British Woman Survives Monkey Attack During Phuket Holiday

webfact

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been to that beach twice. First time I watched an Israeli kid turn his back on 2 monkeys to get a photo taken, they both attacked him, scraped nasty gouges of flesh out of his back and one of them got the teeth in. They are savages. Second time there a young lady was attacked, and she ran and left her bag amonst the beasts. They fought over the bag. Myself and my brother went in back to back with canoe paddles to retrieve it. There does need to be clear warning from guides as to what the monkeys are like, they are extrememly aggressive, the growl on sighting a human and will attack in gropups as soon as you look vulnerable. I hate them. But they singled out the Israeli, so perhaps they are very socially and politically aware.

There does need to be clear warning from guides as to what the monkeys are like, they are extrememly aggressive, the growl on sighting a human and will attack in gropups as soon as you look vulnerable. I hate them. But they singled out the Israeli, so perhaps they are very socially and politically aware.

:)

Perhaps they should consider cleaning the island up, thusly:

96-655.gif

I always carry a stick when monkeys are around, and they recognize the gesture of reaching down for a (real or imaginary) rock.

That's not sufficient if you are carrying food, which is an invitation for attack. Don't eat, and even be careful of your water bottle.

I believe that monkeys can sense fear, and if you show some bravado, you can sometimes intimidate them. I make noises and facial grimaces. Looks stupid, but it helps.

My final secret: I have a wonderful Wrist Rocket with double surgical tubing and stainless steel ball bearings for ammo. I'd never bring it out in front of Thai people, and never in a temple, but when I'm out hiking or walking in nowhere land, I have no qualms about inflicting a little pain - they'll spread the word...

" I have a wonderful Wrist Rocket with double surgical tubing and stainless steel ball bearings for ammo "

Are you serious mate?

Monkeys give me the creeps. Their little creepy hands, their creepy little faces. I wouldn't even go somewhere named Monkey Beach.

What makes them creepier is they're smart. There's a memorable scene in Richard Preston's (non-fiction) book The Hot Zone where a researcher is trying to catch an escaped Ebola-infected monkey in a large room and it's jumping all over the place. He says you have to be careful because they try to get on your back and go for your eyes. :)

She should have stayed and mingled in with the crowd instead of going off, sleeping in some rocks on her own if she was so so scared. Glad the Lady is ok though.

A deep-rooted fear of Monkeys isn't generally conducive to a nice trip to 'Monkey_Beach'!!! I've encountered a few in various places in Thailand - and tried to keep a 'respectful' distance!.. pretty opportunistic, though I understand they'd usually only attack if grappled with.. lucky lady considering and I'm pleased to see her smiling again now.. could be they picked up on her fear, especially when the lady backed-off, pack-mentality kicking in and all that.. Jeez, how DO you react correctly in such a situation?? I'd probably have just died of heart attack surrounded by such a bunch of wild animals which have clearly made you their target and have 'lost it'!!!

Edited by spectrumisgreen

By the way the reason why I highlited the fact that the stick was wet is that I could noteven lit it up to keep the monkes off..! In the end and finally my inital longtail boat which I started the tour with turned up at 19.00 As I was already thinking of how to prepare myself for the night and prepare myself to face further fears and possible animal's attacks..Again..respect the nature and the nature will respect you back..

Cheers, Ramdas..

What a fascinating life you lead with such newsworthy advetures, surely there is a movie here or at the very least a series of adveture travel books.

‘I’ve paid to come on this trip, I’ve been bitten by a monkey, been brought here for a lunch I couldn’t eat and I’ve just come here to rest and now I have to pay extra for a place to rest,’” she recalled

NOW LET ME GET THIS RIGHT. She is afraid of Monkeys so books a trip to a island full of monkeys...eh why? She then moans that after being bitten by a monkey so was off her food and further more had paid for it in advance. Surely the tour company should have expected a stupid foreign tourist to go to an island of monkeys, off which she is afraid, let her stay alone, lay down and get bitten. She is quite right, the tour company should have catered for one less person and refunded her. IS SHE MAD? Then she moans about paying for sdomewhere to sit down. The moral is dont go to an island full of monkeys, that you are afraid off and THEN you wont get bitten so wont need to sit down. She could have saved her money becuasshe would not have needed to sit down. Sometimes people astound me. Time to go. Can't swim so i'm off snorkerling. Hope the tour company makes arrangements for a drowning man during the trip. Stupid woman.

By the way the reason why I highlited the fact that the stick was wet is that I could noteven lit it up to keep the monkes off..! In the end and finally my inital longtail boat which I started the tour with turned up at 19.00 As I was already thinking of how to prepare myself for the night and prepare myself to face further fears and possible animal's attacks..Again..respect the nature and the nature will respect you back..

Cheers, Ramdas..

Great post, glad you survived with just scratches, the mental image of your monkey skirmish made me laugh out loud what a great story!

Cheers, that has been my monkey's island hardcore and lonely experience whilst I noticed that many people seem always ready at critisize and judging other beings when we are the INTRUDERS on their territories..I kept the distance from them and I managed to get out of this ordeal without any serious injuries.. I'd simply keep off from potential threats like these since these are wild hungry animals hence don't instigate them neither..!

Respect the nature and the nature will respect you back..

Ramdas.

well, if you play with fire... you're gonna get burnt.. :)

Yep, I entirely agree..if you don't respect other beings on THEIR grounds you learn the hard way..I'm not sorry about this dumb lady..Live and learn..Respect nature and the nature will respect you back..Ramdas

Are you mad? Tell me one case of a human getting HIV from a monkey.

Didn't it all start from injecting monkey parts into humans?

It would seem ALL human HIV infections vectored from primate infections.

It is believed to have started from substance hunters eating infected Chimpanzee or monkey brains or spines.

And in a few isolated instance cross-species sex was suspected, but never proven.

Goddamn evolution. We were quite happy before some d*ckhead decided he didn't like to climb the vine and dance the branch. He had to show off by walking on the ground on two legs. The result is, many eons later, that we can bite you in the a*** for being so stupid as to evolve into tourists. You deserve it.

(Apologies to the woman bitten by her ancestors. I'm not being insensitive as I've experienced a similar, albeit very minor incident - stolen glasses, and my fault entirely - on Bali. Could have been worse -- I got the glasses back by putting a silver coin on my guide's head and then pretending to comb his hair for ticks - the monkey couldn't resist and came down from the tree to check it out -- LOL. Human do, monkey see.)

Wit.

Is she really blaming the tour group. If she was seriously injured she should have insisted they take her back. Take responsibility woman. You shouldnt have gone. Or you should have stayed with the group. Or you should have thrown down against the monkey and his gang.

Yep, I entirely agree..if you don't respect other beings on THEIR grounds you learn the hard way..I'm not sorry about this dumb lady..Live and learn..Respect nature and the nature will respect you back..Ramdas

No it won't. Nature will take you when it can or whether you respect it or not and there's nothing in this story other than the lady being perhaps ignorant to the dangers, and/or not being told of them, to indicate otherwise. Ie, she didn't go at them with a stick or try to muscle in on their camp. Perhaps you will also learn the hard way one day and we can all bring you down a peg.

She should have stayed and mingled in with the crowd instead of going off, sleeping in some rocks on her own if she was so so scared. Glad the Lady is ok though.

Quite agree. OhMYGod! Some countries still have indigenous and not always the fluffy litle things on Disney!

Idiots. Who's planet do you think this is anyway? (and that goes for many of you).

PS Next time try bloody Wipsnade.

PS Couldn't be bothered withe the usual utter tripe that passes for 'news' on this site, but if you're from the US or Oz, what about suing the bloody monkey:lol:

Quite agree. OhMYGod! Some countries still have indigenous fauna, and not always the fluffy little things a la Disney!

Idiots. Who's planet do you think this is anyway? (and that goes for many of you).

PS Next time try bloody Whipsnade.

PS Couldn't be bothered with the usual utter tripe that passes for 'news' on this site, but if you're from the US or Oz, what about suing the bloody monkey:lol:

Edited by evanson

Simple rules for dealing with animals

1. Animals are very territorial

2. Animals can always sense fear

3. Do not go to monkey beach if you are scared of monkeys

4. If you do decide to go, you can not stray alone and feel fear because they will attack, same goes for dogs, cats and every one animal. If you come to their territory you must assert your presence.Keep in mind that monkeys are pack animals so if 1 attacks-others will join.

Hmmm, strange, I seem to recollect hearing the same about people in a country somewhere.

Macaque have teeth. Serious teeth. Just in case someone thought it was creepy little monkey teeth too

2754839454_062cef651c.jpg

Oh well. Best a new crackdown be brought upon the unfortunate macaques' teeth. And whilst we're about it, declawing what's left of the tiger population, detusking the elephants, despining stingray, defanging every species of snake, (et al ad infinitum), and be sure they'all don't serve your coffee too hot.

Simple rules for dealing with animals

1. Animals are very territorial

2. Animals can always sense fear

3. Do not go to monkey beach if you are scared of monkeys

4. If you do decide to go, you can not stray alone and feel fear because they will attack, same goes for dogs, cats and every one animal. If you come to their territory you must assert your presence.Keep in mind that monkeys are pack animals so if 1 attacks-others will join.

Hmmm, strange, I seem to recollect hearing the same about people in a country somewhere.

:lol: