General World Cup Discussion Thread

sharecropper

Thought we should have a general thread, to avoid the moaning when people post on the "Engerlund" one.

Does anyone thing the games so far have been disappointing. Just watched the end of the Japan v Cameroon game and, with the exception of the drama of the England v USA game and the battering of Australia by The Germans, the rest of the games have been pretty disappointing I think. And it can't just be the ball.

Anyone agree?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've watched every game so far and to tell you the truth it has been so boring that I end up surfing the net., getting info on the players that we are watching but know nothing about

Two games have been surf free. Argentina vs Nigeria and Germany vs Australia. The Dutch game this afternoon was absolute crap and Cameroon played like a bunch of muppets this evening.

I hope Paraguay go for it against Italy

Sorry for the rant...yes I agree but the best teams have yet to play...Spain Brazil Portugal....mouthwatering games still to enjoy!

Agreed.

I bet Nad also has these games covered as well, so his points tally will be off the scale. Maybe we should ask him to put Grobelaar in his team to help us all out if we club up and pay a bung (ahem)! :)

I've watched every game so far and to tell you the truth it has been so boring that I end up surfing the net., getting info on the players that we are watching but know nothing about

Two games have been surf free. Argentina vs Nigeria and Germany vs Australia. The Dutch game this afternoon was absolute crap and Cameroon played like a bunch of muppets this evening.

I know what you mean about net-surfing when the game is on.

I watched the Argentina game in a gogo bar on Walking Street, much to the confusion of assembled luscious lovelies who I completely ignored. Well, almost. But I couldn't really get a feel for the game.

Where is the USA thread thats what i want to know? :) or did you put it into the mental health forum :D

Agreed on the games so far not up to much but it is the first round of the group games and every country is on edge and scared of losing the first one so no free flowing stuff yet,i do think the next couple of days will see some good football by the favourites of the competition and then by the weekend it will start in earnest.

Smokie i have used all my transfers up though,so i will fall back into the pack when the reat of you get your <deleted> in gear! :D

I know what you mean about net-surfing when the game is on.

I watched the Argentina game in a gogo bar on Walking Street, much to the confusion of assembled luscious lovelies who I completely ignored. Well, almost. But I couldn't really get a feel for the game.

:)

:D

I dont care about whatever anyone says

but Ive enjoyed the Holland game :)

watched amidst a crowd of cheering and dancing Oranje fans!! :D

(but yes, do have to admit they could have done better, and hope their game improves before they face bigger names!)

Good result for the Dutch but I expected a much better football match. Some sparks of brilliance (van der Vaart, Elija) but overall too many fouls and the Danes were of course very disppointing. The Danish dynamite did not ignite.

A few notes about N.Korea: they have 5 players named Ri, another 5 named Kim, and 4 players named Pak. It must be tough for the coaches, and players when calling out strategies on the field, "Chan you need to pass to Kim, but you can also pass to Kim or Kim and sometimes to Kim or if in doubt pass to Kim, but don't forget to pass to Ri, or if he's covered, pass to Ri, and look downfield to see if Ri is open. If not pass to Ri or kick a traverse to Ri. Don't hog the ball, keep an eye out for Pak. If he's not open, pass to Pak, or if he's covered, pass to Pak. If all else fails, pass to Pak, but don't forget Kim and Kim and Kim and Kim and Kim and Ri and Ri and Ri and Ri and Ri or the other three Paks.

Also, N.Korea are rated #105 in the latest FIFA rankings. .....just one notch ahead of Thailand at #106.

I always root for the underdog, so it would be a gas if N.Korea pipped Brazil. In an earlier World Cup, Denmark played Brazil and the Danes scored the first point in the first minute. That woke the Brazilians up (probably were Samba dancing all the previous night) and the Brazilians went on to win by 1 point.

I've only watched a couple games, but I watch the highlights on fifa URL. Germany seem to be the only team thus far with explosive pizzazz that befits the W.Cup.

All the goalies thus far (except England's) have been great assets for their teams.

it's all a bit flat so far really isn't it? hopefully that's down to caginess in the opening round of matches and teams not really wanting to lose their first one so it should pick up a bit in the second round of games. plus of course brasil and spain yet to appear, though if anyone's expecting flair and showboating from brasil they could be in for a disappointment.

I enjoyed the Ghana game out of all the games so far.

As mentioned above, too much fear of losing the opening game has played a part, the final games of the group stages should be more entertaining with teams having to attack to qualify.

Part of the problem is we are too used to watching the premiership and being entertained, we are now seeing a European style on offer.

Not many quality games so far to be honest. England, France worst, Argentina modest as well as Italy. Holland ok, but not really convincing. The only game I really enjoyed was GER-AUS. The Aussies were weak, but the speed and passing of the Germans was impressive. The Africans? Ghana lucky, SA modest, Cameroon terrible. I expected the Africans much better, but it seems those teams are all still a collection of individuals and not a team.

Brazil vs. North Korea will be an easy one, but I am curious about Spain.

All the goalies thus far (except England's) have been great assets for their teams.

Are you serious? I have been rarely seeing so poor performances of goalkeepers in the past WC's. England, Algeria, Paraguay...uhmm can not remember all the strange performances. Might be the ball, the pitch or also the height above sea level, but many mistakes have been just ridiculous.

I enjoyed the Ghana game out of all the games so far.

As mentioned above, too much fear of losing the opening game has played a part, the final games of the group stages should be more entertaining with teams having to attack to qualify.

Part of the problem is we are too used to watching the premiership and being entertained, we are now seeing a European style on offer.

ghana weren't bad but serbia were enormously disappointing. they demonstrated everything that's wrong with playing 4-4-2.

the premiership is entertaining? since when? :)

it's all a bit flat so far really isn't it? hopefully that's down to caginess in the opening round of matches and teams not really wanting to lose their first one so it should pick up a bit in the second round of games. plus of course brasil and spain yet to appear, though if anyone's expecting flair and showboating from brasil they could be in for a disappointment.

Yes, good article in the Guardian with Carlos Alberto which says just that. Lets face it. as a player in the '94 competition he hardly exuded flair, and i think he's adopting his natural style of play which isn't exactly Tele Santana philosophy! I really did'nt think though he would have the balls to leave out both Ganso and Neymar. I really hope the concerns of the ex players and Brazillian public have arn't realised as i always support them when England are knocked out.

Personally, i think the first few days of this tournament have been mostly dod average but atleast we have Spain, Brazil and Portugal to come and hopefully it will get going.

Yes, good article in the Guardian with Carlos Alberto which says just that. Lets face it. as a player in the '94 competition he hardly exuded flair, and i think he's adopting his natural style of play which isn't exactly Tele Santana philosophy! I really did'nt think though he would have the balls to leave out both Ganso and Neymar. I really hope the concerns of the ex players and Brazillian public have arn't realised as i always support them when England are knocked out.

Personally, i think the first few days of this tournament have been mostly dod average but atleast we have Spain, Brazil and Portugal to come and hopefully it will get going.

i didn't see the big deal with leaving out the two kids, however talented they are. he still left out people like ronaldinho, adriano, diego and pato as well and they're senior, experienced players. dunga's very european in his coaching approach, he's all about the team and the results rather than individual flair and he's right to be that way.

i didn't see the big deal with leaving out the two kids, however talented they are. he still left out people like ronaldinho, adriano, diego and pato as well and they're senior, experienced players. dunga's very european in his coaching approach, he's all about the team and the results rather than individual flair and he's right to be that way.

I agree to a point but my point is it's not the Brazillian way and in his home country they are not at all happy with this direction. But ofcourse, if they win it will appease, but if they don't, out will come the i told you so's.

Sorry for the rant...yes I agree but the best teams have yet to play...Spain Brazil Portugal....mouthwatering games still to enjoy!

Agreed.

I bet Nad also has these games covered as well, so his points tally will be off the scale. Maybe we should ask him to put Grobelaar in his team to help us all out if we club up and pay a bung (ahem)! :)

He is only way ahead because he is making changes to his lineup every day

Once he runs out of subs. his lead will diminish

I think that many of us have been spoilt by watching the Premier League....fast and committed... and so far with the exception of the first half of the Argentine game we havnt seen much skill and committment.

Just hope that will come in the later games.

I think Nad has beat the system and has some managed to compile a team of 456 players.

I guess Nad has spent at least 5 mins more than the rest of us on tactics.....mind you I'm giving up if North Korea beat Brazil. :)

Im in need of a rant about 2 things in this WC.

1 There is empty seats like ive never seen before at a WC, give the tickets to kids, go round factories, give them to these striking workers just do whatever to fill the ground, empty seats are a sign a country shouldnt have got the WC IMO.

2. The gap between the first and second match is 45 minutes or so just enough time to get a bite to eat, make love to ones self etc etc.... , but the gap until the last game is 2 hours 45 minutes which feels like an eternity especially when struggling to stay awake for the bigger games have been on at this time (italy, England, Germany, Brazil, Argentina).

And id agree the games have been crap so far but its usually the same at this stage, its not until the last group games that it gets better.

1 There is empty seats like ive never seen before at a WC, give the tickets to kids, go round factories, give them to these striking workers just do whatever to fill the ground, empty seats are a sign a country shouldnt have got the WC IMO.

2. The gap between the first and second match is 45 minutes or so just enough time to get a bite to eat, make love to ones self etc etc.... , but the gap until the last game is 2 hours 45 minutes which feels like an eternity especially when struggling to stay awake for the bigger games have been on at this time (italy, England, Germany, Brazil, Argentina).

And id agree the games have been crap so far but its usually the same at this stage, its not until the last group games that it gets better.

Haven't looked at the schedule that closely but I think they are keeping the last match of the game late for European Audiences, perhaps? Lots of empty seats. Can't really give them away cause it would piss off the people who paid top dollar / Euro / Baht.

agree on both counts. the empty seats are apparently due to corporate guests and members of the 'FIFA football family' not sending their usual batch of freeloaders and liggers due to the flight prices being too expensive. so give the dam_n tickets back if you're not going to use them and let the local kids get in for free. shocking.

the gap between the 2nd and 3rd matches is bloody horrible. and it will be emphasised more in the knockout rounds when there are at most 2 matches a day.

Haven't looked at the schedule that closely but I think they are keeping the last match of the game late for European Audiences, perhaps?

yes, that's the usual reason. europe supplies most of the advertising revenues.

Lots of empty seats. Can't really give them away cause it would piss off the people who paid top dollar / Euro / Baht.

tough. <deleted> them. they can ask FIFA, set to make $1.7bn profit from the world cup, for a refund. fill the bloody stadia.

Maybe do everything you want to do in gap 1.... in gap 2,personally 45 minutes is ample time for me :D in fact i could nip out and have a pint as well!

Agree with you on the emptys though give em the kids! :D

Edit got my gaps muddled up.. :)

Edited by NADTATIDA1