Fedex And Customs Scam

slim

I recently arranged to have a small package (size of a shoe box) collected from the UK and delivered to me in Khon Kaen. The contents were worth about £50 (2223 THB) The freight charges were £35.00.

After the package was held up at Fedex Bangkok for over a week (I shan't go into details) I was telephoned and told the package would be delivered today (16th June).

I was then told there was a fee to be collected on delivery. The fee which was for Customs and other miscellaneous charges was a jaw dropping 5799 THB !

I asked how could fees be twice the price of the value of the goods and was sent a breakdown of the charges.

The value of the package Customs decided wasn't 2223 THB but 16,000 THB. There was no explanation for this even though I'd included the original invoices for the goods with the package.

Is this a scam? and has anyone else had anything like this experience with Fedex and/or Customs Bangkok?

Edited by slim

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to remember that in Thailand you are at the mercy of people like this all of the time. Was the package in any way worth so much more than the declared amount ?

I would avoid sending anything to Thailand unless it's 100% urgent, even then you're leaving yourself open to all sorts of abuses and extortion attempts.

I think these greedy idiots at customs key off of Fed EX. dont ship through fed ex and you should be fine!

Most of the comlaints about customs comes from people that have used Fed EX or another big carrier.

Greg

Battery operated toys ....used....one carefull lady owner.....joke...:)

On a serious note...they are nothing more than landlocked pirates...<deleted> for sure:angry:

Edited by rizla

Between the Thai Customs and the shipping companies, they are nothing less than thieves!

I have a friend in China who "donated" a box of Company logo T-shirts and hats, these were intended to be give away free to the local kids that have formed a bike club and a learning/adventure group.

The value of the goods shipped from China was stated as 180US, and also stated as Not For Resale.

Between the Thai customs and DHL - they concocted a price for import of 17,000 Baht!

I was asked by DHL to send an E mail to confirm that it was a charitable gift - which I have now done 3 times, yet still they ask for 17K - I have basically told them to shove it where the sun doesn't shine!

Nothing but a bunch of crooked SCUM!

We were simply giving a bunch of poor local kids a set of matching hats and T shirts for their weekend bike rides and their once a year holiday to wherever - where they want to all dress the same and be a team! They have managed to secure donations from local firms - the odd bike here the odd this and that - as they really don't have any spare cash. This is how Thailand treats the poor - no wonder the Redshirts are so bloody popular! EAT THE RICH!

Edited by billythefish

Fedex and UPS are the worst. DHL is a bit better in getting a better valuation out of Customs. I don't think Fedex or UPS even try.

I once had to pay UPS 1,000 baht to get a package clearly marked as documents. The problem is the courier services goes ahead and pays the duties and then holds your package hostage. It is too late to make a deal with customs.

TH

We ordered one of these My link and had it shipped by air courier to Bangkok. They tried to impose a massive US$1,000 duty. I had someone call them up who told them that such vessels were classified as duty-free, and they waived the lot.

Never, ever, ever, ever use DHL or UPS for anything!!!!!

Always use your local govt. mail, USPS or whatever and send it registered mail so you can track it.

Sending mail out the same way, registered, as EMS can be expensive too.

1. You don't always have a choice of which shipping company another company uses.

2. My remailing company don't use USPS because of unreliability, something which I have been warned about by others.

Always use your local govt. mail, USPS or whatever and send it registered mail so you can track it.

Agreed! If you use the local post here and the local post from your own country (in my experience I have never ever had a parcel, letter stopped) Use those bastards at DHL and you are going to get shafted big time!

The only time I had a problem with the Royal Thai Mail was about 12 years back, I stupidly sent my wife an air ticket to Hong kong with some Thai Baht that was left over from a previous visit - they opened the envelope - stole the Baht - but thankfully left the ticket...you live and learn!

Edited by billythefish

In the last few months i had to buy some things from the USA to Phuket.

As they had UPS as the only option and I heard off-course all the experiences I was afraid that I would be hammered with import tax.

You can imaging how happy surprised I was when the first package came after 7 days.

The total value was 15000 Baht and I had to pay 800 Baht tax which is 5.3 %.

The second package was 31000 Baht and I had to pay 4000 baht which is 13 %.

Both packages were car audio equipment which is normally 60 % import tax so far I know.

Maybe i was very lucky but until now I can't complain with UPS.

Both packages arrived within 7 days from the USA with a very reasonable import tax to be paid.

I know a guy with a business here, every time a package is sent to him by FedEx they keep hold of it until he stumps up some extra cash. I guess the best thing to do is write a written complaint to the head office which i assume is in America with the receipts etc.

Yes, i think going by the Thai post office is a better idea in future, it's one of the few things here that seems to work quite well.

Many farang under declare the values.

Many farang submit fake invoices.

Hence now Custom don't believe honest farang.

same same

Many Thai girls give fake information when applying visa.

Many Thai girls sell their body while traveling overseas.

Hence now all Thai girls are guilty of intending to sell their body unless proven otherwise.

Don't believe me? Try go to a farang embassy with me, hand in hand, and try to apply for a tourist visa. And just observes their stare and reaction.

Especially the German, UK & US embassy.

1. You don't always have a choice of which shipping company another company uses.

2. My remailing company don't use USPS because of unreliability, something which I have been warned about by others.

I have had 4 packages mailed here through USPS and nothing ever arrived. I am a slow learner. Now I do everything through Fedex and all gets through but still have to pay a lot when it arrives but things always get here. I would never let the Thai postal employees have a chance again at stealing my goods. Never again. The last time I had a letter sent here from America through the USPS it took three days from America to Bkk and 14 days from BKK to Pattaya. It was a time sensitive form the Social Security folks needed filled out and returned within a month. So Social Security cut off my funds...

My friend runs a small business and relies on shippings from USA by FEDEX. She has received many times a 'bill' form customs for taxes that was even up to 3 times the value of the goods. Go to the local office and you can protest it (with necessary paperwork) after a few days they will 'recalculate' your taxes.

Its a pain... but TIT...

I don't know what to say - apart from...

For a simple personal import like this, you should be prepared to stand-back and simply 'refuse' any item sent to you if the customs and other miscelaneous charges are too high. I have successfuly been refunded by the insurance of the usual couriers DHL, UPS, FEDEX etc who often advertise door-to-door shipping, because I didn't receive the goods... and then strangely, even after being refunded by the shipping insurance, the goods were belated delivered to me by normal Thai Post many months later. Stupid.:D

Somehow, Amazon Books seam to get get stuff sent to me in days from the outer reaches of the Galaxy - I think they use some snazzy transporter system in a customs office back room, where all the customs officers are reclined on sofas watching the world cup while chasing huge dragons of Burmese finest Khun Saa grade-1A 'smack' from peace pipes the size of coffee mugs. yer, that would work. he he he.

So to summarise, for personal stuff, if you don't carry it with you when you arrive at the airport, and it is within your allowances, shipping stuff into a Thailand is often like a game a roulette.

On a commercial basis, after a very long and beuracratic application process, our company is now registered for 'Thai paperless customs' clearance privalages. which simply means that everything from our designated carriers comes straight to us, often on the same day it arrives at Suvanbhumi Airport, and we get a single import duty demand at the end of the month. We registered all the usual couriers such as DHL, FEDEX, UPS, TNT, etc. and the system works fine.

We don't have any hasles importing stuff any more, and all import duties and agents fees are 'as expected'

Sadly, the efficient 'Paperless Customs clearance' system appears to be very underused by companies in Thailand - and at the time of application, there were fewer than 550 Companies registered under this system - that's less than 10 companies per 76 changwat in Thailand. Our nearest customs office for Paperless Customs Clearance application is at Laem Chabang. Ltd Co's only. Take your Thai accountant with you, and be prepared to be going backwards and forwards for a week or two bringing ever more banal and archaic pieces of your company's paperwork from the year 'dot', for inquisitorial-like inspection.

For other stuff, we try to obtain it from suppliers in ASEAN countries - sometimes stuff is 'accidently' re-shipped to us this way, and somehow arrives marked as 'used, origin (say) Singpore' in a repackaged old box. and at a knock down price. Fancy that. :)

It is certainly worth remembering that Import duties for stuff from ASEAN countries are a fraction of that for stuff shipped directly from the west - and the stuff comes to us directly, wtihout problems, every time.:D

REGISTERED, REGISTERED, REGISTERED MAIL USPS. You will get it. Again, that's REGISTERED mail USPS.

I have had 4 packages mailed here through USPS and nothing ever arrived. I am a slow learner. Now I do everything through Fedex and all gets through but still have to pay a lot when it arrives but things always get here. I would never let the Thai postal employees have a chance again at stealing my goods. Never again. The last time I had a letter sent here from America through the USPS it took three days from America to Bkk and 14 days from BKK to Pattaya. It was a time sensitive form the Social Security folks needed filled out and returned within a month. So Social Security cut off my funds...

same same

Hence now all Thai girls are guilty of intending to sell their body unless proven otherwise.

Don't believe me? Try go to a farang embassy with me, hand in hand, and try to apply for a tourist visa. And just observes their stare and reaction.

Will you dress yourself on 6 inch heels and put up a lot of make up and go in tight clothes .. if so id like to see that and take you to the Dutch embassy. :)

You really try to get a lot of responses with your posts don't you.

Customs here are a law unto themselves. To get a job in Customs requires a payment of 100,000 Baht (test it out with your girl/boyfriend) and then that paves the way to big money split monthly. It has been going on for years and is one of the most corrupt organisations similar to the Painters and Dockers Unions on waterfronts globally.

Avoid dealing anything through Customs if you can and I still use EMS - costly but not as bad as FedEx, UPS and DHL. You can of course go out there - negotiate a deal and take a Brown Shirt ranking officer or a Pol Lt General- that is the only thing that has worked for me in the past. All else - just 'pay the man'! T.I.T. ph34r.gifph34r.gif

same same

Sounds like you have done this many times.

• 2 weeks later...

Having only dealt with customs once at the airport in the mid 90's and gotten a sour taste, how are the duties handled when you buy an item and have it shipped from outside the country - do you pay the shipper or are you responsible when you receive the item?

• 1 year later...

sorry to bring up an old thread but ...........

is customs negeotiable ?

ive just recieved a bill from the postman for a shoes from ebay

they are just an old pair of workboots on sale in the uk for £20 quid + £7.50 worldiwde postage

customs estimate valued them at 3000 thb + shipping + tax + handling charge

and now im they want me to pay triple what the thing is worth ?

is there any point in going down with a print out from the bank or credit card statement to prove the value or should i just pay them and get it over with ? :)

When I ship something by post, I send out a Thai script address label (email) - all in Thai except "THAILAND" on the bottom - and get the vendor to send via registered mail using the label. They nearly always comply - never paid more than 7baht this way!

When I have been sent documents via UPS or DHL it is usually documents (won't use them otherwise) and I make them put them in document boxes (like a stiff envelope) rather than a box. Then it gets through free of tax.

When I ship something bigger, I use an agent in Bangkok and get them to door to door it to me - they have good deals with customs and I pay far less than if I did it myself or left it to customs to guess. In November I shipped 40 cubic metres of stuff over in one shipping (by boat) and paid no tax at all - it can be done if the paperwork is right, the right contacts are made (by the agent) and given the rules as to importation of the products (different things have different values - suplicates of exempt items become not exempt if considered luxury to duplicate - e.g. it is fine to have two jackets, but not 2 TV's).

Edited by wolf5370

is customs negeotiable ?

they are just an old pair of workboots on sale in the uk for £20 quid + £7.50 worldiwde postage

is there any point in going down with a print out from the bank or credit card statement to prove the value or should i just pay them and get it over with ? smile.png

Worth going and haggling and meeting in the middle - may save you a couple of grand. Depends if the journey is worth the money saved.

is customs negeotiable ?

is there any point in going down with a print out from the bank or credit card statement to prove the value or should i just pay them and get it over with ? smile.png

Worth going and haggling and meeting in the middle - may save you a couple of grand. Depends if the journey is worth the money saved.

such a war to get a pair of shoes that fits, i have looked all around shops and its dam_n near impossible to buy safety shoes in bkk if you want a size 45 or 46

usually i can find a pair of sandles in 45 somewhere but proper european standard safety boots are hard to come by