Suspension Guy In Bangkok

JonnyF

I just bought a 2005 gsxr600 and rode it back from Chiang Mai to Bangkok this weekend. It's a great bike but the suspension is way too hard for me at the moment, the bike is set up for someone quite a bit heavier than me.

I'm pretty sure the spring rate is correct but I just need someone with experience with setting up suspension to adjust the preload, rebound etc for someone my weight. Pretty sure I won't need new parts - just someone with a few tools and some knowledge.

My first thoughts were K.Boy at Chicane or someone at Red Baron, but if anyone has any suggestions or can recommend a suspension guy in Bangkok (ideally but not necessarily around the Bangkapi area) can they let me know? Thanks a lot…

I just bought a 2005 gsxr600 and rode it back from Chiang Mai to Bangkok this weekend. It's a great bike but the suspension is way too hard for me at the moment, the bike is set up for someone quite a bit heavier than me.

I'm pretty sure the spring rate is correct but I just need someone with experience with setting up suspension to adjust the preload, rebound etc for someone my weight. Pretty sure I won't need new parts - just someone with a few tools and some knowledge.

My first thoughts were K.Boy at Chicane or someone at Red Baron, but if anyone has any suggestions or can recommend a suspension guy in Bangkok (ideally but not necessarily around the Bangkapi area) can they let me know? Thanks a lot…

Congrats on the new Gixxer! Sweet bike!

I'd second your suggestions or Khun Boy at Chicane Performance Moto and Red Baron (but might be tough there if you're not a member)

Dirtshop has a bunch of race bikes parked out back and some skilled tuners.

Graham at High Side Tours at BIRA knows GSX-R's like the back of his hand and has a good reputation for dialing in accurate suspension settings.

If the only complaint is "too hard" I'd try taking the pre-load down a few clicks first to see if that helps.

Check the recommended suspension settings for your bike at the SportRider site: http://www.sportrider.com/motorcycle_suspension/index.html

Recommended settings for your 2005 GSX-R 600:

front preload front rebound damping front comp. damping rear preload rear rebound damping rear comp. damping

GSX-R600 ('05) 3/05, 4/05 6 lines showing .75 turns out from full stiff 1.75 turns out from full stiff 10mm thread showing 2.5 turns out from full stiff 1.5 turns out from full stiff note: set for tube height to 400 above triple clamp

Thanks Tony - Graham at High Side Tours is an excellent suggestion, I've been meaning to have a look at Bira for a while anyway so I could kill 2 birds with one stone.

I considered just reducing the preload myself but I don't have a bike stand or a C spanner, plus I believe these settings can also affect the chain tension. I also want the front and rear rebound to be consistent and I don't trust myself to get it right. Basically I'm a mechanical retard and I'd rather pay someone who knows what they're doing :) .

Just revert back to Manufacturer's recommended setting. As per the manual.

Start from there.

Take notes.

Adjust one click at a time.

The best others can do for you is adjust the sag according to your weight.

How the suspension feels is down to you.

It's a personal thing.

I had my ex-bike setup perfect for me. But the cock that bought it thinks otherwise. So what works for others may not work for you.

I had my ex-bike setup perfect for me. But the cock that bought it thinks otherwise. So what works for others may not work for you.

Didn't you mean to say SOFTCOCK cheesy.gif

I didnt realise you bought TM's old ride. :D

:) i made a funny, but i fear the comeback :D

OP, Do as TM says & make sure you keep notes, its easy to get confused elsewise. Nobody can tell you how you would like the suspension, its up to you to experience the setting and adjust it accordingly.

I take it you are happy with the front end? (forks).

Edited by neverdie

I didnt realise you bought TM's old ride. :)

No no- not me- a different softcock bought TM's Ninja...

0816MOONIN.JPG

sick.gif

OP, Do as TM says & make sure you keep notes, its easy to get confused elsewise. Nobody can tell you how you would like the suspension, its up to you to experience the setting and adjust it accordingly.

No the front end is the same, it's been set up properly but for someone 20 kgs heavier than me, so the front and back have virtually no sag when I get on the bike, maybe half an inch or so when an inch and a half would be better.

I could do it gradually over a period of days/weeks but i want to get it as close as possible as quickly as possible so I can start to enjoy the bike more. The engine and gearbox are fantastic, just need to get the suspension close and then I'll make the fine adjustments myself if needs be.

No the front end is the same, it's been set up properly but for someone 20 kgs heavier than me, so the front and back have virtually no sag when I get on the bike, maybe half an inch or so when an inch and a half would be better.

I could do it gradually over a period of days/weeks but i want to get it as close as possible as quickly as possible so I can start to enjoy the bike more. The engine and gearbox are fantastic, just need to get the suspension close and then I'll make the fine adjustments myself if needs be.

Dude- I just had my forks rebuilt so now I need to get them dialed in again- dropped the front end about 5mm and wow what a difference it makes in handling!

GixxerForksSmSSR.jpg

Sounds like we should go spend a day at BIRA or the BRC and get our bikes set up the way we like 'em.

I have a good suspension set up guide from Keith Code that will probably come in handy as well.

Ride On!

Tony

Sure, sounds good. I'm going Sunday morning and Graeme has agreed to have a look at it then. Not sure if it's open practice that day but if it is I'll probably do a few (very steady!) laps to see what the circuit is like and test the changes, although I've heard nothing but good things about the setup at Bira.

No no- not me- a different softcock bought TM's Ninja...

0816MOONIN.JPG

sick.gif

:D Too funny Tony. It never surprises me to see what you lot have been up to. :)