Where Do You Live?

villagefarang

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 km from Pao Khun Mengrai statue + another 13km on route 1209 :) ...15 minutes flat if i drive at 120kmh :lol:

( swoops throught the road block while all the "Ping Pong heads" were busy issuing summons to motorcyclists)

Edited by RedBullHorn

ok, i know i don't really live there so i voted 'further out' which covers both locations :lol: 2km down river from Chiang Saen, Ban Sob Kham, and Stratford in East London whistling.gif one of which is a very beautiful, peaceful (apart from dogs and chickens) place populated by hard working decent people who like a lao khao or 3 in the evenings, help each other out on a daily basis, like a gossip and the occasional 'pasa farang' lesson ( i did try to explain that there are many many farang languages but could only reach the point that pasa farang for pasa farang is pasa angkrit!)

And the other is Stratford :)

minor victory, in my eyes anyway, during the last visit I persuaded the nephew (who's only 4) that I wasn't 'loong farang' but 'loong Biff' pronounced 'Bipp'

so i now have tales of a sad faced 4 year old on the hunt for 5 baht asking everyone 'loong bipp bai nai?'

one day it will, i hope, be home :)

Edited by bifftastic

I've just clicked the "within 50Km" button but as you said 20Km to 50 Km is a big leap. Actually I'm 23 Kms out on the East side along the 1152 route. I much prefer the coutryside and it's only 25 minutes into town by any one of three or four different routes.

AjarnP B)

I've just clicked the "within 50Km" button but as you said 20Km to 50 Km is a big leap. Actually I'm 23 Kms out on the East side along the 1152 route. I much prefer the coutryside and it's only 25 minutes into town by any one of three or four different routes.

AjarnP B)

For some reason your vote didn't show up, so you might want to try again.

So you are less than half as far out as we are, on a route that we travel often. There are times when the wife wishes we were closer to town. My rationalization, is that it used to take an hour to get anywhere in Bangkok, so there isn't much difference. Of course in Bangkok you just sat in traffic and didn't really drive.

I too prefer the countryside but sometimes it would be nice to be closer to friends or shopping.

20kms is fine near a small city like Chiang Rai although I find I tend to go to town more often than I would if I was 50kms out, often making a couple of trips a week to do things that could be done in one.

50kms in my direction would put me down to Mae Suai which would provide a lot of what I need anyway, bank, ATM, bill paying service... so Chiang Rai would definitely become a rare occasion.

That slime thread is certainly hard to pull away from but I finally got over here to vote. I am 15km north of town and I drive in about two or three times a week. Lee

We appreciate your gallant effort and I'm sure the slime will still be there upon your return. It is beginning to sound as if those of you who live much closer than I, don't really go into town anymore than I do. That is a revelation to me.

I live just west of CR, about 15,000-16,000 km (translated from my airmiles) and 30 more degrees north lattitude. So put me down for "farther out".*

[*Apologies for trotting out such an old joke . . . but, as a regular reader of the CR subforum, I didn't want to feel left out and also disappoint VF. I promise to visit in autumn so you can slap me silly then ;)]

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

I live just west of CR, about 15,000-16,000 km (translated from my airmiles) and 30 more degrees north lattitude. So put me down for "farther out".*

[*Apologies for trotting out such an old joke . . . but, as a regular reader of the CR subforum, I didn't want to feel left out and also disappoint VF. I promise to visit in autumn so you can slap me silly then ;)]

I'm truly touched by how concerned people are for my feelings. :)

It surely seems that we have a lot of 'far out' people in the Rai. Apparently, the Rai is more a state of being than a location. ;)

Edited by villagefarang

I'm truly touched by how concerned people are for my feelings. :)

It surely seems that we have a lot of 'far out' people in the Rai. Apparently, the Rai is more a state of being than a location. ;)

I'm in the 'didn't want to feel left out' section rather than non-disappointment of le farangue du village :)

Although I've been lurking in the background on ThaiVisa for a while now, I thought I'd pop my posting 'cherry' with an easy reply here...

I'm about 90kms south of Chiang Rai in Phayao - that qualifies me as 'Further Out'.

Hopefully this won't be the last we hear from you. Technically it looks like you are a little closer to us than Chiang Mai, so welcome to the Rai. Thanks for voting, too. :)

Although I've been lurking in the background on ThaiVisa for a while now, I thought I'd pop my posting 'cherry' with an easy reply here...

I'm about 90kms south of Chiang Rai in Phayao - that qualifies me as 'Further Out'.

Hopefully this won't be the last we hear from you. Technically it looks like you are a little closer to us than Chiang Mai, so welcome to the Rai. Thanks for voting, too. :)

VF, CR-Forum is covering the biggest part of Thailand of all Forums in TV.

"Chiang Rai Forum

The very northern part of Thailand, Chiang Rai and surrounding areas.

Pratumthani, Autthaya and other provinces in Central Thailand "

:D:):D

VF, CR-Forum is covering the biggest part of Thailand of all Forums in TV.

"Chiang Rai Forum

The very northern part of Thailand, Chiang Rai and surrounding areas.

Pratumthani, Autthaya and other provinces in Central Thailand "

:D:):D

Whatever the forum claims as the area it covers, there is still some common sense relevance to proximity. ;) Anyway, I was just teasing our distant neighbor and encouraging him to contribute to our group. :)

I think it is like VF said. The "Rai" is a state of mind. Even some of the regulars don't live IN the Rai. They just associate themselves with it because it is the largest town in their area.

Lots of the far away folks would rather be here even if they can't be. If they can't be here physically, they can be here as a part of the forum. Welcome to them all, I say. Biff doesn't live here yet but he sure contributes a lot to the forum. He's one of us.

I think it is like VF said. The "Rai" is a state of mind. Even some of the regulars don't live IN the Rai. They just associate themselves with it because it is the largest town in their area.

Lots of the far away folks would rather be here even if they can't be. If they can't be here physically, they can be here as a part of the forum. Welcome to them all, I say. Biff doesn't live here yet but he sure contributes a lot to the forum. He's one of us.

Thank you, just got in from work, felt a little down today being so far away from where I want to be. Your comment has cheered me up considerably jap.gif

• Like 1

Thank you, just got in from work, felt a little down today being so far away from where I want to be. Your comment has cheered me up considerably jap.gif

I only said you're one of us. I didn't say you were as handsome as I am. So calm down.

I only said you're one of us. I didn't say you were as handsome as I am. So calm down.

:lol:

Welcome, mistephenso. I hope to see you posting some more on here.

I don't know if you're looking for other Farang in your area but there are several older threads on this forum relating to your area and one where folks are looking to connect with others in your area. Here are the threads:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/280668-anybody-live-in-mae-chai-near-phyao/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/271803-phayao/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/319110-back-hoeexcavator-and-operator-near-phayao/

There are probably more but I just ran across these as I was looking for something else.

kandahar

Thanks kandahar and VF - yes, I'll be floating around on here in the future...

Will take a look at those links in a bit. Farangs are definitely a minority in Phayao, although it is good for getting stuck into the Thai 'way of life' I guess!? :rolleyes: