Elite Card Draws 100 Members

george

Elite Card draws 100 members

Gala launch event set for Wednesday

BANGKOK: Defying scepticism over its chance of success, more than 100 foreigners including celebrities have signed up for a Thailand Elite Card.

On Wednesday, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will officially launch the privilege card campaign at Government House and present cards to the first 80 members, who are mostly millionaires and top global executives.

Paisit Kaenchan, acting president and director of Thailand Privilege Card Co, the operator of Thailand Elite Card and a subsidiary of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, said the company aimed to sell another 1,000 cards by the end of this year.

He said reaching the target was highly likely considering the response received in the soft launch.

Mr Thaksin initiated the Thailand Elite Card as a new approach to promote Thailand's tourism industry and earn a lump sum of foreign exchange.

The card, costing one million baht, targets VIPs from around the world. Lifetime membership entitles holders to a variety of benefits including special entry permits and fast-track immigration, discounts at selected golf courses, spas, hotels and hospitals.

Among the 80 cardholders are the chairman of the Japanese External Trade Organisation (Jetro) and members of the European Credit Committee.

Some 1,000 potential high-end tourists including football stars from Real Madrid have been approached about buying memberships. Superstar David Beckham had been mentioned as a candidate earlier.

Mr Paisit said that some of the players on the team had shown interest.

If the card continues to receive a strong response in the global market, the company may increase the fee and at the same time add more services.

Mr Paisit said that more golf courses, spas and hotels had signed up to be service providers for the Thailand Elite Card.

The company also plans to link up with the Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand to offer more services to card members. But Mr Paisit did not disclose any details, saying only that a press conference would be held soon.

--Bangkok Post 2003-11-15

This first batch could be 'give-aways'

What interests me is the company behind the 'Elite Card' - my guess - a wheeler-dealer who has given minority equity stakes to some of the powerbrokers in return for being allowed to market the card.

While in Indonesia, I was connected with one of these types, his version of the privilege card eventually collapsed

does anybody have a phone number to contact these these people, really like to see what they got to say, i'm not rich or anything just plain middle class family, but have a few mil to spend if its worth it, worst to the worst i'll just sell my Alfa Romeo and get a toyota instead.

I thought it was government run and not a private company as such.Lets face it does not have to be commercially viable as long as it pushes business and money towards certain establishments owned by certain people.The taxpayer will foot the bill if it dont work.

Regardless if you have money that alone is enough to get you discounts and perks, why do you need a card , your money is your bargaining card.

does anybody have a phone number to contact these these people, really like to see what they got to say, i'm not rich or anything just plain middle class family, but have a few mil to spend if its worth it, worst to the worst i'll just sell my Alfa Romeo and get a toyota instead.

www.thailandelite.com there you go tomy , someone just posted this in the visa section.

+66 2 652 8326 from Monday to Friday between 9.00-18.00

- Members are exempt from the Entry visa requirement, with automatic permission

to stay in Thailand for one (1) year. Members are also exempt from the requirement

to exit Thailand to renew their entry visa, but are subject to visa application fees

as stated in the Thai Immigration and Neutralization Service duty charges.

does this mean the card are only good for 1yr only

What interests me is the company behind the 'Elite Card' - my guess - a wheeler-dealer who has given minority equity stakes to some of the powerbrokers in return for being allowed to market the card.

I can't reveal my source. But you're correct.