England World Cup Discussion Thread

mommysboy

Stupidly, by several of your own admissions your back up keeper has a storied history with making "cock ups" as you call it so, that's a real good fall back position for you then.. Anyway carry on with your commiserating and whinging I'll leave you to it but won't be a target for abuse...

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost forgot where I was posting, with the in security, bitterness and disappointment you must be feeling for only leveling with America there is going to be no logical discussion to be had merely emotional as I'm only an American and you Brits are the self proclaimed gods of SOCCER (yes soccer)and right now are seeking a scape goat to flame so I'll leave it to you to cry in your beer..

I offered no flames or trolls just a differing point of view and should have known better then to think you'd be adult and objective enough just to debate teh sport and not demean or condescend but it just isn't in you... :)

With that reply you have blown your cover mate!

where as anybody upset you on here?

You have freely given your opinion and as far as i can see nobody as had a go at you.

I almost forgot where I was posting, with the in security, bitterness and disappointment you must be feeling for only leveling with America there is going to be no logical discussion to be had merely emotional as I'm only an American and you Brits are the self proclaimed gods of SOCCER (yes soccer)and right now are seeking a scape goat to flame so I'll leave it to you to cry in your beer..

I offered no flames or trolls just a differing point of view and should have known better then to think you'd be adult and objective enough just to debate teh sport and not demean or condescend but it just isn't in you... :)

Who's demeaning you. Don't be such a big girls blouse. All we've done is offered you are different prospective and it looks like a tantrums on the way :D

Ha ha the honory Scotsman and American discussing England!

Warp know your facts first before engaging gear :D....abuse??

:D :D

Hang on 'honorary'........I'm still having couselling for the '78 fiasco I'll have you know....

'honorary my arse!!! :)

Stupidly, by several of your own admissions your back up keeper has a storied history with making "cock ups" as you call it so, that's a real good fall back position for you then.. Anyway carry on with your commiserating and whinging I'll leave you to it but won't be a target for abuse...

Learn your subject matter. Our form keeper last season was Hart and he has been pretty flawless. James is purely one of three options.

Learn your subject matter. Our form keeper last season was Hart and he has been pretty flawless. James is purely one of three options.

Couldn't give a toss about English Soccer it's a kin to the Muslim religion as far as I'm concerned all whinging, bluster and no substance so why would I waste my time "learning" anything about it especially when I am soccer educated as sufficiently as any English "fan" to watch and form a cogent perspective. But my post was based on the comments of previous 'in the know' English posters on the board and though there is a ton of denials of hypersensitivity going on it's clear that is also not the case as proven by the responses thus far..

Edited by WarpSpeed

just discuss the result/the games shall we

:D

PS. I dont know how you guys find the time to whinge - after watching all the games and trying to sneak in some sleep here and there I hardly have time for anything else

so why dont you all chill, relax and save the energy to stay up watching games instead? :D:)

After the match Robert Green said:

"It is regrettable and not what you want to happen but that's life and you move on, you hold your head up high and get to work in training."

(football 365)

This total loser has just ruined the expectation of millions, yet gives the impression of being completely unconcerned with his appalling howler. He has made perhaps the worst error in modern English national team football but makes remarks which suggest he is not bothered.

Unbelievable!

My opinion:

Never again should Green wear an England shirt, and what on earth is the manager doing, as the team look poor.

If they cannot qualify from the group stage, then these over paid and over rated players ought to be condemned for the useless bunch they are.

Errrm, this is a discussion pal.

When people discuss things others often disagree. People are know to disagree with each other from time to time you know, it happens. Get over it.

just discuss the result/the games shall we

:D

PS. I dont know how you guys find the time to whinge - after watching all the games and trying to sneak in some sleep here and there I hardly have time for anything else

so why dont you all chill, relax and save the energy to stay up watching games instead? :D:)

Overly high expectations!.

Some people genuinely reckoned we would see off USA 4-0 or the like. We get this year after year, after decade after decade, and the BS on the other side from people who insist England play talentless football. USA are a good team in tournaments. Last year they saw off Spain and narrowly lost in a final agains Brazil!

Last night was a reasonable result. We didn't win not because Green let one in but because we didn't score 2: plenty of chances!

England were the better team, I think USA coach has said as much.

My criticism is again that we were ill prepared, the team should have been in this sort of game a week ago. What we saw was England looking rusty, not quite firing on all cylinders. I also agree that we should have taken a couple of left footers.

Couldn't give a toss about English Soccer it's a kin to the Muslim religion as far as I'm concerned all whinging, bluster and no substance so why would I waste my time "learning" anything about it especially when I am soccer educated as sufficiently as any English "fan" to watch and form a cogent perspective. But my post was based on the comments of previous 'in the know' English posters on the board and though there is a ton of denials of hypersensitivity going on it's clear that is also not the case as proven by the responses thus far..

Now he's bringing religion in to it!!! He'll be having a go at the birds next.

All I can say is given recent events on this thread I wish England had won 6-0. nuff said.

Just off to the opticians!!!!!- thought I just read Smokie's post and he said he wished England had won 6-0. Clearly my eyesight is failing badly.

All I can say is given recent events on this thread I wish England had won 6-0. nuff said.

Just off to the opticians!!!!!- thought I just read Smokie's post and he said he wished England had won 6-0. Clearly my eyesight is failing badly.

If you read through some of the posts you'll see I'm not the only schizophrenic here today.

You just gotta love 'em......

:)

Personally I think he needs to play Green again and get his confidence back and this would be one of the games to do it. A top coach at this level knows you don't just dump your first squad goalie because he made a mistake it's piling on and the cup is not thrown away yet but it might be if he is benched and they need him to come back later to cover an injury you don't want him to be psychologically injured especially as the competition gets tighter, he needs to be top form confidence wise he's made his mistake and gotten it out his system early now he can move on..

A goalkeepers psyche is different from any other players you could bench a field player without too much ramifications but goalkeepers operate more on self confidence as the position is so isolated in essentially a team sport..

Not unlike a quarterback in American football, a goalie in hockey etc..

it isn't just about green regaining confidence though is it? it's also about the other ten players' confidence and trust in their goalkeeper and how that impacts on the ten outfield players' performance.massive dilemma for capello to sort out now though. what if he drops green, brings in james and james drops one of his own speciality clangers in the next match?

Personally I think he needs to play Green again and get his confidence back and this would be one of the games to do it. A top coach at this level knows you don't just dump your first squad goalie because he made a mistake it's piling on and the cup is not thrown away yet but it might be if he is benched and they need him to come back later to cover an injury you don't want him to be psychologically injured especially as the competition gets tighter, he needs to be top form confidence wise he's made his mistake and gotten it out his system early now he can move on..

A goalkeepers psyche is different from any other players you could bench a field player without too much ramifications but goalkeepers operate more on self confidence as the position is so isolated in essentially a team sport..

Not unlike a quarterback in American football, a goalie in hockey etc..

it isn't just about green regaining confidence though is it? it's also about the other ten players' confidence and trust in their goalkeeper and how that impacts on the ten outfield players' performance.massive dilemma for capello to sort out now though. what if he drops green, brings in james and james drops one of his own speciality clangers in the next match?

It's the whole calamity factor that makes me think it's a straight Green/Hart decision and thats too difficult to call.

World Cup games are not meant to be a 'building of confidence' exercise. We know Green made a clanger, it has bound to have sapped his confidence and those around him. Playing Green would amount to a theory that 'he has just dropped a clanger' so he is unlikely to do it again (which is a rather stupid argument.) With James, he is bound to have more confidence at the moment and even if he does make a clanger, I suspect that the players will think that with his experience, his confidence will be far less affected than a younger goalkeeper.

<deleted> performance from Green,Carrhager,Lampard,Lennon,Milner,Rooney

The rest where poor.

USA where not that much either! Algeria next! :) what a disapointment!

I started watching the geckoes running up the wall they where more creative :D

Have to agree, the U.S. couldn't have given you guys more space if they retired to the locker room and let you keep playing........ And yet even after we gifted you an early goal Tim managed to shut you out after that in spite of his defense trying to gift you guys on every opportunity.

IMO both teams looked very out of sorts and had little rhythm, it was painful to watch as I had high hopes of a back and forth with more polish and cohesiveness on both sides especially after the U.S. womped up on Australia a few days ago..

The U.S. kept running towards the ball in packs like first graders and leaving miles of space and players unmarked instead of covering and overlapping it was distressful I hope they can get their act together for the future matches and in that light having dodged this bullet with a team the caliber [?] of England if they can find their rhythm it bodes well for the rest of the cup.. I think Bradly needs to emphasize the basics of almost everything in training over the next several days..

Just want to add one more thing. It was very sporty of Green to gift back that goal after our gifting you the first one. It was just like when a player goes down injured and the opposing team plays the ball out of bounds so he can get aid. Cheers!! :D

One more thing as I've always said and when I coach I emphasize a shot on goal is just that, unlike the Nigeria game where every shot was wide or high at least put the shot on goal and make the goalie save it even if it's weak because anything can and does happen..

I also had empathy for Green too in spite of him being the opposition I played goalie and certain every goalie has had such follies but geezz!! In the world cup?? Can't imagine anything more demoralizing...

Like the summary warpspeed.........pretty dissapointing from both teams wasn't it?. The second half really saw some spaces opening up for both sides, sadly from my point of view, not enough quality / composure from England to punish the US. I've seen a few of the American players at Fulham over the past years and their all good solid players........could of done with a B.McBride last night though....

After the match Robert Green said:

"It is regrettable and not what you want to happen but that's life and you move on, you hold your head up high and get to work in training."

(football 365)

This total loser has just ruined the expectation of millions, yet gives the impression of being completely unconcerned with his appalling howler. He has made perhaps the worst error in modern English national team football but makes remarks which suggest he is not bothered.

Unbelievable!

My opinion:

Never again should Green wear an England shirt, and what on earth is the manager doing, as the team look poor.

If they cannot qualify from the group stage, then these over paid and over rated players ought to be condemned for the useless bunch they are.

Actually I fully respect what Green said.

Look at Robinson's clanger it was far worse and totally destroyed his England career (and BTW Gordon Banks said that the same thing might have happened to him in the same circumstance.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PxLTW05wYU

Every goalkeeper makes a clanger and is totally embarrassed at some point.

But I believe his attitude is right. I wouldnt play him again this tournament though.

Actually I fully respect what Green said.

Look at Robinson's clanger it was far worse and totally destroyed his England career (and BTW Gordon Banks said that the same thing might have happened to him in the same circumstance.)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_PxLTW05wYU

Every goalkeeper makes a clanger and is totally embarrassed at some point.

But I believe his attitude is right. I wouldnt play him again this tournament though.

yeah agree with this. he at least had the stones to speak up after the match, he could have hidden. i wouldn't pick him next match either though. joe hart's the best 'keeper in the squad, he's on the back of a good, positive season and the other two, green and james, have both had error-prone seasons in relegation dogfights.

Pretty disappointing display last night, even though i think we deserved the 3 points.

Total lack of composure on the ball, poor delivery from out wide, and of course the clanger from Green. But how many mistakes did the other players make? Lots, its just as a goalkeeper 9 times out of 10 that mistake leads to a goal, whereas for an outfield player that number diminishes a lot.

Shilton/Banks/Clemence/Seaman all made clangers, and before anyone jumps on that i am in no way comparing Green to those great keepers, but it seems to me we always have to have a scapegoat.

We should be looking at the fact we created just enough chances to have won that game, unfortunately they mostly fell Emile..... :)

Milner was obviously not 100%, but replacing him with SWP was baffling :D Carragher was appalling, and the delivery from out wide was rubbish! I've always been a fan of Capello and wanted him to get the job when the wally with the brolly was sacked but some of his squad selections and tactics/team/subs last night were truly bizarre.

On a side not you've gotta love a yank who says he doesn't give a toss about soccer posting on a football post and then getting bent out of shape when people disagree!! Its the first time I've smiled since Gerrard scored!!! :D

I think the only decision he will come to after serious thought will be to play Robert Green again,simply because it is against Algeria and lets be honest we should beat them and also they really should not cause to many problems against an English defense let alone the goalkeeper!

It is a game that he will expect to win quite convincingly and will stick by his previous selection for the togetherness of the squad.

Personally i would play James because i think experience is key in major tournaments but i am not Capello.

What is more concerning is the inaction of Rooney,i would seriously think about resting him against the Algerians and play Defoe and Heskey :)

Surely against such a poor side Nad he will play a 3-4-3 and want to bag a few goals to ensure finishing top of the group....that is of course the aim now you can't beat the yanks on points.

Edited by smokie36

Surely against such a poor side Nad he will play a 3-4-3 and want to bag a few goals to ensure finishing top of the group....that is of course the aim now you can't beat the yanks on points.

there's no reason on earth to think that he'll change to an unfamiliar formation when two of england's best attacking outlets are johnson and cole from full-back.

I think the only decision he will come to after serious thought will be to play Robert Green again,simply because it is against Algeria and lets be honest we should beat them and also they really should not cause to many problems against an English defense let alone the goalkeeper!

It is a game that he will expect to win quite convincingly and will stick by his previous selection for the togetherness of the squad.

Personally i would play James because i think experience is key in major tournaments but i am not Capello.

What is more concerning is the inaction of Rooney,i would seriously think about resting him against the Algerians and play Defoe and Heskey :)

If he were to rest Rooney and play Defoe i think he'd can Heskey for Crouch.