British Woman Survives Monkey Attack During Phuket Holiday

webfact

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is Thailand coming to? Why do they hate foreigners so much that they sent their trained killer monkeys to attack them? Hope she asked for a refund and got one. Fancy only having paracetamol on board? Don't most standard First Aid kits come with morphine as standard. What is the world coming to? In my day etc etc etc.

Sorry...I just cannot belive this is headline news. I was expecting the poor woman to be on the verge of death, considering she 'survived a monkey attack'. How many deaths are there from monkey attacks each year to make this such a interesting? Surely more accurately is 'woman is bitten by monkey'. Must have been a slow day in Phuket.

The monkeys are vicious little shites in Krabi though, remember being at the Tiger Temple and having my fruit stolen off me by a lady monkey, who then sat down to eat it and was promptly raped by a bigger male and it was stolen from her... som nom na I guess!

I don't doubt her veracity or that big macaque attack is serious (certainly on the level of a Big Mac attack) but in her retelling she speaks of monkeys hanging off both arms with their fangs sunk deep in to her flesh and in the photo she's smiling with a couple of plasters to cover her gaping wounds.

Time for Thai police to crackdown on these monkeys.:)

....that would be an "inside" job and i don't think is going to happen anytime soon

Edit: somehow the text went missing....

post-73039-080411300 1276765489_thumb.jp

post-73039-025936500 1276765512_thumb.jp

post-73039-031386400 1276765532_thumb.jp

Edited by surayu

This is scary and tragic...and I'm trying not to laugh that someone had the gall to charge for a sunbed to lay down on while her arteries were pulsing thick red blood all over the beach. Its true too that these monkeys don't take kindly to being 'shooed' away and are more likely to react by showing their large sharp teeth and moving towrds you rather than away. Reckon she's still got her life-long fear of monkeys...

I have 100+ similar monkeys living at the back of my house who are very sure of themselves and enter my house regulary to steal food but let's face it the Alpha male is only 2ft tall standing and I'm sure his neck would snap easily if he bit me. They're much more scared of us so shout and walk briskly towards them and I gurantee they'll run. Like dogs they can sense fear and I'd be much more scared confronted by a pack of street dogs than my neighbourhood monkeys. Kids need to be warned of the dangers of monkeys but adults can kick the crap out of them and if you get bit the rabies vacine is full proof even if administered after the bites!

Edited by Jirapa

Time for Thai police to crackdown on these monkeys.:)

....that would be an "inside" job and i don't think is going to happen anytime soon

Edit: somehow the text went missing....

post-73039-080411300 1276765489_thumb.jp

post-73039-025936500 1276765512_thumb.jp

post-73039-031386400 1276765532_thumb.jp

We're squating on their land so why a crackdown?

I hope this poor lady has not become infected with HIV

Are you mad? Tell me one case of a human getting HIV from a monkey. If you honestly believe that the epidemic of AIDS comes from lonely travellers or locals lost in the jungle and making love to primates you need to go back to school!

I'm glad the lady is OK and it was a nasty incident. However I'm not sure I agree with all the "they should have told me monkeys were dangerous" etc.

It's only a guess but I think the Thai people might expect people to have a little common! The word Numpty springs to mind. It does my nut back in the UK where everyones trying to blame

someone else and get some money for their own lack of common bloody sense. Your in a foriegn country, your on a remote-ish island, your scared of monkeys

and history of bad vibes with monkeys.....er, don't get off the boat and if you do go with everyone else and stand behind them and consider an action plan of perhaps

running in to the sea should things go nasty. I know all this occured to me when I went there, doubt I'm the only one either.

Harsh but true...IMHO.

Hello everyone,

I was at that very beach not long ago and I know exactly the spot where the english lady may have sat..I decided to meditate at this beautiful spot when all the tourists went away.. Whilst there with my eye shut naturally, I suddenly heard something/somebody closing up on me swiftly. There were few little monkies which quickly managed to steal my rucksak containing my passport, cameras etc..I thought they're lloking for food, in spite of my attempts of snatching it back from them I was then approached by some bigger monkies which defended their own little ones.

I managed to avoid them and run into the sea..Little that I knew they followed me into the sea too..! I could not go very far and quickly enough due to the rocks underneath. However they decided to back off luckily..Now my misson was to get my rucksak back..! It was a mental waiting game which lasted until 19.00 As everytime I tried to get near to my rucksak they defended their grounds witht their sharp teeths..They even chased me up to the rocks which I'd manged to climb, I was armed by a stick ( wet ) which I picked up from the beach on my way up to the rocks..Whilst up the rocks ( I got scratched legs and arms but I was feeling no pain due to my adrenaline running sky high then ) I saw some people snorkeling approaching..I did try to shout and warn them ( whilst up on the rocks ) about the danger they were about to face but they wouldn't listen so one of the girl ( who apparently thought that the small monkies were sooo cute ) Got bitten by one of them, others followed fairly soon too..

Once they were aware by the danger they fled the beach while I was still hanging off the rocks like a monkey myself..

I was still looking for an opportunity to get my rucksak back..Eventually, when everything and everyone seemed calm and desolated ( most of the time was like that until someone would turn up on their beach then they'd come out numerously) I now acted on getting my bag back which was left by the monkies and I succeded..! yeee haaa!

How did I end up there..?! I did the tour with another 12 people on a longtail boat within the Kho Phi Phi islands..It was already cloudy when we left, I could see that the rain was on the way.. To make a long story short due to the rain and the big waves which we experienced during the entire time I decided to separate myself from everyone and stay on this beautiful corner of the world, until..you know the latter..

In spite of some scratches on my leg and arms I managed to come out of this ordeal without any bite..I just waited for my moment to act upon..Clearly they did not want me there...So, this experience tought and reminded me to respect the animal's territorial grounds bearing in mind that we are the intruders..!

Stafe safe and respect the nature of the universe as it is for your sake.

Ramdas..

im also scared of monkeys,and tuk tuk drivers,girls who try to get you in to a bar,immigration, now they are scary,dentists and thai hospitals,all very scaary.last week my friend was assaulted in a ladyboy bar when all he said was,can you push my stool in please,airplanes,very scary,oh and bungy jumping,so my point is be afraid,be very afraid

Whooooooaaaaa.....haha, how do find the courage to get out of bed ?! ( but i'm the same, but try hard to hide it even from myself )

By the way the reason why I highlited the fact that the stick was wet is that I could noteven lit it up to keep the monkes off..! In the end and finally my inital longtail boat which I started the tour with turned up at 19.00 As I was already thinking of how to prepare myself for the night and prepare myself to face further fears and possible animal's attacks..Again..respect the nature and the nature will respect you back..

Cheers, Ramdas..

Monkeys are nasty creatures.. I once saw a GSD US Army issue K-9 rip a monkey to pieces while it fellow buddies looked on screaming for the dog to stop. The dog would run back and forth biting at the monkey buddies and then back to the dying monkey.. it was absolutely YOU TUBE stuff but this was long before hand held cameras or the internet. We are talking 1965. Even before 9mm glocks.. we are talking M-14's and the new M-16's only then did we have them old 45 calibers from yesteryear. The splatter would be intense for sure. So, we let the dog do it. Daddy said all we have is our memories when we get old.. he was right.. but boy I sure wished I had a Sony webcam for some of what I have seen over my 60+ years.. Jimi Hendrix snortin' back stage at the Isle of Wight, John Lennon token away at the EMI studio in London in 1969 with all my mates.. hangin with Keith Moon and Mick Jagger in a toilet in Hammersmith..doing a nasty.. Watchin Elton John have a fight with Cat Steven at the Round House at Chalk Farm in 1970.. Great YOU TUBE footage for sure

But monkeys attacking a Brit woman sunbathing on a beach in Thailand would have been unreal...