Home Theatre Equipment 5.1

stgrhe

I moved to Thailand two years ago and will be moving in to our new house in about a month or two. During this time I have virtually been without music as I sold most of my equipment before moving here. The only items I brought were my Denon multi-player and Velodyne DD10 sub-woofer in addition to all quality cables.

As I really do not know what's available here in Thailand I am seeking advice from you fellow music lovers. The thread says "Home Theatre Equipment 5.1" but what matters is the sound quality since movies and stuff are low priorities.

Hence, I am looking for:

1. Two floor-standing front speakers

2. A centre speaker

3. Two rear speakers with stands

4. A pre-amplifier or processor

5. A five channel power amplifier (with a very good slew rate)

I am not too fond of home theatre receivers as they tend to put focus on the video rather than the sound, but that doesn't mean I have ruled them out since money matters too.

Back in Sweden, my home country, I was listening to Magnapan speakers driven by a Rotel processor and a Rotel five channel power amplifier using the Velodyne and its built-in cross-over filter to handle all frequencies below 60 Hz thus feeding the higher frequencies to the Rotel amplifier in a kind of limited bi-amp mode. It worked well given the relatively weak performances of the Magnapan ribbon speakers over the lower frequency range. Having mentioned Magnapan speakers, some of you would understand that the speakers resolution matters.

This time, however, I am looking for more conventional speakers despite having brought over the Velodyne. The speakers should preferably also be black to please the Missus.

My budget is 300,000 baht.

I know of course that I will have to go through the auditing phase but by using your advices I hope to narrow down my search a bit and save time. I live in Hua Hin but plan to purchase the equipment in Bangkok.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess you have read the thread about my HT? I ended up buying a yamaha 1900 receiver. after reading a bunch of tests and forums, i concluded that the best receivers now are from yamaha. the 1900 is about 50k baht. I am very happy with it. The only thing it doesnt have that i miss is digital upscaling. but if you get a blu-ray that does it, then its np. Yamaha also has the 3900 model that sells for around 65k baht, this one has upscaling of HDMI. Expect these models to drop in price now, as most think new models are coming soon. Will it be worth waiting for the new models? i dont know. Depends on your needs and time perspective. The specs on the new models are likely to be more HDMI inputs, better interface and better integration with the net. 

I bought second hand speakers in bkk, at Mr balance in panthip. i would def go there to see what he has. When i was there he had a lot of really nice things, among them some very hi-end speakers at a good price. I was lucky and found 2 speakers for front and a smaller model of the same brand that i now use for surround speakers. Its important to get the same sound signature, for sure. So, if you want to buy second hand, thats one thing to think ahead. The yamaha also has room for 2 presence speakers and 2 surround back speakers, making it a total of 9.1. I have not bothered with that. i might give the presence speakers a try if i have some extra speakers at some point, but i dont think its very important for sound experience.

Also, a fun podcast about HT is home theater geeks on the TWIT netcast network.

I guess you have read the thread about my HT? I ended up buying a yamaha 1900 receiver. after reading a bunch of tests and forums, i concluded that the best receivers now are from yamaha. the 1900 is about 50k baht. I am very happy with it. The only thing it doesnt have that i miss is digital upscaling. but if you get a blu-ray that does it, then its np. Yamaha also has the 3900 model that sells for around 65k baht, this one has upscaling of HDMI. Expect these models to drop in price now, as most think new models are coming soon. Will it be worth waiting for the new models? i dont know. Depends on your needs and time perspective. The specs on the new models are likely to be more HDMI inputs, better interface and better integration with the net.

I bought second hand speakers in bkk, at Mr balance in panthip. i would def go there to see what he has. When i was there he had a lot of really nice things, among them some very hi-end speakers at a good price. I was lucky and found 2 speakers for front and a smaller model of the same brand that i now use for surround speakers. Its important to get the same sound signature, for sure. So, if you want to buy second hand, thats one thing to think ahead. The yamaha also has room for 2 presence speakers and 2 surround back speakers, making it a total of 9.1. I have not bothered with that. i might give the presence speakers a try if i have some extra speakers at some point, but i dont think its very important for sound experience.

Also, a fun podcast about HT is home theater geeks on the TWIT netcast network.

Yes, I did read your thread and I also read your swimming pool thread a while ago. However, it appears to me that you put moret of focus on the video quality whereas that is second priority for me. I like to listen to music, preferably SACD 5.1 recordings or audiophile CD's, and sometime I'll put on a music video, but again, what matters is the sound. A common problem with the home theatre receivers, as I see it, are all filterings that contaminate the sound, hence the reason why I would give priority to separate units if I can find one that I can afford. Should I go for a receiver it will probably be a Pioneer, forgot the type, that scored very high ratings by What Hi Fi for its sound qualities.

If I could afford it I would buy Audio Research's MP1 multi-channel pre-amplifier (http://www.audioresearch.com/MP1.html) and AR's HD220 power amplifiers (http://www.audioresearch.com/HD220.html) but that is well out of my reach.

I know of Mr Balance and have visited his shops a few times. He is a bit crappy being a Thai Chinese but as you said he has some good stuff from time to time and his electronics are always tweaked to perfection.

Any more advise fellows?

You can turn off the filters, FYI the receivers i looked at all had straight and pure direct modes. When one use the filters in the 1900 the signal even gets down sampled, so i never use those modes. either way, it looks like your price range is a tad over where the main bulk of my knowledge lies.

i guess i come off as video interested because my background is music production, so i have the least questions about music and sound. when a person talks a lot about something, one often assumes thats his only interest, right? Sometimes its because the lack of knowledge is the biggest in that area.

or are you saying that a person interested in sound would not choose a yamaha AVR? or is there something about audiophiles liking the thought of separating consumers into "those who appreciate sound" and those who want to watch transformers. :)

on a more serious note: those avr's you talk of sounds great and its a very interesting field, the production of hi end 5.1. HD sound (with no video).

Since video is low priority I wonder why you are going for 5.1?

Most 5.1 systems are a compromise.

Better to spend your money on a top notch Stereo amp and speakers.

Then later add in a cheapish 5.1 processor as a front end

feeding the front signals to the decent amp and speakers.

Just a thought.

Since video is low priority I wonder why you are going for 5.1?

Most 5.1 systems are a compromise.

Better to spend your money on a top notch Stereo amp and speakers.

Then later add in a cheapish 5.1 processor as a front end

feeding the front signals to the decent amp and speakers.

Just a thought.

Because I have many 5.1 SACD and music DVD's so to use them in full I like to have a system with 5.1 capability but play ordinary CD's without filtering. In that you are right as I am prepared to spend more on the front speakers. What I do not care about is video scaling.

I would look into one of the bigger NAD AVR's, as they neither have "pure" or "direct", but rather a "HT Bypass" function. the T775 and T785 comes to mind. They do live up to their specs concerning power output, unlike most other brands and with NAD you don't have to worry about speaker impedance either - The video capabilities are not so "hot", but they do offer "upgrades" via slot in cards so you can get excellent video upscaling as well for a price of course.

Some reviews:

NAD T785 A/V Surround Sound Receiver Reviewed

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/tests-reviews/receivers/2009/12/nad-t785-av-receiver

Concerning the Pioneer AVR's - the bigger ones are all class d amplified (ice amps) - and from my experience do have some problems especially with low impedance speakers and their LED's and display fail at an alarming rate:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/pioneer-sc-07 which in thailand is called LX-81

With speakers, what is your preference, except from electrostats? - Do you prefer soft domes, metal domes?

Warm / neutral / cool / analytic sound???

Thanks for your advice JackA. I have downloaded the NAD T 785 manual (will read it later) and read some of the reviews and it could be the unit I am looking for. With NAD you always get what you pay for whereas that is not always the case with other suppliers. Do you have any idea of its price here in Thailand and where to buy it in Bangkok?

I have also been looking at Arcam's DiVA P1000 seven channel power amplifier that is selling for 125,000 but to find a matching processor/preamp and add speakers would probably burst my budget. But out of curiosity do you have any experience with Arcam's power amplifiers?

With regards to the speakers I have, as I mentioned, been using Magnapan ribbon speakers for years and their sound signature is very pure but not as metallic as I find the electrostatic speakers to be. I listen to all sorts of music from classical, Spanish guitar, jazz, rock and blues and to my experience too many speakers, and amplifiers too for that matter, fall short when one listens to piano or a Spanish guitar. Hence, I value as non-coloured sound as possible and do not appreciate when the speaker manufacturer designs the sound stage for me.

On the other hand there are also rather pure speakers around, e.g. Audio Physics, which are lovely to listen to for a while, but like many German design speakers they make my ears weary after a while.

I was looking at the Wharfedale's Evolution Series 2 on HiFi Towers web page yesterday and they look interesting and appear to be reasonably priced. Any comments please?

Products : HIFI TOWER

The NAD distributor is here: www.conice.co.th, who I feel are some of the nicest people to do business with.

On the other hand - I would stay away from Arcam, been looking into their AVR's as well - and even though

they are considered in line with Rotel, I feel the "value" just isn't there. I had the DiVA A90, and while

it was quite nice, the support for the product was less than stellar.

As for speakers, I'll tell you upfront that I'm BIASED, so "I" wouldn't consider Wharfedale

for anything else but a nice home theater system.

I would rather look into: Dynaudio Excite X32: http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Dynaudio-Excite-X32/

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/speakersystems/dynaudio_excite_speaker_system/

Can be auditioned here: Piyanas Electrics

Unlike what one would think, the X32 is MUCH better than the X36 - and there's ample choice for center and surround

speakers.

(BIAS) put aside:

Focus Audio: Piyanas Electrics : à¤Ã×èͧàÊÕ§, áÍÁ»ì, ÅÓ⾧, home theater

ATC are VERY nice speakers as well, but usually with quite a "sticker shock".

MAGNEPLANAR 1.6 QR can be had 2nd hand for around 50-60K

Vienna Acoustic Bach can be had for around 40-50K 2nd hand.

PMC and Splendor are also some speakers you might consider (if you can find them)

but again - no words are good enough to describe sound - and we all have different ears and ideas,

so you need to spend time auditioning - remember to bring some of your own music which

you know. If you ever get around Pattaya area, you are more than welcome to pass

and have a coffee and an "earful".

Edited by JackA

Once again thanks for the valuable comments. I will put the Dynaudio X32 on my auditing list. I know this Danish company well and think their speakers in general sound far better than their rival Dali. My son favours Dali and they are good for rock 'n roll but not much more than that I recon.

It would, however, be tempting to look for used Magnaplaner 1.6 but then again they would not be suitable in our home as they, like all Magnapan's speakers, are very location sensitive.

ATC's are not really my cup of tea while both PMC and Splendor could be interesting.

Vienna Acoustic Bach is unknown to me.

Any idea of the price in Thailand for the NAD T785?

I also noted that NAD has a processor, NAD T175 HD and three multi-channel amplifiers, NAD T955 (5 channels), NAD T973 and NAD T975 (seven channels). Any idea of prices for them too?

Apparently NAD has a series referred to as the M-series but its units appear to be too costly for my budget.

As you plan to go analog out from your Denon the speakers for the 5 channels should be 5 equal full range speakers (18K Hz to 40 Hz). The reason is that the MC SACD's are mastered to produce full range sound from each of the 5 channels.

An alternative would be to go HDMI from the Denon (if it supports SACD) to an AVR that has equal or better DAC's then to the HT speaker configuration you listed using the AVR's Audyssey MultiEQ Auto Setup and Room EQ.

As you plan to go analog out from your Denon the speakers for the 5 channels should be 5 equal full range speakers (18K Hz to 40 Hz). The reason is that the MC SACD's are mastered to produce full range sound from each of the 5 channels.

An alternative would be to go HDMI from the Denon (if it supports SACD) to an AVR that has equal or better DAC's then to the HT speaker configuration you listed using the AVR's Audyssey MultiEQ Auto Setup and Room EQ.

The Denon multi-player does only have DVI-output for video, no HDMI, in addition to the five-channel analog and optical outputs. In my previous set-up I used the Rotel processor's D/A-converter as it was better than Denon's. Because I have very good signal cables from Purist Audio I will run analog from the Denon also in a new set-up.

The future speakers only need to be good down to 60Hz as that is the level I will be using as cross-over for the Velodyne sub. Many speakers roll-of just below 60Hz.

Just a small thing - I think if you use the analog out on the Denon you're utilizing the D/A converter in the Denon whereas you use the "optical out" or "Coxial" then you use the D/A converter in the preamp / receiver (just saying...).

So if the best D/A converter is in the Player - use analog out, if it's in the preamp/amp - by all means use either coax or optical out.

:)

I have now compiled a shortlist of speakers that find interesting. They are of various types and prices ranges with the Dynaudio Excite series being the reference. Where I have been able to obtain prices through the internet I have listed them.

What I am seeking is advice from those of you who have audited these speakers and you comments. This will not be needed for the Dynaudio Excite speakers since JackA has so been kind and provided me with his first-hand experience.

I have read through quite a number of reviews since starting this thread, but I find most magazines to be too bias as they partly live of the provider's advertorials. Hence, I judge comments from people like you more.

I have added one odd speaker to the list and this is the new Magneplaner 1.7. I loved the 1.6 speakers and adore the 3.6. The new 1.7 uses quasi-ribbons for all three ranges and retails in the US for about half price of the older 1.6, i.e. $1,995 only.

Does anyone know if there is an importer of Magnapan speakers into Thailand? I have the same question about Vienna Acoustics Schönberg series and also a question if anyone knows the prices for the B&W VM series and the Schönberg in Thailand..

The main purpose with this exercise is elimination as it would be virtually impossible to audit all sets together with the Dynaudio Excite

Finally, I will have an odd listening room (our lounge) that is 4.6m x 4.7m with a glass wall on one side and open space to the dining area on the other. The listening room is thus far from ideal bu that is what I got.

Thanks for your advice and support.

SPEAKER PACKAGES

DYNADIO EXCITE SERIES

Front: Excite X32 101,500

Center: Excite X22 30,900

Rear: Excite X12 39,600

Sum: 172,000

B&W CM SERIES

Front: CM7 104,500

Center: CM Center 38,900

Rear: CM5 66,900

Sum: 210,300

B&W 600 SERIES

Front: 684 61,700

Center: HTM-61 35,700

Rear: 685 34,900

Sum: 132,300

SONUS FABER DOMUS SERIES

Front: Concerto 115,600

Center: Center 42,500

Rear: Concertino 50,500

Sum: 208,600

VIENNA ACOUSTICS SCHÖNBERG SERIES

Front: Schönberg $2,500

Center: Webern $795

Rear: Berg $495

Sum: $3,790

KEF NEW Q SERIES

Front: IQ90 72,900

Center: IQ60 25,400

Rear: IQ30 25,400

Sum: 123,700

PARADIGM STUDIO SERIES

Front: Studio 60 V.5 68,300

Center: CC490 38,600

Rear: Studio 20 V.5 41,300

Sum: 148,200

FOCUS AUDIO FC SERIES

Front: FC-8 67,900

Center: FCC-2 27,900

Rear: FC-6 40,900

Sum: 136,700

B&W VM SERIES [MODERN FLAT DESIGN]

Front: VM 6 ?

Center: VM 6 ?

Rear: VM 6 ?

Sum: ?

JBL

Front: L880 35,900

Center: LC2 13,900

Rear: L830 17,900

Sum: 67,700

MORDAUNT SHORT AVIANO SERIES

Front: Aviano 6 16,900

Center: Aviano 5 6,900

Rear: Aviano 2 8,900

Sum: 32,700

KEF KHT 600 PACKAGE [MODERN SLIM-LINE DESIGN]

Set: KHT600 118,900

Sum: 118,900

MAGNEPAN

Front: Magneplanar 1.7 $1,995

Center: ? ?

Rear: ? ?

Sum: $1,995 (front speakers only)

KEF new Q series: I audited them a few weeks ago. Great sound, very crisp and detailed. But i had a talk with jackAA about them afterwards, and he says they might be very tiring for the ears over time due to the way they are constructed.

JBL l830: i audited them at the same time as the KEF. Didnt like them much. the sound felt heavy, if that makes any sense at all. 

Great idea with your list, looking forward to following the responses.

KEF new Q series: I audited them a few weeks ago. Great sound, very crisp and detailed. But i had a talk with jackAA about them afterwards, and he says they might be very tiring for the ears over time due to the way they are constructed.

JBL l830: i audited them at the same time as the KEF. Didnt like them much. the sound felt heavy, if that makes any sense at all.

Great idea with your list, looking forward to following the responses.

Thanks for your comments. I suppose this could be regarded as "Canton sounds", speakers that sounds grate for a little while but are tiring in the long run. Two eliminated!

Magnepan distributor in Thailand:

Tel. 0-2102-2211-2

http://www.save-av.com/product_speaker.shtml#magnapan

Sonus Faber's philosophy is quite unlike "Everyone" else, where their speakers are built like "instruments",

so the cabinets are giving acoustic resonances adding to the owerall sound, giving the SF "house sound".

Good speaker though, but not a great all rounder, depends on your preference - mostly VIFA and Scanspeak

drivers. (These are usually in the either "love or hate" catagory, well worth a listen - they might hit

your weak spot - seems to be best suited for "small ensemble music".

Mordaunt Short Aviano, is not the best from Mordaunt Short, if you want a better performing speaker I think you

should look into the Mordaunt Short Mezzo series, which is sounding a fair bit better than the Aviano, as they

"Aviano" sounds exciting, bombastic but really bright - and not what some would consider Hi-Fi.

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Mordaunt-Short-Aviano-51/

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Mordaunt-Short-Mezzo-51/

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Mordaunt-Short-Mezzo-6/

I'm not going to talk about B&W because I'm going to get slaughtered, but will just note the following: B&W

in Thailand has a very poor price / performance ratio, compared to other brands @ level prices. But of the ones

that you mentioned, the CM series is head and shoulders above the other mentioned B&W speakers.

On the 600 series, I would suggest that you chose the B&W 683 as fronts instead of the 684.

Paradigm are very good value for money, and might very well be considered as one of the top choices, with

excellent stereo performance as well as 5.1 sound - but very close to Dynaudio in price ;)

I literally was "captured" to audition the Focus Audio FC Series, when Piyanas got the authorized reseller status,

and the FC series is good, but nowhere near the FS series. Still well worth an audition.

As I see it - you really need to go to piyanas, as they have most of the "interesting" brands that

you list, B&W, Paradigm, Dynaudio, Focus Audio and Sonus Faber.

Also worth considering : Usher / Von Schweikert / ProAc / Totem / Revolver

If you like "Hands on user reviews" - use this valuable resource : http://www.audioreview.com

Search for every brand of speaker, and you'll see the comments. I usually sort by WORST ratings.

Good luck!

Edited by JackA

I do really appreciate your advises JackA, many thanks.

I will delete the following speakers from my short-list:

- KEF Q-series

- JBL L800-series

- B&W CM-series due to its price level

- Sonus Faber Domus series due to its price level but also because of the "Sonus Faber" sound that I also think adds to the music.

- B&W 600-series as I have already audition them and I didn't like what I heard. The finish is also poor IMO.

Like you JackA I have never understood the fuss about the B&W speakers and I must admit that added the CM and the 600-series to my list just for the sake of getting a second opinion.

These speakers will be replaced on the short-list:

- Mordaunt Short: Aviano by Mezzo

- Focus Audio: FC by FS

The odd shaped B&W VM-series and the KEF KHT 600 package will remain on my list as I am very curious to hear how they sound.

What about the Vienna Acoustic Schönberg series, do you know anything about them?

Finally, many thanks for the link and the telephone number to the Magnepan distributor.

A note on those "speaker packages" - I think they fall under the category of "style speakers", a compromise for small rooms where sheer size is important (WAF factor as well), but not really meant for room filling auditions, I am certain that you'll end up disappointed though - give them a listen and see yourself amazed of the sound (because you automatically take their size into consideration). They are a compromise and as long as you take them for what they are - give them a spin - usually optimized for HT use - not critical stereo performances.

About the Focus FS series, I think you can "cut" them as well, as they are easily outside of your budget (unless you go for the clones, which are very good).

About Vienna - I've only listened to their Bach (Signatures), which sounded great, but I've never heard them in a 5.1 setup.

Whenever you audition speakers, you need to take note of what source equipment is used, as that can have a profound influence.

(most rooms are probably treated, so is less of a factor).

About the Focus FS series, I think you can "cut" them as well, as they are easily outside of your budget (unless you go for the clones, which are very good).

Yes, I have already done that but mainly because of all reports I have read warning about their "bright" sound and matching difficulties with bright sounding amplifiers.

The life-style speakers are merely of an academic interest and I want to hear how well they sound and compare them to Bose's Acousticmass speaker system, which is not a favourite of mine but I once bought that set for my daughter.

There are one thing I am still wondering about and that is my fairly small and odd listening space. I am used to square rooms sizing well over 30m2 but our new lounge will, as mentioned, be 4.6m x 4.7 with one side fully open, i.e. no reflections, and the other side being glass. I am therefore also considering a Dynaudio Excite set comprising X16's as front speakers. I am not too concerned about X16's limited base range as I will use my Velodyne DD10 for frequencies below 50 Hz to 60 Hz something, whichever sounds best. The DD10 has a 1,000 W PWM-amplifier and comes with tuning tools to optimise it to the room's characteristics.

Any first-hand experience of the X16?

I would drop by Conice & check out

M15

Multi channel control center. Modular, upgradeable.

Sure you could go Theta or Lexicon but these are cheaper.

Then just get the matching 5 channel amplifier.

Yes, NAD's M15 is one of the processors I am considering, if I can afford it. Do you have any idea of how much it costs here in Thailand?

Theta and Lexicon would be beyond my budget I suppose, unless I stumble on a second hand unit. However, before I decide on the processor/amplifier, or alternatively a receiver, I will first select the speakers.

In that case, may I suggest that you take a hard look at the Dynaudio Focus 110, which seems tailored for your requirements, much more so than the Excite x16, Even though it's miniscule, the sound is not.

You really need to give them an audition, right next to the X16, and I'm sure you will agree, seeing that your room is quite small, floorstanding speakers probably would be too much of a good thing.

Just to keep you going:

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Dynaudio-Focus-110/

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1208/dynaudio_focus_110.htm

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/dynaudiousa/floorstanding-speakers/focus-110-/PRD_342780_1594crx.aspx

http://www.avforums.com/forums/speakers/409944-dynaudio-focus-110-brief-review.html

http://www.piyanas.com/productdetail.php?cat=488.489&id=2198〈=en〈=en

I think you'll get the picture - while the Excite X16 is physically larger, the Focus 110 spanks it

left and right - including a LOT of bigger speakers as well. - Give them a listen!!!

Since my all time favorite standmount Contour 1.3SE is not in production anymore, the Focus 110 are the ones

that I'm eying for surround duties.

Edited by JackA

How does the Focus 110 sound stage marry with an Excite X22 center and two Excite X12 at the rear?

Four Focus 110 and one center Focus 220C cost 186,900 according to Piyanas home page and that is really to stretch my budget.

Yes, NAD's M15 is one of the processors I am considering, if I can afford it. Do you have any idea of how much it costs here in Thailand?

Theta and Lexicon would be beyond my budget I suppose, unless I stumble on a second hand unit. However, before I decide on the processor/amplifier, or alternatively a receiver, I will first select the speakers.

I just noted that the M15 retails for around £4,000 in the UK so this unit is out of the question as I cannot afford it within the budget I am prepared to allocate.

Went by Hi-Fi center yesterday.

Reasonably busy there, good selection of cables including my personal favorite Transparent Audio.

Saw a pair of Paradigm 100's which would make a killer set of fronts.

This pair were "brand new" floor demos. Price 79,000 baht.

Lots of nice audiophile cd's here & vinyl records.

Next off to Amarin.

Mostly all the dealers closed except KS World. Their ADCOM control center is 125,000 & balanced outputs, 6.1 or 7.1 not real sure. I think the NAD is 120,000 so a tossup. Except the NAD uses cards like Theta.

I would totally look at Paradigm speakers to save money.

Edited by powderpuff