Thailand Tourism Industry To Recover In 6 Months

webfact

As long as morons hold key positions- bought or given to them by relatives and not based on qualification- remarks like this will do for the uneducated masses. Most amusing if not shocking: the Bank of Thailand (BOT) Deputy Governor seems to believe that his fellow citizen are capable to clean up this mess in 6 month…Ever considered to get the school fees back?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He believes the country's economy will grow 45 per cent this year.

Wow- I want some of what that guy is smoking. Why would tourists choose over-priced, scam-ridden, politically unstable Thailand over other regional destinations like the Philippines, Indo, Vietnam, Cambo, etc?

Good luck to anyone in the Thai tourist business- you need it! :)

The answer is simple. When people go to a travel agent to book a holiday ot choose a holiday online they see how wonderful it is. I haven't seen any brochures that say "please come on holiday to over-priced, scam-ridden, politically unstable Thailand". You may be aware of that side of things because you live here and have experienced it. But that's not what most people think of Thailand. I know very many people from UK who have visited Thailand for a week or so and most are enthused about how wonderful it is and can't wait to go back.

I know I keep repeating this, but there is a world of difference between my experience and other people I know and what I read on here. I'm beginning to see that the difference is that the opionions on here are maybe mostly expats. What they see and experience isn't necessarily what tourists experience. Of cousre they wouldn't come if they thought it was like how you described it, but the overwhelming majority don't think that at all. Now I am settled an have an apartment, my friends beack home who have never visited are lining up to come and stay because they have heard how great it is. These are the people that the tourism industry is aimed at. It isn't aimed at expats.

One final point. It's amazing how many on here are so negative about Thailand, think there are better places, etc, but they are still here. Maybe they stay because they love complaining and being here gives them that opportunity. If it's so bad, why don't you all move to the more wonderful places you all talk about? No offence meant, I'm just curious. If I had had the feelings that some on here have I'd be on the next flight out.

did anyone read this headline without laughing?

No I laughed as well. I always like the self delusion of people who make such prepostrious statements..

What the article seems to assume is that the political landscape will remain safe and peaceful and that there won't be a return of redshirts, yellowshits multi coloured shirts or whoever else emerges in the future. As no issues were resolved in the redshirt saga and there are no reconciliation plans that anyone takes seriously it is bound to raise its ugly head again. Even if that doesnt happen immediately what about the elections which have to happen within 18 months? does anyone believe that whatever the outcome of the election it will lead to a peaceful and happy country? added to that the fact that Thailand is not a cheap country anymore and that the economies around the world are not doing well the tourists are not going to come back in any numbers in the foreseeable future.I am not usually a pessimist but the odds are not stacked favourably for Thailand at the moment. I am sorry to say that tourism will not recover in 6 months.

Sorry Thailand too many own goals recently.:)

Wow - make a prediction that in the historic "high season" of December (6 months from now) that things will be better than now (June - low season).

Wonderful prediction.

Lets have lots of statistics to show that in December that visitor numbers are higher than June, that will really prove lots of things.

Thailand is a mess, its has no freedom of the media, it has a repressive decree in power limiting the rights of all people, its army and government are alleged to have been killing many civilians, it slams the foreign media as liars as they report the truth and not the propaganda and of course everyone is supposed to forget this ?

Thailand is not cheap now.

Its a place full of scams and rip off's,

Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia are all far better value in terms of service and value for money.

Burma should start advertising itself as a great place for tourists perhaps with the headline "We have the same freedoms as Thailand, so come here and forget the overpriced bahtland (and our people are more friendly and will not rip you off) "

Thailand may not be cheap to you, but it is incredibly cheap compared to the UK. I live comfortably here on a fraction of what I spent in the UK. Maybe there are cheaper places, but certainly for British people it offers a great way of life for next to nothing. Most things I buy here are about 25% of less of the cost back home. If that's not cheap then what is? I have met some great people here and no-one has tried to scam me, cheat me or rip me off. On the contrary, they have been extremely helpful and have help me settle in quickly. I was expecting the worst after reading this forum before coming, but now I have been here a few weeks it seems like a different place to the one many on this forum talk about.

As you have only been here for a couple of weeks I suggest you live here for a while then come back to this website and comment. I am talking from an expat's point of view who is living here and travelled around thailand extensively. You will soon see that the discussions and contributions on here are mostly well founded by people who have a history with thailand, good and bad.

I wish you good luck in thailand, with your journey and hope you don't have to experience some the unwelcoming features this place has to offer of which, believe me they go well into the treble figures... :)

I will be happy to come back and share my experience once I have been here longer. But this article is about tourism NOT about how expats perceive the country. I've only been here 3 weeks, but have had a great time. So why shouldn't tourists who come for a week also have a great time? That is tourism. What you are talking about is the esperience of expats. Being an expat (in any country) is completely different from being a tourist. There isn't really much of a connection. The advertising isn't aimed at you, it's aimed at tourists.

Well - it's like this. I'm already planning my next trip back - second time this year. been coming a couple of times a year for a few years now. Bringing the family and a few mates. A few riots, bombs and the odd bullet are no real problem. Last time it cleared the French tour group out of the guesthouse and we got a better rate. Maybe living in a country where just about everything is lethal as something to do with it but I do notice that the (Poms and) Ozies are pretty hard to frighten off.:)

Tourism to recover in 6 months ............ Hmmmmmmmm

The western world is broke, unemployment high, wages down.

Air fares to Thailand are two to three time what they were (2009 I paid 245UKP for a return LHR to BKK, 2010 cheapest was 650UKP)

The Baht is 20 percent more expensive (2009 I got 54Bht to 1 UKP, 2010 47bht to 1 UKP)

Western news portrayed Thailand as a war zone

None of Thailand's problems have been resolved

I don't think tourism will ever recover in Thailand, in fact I think it will get worse as new bookings are unlikely to be made.

UK travel agents don't advertise holidays to Thailand any more, and the Baht is not listed in UK currency exchange shops.

If I didn't have a Thai wife, I would have left last month.

Thailand will never be the so called "Land Of Smiles" again. I'm in Europe after eight years Thailand waiting for an operation. I'll be back because of my family, the weather and some good friends.

The truth is that the European economy really sucks and would I be a tourist, I'd travel to other countries like Laos, Vietnam or South America.

Thailand is pretty good not to tell the truth about the political situation, what about the killings in the South? What we see in the news is what they want us to think.

Of course places like Pattaya, Phuket, Koh Samui will have tourists again, but it will never be as it was before. Some people are addicted to see these bars, to hear sentences like: "Hello handsome man, sit down, where ya come from?" Even when you're 78 and in a wheel chair.

To be perfectly honest, you can come to TH, spent all your money, but we'll never have more rights. After all we still have to show a huge amount of money-on a Thai bank- to renew our visas.

All this visa crap, laws are changing more often than some people are able to change their underwear, together with the inflation makes Thailand to a country where people should think twice to settle down.

Why can't you own land after being there for more than ten years? After teaching their kids for many years, we've got no rights to have the same social security status like retirement money, a credit with almost no interest to build a house, or to buy a car.

Not mentioning those guys who lost all by marrying such a beautiful Thai woman………….

Where I'm living, in the lower North East, you can't go out in the middle of the night, there's not even one cop to protect you. No cop would take the phone in an emergency situation. We foreigners are so different. I could go on and on and on and on……….:)

What you say has nothing to do with tourism. You're just complaining about things you don't like from an expat point of view. Tourists do not want to own land, renew their visa, etc. This has nothing to do with the article. Tourists aren't going to stop coming on holiday because they just found out they can't own land. You can't own land in many countries. It may seem unfair to you, but that's life. You could also say why can't Thais just turn up in the UK and have a good time. That's unfair to them. If you're from a Western country, such as the UK, you have much more opportunities given to you in Thailand than Thai people are given in the West. So be thankful for what you can get and stop complaining about what you can't get. Your life is probably much easier than the life of most Thais. Don't forget that.

One final point. It's amazing how many on here are so negative about Thailand, think there are better places, etc, but they are still here. Maybe they stay because they love complaining and being here gives them that opportunity. If it's so bad, why don't you all move to the more wonderful places you all talk about? No offence meant, I'm just curious. If I had had the feelings that some on here have I'd be on the next flight out.

We stay because of our Thai wives, are you suggesting we all just abandon the wife and kids?

If you don't have a job or property in the western world you can't get your Thai family back there ..... or anywhere else.

Not all tourists get unlucky enough to experience the hard scams but majority find out later either upon returning home or repeat trips how badly they were scammed the first time around.

Just one real life example. I had a mate visit from Australia for the first time, despite all my warnings and talks he still went out shopping .

First day he bought TAG glasses for 12 000 baht(eye glasses) he was extremely happy because back in Oz he claimed same costs 30 000. I knew immidiately he was sold a copy because brand names are not cheap in Thailand, advised him it was a copy and he gort ripped off-yet he refused to listen.

Next day, again despite my talks he went to tailor and bought some tailor made shirts, 5 shirts at 650 each. I again tod him he gor ripped off and same shirts would not be more then 250 if i went with him, again he refused to listen

and few more purchases like that for 3 weeks.

Once he returned home, he learned that TAG Glasses were indeed a copy, his mates bought same shirts for 300 baht each and pretty much every purchase he made, he was ripped off.

Once he learned all the facts he now refuses to come to Thailand. Yes he was stupid for not listening, but how many bitter people are out there that have been ripped off in same kind of way.

So it really does not need to be a big scam to turn away people

We stay because of our Thai wives, are you suggesting we all just abandon the wife and kids?

If you don't have a job or property in the western world you can't get your Thai family back there ..... or anywhere else.

Not only Thai wives :)

I am stuck here because of my animals, almost impossible to take them in Australia without having to live in Singapore for minimum 6 months, and then one of my cats is prohibited from entering Australia full stop, unless i can show her papers with her parents of 5 generations.

To some it may sound crazy, but for any responsible animal owner it would make perfect sense

Why are so many post so negative about the possibility Thailand Tourism Industry will recover.

Maybe because most people say it like it is, period.

Most of the arguments come from people who live here a long time and only want to see the things in their own small world.:)

The highest number of tourist are the Thais themselves. So don't worry they have the money and the desire to travel.

Next time you go to the 7eleven, you can ask the girl behind the counter when whas the last time she went on a holiday.......

85% of the Thai people don't have the money nor the time to go on a holiday!

The political situation, and for the mentioned scams, etc, this will not effect the Tourism Industry so much, because they are not so important issues for most normal holiday makers.

Ever been scammed? Ever walked arround in a city with a curfew?

Edited by jupiler

Come to Thailand to pay Western level hotel rates to breathe burning garbage and enjoy litter strewn beaches!

==============

Plan your next vacation during the next elections, if you are a full off idiot.

The next round of rioting should be somewhere on the 'factors' list!

Why are so many post so negative about the possibility Thailand Tourism Industry will recover.

Maybe because most people say it like it is, period.

I don't think so, because it is not what the average tourist is looking for, is the point of few from somebody who lives here and has probably nothing to do with tourism.

Most of the arguments come from people who live here a long time and only want to see the things in their own small world.:)

The highest number of tourist are the Thais themselves. So don't worry they have the money and the desire to travel.

Next time you go to the 7eleven, you can ask the girl behind the counter when whas the last time she went on a holiday.......

85% of the Thai people don't have the money nor the time to go on a holiday!

Probably about correct (85% will only travel once a year to visit the family, it is still part of tourism, isn't it)

The other 15 % will do some more travelling and will go to the 'Thai beaches', they will travel during Thai holidays (national parks, local sightseeings, shopping, walking streets all around thailand) it is all part of Tourism.

If the number is 15 % (this means about 10.000.000 tourists which will eat, drink, stay overnight somewhere for a few days or weeks every year)

Be sure with the rate of development over the last two decades this number is increasing every year.

The political situation, and for the mentioned scams, etc, this will not effect the Tourism Industry so much, because they are not so important issues for most normal holiday makers.

Ever been scammed? Ever walked arround in a city with a curfew?

Sure, I had my portion of misfortunes, but keep in mind that it is your money in your pocket, and you are the boss of that money.

If you not sure of the planned purchases, don't buy, go to the next shop.

Yes, I live here many years, and my family and I where directly punished by the Reds because of their behavior, which resulted in less income and we have a few days we went home early.

If there is no more trouble (and finding out who was paying the Red shirts will be a big factor in "No more trouble") then I am inclined to agree. People need cheap food, cheap hotels and cheap companionship. Thailand will be going strong once again.

i agree. I have seen the same dire predictions every time there is some kind of crisis here, but Thailand is interesting and fun, the girls are friendly and willing and tourists always come back. My guess is that this will be the worst high season in many years, but if there is no more trouble, it will not be all that bad. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Come to Thailand to pay Western level hotel rates to breathe burning garbage and enjoy litter strewn beaches!

==============

Nearly all the posts on here have been scammed....By this I mean that we should have all totally ignored Bandit's comments.

It is total propaganda.

Not one Thai official (starting with police on the streets) can be trusted to tell the truth.

Eggomanic is correct - I went to a small resort in Jomtien last week and enquired about a room. 3 mtrs by 3 mtrs with a shower room off it. Outside is a large bath advertised as a private pool.

The woman wanted ....wait for it..........45,650 Baht for one month......PENG MAK ...I replied......"What you think good price?" she replied.....I then wasted 15 minutes of my life explaining all the bad points about Thailand that are all listed on these postings and she was considering bringing her price down to 30,000 ...maybe !!! Truthfully it was not worth 8,000 for the month. And all the rooms were empty. Like her brain cavity and all the new condos etc etc etc.......as as for filthy polluted beaches....do not get me started on that one...that is another thread for serious discussion.......BUT YOU GOT TO LOVE THE PLACE DON'T YAH ???? Pom Rak Muang Thai.....CRAP.

The tourism industry has no chance of recovery unless they devalue the Baht.

The simple example is the beer index:-

3 years ago - a beer would average about 40-45 baht with an exchange rate of 70 baht to the £ = 60-65p

today - the same beer averages about 65 baht with the exchange rate at 45 baht to the £ = £1.45

Since the financial crisis started, people have far less holiday money to burn, and the costs of holidaying over here have gone ballistic. Thailand is no longer seen as a cheap destination for your average Joe looking for a good time.

:)

==============

Nearly all the posts on here have been scammed....By this I mean that we should have all totally ignored Bandit's comments.

It is total propaganda.

Not one Thai official (starting with police on the streets) can be trusted to tell the truth.

Eggomanic is correct - I went to a small resort in Jomtien last week and enquired about a room. 3 mtrs by 3 mtrs with a shower room off it. Outside is a large bath advertised as a private pool.

The woman wanted ....wait for it..........45,650 Baht for one month......PENG MAK ...I replied......"What you think good price?" she replied.....I then wasted 15 minutes of my life explaining all the bad points about Thailand that are all listed on these postings and she was considering bringing her price down to 30,000 ...maybe !!! Truthfully it was not worth 8,000 for the month. And all the rooms were empty. Like her brain cavity and all the new condos etc etc etc.......as as for filthy polluted beaches....do not get me started on that one...that is another thread for serious discussion.......BUT YOU GOT TO LOVE THE PLACE DON'T YAH ???? Pom Rak Muang Thai.....CRAP.

Do not know why you shocked. In Pattaya there is a beach front condo where 1 bedrooms are selling from 12 000 000 baht

So you pay Western price for a unit with a view of dirty beach with turds floating everywhere, have a nice smell of crap from the drains and a lovely view of "over used" working girls and lady boys on the beach 24/7 and again all that for a bargain price of 12 000 000 baht to buy or 45 000-55 000 per month to rent

Real Investment opportunity!

Also i do not know about tourism but investors, big boys are pulling out.

One of my friends is a GM of the worlds second largest sourcing/supply company. They source, manufacture and supply big boys like Wallmart, Kmart etc, just the other week they closed down their Thailand office after 12 years as it is simply not profitable anymore and to manufacture here is way to expensive, so they expanded their Malaysian, Vietnamese offices and pulled out of Thailand. How many other big players like that are pulling out?

Edited by kuffki

Wow - make a prediction that in the historic "high season" of December (6 months from now) that things will be better than now (June - low season).

Wonderful prediction.

Lets have lots of statistics to show that in December that visitor numbers are higher than June, that will really prove lots of things.

Thailand is a mess, its has no freedom of the media, it has a repressive decree in power limiting the rights of all people, its army and government are alleged to have been killing many civilians, it slams the foreign media as liars as they report the truth and not the propaganda and of course everyone is supposed to forget this ?

Thailand is not cheap now.

Its a place full of scams and rip off's,

Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia are all far better value in terms of service and value for money.

Burma should start advertising itself as a great place for tourists perhaps with the headline "We have the same freedoms as Thailand, so come here and forget the overpriced bahtland (and our people are more friendly and will not rip you off) "

Thailand may not be cheap to you, but it is incredibly cheap compared to the UK. I live comfortably here on a fraction of what I spent in the UK. Maybe there are cheaper places, but certainly for British people it offers a great way of life for next to nothing. Most things I buy here are about 25% of less of the cost back home. If that's not cheap then what is? I have met some great people here and no-one has tried to scam me, cheat me or rip me off. On the contrary, they have been extremely helpful and have help me settle in quickly. I was expecting the worst after reading this forum before coming, but now I have been here a few weeks it seems like a different place to the one many on this forum talk about.

As you have only been here for a couple of weeks I suggest you live here for a while then come back to this website and comment. I am talking from an expat's point of view who is living here and travelled around thailand extensively. You will soon see that the discussions and contributions on here are mostly well founded by people who have a history with thailand, good and bad.

I wish you good luck in thailand, with your journey and hope you don't have to experience some the unwelcoming features this place has to offer of which, believe me they go well into the treble figures... :)

I will be happy to come back and share my experience once I have been here longer. But this article is about tourism NOT about how expats perceive the country. I've only been here 3 weeks, but have had a great time. So why shouldn't tourists who come for a week also have a great time? That is tourism. What you are talking about is the esperience of expats. Being an expat (in any country) is completely different from being a tourist. There isn't really much of a connection. The advertising isn't aimed at you, it's aimed at tourists.

How I perceive this country is important to me but less important to you. You really don't have a clue about Thailand, thai people to say the things you've just said. I do have a clue because I have been here as a tourist 6 times and now been living here for just over 1 year (Bkk, Chidlom). In the year that I have stayed here I have been down to Phuket, Hau Hin, Pattaya and up to Nonkhai. This thread is about tourism, because we're in a disscusion forum there are discussions about why, when etc.. Expressing one's opion is only that, I speak from experience as a tourist as an expat so please don't try to belittle what I'm saying. All you seem to see is thailand through rose tinted spec's... Good for you my friend, when you wake up and smell the coffee you'll remember what I said and know I am right.

When you come over here on holiday you don't even scratch the surface my friend, but come here enough times you start to see the darker side.. I'm seriously considering leaving this country, I'll be happy to let the likes of you take my place, rose tinted spec's and probably wearing a t shirt with I love the King on it.

Good luck, you'll need it!!!! :D

6 months from now? November... peak season anyway, so yeah, the tourism sector probably will look a lot healthier in November when compared to June... duh!

Took the words right out of my mouth.

It will be crowded in November and PACKED around New Years.

How many billions of bhat did they spend to research this?

All you seem to see is thailand through rose tinted spec's.

This is because the vast majority of gents (not all) spend their time liquored up. If I was drunk day in and day out my glasses would be pretty rosy too. :-)

There are plenty of long term expats who are very happy in Thailand as well as the ones who are not. Your opinion is very valid. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. 

I tend to agree, 6 month, maybe one year and the tourism will start to recover.

With the actual media system people tend to forget much more quickly (see the after bombs Bali example, twice in few years and now again in full power) so IMHO, if no more tsunamies, SARS, H1N1, yellow shirt, red shit shirt, tourists will start to flow like before.

Maybe less euro-americans, but more arabs, indian and asians.

First you agree that it will recover then you say it will start in 6 months maybe a year. I live in the night market in Chiang Mai and have for four years. How in the name of hel_l does any one think it will recover. It still has not recovered from the yellow shirts picnic. Ask any of the sellers in the hot tourist areas

How can any one compare holding a quarter of million tourists hostage to a bombing. I supose they think they can grow apples and oranges on the same tree. Not to be profiling any one but the average tourist knows that when traveling there is always the chance that a certain religion will blow something up without care or concern for who gets hurt. But he never would have guessed that cetain greedy indivdules in Thailand could shut the country down and hold him prisoner.

Sorey about the spelling my spell check is not working and I was to busy watching what was really hapening to learn to spell

There are plenty of long term expats who are very happy in Thailand as well as the ones who are not. Your opinion is very valid. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise.

Well said ulysses.

You might add that for all there whining about it they still choose to live here. One other point that is often overlooked a lot of these whiners were probably social out of tune where they come from and noy really welcome there but Thailand welcomes them and all they do is stab them in the back for it with there constant whining and blinkers that only allow them to see what they qwant to see,

Extra information for all the complainers :

BANGKOK, 19 June 2010 (NNT) - International tourists are speculated to resume their trips to Thailand in 2010's 4th quarter, according to Tourism Authority of Thialand (TAT) Governor Surapol Sawetseranee.

Mr Surapol said Asian tourists should start their visit toThailand within the fourth quarter of this year as the country's facts has been clarified to over 500 international tourists, press and travel agents that only certain areas have been affected by the prolonged anti-government rally.

Tourists from Hong Kong, Japan, India and China are believed to visit Thailand before others, while travel warnings have been canceled in many countries, except the UAE and Saudi Arabia.

Mr Surapol, however, disclosed that European tourists might not revisit the country straightaway following the economic crisis in the region that had caused posponement of their travel plans.

Recently, there have been 22,000 passenger arrivals at Suvarnabhumi Airport per day after the number had decreased to 12,000 as a result of the anti-government protests during the past months. The number has been boosted to nearly close to normal as 25,000 arrivals have been recorded in the low tourist season.

Personally I don't think it will ever recover fully. It's not just the danger factor associated with the unrest. It goes much deeper. Many foreigners have been forced to do a complete 360 on their views of Thailand and its people. Although most Thais are great people 5,000 paid thugs will change forever the way the world views the land of smiles.

No question over time things will stabilize and memories will fade but by this time Thailand's neighbors will have capitalized on Thailand's loss.

Also because of the strong THB, many westerners goes to other countrys instead of Thailand.

Is this the man who proposed and implemented the 150 baht atm fee on foreign cards? Suggest that domestic airlines increase fares? Another Thai with the monopoly theory so prevalent here, but this time he forgot there is no Thai monopoly on incoming tourist. I think Thailand has entered a phase of diminishing returns on tourist investment.

This is a time for change in thinking and adaption to a new market share. It is a sick system at present with the scams, rip offs, dual prices, increase in prices, price fixing, same products as 10 year ago,(including some of the bar girls) etc. The man spouting this nonsense will probably not be in the International head hunters top 10 recruits.

Post of the day, thanks!