British Woman Survives Monkey Attack During Phuket Holiday

webfact

Quoted...She ended by saying, "Come to Thailand because it's the most beautiful place and the people are lovely – just keep away from the monkeys."

A good example of not knowing when to stop talking, already...!!!

I DO find it amazing, even in the LOS, that she wasn't taken to the nearest hospital post haste! The risk of infection from a severe monkey bite would be crystal clear to ANYONE, seems to me!!!

God... cover your ass, be insensitive, unthinking, uncaring, and above all, stupid.

Edited by Pawpcorn

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it very hard to believe a person who is frightened/terrified of monkeys would not listen to the tour guides warning

Tourists OFTEN tune out the tour guides, whether its the accent or they just prefer to chat amongst themselves - who knows... Its entirely possible she was talking with her travel mate or another passenger when the warning was given. Also take some responsibility for your own actions and know what circumstances you are getting into... anyone who doesn't know primates are often aggressive shouldn't be venturing too far from their cave.

I was not suprised that the tour opertaor would not accomodate a seriously wounded client and stuck with the tour irrespective. Tourism here is a bottom feeding sector, land of smiles, yeah right.

Was she really seriously wounded? By her own time line she arrived in Phuket on the 18th, departed for a DAY TRIP to Phi Phi on the 20th or 21st, was back that evening - BUT after dumping on the tour operator for doing nothing she herself didn't go to (real) hospital until the 28th...????

I hope this poor lady has not become infected with HIV

or rabies.

Not likely BUT very likely to get some form of Hep...

At least she will have a better story to tell when she gets home, with any luck she will keep some of her friends from coming to Thailand. The people who continue to ignore the fact that monkeys, elephants, tigers ( as at the tiger temple), and dolphins( swimming with dolphins) are wild animals will soon be injured are worse. Some sort of common sense needs to be exercised when around such creatures.

Thailand yea

She ended by saying, "Come to Thailand because it's the most beautiful place and the people are lovely – just keep away from the monkeys."

I think the saying should be . . .

"Come to Thailand because it's the most beautiful place and the people are lovely – don't get eating by monkeys." :)

OR

"Come to Thailand because it's the most beautiful place and the people are lovely – watch out for the Monkeys!" :D

Laugh!

By the way the reason why I highlited the fact that the stick was wet is that I could noteven lit it up to keep the monkes off..! In the end and finally my inital longtail boat which I started the tour with turned up at 19.00 As I was already thinking of how to prepare myself for the night and prepare myself to face further fears and possible animal's attacks..Again..respect the nature and the nature will respect you back..

Cheers, Ramdas..

Great post, glad you survived with just scratches, the mental image of your monkey skirmish made me laugh out loud what a great story!

She should have stayed and mingled in with the crowd instead of going off, sleeping in some rocks on her own if she was so so scared. Glad the Lady is ok though.

Yep! Safety in numbers! She should not have been alone.

By the way the reason why I highlited the fact that the stick was wet is that I could noteven lit it up to keep the monkes off..! In the end and finally my inital longtail boat which I started the tour with turned up at 19.00 As I was already thinking of how to prepare myself for the night and prepare myself to face further fears and possible animal's attacks..Again..respect the nature and the nature will respect you back..

Cheers, Ramdas..

Thanks for the story glad you got ur stuff back. I won't be visiting this Island...

Monkey attacks down syndrome girl: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bDcBzUMN9nU

Top 10 most shocking animal attacks:

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/untamed-uncut-animal-attacks/?smid=YTAPC-YTD-PLP

Edited by Rainmon

I had a similar problem with monkeys in an open zoo in Thailand. My fault for leaving food in the back of the pick up. Went to chase the monkey out of the back and it came at me, baring it's teeth. Was taken aback for a second, but then I went Thai style on it... I took of one of my shoes. :) Smacked my hand with it and then went for the monkey. It and it's friends took off.

The pick up was my territory. :D

We always warn people about the monkeys but in a group of 40 there is always someone who doesn't listen???

Listen to what? that the monkeys will attack you for no reason and savage you?

I tend to think that our idea of a warning and Khun Yongut's are slightly different!

You think thats bad I once got nipped by a clown fish while snorkeling off Koh Lipe nobody warned me. I can't bear to watch Nemo anymore.

The nipper got bit few years back by one of these little bleeders and had to go for a course of rabies jabs. Not nice.

“We, also, don’t want to have problems like this. The tourists don’t have to get off the boat if they don’t want to,” he said.

:) How typical. And the reason you don't want problems like this is because of face and your business as opposed to what your priority should really be isn't it! If you ever have the chance to travel to a foreign land, Mr tour guide, I hope you find yourself in a trying situation because you weren't made fully aware and, more to the point, the guide didn't really give a shit about you. Pissing off a bull elephant in the wilds of Africa by waiing it the wrong way should teach you a lesson.

yeah makkak in my home country are also a big problem, doh, it are only people acting like monkeys that deserve that term ...

Yes, there is a high concentration of them in a place, which nowadays is usually called Borgerokko (a contraction of Borgerhout and Morocco).

The word “macaque” is not really politically correct when used in the figurative sense.

funny stuff!

I have a beach trip for you tomorrow, you insensitive MoFo....I'll even throw in the Honey Factor 5 cream for free........

Nothing insensitive! simple common sense.

If afraid of dogs do not go to dog kennel

if afraid of monkeys do not go to the monkey beach

How many other people have been attacked by monkeys on the monkey beach say for the last few years?

Are you mad? Tell me one case of a human getting HIV from a monkey. If you honestly believe that the epidemic of AIDS comes from lonely travellers or locals lost in the jungle and making love to primates you need to go back to school!

HIV did not come from making love nor having sex with monkeys, but it did come about from keeping many different breeds of sick monkeys in one caged area when doing vaccine research. HIV was an accidental bi-products of trying to prevent diseases. Do the research.

Are you mad? Tell me one case of a human getting HIV from a monkey. If you honestly believe that the epidemic of AIDS comes from lonely travellers or locals lost in the jungle and making love to primates you need to go back to school!

HIV did not come from making love nor having sex with monkeys, but it did come about from keeping many different breeds of sick monkeys in one caged area when doing vaccine research. HIV was an accidental bi-products of trying to prevent diseases. Do the research.

and i always thought HIV came from people eating monkey brains

I'm glad the lady is OK and it was a nasty incident. However I'm not sure I agree with all the "they should have told me monkeys were dangerous" etc.

It's only a guess but I think the Thai people might expect people to have a little common! The word Numpty springs to mind. It does my nut back in the UK where everyones trying to blame

someone else and get some money for their own lack of common bloody sense. Your in a foriegn country, your on a remote-ish island, your scared of monkeys

and history of bad vibes with monkeys.....er, don't get off the boat and if you do go with everyone else and stand behind them and consider an action plan of perhaps

running in to the sea should things go nasty. I know all this occured to me when I went there, doubt I'm the only one either.

Harsh but true...IMHO.

Agreed ,I think going to somewhere called 'Monkey Island' would probably be a reason not to go if you had a fear of monkeys :) .

Anyone else find it hard to take this story seriously? I walk amongst and feed dozens of monkeys every time I go walking up Khao Toe-Sae in Phuket Town. I guess the macaques up there must be the friendly ones.

[/url]

I suspect two things were in play.

1 ) she intruded alone on a particularly good place to treap crabs,<br>and it belongeds to an alpha individual.

2 ) when a tghreat display wasnot returned with a greater display,

AND she gave off the oder of fear she was attacked as a beta individual.

And percieved as a threat to the tribes food supply, who smelled like it could be beaten.

Thus the gang attack against a large, but fearful, intruder.

1 ) she intruded alone on a particularly good place to treap crabs,<br>and it belongeds to an alpha individual.

2 ) when a tghreat display wasnot returned with a greater display,

AND she gave off the oder of fear she was attacked as a beta individual.

And percieved as a threat to the tribes food supply, who smelled like it could be beaten.

Fully concur,

Especially when she removed herself from "her' pack,

creating a perception of vulnerability.

1 ) she intruded alone on a particularly good place to trap crabs, and it belonged to an alpha individual.

2 ) when a threat display was not returned with a greater display,

AND she gave off the oder of fear, she was attacked as a beta individual.

And perceived as a threat to the tribes food supply, who smelled like it could be beaten.

Fully concur,

Especially when she removed herself from "her' pack,

creating a perception of vulnerability.

Yes, also the pack was not there, and so even more so a individual that could be beaten,

and smelled like it could be beaten, and now support structure.

When you don't understand how a animal's culture works in it's domain, it's best to not enter it.

And if you are fundamentally unprepared to deal with that culture on it's terms, you are in trouble.

Do not spank the monkey.

In South Africa, on the cape, guards are aware that monkeys become daring and subsequently dangerous. ( usually in the form of stealing food and then getting aggressive if resisted) Any such behaviour is known to lead to escalation of danger and so offending monkeys are shot.

It is lunacy to take tourists to a monkey beach without comprehension of the fact that the naturally aggressive monkeys are learning new behaviours.....

my macaque story

§ twenty years ago , my first trip to LOS, was on Koh Tao and met the weird sailor- type expat by the beach with a lovely tiny macaque (like on the picture) on his shoulder ; I was interested in the lovely monkey and soon enough he came to my leg ,with its lovely eyes and lovely baby hands. I let him do, pleased that he had chosen me, and he started gnawing at my jeans ; I told his owner who replied 'just slap him real hard ' and I thought, what an unsensitive master, and I only slapped him very gently and sure it ended gnawing and I thought ' I know better' and sure enough the beast came back and started gnawing real hard this time :) (no blood though) and it hurt and it was embarrassing because we had a conversation going so I told the master again ( thinking he'd do something about it) and he just said " real hard" again, so I hit harder but nothing and finally I hit its skull like I was exploding a coconut because I was about to scream and I hurt my knuckle but finally it left me about alone for the rest of the conversation. I remember it well, it was tiny and innocent-looking.