Rain In Pattaya

alex100

Big storm today at  1.05 pm, watch out for more flooding !!!!!!!!!!!

Well, at least my moto should be nice and clean when I return !

(If it hasn't been washed down a sewer drain. That shouldn't happen though, as it seems all the drains on my soi are plugged solid with garbage :o not even any room for snakes or rats to live down there !)

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We've had continuous heavy rain for the past 2 1/2 hours up the road at Laem Chabang.

It looks to be heading towards Pattaya.

It started here (south) just before 1.00 pm and went on for some time.

The strong winds could have been a problem for motocy's. :D

OK, it can stop now (or in a few days). I'm coming back in 10 days and want everything dried up by then ! :o

Well, I'm sure you mean everything but the BG's, right?  :o

Well, yeah, I guess you're right.

After all, if they dried up, how would I be able to support the local economy in the manner it's become accustomed to ? :D

WooHoo ! It finally rained here in Afghanistan ! First time since the last week of MAY ! Snow on the mountains, hopefully I'll be gone before it gets on the ground here !

Well, I'm sure you mean everything but the BG's, right?  :o

Well, yeah, I guess you're right.

After all, if they dried up, how would I be able to support the local economy in the manner it's become accustomed to ? :D

WooHoo ! It finally rained here in Afghanistan ! First time since the last week of MAY ! Snow on the mountains, hopefully I'll be gone before it gets on the ground here !

Did the natives scatter to avoid getting water on them? :D

George

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the rain has settled down, but it sure ain't warming up much :o

A few days ago the first cool nights appeared, which normally indicates the definite end of the rainy season.

We did have some rain showers yesterday, but it will have been one of the last.

Sounds silly, but in the evenings I can get quite uncomfortable, especially around Lake Mabprachan where it's always 1 or 2 degrees colder then in town...

Day times still hot though :D

Well, the rain has settled down, but it sure ain't warming up much :o

A few days ago the first cool nights appeared, which normally indicates the definite end of the rainy season.

Sounds silly, but in the evenings I can get quite uncomfortable, especially around Lake Mabprachan where it's always 1 or 2 degrees colder then in town...Day times still hot though  :D

You can always tell this time of year has arrived when all Thai's are walking around in multiple sweaters and windcheaters complaining how cold it is and how they all have the flu !!!

Well, the rain has settled down, but it sure ain't warming up much :D

Sounds silly, but in the evenings I can get quite uncomfortable, especially around Lake Mabprachan where it's always 1 or 2 degrees colder then in town...Day times still hot though  :D

You can always tell this time of year has arrived when all Thai's are walking around in multiple sweaters and windcheaters complaining how cold it is and how they all have the flu !!!

:D:D

I think a conversation the Mrs had with a friend of hers in Jomtien, was funny (the Mrs is enjoying her first UK winter) :o . Her friend was complaining that it's VERY cold at the moment, to wit the Mrs replied (in Thai but this is my translation). Cold, cold, you don't know the meaning of COLD, i bet you haven't you got ICE outside. :D

The Mrs was so determined to show her mate how cold it actually is and that it was so much colder than Thailand, she went outside and took photo's of the Ice on the cars and gardens and then e-mailed them to her mate. :D

She was at it again yesterday when we had our first blast of Snow this year. :D

• 3 years later...

I understand that the rain burst in Pattaya and surrounding areas three days ago was caused by a fleet of Thai men in aircraft, casting out their 'seed' to induce rainfall, and it worked. I am somewhat of a sceptic, is this really possible?

It created a great inconvenience to me, because I wanted to mow the lawn, and before I knew it, the Thai men up above had soaked my lawns with their 'seed'.

Edited by syd barrett

I understand that the rain burst in Pattaya and surrounding areas three days ago was caused by a fleet of Thai men in aircraft, casting out their 'seed' to induce rainfall, and it worked. I am somewhat of a sceptic, is this really possible?

It created a great inconvenience to me, because I wanted to mow the lawn, and before I knew it, the Thai men up above had soaked my lawns with their 'seed'.

They have been doing it in Thailand for years Syd, seeding the atmosphere with silver nitrate - interfering with nature, it will all end in tears i tell ya!!!!! :o

They have been doing it in Thailand for years Syd, seeding the atmosphere with silver nitrate - interfering with nature, it will all end in tears i tell ya!!!!! :o

At a lower level pattaya has been built on it. :D

• 2 weeks later...

[quote

What advice is there for people stuck in the open, during a lightning storm. Stand in the open or shelter under a tree?

both is dangerous! If you stand in the open and you are the highest point, the lightning would most likely hit you.

If you are standing under a tree, and especialy if it is a lonely standing tree, the tree will most likely be hit and there will be a killing electric power on the ground (where you are standing).

so best is to stay in the lowest part of the land. If there is no such place, try to lay down at the ground as flat as possible.

Helpfull is to be inside some kinds of kind of Faraday cage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

f.e. a car, a house of concrete (with steel !),

The lightning will use the most easiest way , the steel, and you are quite safe inside !

But avoid to touch the steel (electric wire, etc.) at the moment, the lightning hit the car, house etc.

No joke !

Never stay in the sea, lake, etc. go swimming when there is a thunder storm! And better do not stay at hte top, roof of a house !

Good luck !

I think the chance getting killed by crossing third or second road is 10.000 more likely !!

no joke !

Good luck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Global_l...ing_strikes.png

best is to have both foots together when the lightning hit the ground near you- cause it is the difference of voltage between the legs, what will kill you ! Worse: straddle legged like John Wayne and one shoulder showing to the point of lightning strikes (most possible difference of distance between foots to point of lightning strike hitting the ground)

Such questions always remind me of one of the greatest lines I've ever heard. Pro golfer Lee Trevino (himself a surviving victim of a lightning strike) once quipped, if you see lightning, grab a 1 Iron. Even God can't hit a 1 Iron! :o

• 4 months later...
July 6 2009

It's been non-stop heavy rain now for over two hours and I'm stuck in a bar.

More forcasted for the next 3-4 days.

GREAT!

I hope they serve snacks in the bar :)

best is to have both foots together when the lightning hit the ground near you- cause it is the difference of voltage between the legs, what will kill you ! Worse: straddle legged like John Wayne and one shoulder showing to the point of lightning strikes (most possible difference of distance between foots to point of lightning strike hitting the ground)

I stop wearing wired bra ever since I heard it could attack lighting.

In fact, since Thailand is so hot and humid, I stop wearing it all together.

I stop wearing wired bra ever since I heard it could attack lighting.

In fact, since Thailand is so hot and humid, I stop wearing it all together.

can we have some photographic evidence here? :)

• 1 month later...