Nature

soohk

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe just over ISO 800?

You could try the Photoshop plug-in Topaz DeNoise to reduce the grain, can make miracles

I don't need to. I have plenty of similar photos and HD video. I studied these sunbirds for 6 weeks when they took to nesting in my kaffir lime tree at my Kan house.

But yes. ISO 3200. Needed it as was shot at 1/1000s on a Nikon D300 with an old Nikon 500mm F8 mirror lens. But it's the shot that matters, not necessarily the quality although I try for both.

Attached photo same speed/iso.

post-111239-040803700 1281883315_thumb.j

Maybe just over ISO 800?

You could try the Photoshop plug-in Topaz DeNoise to reduce the grain, can make miracles

I don't need to. I have plenty of similar photos and HD video. I studied these sunbirds for 6 weeks when they took to nesting in my kaffir lime tree at my Kan house.

But yes. ISO 3200. Needed it as was shot at 1/1000s on a Nikon D300 with an old Nikon 500mm F8 mirror lens. But it's the shot that matters, not necessarily the quality although I try for both.

Attached photo same speed/iso.

Please look at this a simply a sugesstion to assist you in taking very good pictures to the next level. You know how to use a camera and handle it with great skill.

I have done a 1 minute adjustment of your image to show how software may allow your creative instints a wider latitude. As this is a small JPEG picture you could expect greater freedom and creativity using a RAW file from the camera instead.

Editing with RAW files allows you to readjust the exposure from -2 to +1 stops as a rough guide. Digital sensors lose detail in the highlights much earlier than the shadows so it is normally better to slightly underexpose than overexpose. The white feathers are slightly overexposed by about 1/2 stop. So with the RAW file you could have shot at ISO 1000 to reduce the sensor noise and still retain a correctly exposed image via software.

In Adobe Camera RAW I underexposed the image by .25 stop and added some recovery to the highlights to recover some detail. Finally I added a little Luminance Noise Reduction.

post-17809-040397400 1281980435_thumb.jp

Please look at this a simply a sugesstion to assist you in taking very good pictures to the next level. You know how to use a camera and handle it with great skill.

I have done a 1 minute adjustment of your image to show how software may allow your creative instints a wider latitude. As this is a small JPEG picture you could expect greater freedom and creativity using a RAW file from the camera instead.

Editing with RAW files allows you to readjust the exposure from -2 to +1 stops as a rough guide. Digital sensors lose detail in the highlights much earlier than the shadows so it is normally better to slightly underexpose than overexpose. The white feathers are slightly overexposed by about 1/2 stop. So with the RAW file you could have shot at ISO 1000 to reduce the sensor noise and still retain a correctly exposed image via software.

In Adobe Camera RAW I underexposed the image by .25 stop and added some recovery to the highlights to recover some detail. Finally I added a little Luminance Noise Reduction.

Firstly you don't know how I took the picture apart from the basic info I chose to supply because I removed all the camera specific info before posting. The photos were perfectly exposed with exceedingly low contrast to preserve any detail I might want to work with later on. If I had wanted to present a perfect photograph I would have done so. It's simply a low res picture suitable for a forum. That's all it is. If you like it that's fine. If you hate it that's fine too. Van Gogh would have loved you telling him how to put more yellow on his canvas because his giant sun was lacking detail. Just before he bottled you with his flask of absinthe.

Firstly you don't know how I took the picture apart from the basic info I chose to supply because I removed all the camera specific info before posting. The photos were perfectly exposed with exceedingly low contrast to preserve any detail I might want to work with later on. If I had wanted to present a perfect photograph I would have done so. It's simply a low res picture suitable for a forum. That's all it is. If you like it that's fine. If you hate it that's fine too. Van Gogh would have loved you telling him how to put more yellow on his canvas because his giant sun was lacking detail. Just before he bottled you with his flask of absinthe.

Sorry but it was not intended to cause derrision of an excellant photographic example.

The information was only based on the forum image which had been edited in Photoshop 7. I was unaware that you are fully conversant with all methods and artistic processes and I therefore humbly retract everything.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Some people don't take criticism of ANY sort very well, and others don't know how to critisize without being offensive. Photo manipulation through computer art programs afterwards is an entirely different subject than just taking pictures with a camera. Today, we can change a picture entirely from what the camera originally took. 30 years ago, photographers didn't have that luxury and we were at the mercy of film developers... of which many ruined original pictures in the developing process.

I cut down the resolution and size of all my photos that I put on open forums. That is because I don't want the picture to be used elsewhere for commercial purposes. I'm more interested in the subject or the composition than the actual photo itself. I don't care if the picture isn't perfect or there is "noise" in the background.

• 3 months later...

I love all the butterflies there are in Thailand and take photos of them at every opportunity. The problem is getting them to hold still long enough for a photo.

Butterfly_2.sized.jpg

Too often the pictures area bit blurry because you've only got a milli-second to take the shot with a hand held camera.

Butterfly_3.sized.jpg

Doi_Suthep_trail_022.sized.jpg

And, butterflies often close their wings at rest and prevent you from seeing their beautiful markings. That is true for these lovely blue butterflies where only the dull outside of their wings show, unless they are flying.

Trail_butterflies.jpg

I'm particularly proud of this shot, made one hour ago (and chosen among twenty) of a simple fly on the young fruits of a palm tree.

Proud because it was a freehand shot and was nearly completely on focus, not easy with a DSRL with an heavy 100 mm with an ring flash and the subject loves to move around the branch.

EXIF: 1/40 at f11 ISO 400, 10% cropped and little color balanced.

5265968946_7aea94948f_z.jpg

Fly by angiud, on Flickr

Archived