A Failure Of Logic Mine Vs Thai

scorpio1945

My logical mind got the best of me. I obtained a one yr. visa extention approximately 30 days before my 90 day report due date. My faulty logic assumed that the clock started clicking again for the 90 day report since the extention application duplicated and more the required information and it would be entered in the computer database. When I dutifly did my 90 day report, using my logic, I was informed today that I was wrong and needed to go to Mae Sai and pay 2000 Bt fine. I need to get used to the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing and knowing my engineering logic is a handicap.

Posted as a warning for other too logical newbies.:)

Ah yes it does not work using western logic in Thailand. :)

That Logic has always worked for me before. :D

Thanks for the heads up. It may be worth posting in the visa section also and get the right answer from one of our experts.

There's something very dogdy going on with 90 day reporting up there at the moment. I did my 90 day by post last week. had a printed list of requirements from them from last time. I got a phone call that they wanted something else. I posted them the something else, and they rang again to say the wanted what I had already sent them again or they will reject it. Its a 90 day report for %4#@S sake. I've reported, How much more difficult can it be. :D

Ahh. I've just remembered , the last time I got a visa extension, they sent me to the other desk to do the 90 day report , there and then, to start the clock ticking again. Sort of makes sense but I wouldn't have if they hadn't mentioned it.

Edited by jubby

I had something similar, i renewed my 1 year extention on the same day my 90 day reporting was due, when i next went to do my 90 day reporting he said i was on overstay for 90 days as i didn't do my last 90 day report, i explained that i reported in 90 days ago to do my visa extension and signed my name and done all the revelent paperwork, aaahhh he said but you didn't report in and when i asked why was i not told at the time he said " it was down to me to know this":) .

I had something similar, i renewed my 1 year extention on the same day my 90 day reporting was due, when i next went to do my 90 day reporting he said i was on overstay for 90 days as i didn't do my last 90 day report, i explained that i reported in 90 days ago to do my visa extension and signed my name and done all the revelent paperwork, aaahhh he said but you didn't report in and when i asked why was i not told at the time he said " it was down to me to know this":) .

And I suspect 98% of us don't know this. could be a nice little earner :D

The 90 day check-in is completely separate from misc. visas/extensions. And no, there is no linkage between the 2 on a database.

I know dozens of friends who've been caught out by this.

Just think of it this way. If you are here on any type of 1 year visa or extension (except for a Non-Immigrant Category O), doesn't matter which kind- business, edu, missionary, retirement....whatever.

The last time you entered Thailand, you have 90 days later to report to Imm on your current address/whereabouts. The 90 day check-in has nothing to to with your visa or extension status.

It is simply a requirement for all foreign residents, who hold a 1 year visa that allows continuous 1 year residence...to check in every 90 days and inform and confirm to Imm what their current address is.

If you have a Non Imm category O, you already have to leave Thailand every 90 days anyway, so it is moot.

The problem seems to arise from farang who previously had a non imm cat O, who converted to a retirement, or matrimonial, or whatever, extension.

They don't understand the 90 day check-in as being a completely separate (and simple) reporting requirement.......

Hope this helps; for more info see the Visa sub-forum.

Guys, I'm fed up with the crap required for 90 day reporting.

I can't see the point in it anyway.

Being in CR, I'm just going to cross over the border in

Mae Sai rather than do the report. Apart from the 500

Baht, you avoid having to do the paper work and hassle

at the office.

Regards

Will

at the office.

Regards

Will

If you are on extension of stay, you will need to get a re-entry permit at immigration first or you permission to stay will be cancelled and you will get 15 days when you come back into Thailand.

If you are on a non immigrant multi-entry, you don't need to do the 90 day report.

at the office.

Just crossing the border on a VIP pass with 100 on one side and 500 on the other, doesn't put any new stamps or dates in your passport. Leaving without a re-entry will invalidate your visa. A re-entry will cost you 1900 baht.

You can easily mail in the one page form with the expiring 90 day receipt, appropriate photocopies and a self-addressed stamped envelope. No hassle, muss or fuss. Saves the cost of diesel for the drive out there, too.

The 90 day check-in is completely separate from misc. visas/extensions. And no, there is no linkage between the 2 on a database.

I know dozens of friends who've been caught out by this.

Just think of it this way. If you are here on any type of 1 year visa or extension (except for a Non-Immigrant Category O), doesn't matter which kind- business, edu, missionary, retirement....whatever.

The last time you entered Thailand, you have 90 days later to report to Imm on your current address/whereabouts. The 90 day check-in has nothing to to with your visa or extension status.

It is simply a requirement for all foreign residents, who hold a 1 year visa that allows continuous 1 year residence...to check in every 90 days and inform and confirm to Imm what their current address is.

If you have a Non Imm category O, you already have to leave Thailand every 90 days anyway, so it is moot.

The problem seems to arise from farang who previously had a non imm cat O, who converted to a retirement, or matrimonial, or whatever, extension.

They don't understand the 90 day check-in as being a completely separate (and simple) reporting requirement.......

Hope this helps; for more info see the Visa sub-forum.

A bit confused by your comments regarding the Non-Imm O. This was my second one year visa extention and I thought it was based on the Non-Imm O visa (that has a retirement sub catagory) that I entered the country on before my first one year visa extention. I am retired. Did I switch to a retirement visa and did not know it. I lsted a Non-Imm O on the paperwork I filled in on both one year visa extentions. Am I missing something here that I need to know or it a moot terminology issue.

I agree the 90 day report by mail is a simple procedure (three previous times) if I knew when to do it. I don't agree it is logical. Sure would have helped if Thai Imm. had made a note of this at the bottom of their web site instructions like they did with other issues.:)

This sounds pretty strange. I have never done a separate 90 day report at the same time my permission to stay was renewed .. since 1996. Over the past several years, my extensions have been at Dansingkorn in PKK. Each time the officer processed my extension, they automatically put a new 90 day report notice in the passport. I think the new separation of immigration offices has much to do with it.

Thanks for the advice and replies.

Am on an Extension of Stay with RE

permit.

So for me, off to buy a few dvd's and then

back to Thailand.

Just tired of the constant photocopies

and other assoc crap when I don't see the point.

Anyway, 90 day report and cross border =

same same.

Regards

Will

permit.

back to Thailand.

same same.

Regards

Will

I have no idea what a RE permit is, but if you are on an extension of stay, 90 day report and cross border is NOT same same. If you do not get a re-entry permit your extension will be cancelled and you will only get 15 days when you return.

Do the 90 day report, it's a lot easier.

When I first got my one year  business visa it took a number of trips to immigration before one finally got it approved. When I finally got the official stamp, they warned me to come back in 90 days to file a report. I wrote the date on the calender and turned up exactly 90 days later, but they had started the 90 days from the first day I applied for the visa, so insisted that I was one month too late.

I paid the fine, but have never been so aware of how Thai "logic" works.  :)

Immigration Bureau

Notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days Procedure and notification

1. The foreigner makes the notification in person, or
  2. The foreigner authorises another person to make the notification, or
  3. The foreigner makes the notification by registered mail.
  4. The notification must be made within 7 days before or after the period of 90 days expires.
  5. The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

Offices accepting notification:

1. Immigration Division1 Office, Chalermprakiat Government Complex,Chaengwattana Rd., Laksi ,Bangkok
  2. Visa extension units, Chamchuree Square Building, Floor 18 , Phatumwan, Bangkok
  3. Immigration offices throughout the country

Notification by registered mail

1. Copy of all passport pages (up to the latest arrival stamp in the Kingdom or latest visa stamp)
  2. Copy of arrival/departure card TM.6 (front and back)
  3. Previous notifications of staying over 90 days (if any)
  4. Completely filled in and signed notification form TM.47
  5. Envelope with 5 Baht stamp affixed and return address of foreigner for the officer in charge to send back the lower part of form TM. 47 after having received the notification. This part must be kept for reference and for future notifications of staying over 90 days.
  6. The above mentioned documents must be sent by registered mail and the receipt of the registration kept by the foreigner.
    Send the mail before the renewal date 7 days to 90 DAYS REGISTRATION,
    IMMIGRATION DIVISION 1
    120 MOO 3, CHAENGWATTANA ROAD,SOI 7,
    LAKSI, BANGKOK. 10210

Note

• The notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days is in no way equivalent to a visa extension.
  • If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 4,000.- Baht.
  • If a foreigner leaves the country and re-enters, the day count starts at 1 in every case.
  • For details contact 0-2141-7881

Edited by dindong

permit.

back to Thailand.

same same.

Regards

Will

I have no idea what a RE permit is, but if you are on an extension of stay, 90 day report and cross border is NOT same same. If you do not get a re-entry permit your extension will be cancelled and you will only get 15 days when you return.

Do the 90 day report, it's a lot easier.

Sorry for the confusion.

I am on extension with a re-entry permit.

So therefore, me crossing the border ie leaving the country

is the same. The clock starts ticking again.

For me, I prefer the border cross.

Regards

Will

Its not a bad Idea Will. Get a multiple Re-entry permit at the same time as getting your yearly extention. I think its about 3000 baht.

No issues if you need to leave the country quickly that way too.

I'm having problems with the report by post at the moment. Should be simple I know. Will I get a 2000 baht fine shortly, its just possible.

I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than visit Immigration.

If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 4,000.- Baht.

I wonder what the fine would be if one turned up at immigration for an annual extension having done no 90-day reports for the year.

If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 4,000.- Baht.

I wonder what the fine would be if one turned up at immigration for an annual extension having done no 90-day reports for the year.

I would guess that the 2,000 Baht fine would be imposed.

There must also be the risk that immigration would refuse to issue another extension as the applicant has shown that he is not willing to abide by the rules.

I would guess that the 2,000 Baht fine would be imposed.

There must also be the risk that immigration would refuse to issue another extension as the applicant has shown that he is not willing to abide by the rules.

I guess that would depend on whether or not you've re-started the clock

by leaving the country.

Why would they refuse an extension? Not abiding by the rules??

You either report if you're staying more than 90 days or exit the country.

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

If you are in the country for a period of 90 days you have to report your address.It has nothing to do with extension applications or expiry dates. Two different things.

Will27. Your plan will work as you are not in the country for a period of 90 days as you are hopping over the border and returning so the 90 days start again when you return.

Seems a bit drastic though. Paying 3,800 Baht for a Multi Re Entry Permit when you can report at Immigration for free.