Medical Certs For Sick Days?

I have worked for a large school here for over 5 years and their policy is 10 paid sick days per year with medical certs for even 1 day. Ok, I accept that, but they refuse to recognise a doctors certificate from a clinic or surgery and will only pay if you go to a hospital. Even though I have only had about 10 sick days in five years and only 1 in past two years they grant no leeway. I am curious to know if they can legally do that. I have had my own doctor here for over 5 years and he knows my history. I feel it is against my civil or human rights to deny access to my own doctor unless I pay him as well. In addition it is far cheaper seeing my local doctor than going to a hospital. I also believe the healing process is quickened due to your confidence in your own doctor. Any thoughts on the matter...particularly the legal side?

I am unsure why you get 10 sick days a year when I read the THAI LABOUR LAWS that workers are entitled to a minimum of 30 days but I will try to find the link or if anyone knows it,to the english site of Thai Labour Law.

It seems ridicilous to me that they are not recognising a Doctors Certificate but only a Hospital given Certificate.

Rather than take them to the Labour Court etc if you find out your right,it would far better to write the administrator of the school a letter outlining your concerns that your own Doctors Medical Certificate is not being accepted.

You would possibly have to do this as a formality before you could take any complaint to the Thai Labour /industrial relations Dept anyway.

I think it would be far better to discuss this with your management first outlining that this is your regular Doctor ,he has your Medical History ,he speaks your language etc and could they make an exception to this it seems "in house" rule.

After trying that with no luck,your only course of action would be to go to the hospitalrather than create "waves".,however Im now wondering.................is this a hospital suggested by them?

Of course any employer has the right to ask for your medical history and send you for a 'medical check" when they require,however if it is a hospital Doctor suggested by them ,then it maybe they are checking to see if your sickness is a genuine sick day.

Not everyone has a "sickie" because they are sick,most ,and i would say a high percentage,have it for other reasons,"mental stress day",shopping,going somewhere else,etc.

It seems this school is using tactics to make it difficult to take a sick day,such as hospital fees expensive to see a doctor,and most probaly a long wait etc.

If you are going to take a sick day,far better you take several days off in a row,that way it would be some benefit in paying the medical fees to see the hospital Doctor for the certificate.

Ask him/her for 3-5 days off,especially if you havent taken a sick day all year.

Dont feel guilty by doing this,especially if you havent had a sick day come the end of the year because really they dont care.

The school/employer you work for sounds like they have no respect for you,despite you only taking 2 sick days in 2 years.

Edited by actiondell4

"...THAI LABOUR LAWS that workers are entitled to a minimum of 30 days..."

I believe you'll find that it's a maximum of 30 days, not a minimum. See section 57.

"Of course any employer has the right to ask for your medical history and send you for a 'medical check" when they require..."

I doubt that, but I'm willing to look at your source for that information.

I would guess that at some time in the past this employer has had a problem with employees and sick leave. They have apparently decided that they need to be strict with their policy, and seem to be applying it the same to everyone.

• Like 1