General World Cup Discussion Thread

sharecropper

I am not sure why people want to change the most popular sport in the world.

What's next, getting half a goal for hitting the woodwork?

Are you happy with the amount of play acting in the game at the moment?

FIFA change the rules every year, for the last ten years they've been tweaking the rules to eliminate tackling, wouldn't it be better if they turned their attention to eliminating diving and play acting

Edited by noel2499rk

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wouldn't it be better if they turned their attention to eliminating diving and play acting

Yep. And video replay would eliminate it almost immediately. I don't actually think it would have to be used as much as some think. The fact it was there and ready would be deterent enough for most players.

wouldn't it be better if they turned their attention to eliminating diving and play acting

Yep. And video replay would eliminate it almost immediately. I don't actually think it would have to be used as much as some think. The fact it was there and ready would be deterent enough for most players.

This has always been precisely my argument. Just having video technology in place would put an end to much of the nonsense we now have to put up with, without it even having to be used. Players would know that they wouldn't get away with cheating and so would, by and large, stop doing it.

Same principle with stopping the clock to deal with time wasting. Time wasting becomes a waste of time because no time is wasted... if that makes any sense?!

• Like 1

This has always been precisely my argument. Just having video technology in place would put an end to much of the nonsense we now have to put up with, without it even having to be used. Players would know that they wouldn't get away with cheating and so would, by and large, stop doing it.

Ain't gonna happen while that old fart Blatter runs the office :(

Same principle with stopping the clock to deal with time wasting. Time wasting becomes a waste of time because no time is wasted... if that makes any sense?!

Too much tv money involved...

With the instant reply many things would have been changed in this WC.......few examples

1.- USA last minute goal against Slovenia would have been allowed.

2.- Italy's ghost goal against Slovakia might have been allowed ( it is not clear yet whether it was over the line or not ) and they would have been qualified for the next round.

3.- Lampard's ghost goal.........no comments.

4.- Tevez's goal against Mexico last night.......Mexico was playing very solid and who knows.

Instant reply must be used in football, it will not be a change in the most popular sport in the world but it will a BIG IMPROVEMENT!!!

I have long been an advocate of video technology, however in the case of Lampards goal, technology should not have been needed. The ball was that far over the line, that was just p!ss poor refereeing and linesmanship!! England were well and truly beaten and I am not using the 'goal' as an excuse, but it was truly the worst decision I can remember since Spurs-v Man United years ago.

Which brings me to the point of refereeing at the World Cup.

I assume that the referees are assessed during the tournament?? And that thge better referees would get the games coming up now??

That being the case, can anybody explain to me how the Spanish clown pertaining to be a referee, has got The Holland game tonight?

His performance in the German game where he sent off Klose was a pure joke. This guy is not fit to referee.

All I can say is anyone betting on the game (obviously outside Thailand <_< ) The over on yellow cards at 5 is an absolute certainty. Its a shame that a high profile game has got the potential of being ruined by such an inept referee. Surely there are better refs in the tournament??

Spanish ref tonight, why not Howard Web? Not enough conflict of interest perhaps

Its the same ref who reffed the Germany/ Serbia game.

Booked 8 players sent off Klose who made 2 innocuous tackles. Had NO control over the game.... completely spoiled it as an entertainment spectacle.

I got on Holland many weeks ago. I just hope the ref doesnt end up sending off Sneijder for having an offensive haircut, which means he will miss the Brazil game!!

Spanish ref tonight, why not Howard Web? Not enough conflict of interest perhaps

Its the same ref who reffed the Germany/ Serbia game.

Booked 8 players sent off Klose who made 2 innocuous tackles. Had NO control over the game.... completely spoiled it as an entertainment spectacle.

I got on Holland many weeks ago. I just hope the ref doesnt end up sending off Sneijder for having an offensive haircut, which means he will miss the Brazil game!!

I can Imagine the players have been briefed on the ref and so we will probably see a game almost devoid of tackles, although that doesn't mean he won't still find a reason to send someone off. Apparently this guy is the best ref in Spain, according to Sid Lowe an English journo working in Spain, and the world should be grateful we got him instead of other Spain refs who are worse.

Looking at the Dutch team sheet Kuyt and Van Der Vaart are starting again, I thought Robben was being rested until the knock out stages, how Van der Vaart gets the nod over Robben I don't know. I realize Kuyt and Van der Vaart bring stability and experience, but they are both so slow and Kuyt is just so predictable, the Slovakian full backs must have been delighted when they saw the team sheet.

I was looking forward to this WC for the last 18 months or so, whenever it was clear England would qualify.

But is anyone like me in agreeing that so far its been the worst WC in living memory.

It started with the rapist and the corrupt fcuker from FIFA trying to get front billing at the dreadful opening ceromony. After which there has been lots of absolutely teriible football in the majority of games, footballs that everyone thinks are no good .... vuvelas or whatever theyre called buzzing away for 90 minutes .... some of the worst refereeing decisions imagineable .... half empty grounds .... only a few players having decent performances ... huge gaps between games and finally England being worse then useless (but i thought the WC in 1994 was one of the best for atmosphere, drama etc...)

Roll on Euro 2012!

Edited by hansum

I was looking forward to this WC for the last 18 months or so, whenever it was clear England would qualify.

But is anyone like me in agreeing that so far its been the worst WC in living memory.

It started with the rapist and the corrupt fcuker from FIFA trying to get front billing at the dreadful opening ceromony. After which there has been lots of absolutely teriible football in the majority of games, footballs that everyone thinks are no good .... vuvelas or whatever theyre called buzzing away for 90 minutes .... some of the worst refereeing decisions imagineable .... half empty grounds .... only a few players having decent performances ... huge gaps between games and finally England being worse then useless (but i thought the WC in 1994 was one of the best for atmosphere, drama etc...)

Roll on Euro 2012!

agreed!

seems after all the hype and what not it hasnt lived up to expectations. maybe for a number of reasons, climate, pitches and especially the ball in coalition with some pretty piss poor performances from some so called highly rated teams.

anyway feel an upset is on the cards for tonights game between the dutch and brazil.

holland to send the brazilians packing!

Edited by tigerfish