British Woman Survives Monkey Attack During Phuket Holiday

webfact

British woman survives macaque attack during Phuket holiday

gallery_327_1086_23014.jpg

SAVAGED: From her bed at Bangkok Hospital Phuket, Ms Darwell wanted to warn others of the potential dangers of a trip Monkey Island in Krabi.

gallery_327_1086_8338.jpg

Macaque

source: wikipedia.org

PHUKET: -- A British woman with a life-long fear of monkeys was seriously injured by several primates while visiting Monkey Beach on Phi Phi Don Island on May 21.

Dee Darwell, 56, arrived in Phuket on May 18 and had a couple of “lovely” days before setting off on a one day trip to Phi Phi Don and surrounding islands with Siam Seacanoe tour company.

One stop on the tour was Monkey Beach, named for its large population of crab-eating macaques.

Ms Darwell, whose father kept an “evil” chimpanzee that fostered her “intense dislike” for primates.

Despite this Ms Carwell agreed to take the boat trip to the island with her friend.

Arriving around noon, Ms Darwell considered staying on the boat while the other 35 tourists enjoyed up-close encounters with the monkeys.

But rather than endure the sun, she opted to lay down her towel on a rock near the shoreline.

“I thought I was heading for safety under this rock in the shade, only to cool down. I laid the towel down and there were no monkeys in sight,” said Ms Darwell.

“The next thing I noticed, this monkey walked up next to me and I thought, ‘Oh dear,’ and I began to stand up to move away.

“Then, the monkey took my wrist and pounced on my right arm, sinking his teeth in and hung off it. He wouldn’t let go; he was locked on. I was absolutely petrified. I was shaking from head to foot and I froze,” she said.

“There was one man, a tourist, and when he saw the monkey bite me, he screamed and ran off…Then another, bigger monkey bit my arm, just next to the other one biting me, and all of a sudden I was surrounded by monkeys.”

Three or four of the creatures began attacking her from all sides, grabbing her arms, legs and rear end, leaving bruises all over her body.

“I thought, ‘this is it, I’m going to die, I’m going to be savaged by these monkeys,’ then I went into shock.”

Ms Darwell does not remember how she was rescued, but was later told that the boat crew had gotten the monkeys away from her.

The next thing she remembers was the blood “pumping out of a deep, deep hole” near her right wrist. “It was like it was all going in slow motion and I was watching a movie,” she said.

The boat crew were well prepared and very efficient in treating her wound, cleaning it and covering it with a bandage.

However, the treatment ended there, according to Ms Darwell; she was not immediately taken back to Phuket for further medical attention.

“I didn’t want to make a fuss in front of everyone on the tour, but for sure they should have ferried me straight back to the hospital,” she said.

Instead of taking her back to Phuket, the tour continued as scheduled with a stop for lunch, where she had to pay for a beach chair and couldn’t eat because of the pain and her “dazed” state. She said she was only given paracetamol for the “intense” pain.

“I thought, ‘I’ve paid to come on this trip, I’ve been bitten by a monkey, been brought here for a lunch I couldn’t eat and I’ve just come here to rest and now I have to pay extra for a place to rest,’” she recalled.

Yongyut Buasod, the Siam Seacanoe guide responsible for Ms Darwell’s tour, said that they did warn her of the dangers of bacterial infection and offered to take her to a hospital, but a friend with her said that she could take her herself.

Ms Darwell said that after arriving back in Phuket around 5pm or 6pm, she went to Patong Hospital.

Sensing a worsening infection, she went to Bangkok Hospital Phuket on May 28, where she underwent a surgical procedure to remove rotten flesh.

Ms Darwell said that her main complaint was with the lack of warning given on the potential dangers on the trip.

“I wouldn’t have got off that bloody boat if the tour guide would have said at all that there was any danger, any risk, even the slightest risk. I would not have gotten off that boat,” she said.

Mr Yongyut said, “We bring tourists to this beach every day, and we always warn them about the monkeys. But, in a group of about 40 tourists, you’re always going to have someone who doesn’t listen.

“We can’t control the monkeys if they decide to bite someone, that’s why we always warn the tourists. That day some people were teasing the monkeys. They don’t necessarily attack the specific person teasing them.

“Every tour company bringing tourists here warns their customers. We, also, don’t want to have problems like this. The tourists don’t have to get off the boat if they don’t want to,” he said.

She ended by saying, “Come to Thailand because it’s the most beautiful place and the people are lovely – just keep away from the monkeys.”

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-06-17

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always carry a stick when monkeys are around, and they recognize the gesture of reaching down for a (real or imaginary) rock.

That's not sufficient if you are carrying food, which is an invitation for attack. Don't eat, and even be careful of your water bottle.

I believe that monkeys can sense fear, and if you show some bravado, you can sometimes intimidate them. I make noises and facial grimaces. Looks stupid, but it helps.

My final secret: I have a wonderful Wrist Rocket with double surgical tubing and stainless steel ball bearings for ammo. I'd never bring it out in front of Thai people, and never in a temple, but when I'm out hiking or walking in nowhere land, I have no qualms about inflicting a little pain - they'll spread the word...

This is scary and tragic...and I'm trying not to laugh that someone had the gall to charge for a sunbed to lay down on while her arteries were pulsing thick red blood all over the beach. Its true too that these monkeys don't take kindly to being 'shooed' away and are more likely to react by showing their large sharp teeth and moving towrds you rather than away. Reckon she's still got her life-long fear of monkeys...

We always warn people about the monkeys but in a group of 40 there is always someone who doesn't listen???

Listen to what? that the monkeys will attack you for no reason and savage you?

I tend to think that our idea of a warning and Khun Yongut's are slightly different!

Notice that if you substitute the word "monkey" with the words "Phuket taxi driver", the story makes even more sense?

" I just returned from my Amazing vacation in Thailand, and all I got was this t-shirt and a Frickin monkey bite on my arm"

Simple rules for dealing with animals

1. Animals are very territorial

2. Animals can always sense fear

3. Do not go to monkey beach if you are scared of monkeys

4. If you do decide to go, you can not stray alone and feel fear because they will attack, same goes for dogs, cats and every one animal. If you come to their territory you must assert your presence.Keep in mind that monkeys are pack animals so if 1 attacks-others will join.

Monkeys give me the creeps. Their little creepy hands, their creepy little faces. I wouldn't even go somewhere named Monkey Beach.

I know, I know! And there creepy little feet, toes and plans to take over the world.......Ha ha

This is scary and tragic...and I'm trying not to laugh that someone had the gall to charge for a sunbed to lay down on while her arteries were pulsing thick red blood all over the beach. Its true too that these monkeys don't take kindly to being 'shooed' away and are more likely to react by showing their large sharp teeth and moving towrds you rather than away. Reckon she's still got her life-long fear of monkeys...

.........and on top of everything, the "friendly" natives charged her for a place to sit. Phuket gets more like a shit hole every day.

Edited by Navalator

Monkeys are nasty creatures.. I once saw a GSD US Army issue K-9 rip a monkey to pieces while it fellow buddies looked on screaming for the dog to stop. The dog would run back and forth biting at the monkey buddies and then back to the dying monkey.. it was absolutely YOU TUBE stuff but this was long before hand held cameras or the internet. We are talking 1965. Even before 9mm glocks.. we are talking M-14's and the new M-16's only then did we have them old 45 calibers from yesteryear. The splatter would be intense for sure. So, we let the dog do it. Daddy said all we have is our memories when we get old.. he was right.. but boy I sure wished I had a Sony webcam for some of what I have seen over my 60+ years.. Jimi Hendrix snortin' back stage at the Isle of Wight, John Lennon token away at the EMI studio in London in 1969 with all my mates.. hangin with Keith Moon and Mick Jagger in a toilet in Hammersmith..doing a nasty.. Watchin Elton John have a fight with Cat Steven at the Round House at Chalk Farm in 1970.. Great YOU TUBE footage for sure

But monkeys attacking a Brit woman sunbathing on a beach in Thailand would have been unreal...

<snip> But this monkey business (pun intended) is really the sort of thing that happens - tour group, takes the money, the lady in the wrong place at the wrong time - and then the Thai's scream 'plausible denial'!!! But then that they did not pick up the cost of a lounge chair (good PR) and were lax in identifying the possible distress the lady was under. But apart from the excuses, the lady also must be chided for lack of intelligence as heading off by oneself on an animal infested island - who knows?

At any rate - another slap in the tourism business faces. T.I.T.

I suppose the company did not have any insurance, maybe the tourist and certainly not the monkey's! blink.gif

Edited by toptuan
Forum rule #7: Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality...

Notice that if you substitute the word "monkey" with the words "Phuket taxi driver", the story makes even more sense?

Yeah.. good suggestion...and I just tried re-reading it and substituted the word "Monkey" for "Phuket Taxi Driver" and it makes a lot more sense,... and scarier for sure.

The poor lady... I shouldn't laugh but this statement just cracked me up,...

“I thought, ‘I’ve paid to come on this trip, I’ve been bitten by a monkey, been brought here for a lunch I couldn’t eat and I’ve just come here to rest and now I have to pay extra for a place to rest,’” she recalled.

Welcome to Thailand UK lady! :)

hi,

i had an experience on that beach - i got too close to a mother and baby and i presume was the father one really wasn't happy - i had to run into the sea cos i though it was going to be pounced on - i think 3 or 4 were chasing me at one point.

after i got out of the sea laughting i just sat on the bech and a couple of them sat right next to me which was kinda nice.

i went there on the way to 'the beach' island.

i went there expecting to be able to interact someway give them fruit etc but that beach is too small in my opinion and too many monkeys with no trees etc

also i saw some young blokes teasing them pretending to give them water then hitting there heads with there bottles which can't help.

i have a feeling there's loads of incidents on that beach .

think maybe i was lucky looking back.

i did have the mind thought that i had to be careful and possibly they can attack to maybe that's why something almost happened ?

I found the monkeys in Bali even more aggressive, you never know what they will do.

[/quote

Especially around Uluwatu temple... but they are trained -for decades- to steal cameras, purses or sunglasses...

A few hundred ruppiah for their master will buy them "pisang"... and receive your items back... :)

Hate those little buggers. If by some chance I must be anywhere they could be, even though I don't smoke, carry a cigarette lighter. All it takes is a bit of flame, and they keep their distance.