Phuket Film Festival Shortens Run

scott_cos

Ladies and Gentlemen,

While inclement weather can be partially to blame, attendance at Festival movies has been sparse. It is very embarrassing for our Festival VIP directors and actors and actresses to see empty "houses" when their movies are screened.

Future sales of tickets have not been much better EXCEPT for Alternative Lifestyle Day (6/9) where our ALD organizers have worked hard to sell tickets and fill the movie theaters.

Also well sold are Meet the Directors and Bitter/Sweet.

In order for the Phuket Film Festival to cut losses, we are closing down some days and reorganizing our schedule.

PLEASE NOTE: The Festival IS NOT canceled we are just shortening our run from 10 days to 6 days.

Please check our website by the end of Monday for the new schedule.

We apologize for this but we have done everything possible to publicize and get the word out about the Festival and our movies.

Effective immediately, the following day's movies have been canceled at the Coliseum Cineplex Theater in Phuket Town.

Monday

Tuesday

Thursday

Sunday

Special events such as Meet the Directors at Cape Yamu, Bitter/Sweet screening and Reception will go on as scheduled.

Additionally, the world premiere screening of Yuthlert Sippapak's Friday Killer may be on Thursday, June 10 at a remote location. We will post additional information shortly.

Last movies the Festival will run will be on Saturday, June 12.

We once again apologize for the inconvenience

I feel it has more to do with location. If it was at Central or Jungceylon, both with undercover parking, it would have been easier to sell tickets.

You may be correct. Location is a factor however SFX wanted 320,00 B for rental of their auditoriums plus money for use of their lobby space. Couple that with equipment rental bill of 368,000 B and you have almost 700,000 B expenditure which means approximately 5,800 B (very rough estimate) tickets needed to be sold. NOT counting other monies spent for Gala etc.

Remember, we have only 300,000 grant from Ministry of Culture - rest we had hoped to raise in ticket sales to break even. Intent was never to "make money".

But we are troubled by something else. I can not tell you the number of people who have called, tried to "sneak in" (by giving excuse they have a "pass" - hey dummies we issued the pass - we know who has and does not) etc. "Cheap Charlies" I guess they are called. We are bothered by that attitude.

This holds for the Phuket Soi Dog Association as well who was supposed to work with us in promoting the Festival as we were donating auditorium, spending Festival money on equipment to play their film. Instead, they promoted their screening as stand alone only giving marginal nod to Festival movies and other events. (Yes they sent out a couple of email with Phuket Film Festival logo on it but also posted notices around town pushing only their screening with absolutely NO acknowledgment they were part of the Festival.)

In comparison, our Alternative Lifestyle partners have helped to sell nearly 100 tickets for movies. They embraced the Festival and used it as way of getting their community to come out to the Festival. (sorry, no pun intended).

PLEASE do support the remaining films and events of the Festival:

Today, 2pm screening "3 Idiots" which just the other day won top honors at the International Indian Film Awards (IIFA).

Tonight at Cape Yamu, Meet the Directors with Darnell Martin- f&B reception and screening of her movie "Cadillac Records".

Wednesday, Alternative Lifestyle Movies - screening venue to be announced with after party at Sofia Bar in Phuket Town.

Friday, Thailand premiere of "Bitter/Sweet" ( screening 7:00 pm at the Coliseum in Phuket Town) and reception with MANY of the film's stars at Vijitt Resort. Admission to the reception with movie ticket stub only.

Saturday full day of movies at the Coliseum Phuket Town

Sunday, World Premiere of Yuthlert Sippapak's Friday Killer at StereoLab in Surin 6:30 pm - please everyone turn out and meet and "party" with Yuthlert.

Thanks folks

I feel it has more to do with location. If it was at Central or Jungceylon, both with undercover parking, it would have been easier to sell tickets.

100% agreed..

The old cinema in Phuket town ?? Parking around Robinson ?? Really unappealing.

Yes, we hear you loud and strong and in fact going into the Festival we knew venue was not optimum. However to be gouged by SFX on rental of auditorium did not play well with us either. AND to top it off, Central Festival refused sponsorship/partnership so we went with downtown location.

We learned the hard way.

But some, good news, "Do Elephants Prey", UK movie will rejoin our line up on Saturday, June 12 screening at the Green Man in Rawi at 7:00 pm.

Everyone loved the Green Man the other evening and thanks to Howard and Nui for all their assistance and hospitality.

Tickets on sale that evening at the door and at the Coliseum, Phuket Town.

There's a surprise.

It wasn't marketed well at all, I remember hearing the organisers griping that the government weren't giving them enough money which seemed to be a strange way to start what is after all a commercial enterprise. I was unaware that it had even started and I run a home cinema company here in Phuket so would have been very interested.

Scott_Cos - You seem to be laying the blame on everyone else but seeing as you are the organiser I woulkd think it lays at your door rather than the Soi Dog foundation, Phuket Gazette, Central or anyone else you seem to have palmed the blame off on.

I feel sorry for those people invited to screen movies, coming all this way to have their movies cut from the line-up, I think it will be pretty hard for the festival to continue in coming years without a massive rethink, perhaps it should be fully funded by the government/tourism authorities and free entry.

There's a surprise.

It wasn't marketed well at all, I remember hearing the organisers griping that the government weren't giving them enough money which seemed to be a strange way to start what is after all a commercial enterprise. I was unaware that it had even started and I run a home cinema company here in Phuket so would have been very interested.

Scott_Cos - You seem to be laying the blame on everyone else but seeing as you are the organiser I woulkd think it lays at your door rather than the Soi Dog foundation, Phuket Gazette, Central or anyone else you seem to have palmed the blame off on.

I feel sorry for those people invited to screen movies, coming all this way to have their movies cut from the line-up, I think it will be pretty hard for the festival to continue in coming years without a massive rethink, perhaps it should be fully funded by the government/tourism authorities and free entry.

You're right, Benjie. This festival has had a very rocky history. When it bombed in 2007, the organizer blamed SFX at Jungceylon for all the problems. Last year, when no one was interested in going and films were disappearing from the 'promised' list at an alarming rate, he simply cancelled the festival at the last minute, blaming the protests at the ASEAN meeting in Pattaya, 500 km away from Phuket, for the cancellation :) And now he's blaming everyone in sight – SFX Jungceylon, SFX Central (for being to expensive), Soi Dogs, Gazette, and even a group of 'Cheap Charlies' (for trying to 'sneak in' to the theatre without proper tickets.

For a film festival to work in Phuket, it needs 1) a new and more organised organiser; 2) a better location; 3) less hype and more substance.

blaming the protests at the ASEAN meeting in Pattaya, 500 km away from Phuket, for the cancellation :D

'ThaiMatters',

Thanks for the laugh :)

If it really Matters to you Thai, it is more like 1,150 km appox. away.

Oh, wow - that's really far. I just sorta wondered how the disruption of an ASEAN meeting soooooo farrrrrr away could have been cause to cancel a "film festival" in Phuket? Hmmmmm, maybe there was something else behind that? Ooopps, sorry, I have to go and get my umbrella now. It's raining in Mumbai.

Oh, wow - that's really far. I just sorta wondered how the disruption of an ASEAN meeting soooooo farrrrrr away could have been cause to cancel a "film festival" in Phuket? Hmmmmm, maybe there was something else behind that? Ooopps, sorry, I have to go and get my umbrella now. It's raining in Mumbai.

Could one help you? Please use this from Thailand

large.jpg

There's a surprise.

Without a doubt, ultimately it is our fault - our fault for thinking that a major international film festival would be able to run in Phuket. Next time, you try it.

Lets set the record straight. Cancellation last year had NOTHING to do with ASEAN meet in Pattaya.

It was the threat of an ASEAN meet in Phuket - with the Minister of Interior (at that time) standing with army in background stating that drastic measures would be put into effect on Phuket, roads closed and security checks in place, that caused the "scare". Reports that we were getting stated that expats living here were going to leave town during the meeting. That was the demographic we were aiming for in screening movies. Those scenes of army in the streets of Phuket also spooked some of the VIPs that were scheduled to come in.

Of course, that all went away when the government decided not to hold the meeting in Phuket. But by that time, it was too late - we had canceled.

Without a doubt, ultimately it is our fault - our fault for thinking that a major international film festival would be able to run in Phuket

Hi Scott, sorry to hear about your problems with the film festival.

However, I think you just said it yourself. Whilst the TAT and vested interests would like us to believe that Phuket is a major tourist destination and a mecca for film buffs and international jet-setters, the simple truth is that it is not! Yes, you have some nice yachts at the Boat Lagoon and many 5 star hotels. But the reputation of Phuket, the scammers, tuk-tuk/taxi mafia, increasing violence against foreigners, dirty beaches, corrupt police blah blah blah,

Basically, the odds were totally stacked against your venture from the start.

Simon

I don't think thats true Simon, plenty of people still come here and enjoy Phuket even with all that you mention, more and more each year.

TBH there was just no Buzz about it, no excitement, no build-up. Were there even any 'stars' over here for it?

Benjie, I tend to agree with you.

Scott, surely the us of the word "major" in describing this Film Festival is a bit over the top.

Let's face it, publicity has been poor but even with really good publicity would you expect a large turnout?

Tourists don't come to Phuket to go to the movies. Expats are plentiful but still make up a fairly small percentage of Phuket's overall population, particularly in the low season when many northern European go home. There's also tyhe location factor and the Phuket Town cinema location has been discussed already but bear in mind many of us are intrisically lazy and won't want to travel too far for any event. The choice of Cape Yamu for arguably the most commercial and interesting of your showings was poor, even though I have no doubt it was a beautiful place and I assume they gave you some much needed generous sponsorship.

Most expats are on the Western side from Rawai up to Kathu and you need to bear that in mind.

That leaves the rest of the island's population, the Thais. To get most of them interested you'd probably need movies with Ko Thii or Mum, Nong and Teng!

A low-key but better publicised small film festival would be fine but I think you have been a little optimistic.

Have a look at the threads regarding the Blues Festival and you'll find you are not alone in your struggle.

Benjie, I tend to agree with you.

Scott, surely the us of the word "major" in describing this Film Festival is a bit over the top.

Let's face it, publicity has been poor but even with really good publicity would you expect a large turnout?

Tourists don't come to Phuket to go to the movies. Expats are plentiful but still make up a fairly small percentage of Phuket's overall population, particularly in the low season when many northern European go home. There's also tyhe location factor and the Phuket Town cinema location has been discussed already but bear in mind many of us are intrisically lazy and won't want to travel too far for any event. The choice of Cape Yamu for arguably the most commercial and interesting of your showings was poor, even though I have no doubt it was a beautiful place and I assume they gave you some much needed generous sponsorship.

Most expats are on the Western side from Rawai up to Kathu and you need to bear that in mind.

That leaves the rest of the island's population, the Thais. To get most of them interested you'd probably need movies with Ko Thii or Mum, Nong and Teng!

A low-key but better publicized small film festival would be fine but I think you have been a little optimistic.

Have a look at the threads regarding the Blues Festival and you'll find you are not alone in your struggle.

First, thank you all for your comments. I have learned a lot about the Phuket community in the last week - lessons I should have learned prior to realizing the Festival. Many people have been making comparisons to the Blues Festival which I understand took 3 years to become successful.

The event on Tuesday night at Yamu was quite nice as Ian Henry and his staff went all out to put on a glamorous event for Darnell. Too bad the weather sullied everything a bit (especially since I forgot the film and had to run back to Rawi to get it only to find that the techs they had running their equipment were not the smartest and it took them a long time to hook everything up correctly).

Tonight's screening of the movie Bay Rung (Clash) was actually quite good as well. Small audience of about 10 but good interaction with director Le Than Son.

Friday's Bitter/Sweet premiere is starting to sell as are films on Saturday - so things are picking up. Maybe the controversy helped - who knows?

I do hope everyone turns out on Sunday night for our closing World Premiere of Yuthlert's "Friday Killer." If nothing more, we want a good party at the StereoLab in Surin to celebrate this Thai director's work.

blaming the protests at the ASEAN meeting in Pattaya, 500 km away from Phuket, for the cancellation :D

'ThaiMatters',

Thanks for the laugh :)

If it really Matters to you Thai, it is more like 1,150 km appox. away.

Ball park its 600 kms.

Check it on google earth.