Job Interview Questions For Foreign Teachers

Heng

The candidate is looking for a job teaching high school science/physics. Degree in education and associated field required for the job, etc.

The question is, what are some questions that I can throw at her in preparation for what some Thai interviewers might ask (and some foreign school admin/HR folks might ask) that might not be expected in a job interview back home?

1. What brings you to Thailand?

2. Are you married?

*those type of questions* What are they asking nowadays?

Myself I'm kind of rusty as I haven't interviewed for anything since I was 21-22, and on the hiring end, I've only had to *interview* clerks, drivers, and semi-skilled labor and no foreigners.

Thanks in advance.

:)

The number one question I dislike is 'What are your weaknesses?' Still cannot answer it. If it were a real weakness for my job, would I mention it on that form on the interview date? :ermm:

So, what would be your answer(s) to that question?

• Like 1

What would you do in this......or that situation? Disruptive student etc.

Yeah, my second-most hated one. Or as I found on an application form.(I kid you not.): 'One of your students is vomiting, what do you do? :blink:

Edited by 007

Do you smoke? (can be a deal breaker if yes)

Do you drink? (they won't believe no, but Friday and Saturday only is an acceptable response)

What visa do you have? (having a non-imm B already can be a deal maker)

• 3 weeks later...

First question I had in the first interview I had in Bangkok was :-

"Why do you shave your head?"

Personal preference I replied to which the farang interviewer responded with" Well don't it frightens the Thais"

That was the start of the interview.

It ended with him offering me a cigarette saying 'My office is the only place you can smoke in this language center."

"It's okay I don't smoke" I replied to which he responded with "Well I do and it's my f*cking office" and I'm sure he deliberately blew the smoke in my face.

That was the start, I lasted two days in the job before deciding I wasn't working with the lunatic and simply packed my bags and left.

I posted details of the encounter on another forum at the time (Jan 2001) and there were a few replies from others who had come across this guy.

The one that was most apt was "The director of ******** has got a screw loose and it's rattling about cuz there's little else up there."

I also hear that someone tried to kill him by dropping a concrete block on his car one time.

Of all the Language Centers in Thailand at the time I fad to pick the one run by the biggist pr1ck in the country.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was teaching I was never asked anything difficult. Just the expected,: experience, qualifications, native speaker 'where do you come from?', type questions and a demo lesson. End of.

The worst question are the new fangled ones that were creeping into universities and technial jobs back home when I left. Crap like: 'If you were a pencil what colour would you be and why?' and, 'if you were a tree/animal/car what kind would you be?', and, 'What do you imagine blue tastes like?', and 'If the sky wasn't blue, what colour would it be?', and one I one heard, 'Which three dimensional shape best defines your personality and why?'

Me (truthfully, without cheating and googling best answers): Deep Purple (which is odd as my favourite colour is dark green) - because it has a contradictary relationship to our psych - both the royal colour/the colour of leaders and office/holy colour/satanic colour/vampie suit colour/a fine rock band and the colour of batman's underpants, oak/wolf/1953 Buick Skylark Convertable (another weired choice as I've only ever seen one on TV - as a Brit - but me likes), Like green, but with a dash more red than the teal (back at ya baby), it isn't blue? but I would say grey clouds over rose coloured sky with that all important bright silver lining, irregular frustum of isohedric cone - because its a mouthful (snigger snigger) it traps the light coming in, is difficult to visualise and much more interesting than a cube or sphere. So, should I be locked up???

At uni interview (very famous UK university), my son walked in and one of the interviewers threw a book at his feet as he walked in. My son stooped, picked it up, and sat with it, giving it back at the end. That was, apparantly an OK response, the best was to throw it back! and the worse was to step over it. He didn't go to that university - he went to another good one instead (but because of the course offered, not the book throwing) - strange though.

My worst ever interview question: Tell me about yourself.

Here's a horrible teacher question: Describe what diagnostic and proscriptive learning means and how they differ.

Edited by wolf5370

Why you fat?

Why you piew dumm mak mak? I said in return, got up and walked away. Circa 2000.

Bit rude at an interview - don't blame you - my first mental answer when I read your post was 'to make my penis look smaller, so I fit in with you lot!' - but I'd be too much of a coward to say it

The number one question I dislike is 'What are your weaknesses?' Still cannot answer it. If it were a real weakness for my job, would I mention it on that form on the interview date? :ermm:

Easy one to answer.........

"Sometimes I get forgetful about people's names, especially when I meet them only briefly". Then follow it up with "But I have fostered the habit of writing the person's name down as soon as I can".

Or........

"I do get rather impatient at times; I cannot abide unnecessary delay and waste. I don't mind mistakes, as long as they are not repeated".

wink.gif

I apparently don't ask very probing questions. They are usually very open ended and relatively concrete. I usually show the person around the school, maybe introduce them to a few teachers--sometimes I will have someone from their own country show them around as they can feel much freer to ask them questions.

Then, when I interview them, they have reasonable good responses and a fair number of questions. Most people then feel open enough to let me know what they think they can handle well, and what might be a little (too) challenging.

The one question that I do ask and which is always amusing is "Why did you come to Thailand?" That usually lets me know how quickly they can BS their way out of a tight situation and if they can lie well!

• 2 months later...
The candidate is looking for a job teaching high school science/physics. Degree in education and associated field required for the job, etc.

Question 1:

So you have a B.Ed and B.Sc.... what the hel_l are you applying here for?

Question 2:

You do know that the international schools pay 3 times the salary?

It's a better question than the dreaded, where do you see yourself in x years, what's your life plan, why are you here....

Actually, it's one of my favourite questions to answer, because you can turn it on it's head and show how you have developed, overcome a situation etc. The key is to turn it to a positive. Here are some ways how

1. Cite a weakness that, under the right circumstances, can prove to be an asset.

2. Cite a corrected weakness.

3. Cite a lesson learned.

4. Cite a learning objective.

5. Cite an unrelated skill deficit.

6. Deflect (lol).

7. Address the unspoken question.

The last one is quite sneaky, because often the question is asked not for the content of your answer, but the style in which you answer. If you want to have a more honest and direct conversation, you can begin by acknowledging the concern and asking if the interviewer is wondering if you're hiding a fatal flaw that should be uncovered. You also can review your qualifications and ask if there's a specific concern that you could address in greater depth. This allows you to tailor your responses to any potential reservations or resistance. It also levels the playing field by changing the dynamics of the interview.

It's also important, regardless of the question (within reason), to tie your answer to the job spec and candidate profile.

• 1 month later...

The one question that I do ask and which is always amusing is "Why did you come to Thailand?" That usually lets me know how quickly they can BS their way out of a tight situation and if they can lie well!

I'm interested to know Scott; if a candidate answered truthfully and said, "I came for the Thailand sex scene and I want to stay for it." Assuming all other interview answers and qualifications were to your liking, would you hire them?

Wow. I really don't know. Part of it would depend on how diplomatically they answered it.

A lot of people, especially newcomers to Thailand, tend to look at the country through rose-colored glasses and basically, it's fairly obvious the woman of their dreams wasn't someone they met at a Church social.

Teachers are also students, at least students of life, and like others, many have a few lessons to learn and Thailand can be quite a good teacher.

'I find it difficult to turn down friends' requests for..... (advice regarding Thai language, culture, travel, etc) although my own time is limited'.

You're such a nice guy you see, as so in demand!

I know how you feel, I hate the questions about weakness myself. I do ask it in interviews though. It's good to see how a person assesses themselves and whether or not they can accept criticism.

The thing to remember with that question is that what you perceive as being a weakness may not be a weakness in the eyes of an employer. It can also help an employer to help an employee. Among teachers for example, I get response like "I am a little too strict, sometimes." "I don't like to raise my voice and if it's noisy students can't hear me well." Etc.

In the end, however, the answer they give isn't particularly indicative of much. I haven't heard anything like: "I like to get really drunk after pay day and don't go to work for a few days." "I am quite lazy and demanding." Or "I really like to bitch and complain about everything." And these are the weaknesses which cause the most problems!

I have answered that question with....My weakness is getting frustrated when other people don't share the same passion I have for my work and the joy it can bring when the enthusiam is shared.

I'm not a teacher, but I do want to get to Thailand to teach, oh and also be with my girl full time. :D

Edited by Wallaby

Why you fat?

Why you piew dumm mak mak? I said in return, got up and walked away. Circa 2000.

I like that one. I also get annoyed with questions that do not relate to the job itself. What a person does outside work is none of the employers business, providing it doesn't impinge upon their work.

Someone once asked me if I was married, it was only a part-time position, so there were no visa issues at stake. Was tempted to ask in reply how big is your penis (equally irrelevant) but feared I might have been pushing it a bit there.

Edited by Deserted