possible they took out the uterus and not the ovaries... and if so, your dog will still go in heat (sorry for you and even sorrier for your dog) but wont' be able to get pregnant. Best take it to another vet for a consult asap.

Thanks - I'll do that. Good to know that she can't get pregnant.

I feel sorry for my 'dog' too - one of these days I'd like to get a whippet puppy fathered by him, but am pretty sure he'll not get it right!

or reveresed. did an ovarectomy but kept the uterus. one vet of the four i worked with did this consistenly with cats, causing trauma to me and the children of the owners of one cat when she went in to premature labour and lost the kittens she had because he didnt check first before doing surgery. (he does some wierd overectomy from the two sides of the cat so no post op problems except for ptential uterus problems).

check for pyometra also... any kind of vaginal bleeding will get a male dog 'going'. also after a bitch gives birth, if she has an infection, etc. any vaginal secretions at all will get a male sniffing and snorfing around a female.

coud also be stricly vaginal only or even a rip on the vulval lips. my lilee had a type of grass seed common here 'crawl' thru the skin next to her vaginal opening and she had sweling and bleeding (last year when i was in thailand for a visit. i came back to a dog with a ahorrible infection), it took two of us to hold her down while i probed and poked to finally see that the seed had caused a major infection very close to her vulva, with bleeding and discharge near it, and our male was acting as if she was in heat. (the seed btw is a very common cause of inner ear, foot pad, and genital infections as they work their way in and are impossible to remove w/o surgery.)

bina

israel