Advice On Ordination Please

Vertigotogo

I wonder if I could call on everyone's knowledge and experiences please? I have searched the forum for advice but most of it is out of date and the URL links 'broken'.

I wish to ordain in a Wat so that I might learn more about the Buddhist teachings, meditation and Thai culture. In my mind I have put aside a month for this, but am open-minded to the possibility that I may decide to do it indefinitely. I appreciate that one of the factors is finding a Wat that can accommodate my lack of Thai language.

My situation:

1. I am about 90% there on reading and writing Thai but can only understand about 1% of what I'm reading! (the studies continue..... smile.gif)

2. My girlfriend's family favour Wat Paknam, in Bangkok; my GF was there recently as a nun for 2 weeks

3. My natural language is English

4. My current spiritual beliefs are 'Buddhish' in nature. I have knowledge of the basic fundamentals of Buddhism and have been on a few meditation courses/retreats but have not received any formal teaching in Buddhism.

5. I live in Bangkok

So, my specific questions are:

1. Any foreigners have experience of ordaining at Wat Paknam in BKK?

2. Any other recommendations for suitable Wats in BKK?

Any other advice or recommendations would of course be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Wat Paknam is a good choice, as many foreigners have ordained there over the years. I believe there are around 5 farang monks there now, one of whom, a Scot, has been there a very long time. Thailand's first foreign monk, Kapilavaddho, was ordained here in 1954.

Wat Mahathat also has many years of experience with foreigners, and offers a special section of the wat dedicated to intensive meditation instruction and practice.

Thank you fabiafriend and sabaijai. I already emailed the 'monk-for-a-month' organisation a few days back; waiting to hear back from someone.

Wat Paknam (Baknam?) is looking current favourite so that I can 'keep it in the family' as it were. It will also help that my girlfriend and I will have undergone some of the same teachings.

Thank you again.

I would still be grateful for the experiences of anybody else.

jap.gif